daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 13th, 2002, 10:03 AM   #21
Pablo
Jian Fa

Likes (Received): 3

Hey the control tower is the world tallest

Sponsored Links
Old September 13th, 2002, 05:10 PM   #22
TYW
Penang Skyscrapers Hunter

Likes (Received): 28

Pablo, u scan postcard?

"the said Municipality of George Town shall on the First Day of January in the Year of our Lord one thousand nine hundred and fifty seven and forever thereafter be a city and shall be called and styled the CITY OF GEORGE TOWN instead of the Municipality of George Town and shall thenceforth have all such rank, liberties, privileges and immunities as are incident to a city." - Queen Elizabeth II
TYW no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2002, 09:29 PM   #23
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Likes (Received): 1830

I love KLIA. So far the nicest airport I've been to!

I've been to the airport more than 20 times! Maybe even 30.....I actually lost count!!!
szehoong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2002, 02:12 AM   #24
DrumCorpsAlum
Phoenix, AZ/Camden, SC

Likes (Received): 0

Wow! That's a sharp looking airpost!
DrumCorpsAlum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2002, 08:04 AM   #25
tall_dude

Likes (Received):

is it just me...or is it that every single time i visit KLIA, it seems like an empty, waste of money and space??

Or are they just planning for the future??

apologise for my naivety hehe

Old September 14th, 2002, 08:20 AM   #26
baqthier
RISING LIKE A SPIRE!

Likes (Received): 10

it's part of a 30-year masterplan, definitely it is for the future. Plus, the city, Putrajaya close to the airport is growing and new urban areas too. And it is also aiming to have 25million passengers a year. BTW, it has already served as a world class airport and won several awards. In 2001, it handled 14.6million, which is higher than 2000 which was 13.2million
baqthier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2002, 08:43 AM   #27
hypermount

Likes (Received): 22

It's not an airport man, it's spaceport
hypermount no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2002, 06:54 PM   #28
de flatneuroot
Lord of the Lampposts

Likes (Received): 178

Nice pictures.

That trainstation looks very good. Looks little bit as two Elephant heads with trunks.
Old September 17th, 2002, 01:22 PM   #29
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Likes (Received): 1830

The current configuration of the airport is for the timespan of 30 years (might include a second satellite terminal opposite the current one). After the final phase of development there would be 4 satellite terminals, 2 Main building terminals, 1 VIP terminal and 2 external airport hotel buildings. The grand masterplan is to served for 100 years of expansion.

The reason why the airport is 'empty' is because that the airport is designed in such a way that even at its peak period (I've seen its peak period), the airport will not look congested.
szehoong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2002, 09:00 AM   #30
Pablo
Jian Fa

Likes (Received): 3

HMmmm......malaysia semakin maju liao
Old September 22nd, 2002, 06:50 PM   #31
D_Y2k.2

Likes (Received):

MALAYSIA BOLEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:P
Hahahahaha!KLIA is the best man!but ah now this Bangkok kia su liao.Coz they wan to build a tower that is about 1 metre taller!Hahahahaha!read an article that the bangkok president said he wants the Airport to be better than KLIA.
Old September 26th, 2002, 06:55 AM   #32
ethan

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally posted by de flatneuroot
Nice pictures.

That trainstation looks very good. Looks little bit as two Elephant heads with trunks.

anyway......the train is the ERL(Express Rail Link) which connect KLIA with KL Sentral, Malaysia new railway hub.

Malaysia Truly Asia

Last edited by ethan; September 26th, 2002 at 07:03 AM.
ethan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2002, 04:02 PM   #33
D_Y2k.2

Likes (Received):

Now KLIA is very crowded liao compared to last time.Thelast time i went that was July was extremely crowded!I love te ERL's station.very cool looking.

'Selamat datang ke Kuala Lumpur International Spaceport'!
Old October 4th, 2002, 05:53 AM   #34
Irish Blood English Heart
Letting off the happiness

Likes (Received): 376

Yes KLIA is so much more beautiful in the flesh than in these pictures the floors and marble, the check ins and shops so well blended in and the rainforest in the international airport perfect.

When I was there the train was under construction and it was a 1 hour drive to KL.

Yes the airport does feel under-used at times but id rather have space than be crowded like at JFK or Heathrow.

