daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 20th, 2014, 03:31 PM   #2101
XNeo

Likes (Received): 232

KLIA1 designed with concept of 'Airport in the forest, forest in the airport' ..
while for KLIA2 we can see nature's graphic with a modern touch.

both are beautiful in its own way.

naimabep liked this post
XNeo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 20th, 2014, 03:58 PM   #2102
EK413

Likes (Received): 1895

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgWay View Post
The airlines that will operate at KLIA2 may be low cost, but who ever says the airport have to be low cost?

The fees charged at KLIA2 will be exactly the same as the cow shed LCCT, the only additional charges are for the aerobridge which costs only 20 US cents or so per passenger for a fully loaded A320 or RM85 per use. MAHB the operator also diversify its revenue from retail as there will be 200 retail outlets at KLIA2. Property and retail development on the land around KLIA will also contribute to its income.
Thanks for the detailed response... Highly recommend reading my post again...

I was comparing KLIA2 with International airports and how it blows them out of the water...
Old April 20th, 2014, 04:07 PM   #2103
bagus70
Ես ցանկանում եմ ծծել ձեր

Likes (Received): 891

So what is the name of its architectural design? Postmodern? Neo-futurism? International-style?

I notice that both KLIA 2, Sepinggan new terminal (and to lesser extent, Juanda Terminal 2) has similar architectural design....

This type or architectural design was first introduced at Kansai airport, but later adopted at KLIA, Suvarnabhumi, and HKIA.
Old April 20th, 2014, 05:20 PM   #2104
SgWay

Likes (Received): 802

Quote:
Originally Posted by EK413 View Post
Thanks for the detailed response... Highly recommend reading my post again...

I was comparing KLIA2 with International airports and how it blows them out of the water...
Dont misunderstand me , i was never offended by your comment. So peace.

Just giving my opinion that a low cost airport was never a prerequisite for a LCC airport,at least in KLIA2 case. Some Malaysians also question why KLIA2 is like a full service airport for LCC that costs almost RM4 billion which to them is a waste of money.

What I think is that MAHB the operator and builder has created a benchmark or a business model where they provide a proper airport that could accommodate future growth in LCC by attempting to become a hub for LCC. It is expected that LCC passenger growth is projected to grow 3 percent yearly which was a reason KLIA2 size and design scope was significanly increased.The proper full airport facilities is also there to attract other LCC and enhance the image of KLIA2 as a hub since MAHB will have to compete with the likes of Bangkok and Chamgi which are already a bigger hub than KLIA. The design of the KLIA2 is both strategic and practical.MAHB is fortunate that it is a profitable entity with a large landbank plus its solid gold 'governmnet linked company' status with capitalistic objectives that allows it to afford and take the leap to build KLIA2.

If people ask why KLIA2 is a full blown aiport, it is because MAHB can afford to do it and confident.

Last edited by SgWay; April 20th, 2014 at 05:35 PM.
SgWay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2014, 05:26 PM   #2105
SgWay

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagus70 View Post
So what is the name of its architectural design? Postmodern? Neo-futurism? International-style?

I notice that both KLIA 2, Sepinggan new terminal (and to lesser extent, Juanda Terminal 2) has similar architectural design....

This type or architectural design was first introduced at Kansai airport, but later adopted at KLIA, Suvarnabhumi, and HKIA.
I am not familiar with architectual jargon. The design does remind me of a IKEA themed shopping mall and reminds me heavily of Adelaide airport.

Perhaps 'international style' is a correct term as the design seems to be universal and as you pointed put, is familiar in other aiports around the world.
Old April 20th, 2014, 06:32 PM   #2106
World 2 World
The World @ My Fingertips

Likes (Received): 4386

KLIA2

by Syafiq Salim

by LkmnHkms

by Adib Zahari

by Masrufi

by rafiqueapple

by akirayamaguchikumiko

by akirayamaguchikumiko

by Mohd Riziqin Hillan

by Syakir Khan

by Julie Nurafnie

by Wan azan

by aQIl zahra

by AKMYR

by Aizam Mujaini

by november_zulu

by Aziz Laikar
World 2 World no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2014, 06:00 AM   #2107
bagus70
Ես ցանկանում եմ ծծել ձեր

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgWay View Post
I am not familiar with architectual jargon. The design does remind me of a IKEA themed shopping mall and reminds me heavily of Adelaide airport.

