search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Irish Architecture Forum > Republic of Ireland

Republic of Ireland For projects and construction in Dublin and the South

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old July 2nd, 2011, 02:39 PM   #1
saoró...
níféidirliomdulacholadh

Likes (Received): 55

DUBLIN | City Maintenance

This thread may be a bit of a stretch :P but I couldnt place this post and would prefer to make a more general thread

Good news:

Quote:
PLANS to repave the upmarket shopping mecca of Grafton Street are to be pushed through by the end of this year.

Dublin City Council and the Dublin City Business Association (DCBA) are embarking on an extensive "vision statement" for the Grafton Street quarter.

The last time the street was repaved was over 20 years ago -- when iconic redbrick was laid as part of the Dublin millennium projects with a cost of IR£500,000.

The extensive works are continuing despite a tightened budget in the council.

However, its understood that a number of the projects in the scheme may have to be put on the backburner.

"The vision statement will contain a number of improvement proposals including the repaving of Grafton Street, improved public lighting, street furniture and an improved environment and experience," said a council spokesman.

And this week, Dublin businesses are invited to provide their own thoughts.

"So far approximately 450 views on what people like, don't like or wish to improve have been taken through on-street surveys," the spokesman said.

"In addition the approx 1,500 business owners and residents in the area have been invited to workshops on Thursday and Friday to give their views.

"Departments in Dublin City Council including planning and Development and Roads and Traffic will also give their views. There will be a wider public consultation following publication of the vision statement."

The repaving is expected to be carried out over three to four years to reduce the disturbance along the route.

centenary
DCBA chief executive Tom Coffey said the move could be a significant boost by attracting more tourists to the area.

"There will be pain, but if these kind of projects are completed for the centenary of the 1916 Rising, then we can boost tourism and have a truly modern city," he said.

The repaving of Grafton Street will be included in a complete overhaul of the areas around George's Street and Grafton Street, but the city's most expensive thoroughfare may not be first on the list of streets to be done.
http://www.herald.ie/national-news/c...s-2656738.html
saoró... no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 2nd, 2011, 02:54 PM   #2
Catmalojin

Likes (Received): 848

This is good news. I'd love to see a 'streets ahead' project like in Belfast. Some streets are in an awful condition (Westmoreland Street is one example), while others need much wider footpaths (such as Dawson Street, Dame Street, Suffolk Street and Nassau Street - actually most of the city centre!).

Really, we should do what was done to O'Connell Street and Henry Street a few years ago to the rest of the city centre (as well as a College Green plaza ).
Catmalojin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2011, 05:27 PM   #3
PeteC

Likes (Received): 655

Dublin city centre has so much potential to become something special. Routing both tracks of Luas BXD down O'Connell Street and pedestrianising it, along with College Green, would create a pedestrian corridor stretching from the top of O'Connell Street to St. Stephens Green. This would be a great addition to the city and make it so much more attractive. With improved public transport (metro, two Luas lines, Dart Underground) there would be less need for private cars anyway so the whole corridor could be given over to public transport and pedestrians, the only place pedestrians would have to negotiate traffic would be the quays.

With a large open green space at either end (Parnell Square to the north and SSG to the south), a civic plaza at College Green in the middle and a large shopping centre at either end (Dublin Central (eventually) and SSG Shopping Centre) it would once again be the main street of the city, instead of the M50! Also, other projects such as turning the BOI building into a literary centre and the GPO becoming the new home for the Abbey Theatre would be excellent additions.
PeteC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2011, 07:44 PM   #4
Catmalojin

+1 PeteC

I'd love to see that happen, it would transform the city. It should be the kind of project the city council adopt in time for the 2016 commemorations.

Of course the naysayers will argue that we can't do that much re-routing because of bus and car traffic - but of course where there's a will, there's a way! We need to actively discourage people from driving to the city centre as much as possible. The creation of a set of bus-only roads on the periphery of this pedestrian corridor would also help bus transport generally.
Old July 2nd, 2011, 07:48 PM   #5
Catmalojin

Also, just found this after a quick Google search:

Quote:
'Pedestrian plaza' for Dame Street
By Geraldine Gittens
Tuesday June 07 2011

DUBLIN City Council is examining proposals to have Dame Street turned into a pedestrianised plaza along with other city centre streets.

Cllr Mannix Flynn has proposed that a pedestrian forum be set up within Dublin City Council in order to promote the pedestrianisation of the city centre.

Since DCC already has a Cycle Forum, then it should start up a pedestrian forum where areas like Temple Bar, and streets around Wicklow Street and George's Street will be considered for pedestrianisation, he told the Herald.

