daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Forum Pencakar Langit Malaysia > Countdown to 2020

Countdown to 2020 new projects, proposals, under-construction updates and news of developments & construction projects.

Old September 30th, 2005, 09:22 AM   #21
SEED

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by szehoong
I am not against developing Klang and Gombak river but we have to be realistic. We cannot just see what other's have and we want it too. Sometimes it is not possible
agree! thats wat happen.. Malaysia has its own way of doin thingz.. how can we compare to others? i think just leave the river alone.. natural u know.. as long as its clean and no rubbish/litters to be found floatin onda river or round it.. thats good enuf i guess..
SEED no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old September 30th, 2005, 05:17 PM   #22
Lastresorter
Mi I.Ali - Loca Stoopa

Likes (Received): 2

It can be done and must be done! Remember how Dr. M threw tantrums on Selangor state for its two "black" rivers? I wonder what happened to that 2 rivers now? If Seoul can do it, means there's a technology we can adopt or develop to something that suits our climate. Note that I'm not insisting on changing the colour of the water but how we can revive our natural assets to be a place "at least pleasant enough" for both locals and tourists.

I agree that the part of Klang River next to Central Market stinks. I know 'coz I frequent LQ when I was in KL. Imagine thousands of foreign party goers who visit LQ every year?
Lastresorter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2005, 05:19 PM   #23
Lastresorter
Mi I.Ali - Loca Stoopa

Another good local example would be our Sungai Melaka. If Malacca can do it, all the more KL must do it right after the completion of SMART.
Old September 30th, 2005, 05:50 PM   #24
bobdikl

Likes (Received): 1

Oh Lastresorter...
you have to bring me to LQ for my next return...
I have an aussie girl coworker who happened to stop by KL and hang around LQ keep convincing me the new LQ is so much fun than average london club.
bobdikl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2005, 07:21 AM   #25
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Likes (Received): 910

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdikl
Oh Lastresorter...
you have to bring me to LQ for my next return...
I have an aussie girl coworker who happened to stop by KL and hang around LQ keep convincing me the new LQ is so much fun than average london club.

Tell that to the people who call KL boring!

I am not a party-goer but I have heard a lot of straight people saying that they we're shocked to experienced the vibrancy of LQ compared to their regular places. They reckon that it is much better than all other clubs in the country!
Old October 1st, 2005, 07:38 AM   #26
baqthier
RISING LIKE A SPIRE!

Likes (Received): 7

^ wah ..the way you mentioned straight people sounds like as if your aren't one of them ..joking

Anyway, I have a lecturer who moved back to KL from the US just because he prefer the nightlife in KL! Can you believe that? Anyway, he said he missed being an asian samseng guy in the US coz he always like to punch and fight back in the clubs there
baqthier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2005, 02:53 PM   #27
argory

Likes (Received): 55

I think,
1. It will involve complex hydraulics and hydrological concerns. Water engineering is not easy and certainly not cheap considering that Klang and Gombak Rivers are functional and vital drainage channels.

2. Some argue that Kuala Lumpur has her name embedded in the colour of those rivers.

3. It is not a question of restoration unless it involves an enormous clean up along the whole way, strict enforcement and a massive switch in mentality. Why, a true restoration would also involve inviting the crocodiles back to river banks!

4. Wouldn’t it be wiser to invest in a comprehensive river management system instead and then save the rest for an LRT line or two?

It will perhaps finally boil down to need and feasibility Vs ECONOMICS. And then the answer becomes very clear.
argory no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2005, 06:11 PM   #28
Subangite

Likes (Received): 0

feasibility vs economics?

What of the spin off and multipilier effects of a more presentable river? Sure it will be at the cost of tax ringgits and there will not be any direct financial gains, but what off tourism?

I don't think seoul restored their river proper to its former glory, rather changed it and enhanced it to be more aesthetically pleasing.

Think of the effects this will have for tourism in KL city if we followed the same example.

Singapore did this on the Singapore river with the likes of boat quay. Malacca has also followed suit. Why not KL? After all KL got its name from the 2 rivers that flow through the city.

