daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 28th, 2013, 03:03 PM   #1881
sc4

Likes (Received): 88

Location should be South East Asia
sc4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 29th, 2013, 03:21 AM   #1882
JonBlack95

Likes (Received): 674

Quote:
Originally Posted by CxIxMaN View Post
World's LONGEST twin towers
JonBlack95 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2013, 12:39 PM   #1883
nazrey

Likes (Received): 11286

Quote:
KLIA bags best immigration service award
Published: 2013/04/29
http://www.btimes.com.my/Current_New...#ixzz2RqMJWr2u

The Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) wins the World's Best Airport Immigration Service award at the 2013 Skytrax World Airport Award, held in conjunction with Passenger Terminal expo in Geneva recently.

Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd (MAHB) senior general manager of operations services, Datuk Azmi Murad said KLIA is consistently voted the best for the staff services excellence since 2010, and this was the second win for the airport in the World's Best Airport Immigration Service category awards.

"To be acknowledged continuously as the best in staff services excellence for three years was absolutely phenomenal and this achievement reflected our relentless and endless pursuit of excellence," he said in a statement today.

Azmi attributed the achievement to the Immigration Department for helping to further enhanced KLIA's reputation.

Meanwhile, Skytrax chief executive officer, Edward Plaisted said the Skytrax World Airport Awards were totally free of any commercial influence or bias, and no airport in the study could exert any influence on the results.

"Airports do not pay to be included in this global study and the awards are respected and recognised as the most prestigious accolades for the world airport industry," he added.

The results were based on 12 million passenger surveys completed in a 10-month survey period, covering over 388 airports.

The survey evaluates the total passenger experience across 39 airport service and product features, from arrival at an airport, through transit and departure processes to the boarding gate.-- Bernama
nazrey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2013, 01:38 PM   #1884
bagus70
Ես ցանկանում եմ ծծել ձեր

Likes (Received): 891

I do have good impression about the immigration service over there. When I was about to depart for Surabaya, I had my passport checked. The immigration officer smiled and asking "Is your name Bagus?" I said "Yes" And he replied "Oh, segalanya Bagus yah?" What a nice and great gesture. It give a good impression about Malaysia for me.

That's the best immigration service that I've ever had abroad so far.

guy4versa, ScuderiaVincero, Skyprince liked this post
bagus70 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2013, 04:05 PM   #1885
pi_malejana

Likes (Received): 188

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBlack95 View Post
World's LONGEST twin towers
i thought Malaysia is +8 UTC??
Old April 29th, 2013, 04:07 PM   #1886
cal_t
Transport Advocate

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagus70 View Post
I do have good impression about the immigration service over there. When I was about to depart for Surabaya, I had my passport checked. The immigration officer smiled and asking "Is your name Bagus?" I said "Yes" And he replied "Oh, segalanya Bagus yah?" What a nice and great gesture. It give a good impression about Malaysia for me.

That's the best immigration service that I've ever had abroad so far.
What's segalanya?
Old April 29th, 2013, 07:49 PM   #1887
sc4

Likes (Received): 88

Bagus means good in Bahasa...so segalanya bagus yah translates roughly to "Everything's good eh?"

bagus70 liked this post
sc4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2013, 04:51 PM   #1888
World 2 World
The World @ My Fingertips

Likes (Received): 4387

KLIA2 in progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by waja2000 View Post
new image from binaPuri website, photo taken on 25/4

Wezza, EK413, achmidBrata liked this post
World 2 World no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2013, 11:07 AM   #1889
JonBlack95

Likes (Received): 674

Looking good. If there is a delay just pray that it won't be for long
JonBlack95 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2013, 10:43 AM   #1890
World 2 World

KLIA2

by JianCheng malaysianwings.net

Wezza, EK413, mw123 liked this post
Old May 12th, 2013, 03:29 AM   #1891
EK413

Likes (Received): 1895

It's really taking shape & turning out to be an impressive LCC terminal.
Old May 12th, 2013, 10:03 AM   #1892
davidwsk

Likes (Received): 3314

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwsk View Post
Published: Sunday May 12, 2013 MYT 2:03:00 PM
Updated: Sunday May 12, 2013 MYT 2:44:50 PM

Branson dons heels, shaves legs to honour bet with Fernandes

Sir Richard Branson with Tan Sri Tony Fernandes Sir Richard Branson with Tan Sri Tony Fernandes

SEPANG: Virgin Group's Sir Richard Branson sportingly donned AirAsia's iconic red stewardess outfit complete with make-up and a hairdo as he finally made good on a bet with Tan Sri Tony Fernandes.

The normally suave and manly Branson made quite an arresting sight in drag as he batted his false eyelashes and smiled at the crowd upon arriving at LCCT after serving as an air stewardess on a special AirAsia X charity flight from Perth, Australia Sunday morning.

The billionaire entrepreneur also shaved his legs as promised but insisted on keeping his beard, which made a startling contrast to the lipstick he had slicked on.

Fernandes drenched with orange juice after Branson 'accidentally' spilled the tray. Fernandes drenched with orange juice after Branson 'accidentally' spilled the tray.

Branson with his 'graduation' certificate. Branson with his 'graduation' certificate.

However, Branson also made sure he got his revenge on Fernandes by purposely tipping a tray full of orange juice over the AirAsia boss.

"I looked at him and said 'don't you dare'. I wanted to kill him!" said Fernandes with a laugh.

He then told reporters he had to be in his underpants for a while as he did not bring a change of clothing, but that another flight member had kindly lent him a pair of shorts while his jeans were being dried.

He also promptly "fired" Branson upon landing, and gave him a certificate to recognise he had "graduated" as an AirAsia stewardess.

Branson on his part said he had huge respect for the "fabulous flight attendants" who performed their jobs everyday.

He spent the five-and-a-half hour flight pouring coffee or tea, serving meals, distributing goodies, entertaining as well as making in-flight announcements.

Branson and Fernandes had wagered on their respective Formula One teams finishing ahead of the other during their 2010 debut season in Abu Dhabi.

Tan Sri Tony Fernandes handing over the AirAsia uniform to Sir Richard Branson in Abu Dhabi on Nov 14, 2010 after the conclusion of the F1 race. Tan Sri Tony Fernandes handing over the AirAsia uniform to Sir Richard Branson in Abu Dhabi on Nov 14, 2010 after the conclusion of the F1 race.

They agreed that the loser would serve as a female flight attendant on board the winner's airline.

Bernama reported Fernandes has been dared into his own promise, announcing he would become one of Virgin Galactic's first commercial space tourists.

"What he (Branson) doesn't realise is once I go into space, there'll be a low-cost version, AirAsia Galactica, about 10% of the price he's charging," he quipped.

Around RM600,000 (AUD$200,000) was raised for the charity flight which will go to the Starlight Children's Foundation in Australia. The foundation is dedicated to brightening the lives of seriously ill and hospitalised children and their families across the country.
http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp...513&sec=nation
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwsk View Post

http://www.asiaone.com

[IMG]http://cache1.asset-cache.net/gc/168572090-sir-richard-branson-and-airasia-ceo-tony-***********.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=GkZZ8bf5zL1ZiijUmxa7Qe7aet%2BhBEvRmNitzSDAcI5z614h7%2BLkIbChQ49ClL%2F4%2FM5uImabFlNFa0Y0Lx%2Bs1Q%3D%3D[/IMG]

[IMG]http://cache4.asset-cache.net/gc/168573338-sir-richard-branson-and-airasia-ceo-tony-***********.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=GkZZ8bf5zL1ZiijUmxa7QfZVwOKDcs8I7sICBB7iXkIjzJK2YoNsgEO328nBxLmk5ndm37ioNeVdyTwpnSeDww%3D%3D[/IMG]

www.***********.in

http://resources0.news.com.au/
------
davidwsk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2013, 06:34 PM   #1893
davidwsk

Likes (Received): 3314

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazrey View Post
[IMG]http://www.**************/show/2013/05/17/02/47/9244580_1024x765.jpg[/IMG]
http://roketkini.com/2013/03/12/stat...bar-dari-rupa/
[IMG]http://www.**************/show/2013/05/17/02/50/9244589_1024x622.jpg[/IMG]
http://mygreentech.blogspot.com/2013...ation-hub.html
---------
davidwsk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2013, 10:42 PM   #1894
GTR66
GTR66

Likes (Received): 312

Nice pictures. Looks like the terminal is moving along nicely.
GTR66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2013, 11:34 AM   #1895
World 2 World

source: malaysianinsider.
Old May 28th, 2013, 10:19 AM   #1896
kaate
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Nice i love kuala lumpur International Airport. i visit one day
kaate no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2013, 05:26 AM   #1897
CxIxMaN

Likes (Received): 893

Delays galore in KLIA2 opening
Friday Reflections - By B.K. Sidhu

Many developments added during construction of new LCCT

A general view of KLIA2 undergoing construction in this Jan 4 file picture. – AFP

FIVE target opening dates and none could be kept.

The question is is it really necessary to put a new date when the likelihood of it not being kept is high for now?

That is the story of KLIA2, planned for completion in September 2011, but till today, there is no certainty when it will be able to open its doors to the travelling public.

But then again is it really essential to be on time as opposed to glitch-free operations?

Malaysia already has a low cost air terminal near KLIA, though bursting through its seams, and AirAsia boss Tan Sri Tony Fernandes likens it to a “horse stable,'' but it is functional and flights take off on time.

Whether or not KLIA2 will be delayed does not affect the travellers because they are still used to the current system, though, the new terminal will have better facilities and amenities, aerobridges, dedicated links via ERL to the city and the main terminal building at KLIA for better transit travel. The point is the low cost carrier terminal (LCCT) is still good for point-to-point travel.

For an airline, delays are not good as it affects its planning and if it is taking delivery of new aircraft it will potentially face issues as to where to park the planes. The KLIA2 is supposed to be Asia's biggest low cost air terminal and it does help boost market demand.

But the delay is more detrimental to those outlet guys who want to set up shop at KLIA2. It is loss of opportunity to do business, be it those in the retail, food and beverage and hotel industry. They would have prepared to begin selling at the airport and would have taken bank loans and the delays would mean that they would have to service loans without income.

Logically speaking a delay in opening KLIA2 is also a loss of opportunity even for Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd (MAHB), the operator and project manager of KLIA2.

So, in any big development, is it crucial to keep to schedules. Just like the mass rapid transit (MRT), every one is counting on it to be ready on time and there will be big penalties for the contractors if they do not deliver on time.

In the case of KLIA2, works begun in 2010 to cater for 25 million passengers at a cost of RM2bil. But along the way the scope was changed, the size doubled to segregate the arrivals from departures, built nine instead of two storeys, install a automated baggage system instead of semi auto, create more retail space and do a lot more things than originally planned.

So the big changes caused a big delay as the job scope swelled from 37 packages to 51 and the cost doubled to RM4bil. The end result is a very modern LCC that is a class above the rest to cater for 45 million passengers.

It is easy to point the finger at one party for the delay, but given the magnitude of the project, the delay is caused by many factors and many players.

KLIA2 is not the only airport whose opening has been delayed many times. Many global airports have gone through the same path as KLIA2 but what continues to surprise many is why demands for modifications and changes were still entertained from airlines and related parties till the eleventh hour.

Should there have been a cut-off point and better planning from the onset or was there some arm-twisting involved along the way that is the cause for the delay.

For the contractors, there are big penalty clauses if they delay completion, and given the magnitude of such a project, the parties should have been more careful in picking the contractors in the first place. Cost overuns is to be expected, but the question is how much and who should bear it the contractors or MAHB, which is going to seek damages for failure of timely delivery.