Perhaps 'international style' is a correct term as the design seems to be universal and as you pointed put, is familiar in other aiports around the world.
After some browsing, then I realize that the right term used to describe the architectural style of those airports is "High Tech Modernism"

Just like modernism architecture, its design and shape followed its function. But it also involving elements of high tech.

I think the first airport in the world to use this kind of design was TWA terminal in JFK Airport USA.

The first in Asia was Kansai airport (in fact Renzo Piano, along with Sir Norman Foster, are known are the proponents of Hi Tech Modernism), followed by HKIA in Chep Lap Kok.

KLIA is the first airport in South East Asia to use this architectural design, followed by Suvarnabhumi airport in Bangkok and Hassanudin airport in Makassar, Indonesia. Both of them also involving elements of traditional architecture.

More info about high tech architecture:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-tech_architecture
Old April 21st, 2014, 08:31 AM   #2108
CxIxMaN

Likes (Received): 888

Can I say that it is smartphone design influenced

It reminds me of IOS 7

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones

A.Einstein

Public transport is the way to transportation revolution

A MAYOR of Bogota is reported to have said: “A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. It’s where the rich use public transportation.”
CxIxMaN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2014, 03:26 PM   #2109
ddes

Likes (Received): 934

Quote:
After some browsing, then I realize that the right term used to describe the architectural style of those airports is "High Tech Modernism"
KLIA2 looks more like neo-futurism with an equatorial/tropical theme to me.
ddes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2014, 04:18 PM   #2110
SgWay

Bloomberg interview picking MAHB CFO Faizal Mansor's brain on KLIA2 and its vision.

Old April 22nd, 2014, 12:20 PM   #2111
World 2 World

Old April 22nd, 2014, 01:15 PM   #2112
sepul

Likes (Received): 1586

To me this KLIA2 is best described as a combination of "Retro Futurism" & "Tropical Living" theme. I hope that makes sense..

SgWay liked this post
sepul no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2014, 02:59 PM   #2113
SgWay

I still think its interesting to guess and assume the architectural inspirations of KLIA2 Such a brain teaser

Here is a video of the virtual tour that highlights the elements in KLIA2

The interior decorations may be mostly artificial but they mimick natural or cultural elements. The white facade, curvatures and lines also emphasize modernity(my personal opinion). The LAT cartoons are incorporated to project a Malaysiam image to an otherwise 'cultureless' design.

Last edited by SgWay; April 22nd, 2014 at 03:07 PM.
Old April 22nd, 2014, 05:04 PM   #2114
Yellow Fever
City Of Rain

Likes (Received): 56177

no more personal attack!
Yellow Fever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2014, 05:09 PM   #2115
bagus70
Ես ցանկանում եմ ծծել ձեր

Nevertheless, the architectural style of KLIA does really inspire airport architects around South East Asia to adopt this kind of futuristic design into their airports, even down to small airports too!
Old April 25th, 2014, 11:20 AM   #2116
World 2 World

KLIA2

by julianwes
Old April 25th, 2014, 01:58 PM   #2117
World 2 World

AirAsia trials @ KLIA2

by Fikri Apandi

by Muhammad Muzakhir

by rafiqueapple

SgWay liked this post
Old April 25th, 2014, 06:57 PM   #2118
World 2 World

by KEYSTONE
Old April 26th, 2014, 03:54 AM   #2119
bagus70
Ես ցանկանում եմ ծծել ձեր

Is there any dedicated LRT that connecting KLIA 2 and KLIA? Or does passengers have to use ERL or buses?

SgWay liked this post
bagus70 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2014, 07:45 AM   #2120
SgWay

Quote:
Is there any dedicated LRT that connecting KLIA 2 and KLIA? Or does passengers have to use ERL or buses?
There will be connection by ERL.The ERL Ekspres will continue to KLIA2 after stopping at KLIA1. The fare between KLIA1 and KLIA2 will be RM2. I am not sure if buses will be provided since the ERL transfer is already very cheap.

During the Open Day tomorrow 1000 people will be able to ride the ERL trial run to KLIA2 from KL Sentral by booking a free ticket online, and Im lucky to be one of them.

Last edited by SgWay; April 26th, 2014 at 07:52 AM.

Tags
airport, airports, klia, kuala lumpur, malaysia, south asian hub airport