KLIA is the best airport in the world.
Irish Blood English Heart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2002, 07:42 PM   #35
SEED

Likes (Received): 6

amboi!! cantiknya!!!!!! i wanna go there 1 day~ my parents hav been there 2 times already and they always get lost inda airport/spaceport?? my mother say iz like lost inda spaceship...
anyway~ i love this place~

D_Y2K.2> Selamat Datang Ke Kuala Lumpur Universal Spaceport...
SEED no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2002, 06:41 PM   #36
ethan

Likes (Received): 5

KLIA=Shopping Mall???

9th October 2002, The Star

KLIA to go on promotion drive

By M. HAFIDZ MAHPAR in Sepang
THE KL International Airport (KLIA) in Sepang is to embark on an aggressive marketing campaign to turn itself into the preferred shopping destination in the region.

The multi-million-ringgit programme, to be launched by Transport Minister Datuk Seri Dr Ling Liong Sik tomorrow, is an extension of the KLIA comprehensive marketing initiative called Integrated for Ease which kick-started in April with the aim of making it a regional aviation hub.

According to KLIA shopping ste-ering committee head Syed Ahmad Syed Salim, the campaign is built on two promises: real value and real style.

“Compared with regional competitors, we do offer value for money although there is a perception otherwise. We want to dispel that perception,” Ahmad told Star Business in an interview in Sepang.

“In terms of style, we have not only a fashionable building but also well-known fashion brands. Not many people know that the KLIA has the world’s biggest Tie Rack outlet. We even have fashion restaurants, including the only Cheers pub (made famous in the 1980s TV sitcom) in Asia and the only Sbarro (an Italian restaurant) in South-East Asia,” he said.

The campaign has three main objectives: to turn the KLIA into a shopper’s paradise by offering exciting shopping attractions and incentives, adding value and excitement to the flying experience by rewarding travellers, and increasing the average dollar spent on retail and food and beverage in the KLIA.

The shopping theme will change every quarter. It will begin with The Art of Fine Dining (October-December 2002), followed by Sporting Passion (January-March 2003, in line with sporting events to be held then, including the Formula 1 grand prix and the Tour de Langkawi) and Spring Romance (April-June 2003).

A lot of on-ground promotions are planned. In the 1st quarter, colourful glass murals – depicting, among others, a diamond, chocolates, and fork and knife (denoting fine dining) – will decorate departure gate holding lounges. The airport will also be dressed up with banners on pillars as well as with giant ribbons across the ceiling.

KLIA shoppers stand to win prizes such as a TD2000 sports car, a Perodua Kelisa and a Jaguar X-Type 2.5. Visitors and travellers can get a scratch and win card for purchases worth RM250 in a single receipt. For single or multiple receipts totalling RM450, shoppers can spin a wheel for a chance to win prizes such as the Kelisa and TD2000.

There will be three grand draws for shoppers who make a minimum RM500 purchase, with the main prizes being a Jaguar, a holiday package and a jewellery set.

To make sure travellers were well aware of the promotions, Ahmad said, the KLIA would station deejays on-site and would be passing out brochures and leaflets.

And prices of KLIA retail outlets’ products, which are mostly duty-free anyway, may get cheaper

Malaysia Truly Asia
ethan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2002, 06:44 PM   #37
baqthier
RISING LIKE A SPIRE!

Likes (Received): 10

our airport is going to be like dubai's! thanks for the news
baqthier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2002, 07:16 PM   #38
Amesnee

Likes (Received):

it looks fantastic
Old October 13th, 2002, 08:23 AM   #39
Kevinkhoo1986

Likes (Received): 1

i visit there for 3 times i think..
Old October 17th, 2002, 07:05 AM   #40
TYW
Penang Skyscrapers Hunter

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally posted by szehoong
I love KLIA. So far the nicest airport I've been to!

I've been to the airport more than 20 times! Maybe even 30.....I actually lost count!!!
oh my god! I heven't even been there once !

"the said Municipality of George Town shall on the First Day of January in the Year of our Lord one thousand nine hundred and fifty seven and forever thereafter be a city and shall be called and styled the CITY OF GEORGE TOWN instead of the Municipality of George Town and shall thenceforth have all such rank, liberties, privileges and immunities as are incident to a city." - Queen Elizabeth II
TYW no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
airport, airports, klia, kuala lumpur, malaysia, south asian hub airport