daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old February 6th, 2006, 03:27 AM   #501
bobdikl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: London
Posts: 703
Likes (Received): 2

witty malaysian

You are a bunch of smart and witty malaysians ...and more sarcasm than the native speakers.
Thanks to the bilingual and trilingual education!
bobdikl no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 6th, 2006, 04:21 AM   #502
Monkey
BANNED
 
Monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Londinium
Posts: 14,103
Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subangite
Its not insisting the biggest blah blah ad nauseam my friend, its a mere FACT which I'd like to reiterate. That matter of fact at hand, is that the budget airline scene in Singapore is pathetic. It is pathetic only after comparing and contrasting to its Malaysian counterpart. The figures are there!! The numbers are there. When has a Singaporean budget airline ever produced a profit? It even pales in comparison to the size in passengers carried, it pales in its growth and at its current state of unprofitablility, only seems unsustainable.
Oh please keep your hair on.... I have no connection to Singapore. I'm a Londoner. I could argue that AirAsia is pathetic in every way compared to Ryanair and EasyJet. Your point?

My point, for what it's worth, was that Singapore and Kuala Lumpur are competitive, that KL envies Singapores success, and is working hard to catch up with Singapore. Is there anything to dispute there? No. And if you want to look at the scale and value of Singapore aviation compared to Kuala Lumpur then it's KL that comes out looking pathetic. I suggest you calm yourself and keep things in perspective....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subangite
You accuse me of reducing the argument to budget airlines (flattering for KL), well this budget terminal is to serve the budget aviation market, thus budget airlines is it not? At least I don't come out and resort with stupid nonsensical statements about LKY's 8 million population plans, quoting Singapore's success in finance, or claiming KL jealousy, which has nothing to do with Budget terminals other than represent your misguided prideful nature ad nauseam, reflecting no constuctive points to add.
My points were that Singapore and Kuala Lumpur are competitive (obvious!), that KL is working hard to catch up with Singapore (also obvious!), and that Singapore needs to look over its shoulder to stay one step ahead (obvious again....). I never at any point claimed that Singapore was ahead in budget aviation. You are trying to make out as if this was my argument so that can knock it down with "the facts". However everything I have actually said is 100% factually true. You cannot counter with "facts" against assertions I never made!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subangite
Folks here have a point, that being that your points are not only irrelavent, its true, they're immature. Time to grow up monkey boy.
Why "grow up"? Nothing I have said is immature. However your responses are. Your responses are those of someone who has no arguments and so resorts to personal insult. Your extreme sensitivity to my assertion that Singapore is ahead is typical of someone who is jealous - which is just as I said from the outset....

Last edited by Monkey; February 6th, 2006 at 02:12 PM.
Monkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 04:32 AM   #503
Monkey
BANNED
 
Monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Londinium
Posts: 14,103
Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlshyang
I agree with you that KL and Singapore are both very competitive in various sectors and KL is still playing catch up to S'pore in a most areas but you are being ignorant by saying that KL is trying to copy Singapore in the budget airline sector. It is obvious that AirAsia inspired the budget airline industry throughout Asia including Singapore and AirAsia is far more sucessful than it's Singaporean rivals. It doesn't make sense when you said KL is copying Singapore when it comes to the budget airline sector. Btw, why should we be jealous of Singapore? Both KL and Singapore are just competitive. Period.
But I never said that Kuala Lumpur was trying to catch up with Singapore in the budget airline sector did I? You, like the others, are arguing against a point I never made. Let me repeat my original post so that you can see for yourself exactly what I said and, more importantly, what I did not say:

"Are there any dedicated budget terminals on any other continent? In Europe and America the budget airlines just used smaller airports in the big cities to avoid the high fees at the major hubs. Smaller European and American cities only have one airport but the budget carriers cut costs in other ways - such as not using the extendable piers (ie you walk or take a shuttle bus between terminal gate and aircraft instead). Asian aviation seems to be so trend-following. Since Osaka Kansai opened the first "new generation" airport in 1994 suddenly all the others had to jump on the bandwagon and get an architectural landmark airport of their own (Hong Kong, Shanghai, Kuala Lumpur, Guangzhou, Bangkok, Beijing etc....). It's like a status symbol or "coming of age" for an Chinese or SE Asian city. The latest fad are these budget terminals. It's no surprise that hyper competitive Singapore and Kuala Lumpur are going to be the first. I get the impression that these two are always looking jealously over the neighbourly fence and trying to steal a march on the other (well KL is jealous of Singapore - perhaps not the reverse - but Singapore has to keep looking over its shoulder to stay one step ahead). Singapore even titled its new terminal "budget terminal" in huge letters - presumably so as not to dilute the more upmarket Changi Airport brand and image. The conclusion is that neither city has really stolen a march if their arch rival is opening one at the same time. Perhaps the only real winner was Bangkok where budget airlines can just continue using the old airport without the need to construct any new facilities at all."

Last edited by Monkey; February 6th, 2006 at 04:38 AM.
Monkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 04:37 AM   #504
Monkey
BANNED
 
Monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Londinium
Posts: 14,103
Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subangite
If anything, I think from the behaviour and the posts by monkey, the jealousy seems to be on the Singaporean side, or the very least jealousy derived from Singaporean perspective. But why be jealous of Malaysian budget aviation success, of all things, this jealousy seems vaguely pathetic and quite sad.

Its petty, does this "jealousy" stem from a lack of something? Why exhibit such petty jealousy over such a thing? Perhaps an inadequacy? Its a reflection of an inflated size complex, you have yours smaller, jealous that someone else has it bigger? Well monkey boy, I wish I can tell you size doesn't matter, but apparently it does.

But, lets recap what Nazrey has said in malay, btw he's not Malaysian he's from Thai, basically saying not to give much notice to you monkey boy, especially with your comments, which particularly reek of an inferiority complex, "oh no! Malaysia is playing catch up, copying from Singapore!!"? quite pathetic, especially the context in which this thread is about, It seems that the copying you claim is the other way around!

Nevermind, stick with your the petty jealousy, the inadequacy and inferiority complex of the FACT that there's a vastly more successful budget aviation sector in Malaysia, hell, even hide behind your allusions and preconceived notions of superiority. I've stated the facts, hkskyline has come up with the figures to support, jlshyang repeated the same point, its up to you.
Perhaps you're gonna enlighten us with the great mentor minister LKY's grand plan of having 8 million people or lecture all of us with Singapores might in finance, as you have done before. Perhaps from your simple intellectual point, might in finance, 8 million population translates to success in the budget aviation sector, oblivious to reality at hand.
Truly pathetic! And you accuse me of petty immaturity?

Two small ponts that nonetheless completely sink your assumptions and arguments:

1) I am not Singaporean. I have no connection to Singapore whatsoever. I am neutral between Singapore and Kuala Lumpur.

2) I am certainly not jealous. My city (London) is by far the world's biggest aviation hub and by far the world's biggest budget aviation hub too.
Monkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 05:03 AM   #505
deej
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: on a plane somewhere
Posts: 208
Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey
My city (London) is by far the world's biggest aviation hub and by far the world's biggest budget aviation hub too.
Umm... biggest budget aviation hub - yes. "By far" the biggest aviation hub - debatable. You might find some pushback from Chicago or Atlanta there...

Now back to the topic...
deej no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 06:33 AM   #506
jlshyang
Registered User
 
jlshyang's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: |Penang| |Aberystwyth| |Kuala Lumpur| |Singapore|
Posts: 1,280
Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey
^ KL seems to copy Singapore and tries to excel in the same areas. And yes, for now at least, the jealousy is more likely to be from Kuala Lumpur towards Singapore. Singapore is richer, better planned, and a more important centre for international business. It's generally a more attractive and successful city. That's not to dismiss KL however. KL has certainly made huge and often succesful strides in a its bid to catch up and is undoubtedly a much more serious competitor to Singapore now than it was 10 years ago. However Singapore remains ahead and, until Kuala Lumpur catches up, it will envy Singapore rather than the reverse. The third competitor is Bangkok which has an advantage of scale over the other two. In terms of traffic volumes Bangkok aviation already exceeds Singapore and Kuala Lumpur even before the new airport opens. However Singapore and Kuala Lumpur definitely have an advantage in terms of urban transport infrastructure and living standards. Bangkok remains a chaotic, messy, ugly metropolis with appalling pollution and traffic congestion. It's a fun town though.

well, perhaps this post was the root of all those debates and confusion. Again, yes, KL is still playing catch up with Singapore and both are just competitive. It's a healthy competition between the two. There's no jealousy, copying or whatsoever between KL and Singapore unlike your perception which have been largely influenced by the western media. Peace.
jlshyang no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 08:30 AM   #507
musang
abed
 
musang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Doha
Posts: 826
Likes (Received): 25

operation date of KLIA LCCT 2B known this week..

KUALA LUMPUR, Feb 6 (Bernama) -- The operation date for the KL International Airport (KLIA) low cost carrier (LCC) terminal is expected to be known this week after the final inspection by transport ministry officials on Thursday.

Transport Minister Datuk Seri Chan Kong Choy said he would lead the ministry officials to conduct the final inspection before deciding when it would commence operation.

"I will make a working visit (this Thursday), I will have (to be) satisfied (with) all the conditions there," he said.

Chan was commenting on whether the KLIA LCC terminal would be operational early next month, ahead of a similar terminal at Changi Airport, which is already completed. The Changi LCC terminal is scheduled for operation on March 26.

The KLIA LCC terminal is designed to handle 10 million passengers per annum and has 30 parking bays to accommodate Boeing 737 and Airbus 320 aircraft.

The terminal which can handle 4,000 passengers an hour is being equipped with 72 check-in-counters and supported by the existing parking apron.

Additional infrastructure for the terminal include extension to existing parking apron, car park, surface access and other utilities.

Malaysia's AirAsia, the region's leading LCC, will be the main occupier of the RM108 million terminal, taking up 24 of the 30 parking bays available.

The KLIA LCC terminal will be five times larger than the new LCC terminal at the Singapore Changi Airport, which can handle about two million passengers a year.

-- BERNAMA
musang no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 10:30 AM   #508
aen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Penang
Posts: 126
Likes (Received): 0

eerrhhmm..guys, pls keep it down. perhaps jlshyang is right...there're some slipery slopes in that post by monkey. perhaps he shouldn't generalize his thoughts right from the begining and all these confusions can be avoided. so lets get back to the topic...we're talking abt KLIA's low cost terminal right ? oh yes...well...the fact is - AirAsia is the leader in no frills travel in the region...and i reckon it will continue to lead for many many years to come. We don't have anything like europe - so budget airlines in smallish countries with no domestic routes will no make it big here. no one is interested to move into the budget terminal in changi, spare tiger - even jetstar is skeptical..and not before long...it might not even serve it's purpose as a budget terminal - maybe they will convert it into a full service terminal in order to get it out of redundancy.
aen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 02:09 PM   #509
Monkey
BANNED
 
Monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Londinium
Posts: 14,103
Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by deej
Umm... biggest budget aviation hub - yes. "By far" the biggest aviation hub - debatable. You might find some pushback from Chicago or Atlanta there...

Now back to the topic...
No. London airports handled 134 million pax in 2005. That is far more than Atlanta, Chicago, or any other city.

Last edited by Monkey; February 6th, 2006 at 05:26 PM.
Monkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 05:30 PM   #510
Monkey
BANNED
 
Monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Londinium
Posts: 14,103
Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlshyang
well, perhaps this post was the root of all those debates and confusion. Again, yes, KL is still playing catch up with Singapore and both are just competitive. It's a healthy competition between the two. There's no jealousy, copying or whatsoever between KL and Singapore unlike your perception which have been largely influenced by the western media. Peace.
My perceptions don't come from the western media. I have never read or seen any western media on this topic. My perceptions come from visiting the two cities/countries, talking to the people I met there, and also from discussions on internet forums like this one.
Monkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 06:55 PM   #511
jlshyang
Registered User
 
jlshyang's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: |Penang| |Aberystwyth| |Kuala Lumpur| |Singapore|
Posts: 1,280
Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey
My perceptions don't come from the western media. I have never read or seen any western media on this topic. My perceptions come from visiting the two cities/countries, talking to the people I met there, and also from discussions on internet forums like this one.
No i don't mean western media on this topic because you were generally speaking about the competition of both KL and Singapore in various sectors and not only on the budget airline sector. Well, different people have different views so it's better not to generalise that all Malaysians are envious of Singapore or Singaporeans being 'kiasu' (a sarcastic Hokkien term widely known in both Malaysia and Singapore to describe Singaporeans in general - afraid of losing - especially losing to Malaysia.). In fact, both countries are very similar in terms of culture and history, not to mention the thousands of Malaysians working and studying in Singapore and also the strong family ties between people of both countries - most Malaysians have relatives across the causeway and vice versa. A very significant number of Singaporeans originated from Malaysia as well.

It is best regarded as a competition between 'cousins' without any elements of jealousy or 'copying' between the two. Sorry for drifting too far from the topic. Now back to the topic.
jlshyang no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 07:16 PM   #512
Monkey
BANNED
 
Monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Londinium
Posts: 14,103
Likes (Received): 38

^ Family jealously and rivalry is always the most intense.
Monkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 09:55 PM   #513
Subangite
Registered User
 
Subangite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: behind you
Posts: 1,096
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey
Truly pathetic! And you accuse me of petty immaturity?

Two small ponts that nonetheless completely sink your assumptions and arguments:

1) I am not Singaporean. I have no connection to Singapore whatsoever. I am neutral between Singapore and Kuala Lumpur.

2) I am certainly not jealous. My city (London) is by far the world's biggest aviation hub and by far the world's biggest budget aviation hub too.
When have I ever said or claimed that YOU monkey are Singaporean? Who is making the assumptions now?

Don't be daft!! Jealousy, was your choice of words by the way, You mention Malaysians (KL) being jealous of Singapore??? How is that even applicable in the budget aviation context??? Seeing how small the latter is in comparison?
__________________
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
~ Albert Einstein
Subangite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 11:09 PM   #514
Subangite
Registered User
 
Subangite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: behind you
Posts: 1,096
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey
Oh please keep your hair on.... I have no connection to Singapore. I'm a Londoner. I could argue that AirAsia is pathetic in every way compared to Ryanair and EasyJet. Your point?
What the hell does Ryanair or Easyjet got to do with the budget aviation sector in ASIA?? Thats arbitrary! My point with Air Asia focused on its success which has been attributed to the entire success and growth of the budget aviation sector in Asia, it was the pioneer, this was my point. It is the Southwest, Ryan Air, Easy Jet equivalent in Asia and it has done the same thing to the budget aviation sector as what these 2 european companies have done in Europe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey
As a londoner you can argue that Air Asia is pathetic in everyway compared with Ryanair and Easyjet.
You can argue that Air Asia is pathetic when compared to Ryanair and Easyjet, but what would be the point of that, other than being your usual contemptuous self? I mean this is as pointless as me arguing that Ryanair or Easyjet are pathetic when compared to Southwest Airlines in US. Seeing that Ryanair and Easyjet combined would not even be half the size and success of Southwest, in terms of every indicator, but what purpose that achieve? (Anyways a little side note, Air Asia has lower cost per seat structure than Ryanair, Easyjet or Southwest, it has the lowest cost structure in the industry but I agree with you that it is "pathetic" when compared its more established cousins). Lets bring it to context here, I compared Air Asia because of its role in the budget avaition sector in Asia and not for boastful reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey
My point, for what it's worth, was that Singapore and Kuala Lumpur are competitive, that KL envies Singapores success, and is working hard to catch up with Singapore. Is there anything to dispute there? No.
Your points are pathetic!! Envy?? How do you even begin to support your bogus claim?? Please prove this "envy" thing that you're claiming over and over again? Does Britain envy the US? Does France envy Germany?? Does Chad envy Mali, you can't prove your point of "envy" and any attempt is childish and immature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey
And if you want to look at the scale and value of Singapore aviation compared to Kuala Lumpur then it's KL that comes out looking pathetic.
What has scale and value Singapore aviation got to do with the budget aviation industry?? Stick with the thread, It is true Singapores aviation scene is bigger, but not the budget aviation scene is it now? Whats the point you're trying to make?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey
I suggest you calm yourself and keep things in perspective.... My points were that Singapore and Kuala Lumpur are competitive (obvious!), that KL is working hard to catch up with Singapore (also obvious!), and that Singapore needs to look over its shoulder to stay one step ahead (obvious again....).
This is not the bone of contention monkey boy, it was your inablility to accept my claims of the larger much more successful budget avaition scene in Malaysia, noting the spectacular rise of Air Asia as the cause and comparing to its Singaporean counterpart. You didn't take note with what I said? You claimed it ridiculous. claiming I'm long lecturing spiels insisting ad-naseum that AirAsia is the biggest and best blah blah when I'm just comparing and contrasting, you deprecate my points out of what seems to be disbelief?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey
I never at any point claimed that Singapore was ahead in budget aviation.
No you never claimed, but what you do claim is that the Singaporean budget aviation is in your words "barely" far behind, when I try to show that in reality it is other wise, you then spout your disbelief, calling it ridiculous.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey
You are trying to make out as if this was my argument so that can knock it down with "the facts". However everything I have actually said is 100% factually true. You cannot counter with "facts" against assertions I never made!!

Bullocks mate!! What you've said are not 100% factually true as you claim!!! You have made some unfactual assertions. Let me list some of your assertion, which are NOT FACTS!! BUT ASSERTIONS!!

KL envies Singapore
KL is Jealous of Singapore
KL seems to copy Singapore

They are not 100% factually true, these are assertions with no support or proof, I'd like to see you try to prove your "jealousy" "envy" or "copy" statements.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey
However your responses are. Your responses are those of someone who has no arguments and so resorts to personal insult.
Mate, you dismissed my intial points which was when I just compared and contrasting the small, unprofitable and has yet to be seen sustainable Singaporean budget avaition sector to its proven and successful Malaysian counterpart, you dismissed my points with sheer contempt, when they were valid true points. You seemed to miss these points citing, Air Asia lecturing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey
Your extreme sensitivity to my assertion that Singapore is ahead is typical of someone who is jealous - which is just as I said from the outset....
Your assertions of Singapore being ahead of Malaysia is not my bone of contention with you, I coudn't care less if Singapore is this or that, infact I agree with you, its development is far ahead of Malaysia, I've lived in both countries to notice the large disparity. I have never denied this. But what has this got to do with anything? What is your point? Also What do I have to be jealous about? I'm living in Europe and anyways nothing that you have said merits any form of jealousy.
__________________
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
~ Albert Einstein
Subangite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2006, 02:10 AM   #515
Monkey
BANNED
 
Monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Londinium
Posts: 14,103
Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subangite
When have I ever said or claimed that YOU monkey are Singaporean? Who is making the assumptions now?
You implied so here:

Subangite: "If anything, I think from the behaviour and the posts by monkey, the jealousy seems to be on the Singaporean side, or the very least jealousy derived from Singaporean perspective."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subangite
Jealousy, was your choice of words by the way, You mention Malaysians (KL) being jealous of Singapore??? How is that even applicable in the budget aviation context??? Seeing how small the latter is in comparison?
Yes jealousy was the word I used and I stand by it. I think your extreme sensitivity on the matter is evidence of exactly the kind of jealousy I was referring to. And I never said KL was jealous of Singapore's budget airline sector. However I did say that it was jealous of Singapore's greater success as an international business hub, superior urban planning, and superior infrastructure - and the latter includes Singapore's more developed aviation sector.

Last edited by Monkey; February 7th, 2006 at 02:25 AM.
Monkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2006, 02:19 AM   #516
Monkey
BANNED
 
Monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Londinium
Posts: 14,103
Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subangite
I mean this is as pointless as me arguing that Ryanair or Easyjet are pathetic when compared to Southwest Airlines in US. Seeing that Ryanair and Easyjet combined would not even be half the size and success of Southwest, in terms of every indicator, but what purpose that achieve?
You would be wrong. Ryanair and Easyjet combined are about the same size as Southwest. Both European airlines offer much cheaper fares than Southwest, are growing faster, and achieve far better load factors. Ryanair is also considerably more profitable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subangite
Envy?? How do you even begin to support your bogus claim?? Please prove this "envy" thing that you're claiming over and over again? Does Britain envy the US? Does France envy Germany?? Does Chad envy Mali, you can't prove your point of "envy" and any attempt is childish and immature.
Your envy is obvious for a start. Why else would you be so hyper-sensitive?
Monkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2006, 03:08 AM   #517
bobdikl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: London
Posts: 703
Likes (Received): 2

Budget flights arrive in South-East Asia

BBC News
Monday, 6 February 2006, 23:56 GMT

Cut-price air travel has arrived in South-East Asia - and it is making the same kind of impact as it did in Europe and the United States.

Well-established national carriers that have enjoyed near-monopolies are finally being challenged.

Because of the limited access to computers in some countries in the region, tickets are also available through travel agents.

But the same principle applies: the earlier you book, the cheaper the ticket.

One of the main players is the Kuala Lumpur-based Air Asia, a company that has grown rapidly since it started four years ago.

It recently made a canny decision to buy advertising at English Premiership football matches - ensuring massive exposure to potential customers around the world.

New destinations

Air Asia's chief executive, Tony Fernandes, feels he has thrown down a challenge to the established carriers in the region - although an inability to obtain landing rights in Singapore clearly rankles.

"It is a country that is supposed to welcome open competition, but they are scared of us," he said.

"We will open up new destinations. People can go to Bali and Bangkok to shop. It is going to be a loss for Singapore."

Another of those new destinations is Cambodia. In October, Air Asia started flying from Phnom Penh and Siem Reap to Bangkok and Kuala Lumpur.

With no major carriers of its own, Cambodia operates an "open skies" policy - and the low-cost carrier has been given a warm welcome.

There were already two airlines offering direct flights to Bangkok. But the effect on the cost of flying to Malaysia, previously only possible with Malaysia Airlines, has been dramatic.

It is now possible to book a return from Phnom Penh for as little as $41, including taxes.

Even though it has been struggling financially, Malaysia Airlines was forced to respond with price cuts of its own.

Welcome change

Jet Star Asia, backed by the Australian carrier Qantas, has made a similar impact by starting flights between Singapore and Cambodia.

Singapore Airlines' regional carrier, SilkAir, used to charge $400 for a round trip from Phnom Penh.

The arrival of Jet Star Asia's service has prompted SilkAir to cut its prices in half.

It is a welcome change for people in Cambodia to have a choice over which airline to fly.

The country's own carriers have an unhappy recent history, and Phnom Penh is littered with the offices of companies that have ceased to operate.

Those still flying have to battle an image problem.

Local airlines have a reputation for cancelling flights at short notice, and there are also safety concerns.

PMT Air flies elderly Antonovs to domestic destinations, but its reputation was tarnished by an accident on landing in Ratanakkiri last month. Nobody was seriously hurt, but the United Nations subsequently barred its staff from flying with the airline.

Royal Khmer is trying to rebuild its business after more than a year out of action. It offers flights to several destinations in South East Asia as well as Cambodia's tourist centre, Siem Reap.

Abandoned planes

The outlying parts of Phnom Penh Airport are a testament to the fate of most Cambodian airlines.

Idle Antonovs and Chinese Y7 passenger planes in several different liveries line up next to about 20 abandoned MiG fighter jets in various stages of decay on the weed-strewn concrete strip.

A clearly decommissioned President Airlines jet sits behind a fence in the middle of a well-kept garden.

The arrival of Air Asia and Jet Star Asia suggests that the remaining local carriers will have to improve quickly if they are not to go the same way. Cambodia's Tourism Minister, Lay Prohas, takes a pragmatic view.

"More and more people will now be able to afford to come to Cambodia," he said.

"To have Jet Star Asia and Air Asia is a wonderful thing for tourism. People will have more money to spend on other things, like accommodation, entertainment and souvenirs."

As tourism is the number two industry in Cambodia - and growing rapidly - the increased competition among South-East Asian airlines has come at exactly the right time.

Across the region, eyebrow-raising deals are on offer.

Air Asia's current promotion is for two million free tickets; or you could fly to Darwin in Northern Australia for one Singapore dollar with Tiger Airways, partly-owned by Singapore Airlines.

Passengers still have to pay the usual charges and taxes, but travel bargain-hunters will be hoping this golden era lasts rather longer than some of Cambodia's airlines.
bobdikl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2006, 06:16 PM   #518
Lastresorter
Mi I.Ali - Loca Stoopa
 
Lastresorter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Malaysia untuk Orang Malaysia
Posts: 1,568
Likes (Received): 6

I think the culprit for the argument is the word "jealousy", and the sentence that says KL is jealous. Competition yes, rivalry yes, but jealousy is too strong a word and it stereotyped a nation as a whole. And not that it is 100% true. At least not from a foreigner's point of view. Let Malaysians n Singaporeans decide. I suggest the word "envious". Singapore is ahead and KL is envious, not jealous. PERIOD.
Lastresorter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2006, 06:20 PM   #519
Lastresorter
Mi I.Ali - Loca Stoopa
 
Lastresorter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Malaysia untuk Orang Malaysia
Posts: 1,568
Likes (Received): 6

Btw, what happens to Singapore's LCC Terminal? Why isnt it open as scheduled?
Lastresorter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2006, 06:41 PM   #520
Lastresorter
Mi I.Ali - Loca Stoopa
 
Lastresorter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Malaysia untuk Orang Malaysia
Posts: 1,568
Likes (Received): 6

On a side note (for information not for argument), AirAsia's initial success came from its domestic market. Malaysia has more cities/towns and remote areas, many areas where people simply preferred to travel by car. Strong domestic purchasing power also contributes to AirAsia's success. Its tagline, "Now Everyone Can Fly" is very rightly spot on to its initial Malaysian market. Who wouldnt want to fly somewhere with airfares as cheap as a city cab, or even cheaper? Singapore loses out in this as it doesn't have other "domestic" routes to support the business. AirAsia's strategy by courting local partners in neighbouring countries also bear fruits. Strong support and cooperation from the Malaysian government is also the backbone of AirAsia's success.

Simply put it, Singapore's LCCs struggle because there are too many of them with only little routes (or none) to share.
Lastresorter no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
airport, airports, klia, kuala lumpur, malaysia, south asian hub airport

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium