daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 30th, 2004, 07:19 AM   #281
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Likes (Received): 1830

Quote:
Originally Posted by baqthier
Awesome pics! I miss those days! And BTW, how did you get in there!?

Get in where?

He took all these pictures from places accessible by the public

Sponsored Links
Old September 30th, 2004, 08:03 AM   #282
Ijud

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by baqthier
Awesome pics! I miss those days! And BTW, how did you get in there!?
I never heard dat KLIA was barred from da public !?? I took those pics from 'Anjung Tinjau' or Viewing Area... I also noticed that there is part where the roofs are made of flat but intriguing glass roof... and they used eaves to shade the sunshine...
Ijud no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2004, 08:36 AM   #283
baqthier
RISING LIKE A SPIRE!

Likes (Received): 10

oh nvm. I tot this was the satellite building
http://img44.exs.cx/img44/7179/DSC2017.jpg
baqthier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2004, 09:20 AM   #284
Ijud

Owh... now i understand... u tot it was Satellite building b'coz of the B747-400 right??! But i tot they dun use dat aircraft to fly domestic routes right!! But i took B777-200 to Langkawi during Lima last year... and it was FULL although I sat on first class (on a business class ticket)!!
Old October 7th, 2004, 05:16 AM   #285
SoHo~
All bout Sex and The City

Likes (Received): 0

In terms of designs , KLIA is awesome !!! Very Modern and Sufficient , Classy And Magnificent !!! Can't wait for KLIA to build their second phase . KLIA rules !!
SoHo~ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2004, 11:49 AM   #286
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ijud
Owh... now i understand... u tot it was Satellite building b'coz of the B747-400 right??! But i tot they dun use dat aircraft to fly domestic routes right!! But i took B777-200 to Langkawi during Lima last year... and it was FULL although I sat on first class (on a business class ticket)!!

Sometimes International flights do dock at the Main Terminal Building. When I came back from Hong Kong 2 months back, the 747-400 I am in docked there.

I guess the Satellite building is full

.....anyway did you guys know that the two contact piers nearest to the centre of the MTB have the largest aircraft parking space. So I guess the A380 wouldn't have any problem docking there
Old October 7th, 2004, 11:51 AM   #287
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ijud
But i tot they dun use dat aircraft to fly domestic routes right!!

Well......sometimes they do use the 747-400s to fly domestic esp to Kota Kinabalu during peak periods
Old October 7th, 2004, 01:40 PM   #288
Solblanc
hot

Likes (Received): 321

*sigh* my favourite airport next to HKIA... when budget airlines start serving this place from Manila, I'll be on the first plane there...
Old October 7th, 2004, 08:40 PM   #289
Ijud

I haven't tried it before but.... can a domestic passenger ride the aerotrain to the satellite building?? I know they they can transfer flights (international <> domestic) but with domestic ticket can arr??
Old October 7th, 2004, 08:48 PM   #290
Ijud

- edit
Old October 10th, 2004, 09:16 AM   #291
liping_t

have you guys noticed the mamak on (em)...flr rite above the Arrival hall? They should get rid of it! It's making the nice marble floor all oily!

Oh, does anyone know whether KLIA has plans for complete wireless internet access throughout the building? It is super for passing the time :P
liping_t no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2004, 01:13 PM   #292
Ijud

KLIA do have free WiFi hotspots around the waiting areas... at mtb and satellite...
Old October 10th, 2004, 01:30 PM   #293
Ijud

Serious ke KLIA got mamak?? U mean at the Airlines office floor izit??
Old October 11th, 2004, 01:58 AM   #294
liping_t

Yep! Yep! That's where it is, rite above the Arrival area. Boy, not a good place....first, it detracts from the ambience of the Hall, 2nd, it is dirty and oily, 3rd, it is noisy.....they should move it elsewhere!

But hey, I knew abt the wifi hotspots, but wondering whether they are going to expand it to cover the whole MTB and the Satellite terminal.....convinient for the consumer.

Another thing, hopefully Malaysia Airports will replace the tv monitors soon. Looking quite outdated now, and upgrade to LCD/Plasma screens info displays...
liping_t no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2004, 10:44 AM   #295
Ijud

I missed the good old skool info screens at subang ... the green monocrome displays...
Old October 11th, 2004, 08:58 PM   #296
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Quote:
Originally Posted by liping_t
Yep! Yep! That's where it is, rite above the Arrival area. Boy, not a good place....first, it detracts from the ambience of the Hall, 2nd, it is dirty and oily, 3rd, it is noisy.....they should move it elsewhere!

But hey, I knew abt the wifi hotspots, but wondering whether they are going to expand it to cover the whole MTB and the Satellite terminal.....convinient for the consumer.

Another thing, hopefully Malaysia Airports will replace the tv monitors soon. Looking quite outdated now, and upgrade to LCD/Plasma screens info displays...

wow!.......I was at KLIA 3 times within the last 2 months and I missed it?!?!?! ........I am a big mamak fan....how come I dunno?

anyway about WIFI......well......I am pretty sure other WiFi providers do not have hotspots at KLIA (e.g. Time Broadband, AirZed, TMnet's Hotspots) but Maxis WLAN do have 2 there. They are:

1) MAS Golden Lounge (International)
2) Plaza Premium Lounge

Okay.....one dun have to be inside the lounges to use the service as the WiFi signal does stray outside the lounges ..........just grab a seat at any of the benches around the lounges and you'll get WiFi signals. I personally haven't tested it before but I have numerous customers whom did it before ( yea.....I used to work at Maxis ).

I strongly suggest other WiFi providers to provide WiFi access at KLIA as KLIA is definitely lacking in broadband connection. And Maxis WLAN isn't all that good either but there are flexibility if you're a Maxis Mobile customer - you could sign up for a day usage for RM5 via SMS
Old October 14th, 2004, 10:48 AM   #297
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

KLIA gets the thumbs-up from British travellers

KUALA LUMPUR: The KL International Airport (KLIA) was voted second in the Best Airport category of the Telegraph Travel Awards 2004.

Changi Airport got first place in the category while Dubai Airport emerged third, Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd said in a statement yesterday.

The Telegraph Travel Awards, launched in 1998, invites a select group of The Daily Telegraph and The Sunday Telegraph readers every year to vote for their likes and dislikes of modern travel.

Malaysia Airports said KLIA general manager Azmi Murad received the award in London last Monday.

“This is indeed another remarkable achievement for KLIA,” said Malaysia Airports managing director Datuk Bashir Ahmad.

Earlier this month, KLIA was voted third in the Favourite Asian Airport category of the TIME Readers’ Travel Choice Awards. – Bernama
Old October 14th, 2004, 12:10 PM   #298
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

MAS gains reputation for cheap airfares

MALAYSIA Airlines is gaining a reputation in New York for having some of the lowest online airfares for travellers wanting to visit Asian cities.

According to the NYP Travel section in the New York Post on Tuesday, these low fares are being offered between Oct 1 and Nov 22; and Jan 16 to March 31 next year.

It said malaysianairlines.com offered return trips from Newark airport to Asia from US$599 (RM2,276).

The flight to Kuala Lumpur from New York was US$599, while the next-cheapest found online was US$884 (RM3,359).

The return fare to Bangkok was US$669 (RM2,542), compared with the next-cheapest fare online at US$801 (RM3,044).

The fare to Jakarta was US$699 (RM2,656), while the next-cheapest online is US$986 (RM3,747).

The deadline to book flights with the low fares is next Saturday.

On another issue, the next time you enter the washroom of an exclusive club, restaurant or hotel spare a thought for the person who hands you a towel after you wash your hands.

The tip you leave them will go a long way to supplement their low wages.

In New York, firms that provide such services have been ripping off their workers by not paying them basic wages and even taking part of their tips.

New York Attorney-General Elliot Spitzer said there were more than 40 well-known establishments that worked with bathroom concession firms that illegally skim from tips and do not pay the attendants the stipulated hourly wage.

What is even more appalling is that besides not paying the hourly wages they charge the attendants 25% to 30% of their tips just to get the bathroom job.

Spitzer has filed a US$4mil (RM15.2mil) lawsuit against a top bathroom concession firm, rightly named Royal Flush.
Old October 16th, 2004, 04:56 AM   #299
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

KLIA voted among the top airports

PETALING JAYA: The KL International Airport (KLIA) won its third award in a single month when it was ranked third for Aetra’s Best Airport Worldwide 2003 award.

The award, which is Aetra's customer satisfaction benchmark programme, was an improvement for KLIA, which was placed fifth previously.

Earlier this month, KLIA was voted second in the Best Airport category of the Telegraph Travel Awards 2004 and third in the Favourite Asian Airport category of the Time Readers’ Travel Choice Awards.

Dubai International Airport emerged first in the Aetra award while Changi Airport came in second.
Old November 1st, 2004, 05:07 PM   #300
Ijud

Tags
airport, airports, klia, kuala lumpur, malaysia, south asian hub airport