Essentially MAHB is caught in a quagmire and it has attracted a lot of unwanted criticisms and is blamed for the delays. The net effect share price drops because of the delays.

But one thing is for sure, the terminal will open and when it does, MAHB's share price will retreat, but the embarrassment especially for a high impact national job of this magnitude to be delayed five times is too hard to stomach.

All those involved are to be blamed because there was obviously differences in agenda of the parties involved. It's time to put their differences aside and get the job done and stop the blame game.

Because the loss of opportunity for KLIA2 is far greater than that to an airline, airport operator or even a retail outlet, as other LCCTs in the region are trying to position themselves as the LCCT hub of the region.

Deputy news editor B.K. Sidhu hopes MAHB will make it manadatory for usage of aerobridges at all gates at KLIA2.

KLIA2 slated for February 2014 opening, blame game begins
Posted on June 4, 2013, Tuesday
http://www.theborneopost.com/2013/06...#ixzz2VDy9IpDE

KUCHING: The Kuala Lumpur International Airport 2’s (KLIA2) opening date has been slated to open on February 1, 2014, as speculation of a delay and potential cost overruns intensify.

RHB Research Institute Sdn Bhd (RHB Research) in a recent research note, “It is understood that the terminal’s contractors have requested that KLIA2 commence operations on February 1, 2014, in view of the enlarged scope of work involved.”

To recap, Malaysia Airport Holdings Bhd (MAHB) has announced earlier this year that its contractors might have difficulty completing the KLIA2 on schedule for the June 28, 2013 opening dateline.

As a result, the airport is seeking compensation by imposing liquidated ascertained damages (LAD) from the contractors for the damages caused by the delay of the opening.

RHB Research highlighted, “Several key contractors claim that their work packages are on track for timely completion, which has turned the spotlight on UEM Group, the party contracted to construct the main terminal building.

“It would seem that the delay in completing the main terminal building has resulted in the delay being spilled over and affecting other smaller work packages.”

Additionally, it outlined, “We gather that the LAD may cost each contractor found to have been at fault RM200,000 a day, or RM6 million a month.

“Our calculation of the potential revenue loss amounts to at least RM700,000 per day, assuming zero per cent traffic growth, due to loss of rental and royalty revenue.”

Meanwhile, on the airport’s passenger traffic, the research firm noted, in April, MAHB handled a record 5.9 million passengers (up 12.5 per cent year on year, 9.7 per cent year to date for that month owing to capacity additions by many airlines. It added, “So far, the airport operator’s passenger numbers are on track to hit our 11 per cent growth forecast.”

As a result of the delay, the research firm said had retweaked its earnings assumptions as it appears certain that KLIA2 likely to open only by 2014.

“We lift our financial year 2013 (FY13) earnings by 63 per cent due to the steep fall in depreciation expenses due to the delay in commencement. However, we trim our earnings estimates for FY14 and FY15 by four and 10 per cent respectively,” it added.

Another Berlin and Doha!!!

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones

A.Einstein

Public transport is the way to transportation revolution

A MAYOR of Bogota is reported to have said: “A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. It’s where the rich use public transportation.”

firoz bharmal liked this post
CxIxMaN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2013, 12:37 AM   #1898
mw123

Likes (Received): 2671

Damn. I'm gonna be there in August and then again in January so just miss out on checking out the new terminal. It's looking good so far though!
mw123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2013, 10:47 AM   #1899
World 2 World

KLIA2

source: Malaysianinsider

firoz bharmal liked this post
Old June 7th, 2013, 02:52 AM   #1900
fairul
VAMOS RAFA

Likes (Received): 240

no its not new Doha...new doha has taken airport construction delay to a whole new level...KLIA2 is only halfway of it
fairul no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
airport, airports, klia, kuala lumpur, malaysia, south asian hub airport