daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 13th, 2004, 05:09 PM   #261
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Likes (Received): 1830

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrizzyChris
KLIA is a great airport, the only thing I don't like about it, is that it is so far from KL.

yea....lotsa people complained bout that but I always told people to accept the fact that this airport are built with the future in mind. In fact this airport are expected to served well to the end of this century - yes...it is a 100 years plan.

The previous Subang International Airport when built in the 60s are also very far away from the city but in the early 90s......residential and commercial developments creep literally to its doorsteps! This also further worsen the traffic and many misses flight because of the bad traffic situation along the highways.

So to solved this problem, KLIA is located near the coast and it is tha largest airport in the world interms of land size as the govt wants such landbank to prevent developments popping up around the airport
szehoong no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 13th, 2004, 05:10 PM   #262
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Passenger traffic at KLIA ‘likely to hit 19 million’

PUTRAJAYA: Passenger traffic at the KL International Airport is expected to hit more than 19 million by the end of the year, surpassing the estimated figure of 18.5 million.

The revised figure is due to the healthy growth in passenger movement at the airport in the first four months of the year.

Transport Minister Datuk Seri Chan Kong Choy said KLIA recorded a 19.4% growth in passenger movement during that period due in part to the booming tourism industry and the return of several foreign passenger airlines to the airport, including Lufthansa.

“This growth is very encouraging. We have estimated the growth this year to be only by one million passengers to 18.5 million, but judging by KLIA’s performance in the first four months, we expect the increase to hit 19 million.

“We are confident that within the next few years, KLIA will start operating at its maximum capacity of 25 million passengers,” he told reporters at his office yesterday.

He said that currently 35 foreign passenger airlines flew into KLIA, adding that eleven of them had increased the frequency of their service to the airport by 7% or 21 additional services in the first four months of the year.

Chan said KLIA would also benefit from the plan by Malaysia Airlines to increase its services to China from the present five destinations to eight by early next year as Chinese passenger airlines would reciprocate by increasing their flights to KLIA from the new MAS destinations.

MAS currently flies to Beijing, Shanghai, Xiamen, Guangzhou and Hong Kong.

Asked about a report that MAS was considering imposing a passenger fuel levy to offset soaring oil prices, Chan said: “Not at the moment.”
Old May 15th, 2004, 03:45 AM   #263
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

KLIA first in region to get global safety certification

SEPANG: KL International Airport has become the first terminal in the Asia-Pacific region to have its facilities, equipment and operations certified as conforming to international standards of safety.

Transport Minister Datuk Seri Chan Kong Choy said KLIA’s certification was ahead of over 50 other countries in the region, including developed nations like Japan, Singapore and Australia.

“The certification is a new requirement under the International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO), which calls for all international airports to provide uniform safety conditions for all aircraft.

“The requirement is in line with the rapid air transport growth, increasing airport privatisation trend and increasing global concerns on aviation safety.

“The awarding of this certificate to KLIA shows that all facilities, equipment and operational procedures are complying with the standard and recommended practices under ICAO
,” he said after witnessing the presentation of the certificate to Malaysia Airports (Sepang) Sdn Bhd here yesterday.

The certification was given after auditing by the Civil Aviation Department.

This, added Chan, would ensure that KLIA’s aircraft operations, especially in the handling of new large aircraft like the Airbus 380, were safe and efficient.

Chan said the next airport to be certified under the ICAO standards would be the Bayan Lepas International Airport in Penang, followed by Kota Kinabalu, Kuching, Johor and Langkawi.

“Malaysia Airports plans to certify all its international and domestic airports by 2006,” he said.
Old May 26th, 2004, 09:38 AM   #264
Ijud

Likes (Received): 3

KLIA - 1st in Asia Pacific to be certified by Green Globe 21

The Star 25/05/2004

MALAYSIA Airports Holdings Bhd (MAHB) is stepping up efforts to recover bad debts arising from outstanding rentals from retail tenants at KL International Airport (KLIA).

“We are taking this (recovery of bad debts) seriously. We have already started taking action,'' chairman Tan Sri Dr Aris Othman said, adding that the amount due was “substantial''.

MAHB had offered reasonable discounts to tenants due to the harsh business conditions caused by last year's Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome outbreak, he said.

In the financial year ended Dec 31, 2003, MAHB had made nearly RM80mil in provision for bad debt, of which some RM65mil or over 80% was unpaid rental from KLIA tenants. As a result, the group's net profit was halved to RM80.9mil.

Aris said in recovering the amount owed to MAHB, the company would follow the proper procedures and the tenants would initially be given a warning.

The last resort would be closing down the retail shops concerned, he told the press after receiving the Green Globe 21 certification for KLIA in Sepang yesterday.

KLIA is the first airport in Asia Pacific to be certified by Green Globe 21 – a global environmental programme for the travel and tourism industry.

Aris also said the number of passengers to KLIA rose to six million in the first four months of this year compared with 5.2 million in the previous corresponding period, boosted by an increase in frequencies of existing airlines and also new airlines flying into KLIA, particularly AirAsia.

He said AirAsia alone brought in two million passengers last year, which represented about 11% of the 17.7 million passengers received by KLIA last year.

Aris also said KLIA would continue to monitor passenger traffic and construct new facilities to cater solely to low-cost carriers when the need arose. He said, the airport was exploring opportunities to woo more no-frills airlines to KLIA.
Ijud no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2004, 09:59 AM   #265
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by szehoong
Passenger traffic at KLIA ‘likely to hit 19 million’
Yoz....the next phase of the airport will be built when they handle how many millions of passengers?

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
huaiwei no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2004, 05:14 PM   #266
Ijud

Quote:
Originally Posted by huaiwei
Yoz....the next phase of the airport will be built when they handle how many millions of passengers?
It's gonna be very soon!
Old May 28th, 2004, 03:54 PM   #267
TYW
Penang Skyscrapers Hunter

Likes (Received): 28

another set of great pics, nazrey thanks

i haven't been to KLIA till now but i'm sure i'll love it

"the said Municipality of George Town shall on the First Day of January in the Year of our Lord one thousand nine hundred and fifty seven and forever thereafter be a city and shall be called and styled the CITY OF GEORGE TOWN instead of the Municipality of George Town and shall thenceforth have all such rank, liberties, privileges and immunities as are incident to a city." - Queen Elizabeth II
TYW no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2004, 10:44 AM   #268
ethan

Likes (Received): 5

Few pictures of KLIA at 6 a.m.

Malaysia Truly Asia
ethan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2004, 04:54 PM   #269
ignoramus

Likes (Received): 4

I always liked the architecture of KLIA. No other airport in SEA, even uncompleted ones, that being Bangkok, can rival KLIA in terms of the general architecture of the terminal... I like the fact also that they planned the layout so meticulously and neatly for future expansion...

But then again the prospect of transferring to an Aerotrain to just get to your flight where trolleys are not allowed is something to look forward to. But I guess it a small sacrifice to cater for the future needs of KLIA. Connectivity is as usual an issue but the future looks promising...

When will they probably start on their next phase of expansion? Will all the new satellite terminals and the new main terminal building addition have the same design as before?
ignoramus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2004, 10:02 PM   #270
blue_man100
Motorways Runner

Likes (Received): 32569

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan
Few pictures of KLIA at 6 a.m.

Is a nice airport building !

Hey, what are those big eyes in that column??
Survilliance cameras ??
Old September 6th, 2004, 11:55 AM   #271
DTGR

Likes (Received): 0

even tho its in a great location and the outside looks ok...theres something about it i dont like..maybe those weird shaped collums in the check in area..is this like modern malaysian architecture?
Tho i cant really judge by just some pictures
DTGR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2004, 12:24 PM   #272
nazrey

Likes (Received): 11286

KLIA thread in Malaysia forum (KLIA's new website up)!

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=119809
nazrey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2004, 01:23 PM   #273
Ijud

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTGR
even tho its in a great location and the outside looks ok...theres something about it i dont like..maybe those weird shaped collums in the check in area..is this like modern malaysian architecture?
It seems that this 'weird' design is better than those 'common' design isn't it??!!
Old September 6th, 2004, 01:36 PM   #274
baqthier
RISING LIKE A SPIRE!