Brisbane annually has a festival to celebrate the importance of the Brisbane River which brings in tourists. Rivers play a role, not just in terms of water management, drainage and the likes but I believe it can play the additional role of adding character to a city.
Subangite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2005, 07:18 PM   #29
SEED

Likes (Received): 4

KL main attractions r not the river dude.. Brisbane hav to maintain it well becoz they hav such a big river rite in front of the city.. and i guess the river in Brisbane r one of the main thing that can bring tourist to Brisbane.. and i think the tourist will prefer to go to Gold Coast than Brisbane rite? anyway.. most people i know over here who've been to KL for holiday dont even know that theres rivers in KL..
SEED no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2005, 10:51 PM   #30
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

I asked some out-of-towners (Malaysians!) before what is that thing (I pointed at Klang River) and they said very big longkang.

Serious.....no joke........so there is something very very wrong there hehehe.

Actually Klang and Gombak rivers have a big big problem that many other rivers do not have - overflowing of banks during any amount of torrential downpour. That is why it had this longkang-looking bank. Because the river is small and it is upstream, it is very prone to flooding......a big part thanks to our country's heavy rainfall. ANyway the SMART project should take care most of the problem and hopefully the suthorities would do something bout the eyesores
Old October 2nd, 2005, 02:09 AM   #31
AFL

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEED
KL main attractions r not the river dude.. Brisbane hav to maintain it well becoz they hav such a big river rite in front of the city.. and i guess the river in Brisbane r one of the main thing that can bring tourist to Brisbane.. and i think the tourist will prefer to go to Gold Coast than Brisbane rite? anyway.. most people i know over here who've been to KL for holiday dont even know that theres rivers in KL..
what a pleasure to take CityCat down the crystal clear river...back to the topic, they dont put walls on the river banks along Brisbane river, instead they maintain mangrove swamps, build some riverfront walkways for people to walk around or jogs, numerous parks (including the purple jacaranda tree)and CityCat jetties
"The community is now no longer about the people, but about shops and polluting motorcars. A sad thing that is to befall a town when it has lost its civic community and is transformed into a soulless shopping centre..." Awang Goneng, a Malaysian blogger.
AFL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2005, 04:52 AM   #32
tomkat
Bushido

Likes (Received): 52

Some interesting river makeover projects are in the pipeline. Check out the PSKL 2020, if you don't mind to dig through the volumnous reading material.

http://www.dbkl.gov.my/pskl2020/english/index.htm

One thing that I can be certained of is the plan to lay out cycling and pedestrian linkages by the river corridor and bank as part of city-wide urban green network. Very promising.

Very promising. Just hope for the best.
tomkat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2005, 05:06 AM   #33
argory

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subangite
feasibility vs economics?

What of the spin off and multipilier effects of a more presentable river? Sure it will be at the cost of tax ringgits and there will not be any direct financial gains, but what off tourism?

I don't think seoul restored their river proper to its former glory, rather changed it and enhanced it to be more aesthetically pleasing.

Think of the effects this will have for tourism in KL city if we followed the same example.

Singapore did this on the Singapore river with the likes of boat quay. Malacca has also followed suit. Why not KL? After all KL got its name from the 2 rivers that flow through the city.

Brisbane annually has a festival to celebrate the importance of the Brisbane River which brings in tourists. Rivers play a role, not just in terms of water management, drainage and the likes but I believe it can play the additional role of adding character to a city.
From the article posted by Lastresorter, the project in Seoul involves Cheonggyecheon Stream, a tributary which joins the main river Han and measures 3.670 km.

Whereas;

"The Klang River originates in the highlands about 25 km Northeast of Kuala Lumpur and 11 main tributaries join it before joining the Straits of Melaka. It has a length of about 120 km and its drains a basin area of about 1288 sq. km."

So, we’re not really referring to a small time stream here so you have to factor in the environment and the consequences of any alteration to the drainage system of the Klang basin. And like Sze motioned, the problem to be addressed first is flooding bearing in mind that the SMART tunnel is a flood mitigation project with design capacity constraints of its own too. We shouldn’t burden it for purposes other than what it’s been designed to do.

Melaka and Singapore rivers were very important to their roles as trading ports. KL was a mining town and the river served mainly for transportations purposes at least until the road and rail lines was completed.

Compared against roads and rail lines, the spin-offs of such a project are limited. It will require maintenance and periodical upgrading when the fad fizzes out. I’m all in for a comprehensive river management system which involves aesthetics as well, but on a less flamboyant scale.
argory no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2005, 04:12 PM   #34
Lastresorter
Mi I.Ali - Loca Stoopa

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazrey
Pekeliling Flats won’t come down with a bang
Wednesday September 21, 2005

THE Pekeliling Flats in Jalan Tun Razak will not be demolished using explosives as the area is surrounded by light rail transit and monorail systems and businesses.

Kuala Lumpur Mayor Datuk Ruslin Hasan said City Hall would probably disband the structure piece by piece to reduce the environmental impact.

“We have relocated 4,000 residents from Pekeliling flats to the Taman Seri Rampai flats in Setapak. After they are all relocated, the demolition exercise will be carried out at the end of the year.

“This (Pekeliling flats) is a massive area and surrounded by Star-LRT and KL Monorail stations. We might break up the structure as the walls are strong and pre-fabricated,” he said after launching City Hall’s Family Day at Taman Tasik Titiwangsa on Sunday.

The structure will be disbanded
piece by piece by the end of the year.

Built in 1967, the Pekeliling Flats, also known as Tunku Abdul Rahman Flats, is one of Kuala Lumpur’s earliest public housing projects. The area will make way for a commercial and housing project called Tamansari.

Ruslin said the Taman Seri Rampai flats would provide the residents with a more conducive environment as the new housing area was equipped with a kindergarten, a hall, a hawker centre, shops and playgrounds.

“We hope the residents’ committee will work together with City Hall to organise activities for the community as there are funds for such purposes,'' he said.

Asked whether an open market would be built in the Taman Seri Rampai flats area, Ruslin said such a thing would not be encouraged as it would be difficult for traders and the authorities to handle waste disposal problems.
Klang River is right next to LRT station eh??
Old October 3rd, 2005, 06:59 PM   #35
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastresorter
Klang River is right next to LRT station eh??

Yes....that portion always get flooded! When it gets really bad, cars would get stranded on both flyovers. Water-level on that stretch could be up to a metre deep when it floods!
Old October 3rd, 2005, 11:45 PM   #36
Lastresorter
Mi I.Ali - Loca Stoopa

Ohh yeah... that reminds me of the GREAT FLOOD like 2 years ago? I was stranded in KL for like 5 hours!! That part of Jalan Tun Razak was totally flooded like nobody business! My office was near to Grand Season and fortunately I didnt park my car in the basement!
Old October 4th, 2005, 12:52 AM   #37
Lastresorter
Mi I.Ali - Loca Stoopa

Seoul:

Old October 4th, 2005, 01:03 AM   #38
Lastresorter
Mi I.Ali - Loca Stoopa

Yarra River, Melbourne:

Old October 4th, 2005, 07:45 AM   #39
Blabbyboy
Melbourne Zealot

Likes (Received): 1

Actually Yarra River in Melbourne used to be VERY dirty for over 100 years then slowly got cleaned up in the last 10 years only. It's still brown colour and sometimes smells.

But I think bring back crocodiles to Klang River is a great idea!!!

Seriously, is it possible to widen the banks of the river and grow some lush tropical trees by the side to hide the river a bit more? Make it like a linear green lung (LGL)!
Old October 4th, 2005, 09:37 AM   #40
AFL

Likes (Received): 9

Brisbane

"The community is now no longer about the people, but about shops and polluting motorcars. A sad thing that is to befall a town when it has lost its civic community and is transformed into a soulless shopping centre..." Awang Goneng, a Malaysian blogger.
AFL no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
kuala lumpur