daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 28th, 2003, 06:04 PM   #201
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18239

KL Photos, including a section on KLIA

http://www.geocities.com/asiaglobe/gallery/malaysia.htm

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 3rd, 2003, 07:50 PM   #202
ethan

Likes (Received): 5

Now pasengers of Cathay Pacific can also used the KL Sentral City Air Terminal where they check in directly in KL SEntral as well like the Malaysia Airlines pasengers
ethan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2003, 08:58 AM   #203
TYW
Penang Skyscrapers Hunter

Likes (Received): 28

nice pics HK skyline. thanks for the link

"the said Municipality of George Town shall on the First Day of January in the Year of our Lord one thousand nine hundred and fifty seven and forever thereafter be a city and shall be called and styled the CITY OF GEORGE TOWN instead of the Municipality of George Town and shall thenceforth have all such rank, liberties, privileges and immunities as are incident to a city." - Queen Elizabeth II
TYW no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2003, 03:57 AM   #204
PhiloSurfer

Likes (Received):

Pablo - don't quite understand this thing about the tallest control tower in the world. Why go for height at an airport where the surrounding area is flat. What's next??? The biggest computer chip???
Old March 15th, 2003, 02:45 PM   #205
baqthier
RISING LIKE A SPIRE!

Likes (Received): 10

<table cellpadding=4 cellspacing=0 width=98% class="quoteBox">
<td align=left valign=center> <smallfont> <b>Quote</B> <I>originally posted by PhiloSurfer </i></b> </smallfont> </td>
<tr><td align=left valign=top>Pablo - don't quite understand this thing about the tallest control tower in the world. Why go for height at an airport where the surrounding area is flat. What's next??? The biggest computer chip???</td></tr>
</table>

KLIA has 2 big runaways(4000m long) and it will grow within 30 yrs to come. There is a need for height to see the entire stretch and the take-off/landing activities.
baqthier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2003, 03:10 PM   #206
hypermount

Likes (Received): 22

<td align=left valign=center> <smallfont> <b>Quote</B> <I>originally posted by PhiloSurfer </i></b> </smallfont> </td>
<tr><td align=left valign=top>Pablo - don't quite understand this thing about the tallest control tower in the world. Why go for height at an airport where the surrounding area is flat. What's next??? The biggest computer chip???</td></tr>
</table>

The world's fastest computer microprocessor or chip would be more appropraite . Nothing is impossible, that is our philosophy.

Moto BARISAN NASIONAL: "United we stand, united we fall".

Moto PAKATAN RANJANG: "United we stand, you fall yourself lah".
hypermount no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2003, 07:10 PM   #207
ti999

Likes (Received):

I've been there once. The service wasn't that great.
But the design is pretty cool.
Old March 16th, 2003, 11:17 AM   #208
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Likes (Received): 4

As I have mentioned in another thread, 4000 metres is common. Changi is 4000 too. The height is obviously more to do with the entire area of the airport rather then the length of runways. And well....if you have the resources, why not add a bit more height to have another reason to trumpet to the world? :P

Anyway PhiloSurfer, a computer chip dosent get more advanced by being bigger......its the other way round. hehehe
huaiwei no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2003, 08:30 PM   #209
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Likes (Received): 1830

</table>

Like what Huaiwei had said, the height is relative to the airport's large area that it covered. The current airport structure is only about a quarter of its fully expanded size and I believe it would be wise to built something that is future-proof rather than to have a short control tower and then built a taller one when need arises.

BTW even the current control tower had to be assisted by an apron control tower (yes another smaller control tower further away) which serves the air cargo flights.

Now KLIA has one satellite building but the future expansion would see it quadrupled to 4 satellite buildings and another main terminal building. That would require a lot of land and currently KLIA is the world's largest airport in terms of land size (to enable future expansion and to prevent housing and towns from creeping too near the airport).

hope that clears up the air......
szehoong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2003, 11:27 AM   #210
TYW

<td align=left valign=center> <smallfont> <b>Quote</B> <I>originally posted by szehoong </i></b> </smallfont> </td>
<tr><td align=left valign=top><table cellpadding=4 cellspacing=0 width=98% class="quoteBox">
</table>

Like what Huaiwei had said, the height is relative to the airport's large area that it covered. The current airport structure is only about a quarter of its fully expanded size and I believe it would be wise to built something that is future-proof rather than to have a short control tower and then built a taller one when need arises.

BTW even the current control tower had to be assisted by an apron control tower (yes another smaller control tower further away) which serves the air cargo flights.

Now KLIA has one satellite building but the future expansion would see it quadrupled to 4 satellite buildings and another main terminal building. That would require a lot of land and currently KLIA is the world's largest airport in terms of land size (to enable future expansion and to prevent housing and towns from creeping too near the airport).

hope that clears up the air...... </td></tr>
</table>

is there a plan or randering of the expansion?? i wonder how will KLIA look like in the future

"the said Municipality of George Town shall on the First Day of January in the Year of our Lord one thousand nine hundred and fifty seven and forever thereafter be a city and shall be called and styled the CITY OF GEORGE TOWN instead of the Municipality of George Town and shall thenceforth have all such rank, liberties, privileges and immunities as are incident to a city." - Queen Elizabeth II
Old March 26th, 2003, 09:28 PM   #211
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

TYW > Basically the expansion would be having the same design as the current buildings if everything goes according to plan. Just that the buildings would double or quadrupled that's all....hehe
Old March 28th, 2003, 11:41 AM   #212
PhiloSurfer

Likes (Received):

szehoong,

That is my point precisely. It is not that this particular height is required, even for future requirements. It is that in Malaysia Boleh, everything must be superlative. It has to be the tallest in the world. My point is, an unnecessary tall tower in an airport is inviting accidents to happen. That's why I mentioned the biggest IC - to show how the pursuit of world record can lead to silliness. This is not pure speculation. If you just look at all the monuments erected in MY in the last decade, you will know what I mean. Tallest this, longest that, biggest this and what have you. Very soon they will come up with the world's biggest bonsai plant.
Old March 28th, 2003, 01:47 PM   #213
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Likes (Received): 4

Er...PhiloSurfer, a super tall control tower...if it causes a plane to crash into it...it is probably suffering from severe power failure...

I get wat u mean lah....I remember there is this longest shopping mall over the river, for instance, and I dunno if it is existing already or not...plus other stuff that have slipped out of my consciousness. But to me, so long that they are economically viable, and are practical, there is nothing wrong with going for something monumental. Ie...if you build a super tall and can fill all the offices, u build a big mall and it becomes teeming with tenants and consumers, then why not. Some might be controversial, but well...that is all in the spirit of advancement and development, and basically of stirring the local people that certain limits are there to be broken.

I remember how when the OUB Centre was built in Singapore, and the then Westin Stamford was built, they were important phsychological markers for a still developing Singapore, and still are to many of us now. Every city developing too fast (within a generation) probably needs something to tell her citizens to wake up and do something. We have done it before, and so will they. If the whole of SEA sees more of such developments, and graps the attention of the money-rich foreign investors...we need not complain.
huaiwei no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2003, 10:58 AM   #214
TYW

szehoong, they should start construction soon so that i can visit the whole place when i go to KL. he he........

PhiloSurfer, i don't think they will build a tower tall enough to cause accidents, the government want more tourists to come to our country and don't want an accident to scare off the tourists!!

Old April 2nd, 2003, 11:39 AM   #215
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

just on a more of a common sense point-of-view........no one would be stupid enough to put a flight path over the control tower. They could even have the world's tallest building there and no plane would crash into it........
Old April 5th, 2003, 04:06 PM   #216
TYW

<td align=left valign=center> <smallfont> <b>Quote</B> <I>originally posted by szehoong </i></b> </smallfont> </td>
<tr><td align=left valign=top>just on a more of a common sense point-of-view........no one would be stupid enough to put a flight path over the control tower. They could even have the world's tallest building there and no plane would crash into it........ </td></tr>
</table>

really?? i thought there is a limit for that height for planes not to crash into the tower

Old June 29th, 2003, 07:29 AM   #217
Kevinkhoo1986

Likes (Received): 1

wow
Old October 1st, 2003, 07:50 AM   #218
nazrey

Likes (Received): 11287

Last edited by nazrey; April 30th, 2004 at 12:32 PM.
nazrey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2003, 07:50 AM   #219
nazrey

Old October 1st, 2003, 07:52 AM   #220
nazrey

Tags
airport, airports, klia, kuala lumpur, malaysia, south asian hub airport