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_man100
Is a nice airport building !

Hey, what are those big eyes in that column??
Survilliance cameras ??
Airconditioning..all of those columns have those
baqthier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2004, 05:36 AM   #275
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

New satellite building plan for KLIA

SEPANG: A new satellite building at the KL International Airport will be operational before the airport reaches its capacity in three years time.

PROJECT LAUNCHING: Chan performing the groundbreaking ceremony for AirAsia’s Simulator Complex in Sepang yesterday, as AirAsia chairman Datuk Pahamin A. Rajab (right) looks on. The complex is due to be completed in February next year. — Bernamapic

Transport Minister Datuk Seri Chan Kong Choy said KLIA would reach its capacity of 25 million arrivals in “two to three years.”

“We have started planning to expand the capacity of KLIA by building a new satellite building to the structure.

“The current number of passenger arrivals is expected to reach 19.5 million this year, so in two to three years, KLIA would have reached its capacity,” he said.

Chan earlier performed the ground-breaking ceremony for AirAsia's Simulator Complex here yesterday.

On another matter, Chan said any decision to turn the Sultan Abdul Aziz Shah Airport in Subang into a hub for low-fare air travel would be based on national interest.

“It is a major decision and we are looking at various aspects like convenience to the public, cost of operating low-cost airlines and connectivity,” he said.

Earlier, Chan said the complex was a boost to the country’s aviation industry and could serve as a training ground for pilots in the region.

He said the Government also welcomed the alliance between AirAsia and CAE, a leading training solutions provider on advance simulation and control technology, as it could propel the country into the forefront of pilot training.
Old September 21st, 2004, 05:51 AM   #276
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignoramus

But then again the prospect of transferring to an Aerotrain to just get to your flight where trolleys are not allowed is something to look forward to. But I guess it a small sacrifice to cater for the future needs of KLIA. Connectivity is as usual an issue but the future looks promising...

When will they probably start on their next phase of expansion? Will all the new satellite terminals and the new main terminal building addition have the same design as before?

Traditionally and for safety reasons.......all aerotrains in all airports (yea......including the aerotrain connecting T1 & T2 at Changi) won't allow any trolleys into em

The most annoying however are those non-trolley-friendly escalators at Sydney Airport. I had to find a place to park the trolley before decending/accending any escalator there.

Actually one's hand luggage shouldn't be a burden to oneself that a trolley is a must to go around the terminal.
Old September 21st, 2004, 05:54 AM   #277
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTGR

Actually those columns and the parabolic roofing at the terminal buildings are abstract interpretation of a tree and rainforest canopy respectively
Old September 29th, 2004, 10:58 PM   #278
Ijud

Hi guys... here r sum pics I've taken after watching the F1 PowerBoat last Sunday...

P/S: I'm not a pro photographer... please excuse my dull pictures !!!

The aerobridges at the domestic part of the airport aka contact pier... behind is the VVIP Complex dubbed Kompleks Bunga Raya

The other side of the contact pier...

The aerotrain... 2-car Adtranz(now Bombardier) CX-100s

The inside part of contact pier

View of Level 5 (Departure Hall) Main Terminal Building...

A mini gallery of Royal Selangor Pewter... the world's finest pewter!!

Another view of Level 5 Main Terminal Building...

Another one... DHL advert at the upper part of the glass elevator...

A view of the steel supports for the glasses...

Level 3 (Arrival Hall)... Delifrance Cafe...

World's tallest control tower... for now

KLIA Transit waiting lounge...

Inside KLIA Transit train overlooking the waiting lounge and escalators...

Info screen inside the train...
Old September 30th, 2004, 01:23 AM   #279
baqthier
RISING LIKE A SPIRE!

Likes (Received): 10

Awesome pics! I miss those days! And BTW, how did you get in there!?
baqthier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2004, 01:34 AM   #280
kiretoce
I got my eye on you.

Likes (Received): 453

Great shots! KLIA is really a beautifully designed and well-maintained airport.

Tags
airport, airports, klia, kuala lumpur, malaysia, south asian hub airport