"It would promote pedestrianising the larger parts of the city, within Nassau Street, College Green and the Temple Bar area which is pedestrian friendly but not pedestrianised."

"With the visits of Barack Obama, Bill Clinton and the Irish team after the World Cup, the whole of Dame Street became a massive plaza, and I think we should begin to make provisions for this."

Cllr Flynn says a pedestrian month where pedestrian issues and the value of pedestrianisation are promoted would be a positive move for the city.

"It would be very, very good for the economy and extremely good for people's well being. The parks in Dublin close rather early in the winter time and Phoenix Park is that bit of a distance away so a pedestrian plaza would be the way forward."

"A lot of the business community want to see it happen with the back-up of public transport."

Meanwhile, Deputy Lord Mayor Edie Wynne said: "If planners can do proper planning for it, I would look favourably at it. If people can come fairly close to those streets with public transport and go to the restaurants and do their shopping, then it could work."

Cllr Mary Freehill agreed: "We've got to hear whether it's possible. It's not just a case of something looking well. I'd like to look at all aspects like deliveries for businesses, access to Grafton Street and into Wicklow Street and what the aspects are for that."

"Pedestrianisation is always desirable, provided it's possible."

[email protected]

- Geraldine Gittens

The Evening Herald
Old July 3rd, 2011, 11:12 PM   #6
PeteC

Likes (Received): 655

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catmalojin View Post
+1 PeteC

I'd love to see that happen, it would transform the city. It should be the kind of project the city council adopt in time for the 2016 commemorations.

Of course the naysayers will argue that we can't do that much re-routing because of bus and car traffic - but of course where there's a will, there's a way! We need to actively discourage people from driving to the city centre as much as possible. The creation of a set of bus-only roads on the periphery of this pedestrian corridor would also help bus transport generally.
The Dublin Bus network could be redesigned to act as a feeder service to Metro, Dart and Luas, and to provide orbital routes. We could create a number of transport hubs where buses link with Metro and/or Dart and/or Luas, such as Heuston, SSG, Pearse, Broombridge, Drumcondra and Docklands. This would provide an actual transport network where the various modes of transport we have compliment each other allowing greater journey options and making the system more attractive, instead of a rake of stand alone lines which compete with each other. With the city centre no longer being used as a bus depot, we would be free to pedestrianise parts of it.
PeteC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2011, 01:54 PM   #7
celtcia

Likes (Received): 90

Celtcia have a vision for Dame st but College Green needs some attention first.
The extra bridge across the Liffey is a joke the existing bridge across O'Connell st needs to be redesigned properly...
What is currently being proposed is questionable.
You wonder whether the railings at trinity should go.

celtcia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2011, 10:45 PM   #8
Catmalojin

According to Cathaoirleach on boards.ie, the city council will be publishing a Public Realm Strategy for the entire Grafton Street area soon.

Hopefully this is part of it - http://www.dublin2walk.com/ .

Pedestrianisation of more streets around Grafton Street, and still having access to car parks (before anyone starts).
Old July 10th, 2011, 01:45 AM   #9
nordisk celt83

Likes (Received): 57

Not ambitious enough. Everything north of Stephen Street/Top end of Grafton Street, south of Dame Street/College Green, west of Dawson Street, and east of George's Street should be pedestriaised or severely limited to traffic ala Temple Bar. Screw the carparks... they have the resources to build tunnels to themselves. Alternatively, they should be told to bugger off!!!

Last edited by nordisk celt83; July 10th, 2011 at 01:53 AM.
nordisk celt83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2011, 07:47 PM   #10
odlum833

Likes (Received): 2092

Is there more then a hint of a southside bias in all these proposals? Plenty of work for them to do on the dark side of the river aswell so i am awaiting a flood of proposals. There are many streets on the Northside that really do need urgent work and also have huge potential.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1596
odlum833 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2011, 12:08 AM   #11
nordisk celt83

Likes (Received): 57

The city's natural core is south of the liffey though, and the problems of the northside are far more difficult to fix. The northside of the city centre needs more than a facelift. It needs a complete image overhaul, and it will be difficult for it ever to become a proper centre for Dubs. (most of whom live on the southside.)

This isn't an anti-northside thing. Plenty of the Norhtside's suburbs are nice and plenty of the southside's suburbs are horrible, but it can't be denied that south of the river liffey is where the true city centre is.

Of course any attempts to make College Green and Westmoreland street more pedestrian friendly will make O'Connell Street and the northside more accessible!!!

Last edited by nordisk celt83; July 11th, 2011 at 12:14 AM.
nordisk celt83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2011, 05:20 AM   #12
odlum833

Likes (Received): 2092

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordisk celt83 View Post
The city's natural core is south of the liffey

IMO The city's natural core is on the Northside. That is where O'Connell Street is. Do you really believe the Southside needs this work greater then the Northside!? Rich people live on the Northside too you know. This is about money is'nt it? You remind me of Frank McDonald from the Irish Times "I don't want metro because it does not serve the Southside"...did not see him railing against the two Southside Luas lines!

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1596

Last edited by odlum833; July 11th, 2011 at 02:50 PM.
odlum833 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2011, 01:02 AM   #13
Leeds No.1

Likes (Received): 1733

From an outside point of view, the core is on the northside. I've always felt that the true centre is around O'Connell Street and onto Henry Street.
Old July 12th, 2011, 02:19 AM   #14
Catmalojin

To me the 'core' of the city was always from around Henry Street/O'Connell Street to Saint Stephen's Green via College Green and Grafton Street. That's just me, though...
Old March 29th, 2014, 01:36 PM   #15
daveydonnelly

Likes (Received): 807

Response from DCC regarding a complaint I made about the City's Bridges and the lighting schemes not being maintained. Seem like valid reasons but as always, the length of time taken to resolve is far too long:

"Sean Heuston Bridge – There are two street lights on the bridge and one just beside the bridge that are out according to our night checks. Working on these is done under permit with the Luas people because of the close proximity to the Luas lines. We don’t normally apply for a permit until there are a good few lights out along the tram route as it entails a power outage to the Luas Lines to safely undertake maintenance because of the close proximity of the overhead tram lines. I’ll get an inspection carried out on these to see if a shutdown is actually required as it could be a circuit problem.

Millenium Bridge – There is an ongoing problem with maintaining these fibre optic lights. The fibre optic cables are supplied from a light source located in a chamber below ground level that may be filling up with water damaging the electrics which includes a cooling fan as well as the light and control gear. This may be the reason why the lights going out of order regularly. I’ll get another inspection carried out to see what may be causing the faults, e.g. Is it water for example.

Ha’penny Bridge – This is as I explained to you in the last e-mail. However we do plan to remove and replace the existing cables with a conduit and cable system that will make the installation more vandal resistant. Hopefully that will solve the ongoing problems there. This work may result in the bridge being closed so the work may have to be done in the early hours of the morning."

saoró..., Insert username here liked this post
daveydonnelly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2014, 01:38 PM   #16
daveydonnelly

I also complained about the clutter on College Green, the assorted signs for meetings and protests long past and what not. I asked could I take a pair of sheers and remove them myself. Awaiting a response...

Insert username here, Catmalojin liked this post
Old March 29th, 2014, 02:15 PM   #17
saoró...
níféidirliomdulacholadh

Likes (Received): 55

Good man davey. I wish they would just use white underlighting for the bridges. There is too much orange around, and the green/orange combo on the bridges just looks tacky.
saoró... no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2014, 04:25 PM   #18
belfastuniguy
Subliving

Likes (Received): 7389

Fair play Davey! People often have a go at others that complain about shoddy maintenance but it does at times work. The general lack of significant civic pride depresses me immensely.

Belfast has spent a lot of money on new paving and about a year someone, I think NIE, decided to dig some up and replaced it with tarmac, leaving an ugly gash. After 8 months I realised the Streets Ahead team didn't know so I emailed them and within a month it had been corrected and the paving restored.

:: Northern Ireland Forum : Republic of Ireland Forum ::

Boba Fett22 liked this post
belfastuniguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2014, 09:42 PM   #19
daveydonnelly

Streets ahead? Sounds great! Is that publicly funded or a volunteer group? We could def use such an initiative in Dublin.
Old March 29th, 2014, 10:00 PM   #20
belfastuniguy
Subliving

Likes (Received): 7389

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveydonnelly View Post
Streets ahead? Sounds great! Is that publicly funded or a volunteer group? We could def use such an initiative in Dublin.

Publicly funded, it's a project to renew the major streets/routes in Belfast City Centre and involves new paving, street art and lighting.

It's a phased programme and can take a long time to finish as they dig up the streets, replace the utilities and houses them together before repaving. It's meant to prevent utility companies digging up the streets.

http://www.dsdni.gov.uk/index/urban_...t-streetsahead

http://www.dsdni.gov.uk/index/urcdg-...ad-gallery.htm

:: Northern Ireland Forum : Republic of Ireland Forum ::
belfastuniguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
dublin, streets

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: