SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Manhattan Brownstones coming to Downtown Houston!

7K views 56 replies 25 participants last post by  teshadoh 
#1 ·
Rendering of part of the project.

Descripton: Custom Build, about 1yr. All Steel Structure. Realtor has plans for this 'Manhattan Brownstone.' 5 story fee simple TH. Near Toyota Center and Metro Rail. Spectacular downtown views. Elevator incl'd. Qtrs., 1st floor, 3 Car Garage, Breathtaking elliptical staircase open thru all floors. Bow window on all flrs. Incredible Roof Top Terrace w/full heated 7x30 heated pool/hot tub, + full Outdoor kitchen w/wood burning fireplace. Full floor, Master Suite with his/hers baths, study & exercise room.
The Site: www.har.com

See less See more
#5 ·
Some time ago I read an interesting article about the Brownstones - how they got their name. Their name came from the color of the stone which was used - quarried in Connecticut & then carried via raft to the city. By the early 1900's this style of structure and stone became unpopular - only recently has the quarry begun operations again, primarily for repair of existing Brownstones.

So - are they going to be fake Brownstones or will they attempt to quarry the stone. Most likely whichever will be the cheapest route (stucco) - but that doesn't diminish they will still be attractive rowhomes & by the descriptions impressive. But hopefully they won't be gated - but unfortunately traditional rowhomes haven't quite made a full hit in the south.

#8 ·
texasboy said:
I would like to see how these sale at 2.75 million dollars +. Are these renovated buildings?

I like these better than the ones in Uptown Houston.

Uptown Manhattan brownstones.

Those look brand new - especially in regard to their environment: gated entry, facing what looks like a private street.

#9 ·
I think those will look totally out of place in downtown Houston. In my mind, the only place they would work would be obviously in NYC, and maybe parts of Boston, Philly, and Chicago.

#13 ·
I don't see any problem with building townhomes / rowhouses in the south. Please consider that emulating northern structures is nothing new - one of Atlanta's older developments, dating back 100 years, is called Baltimore Row. Which is essentially an attempt 100 years ago to duplicate Baltimore rowhomes.

#14 ·
I like the idea of Houston bringing in the NYC style housing. Regional housing style crossover is in! I know somewhere out in Uptown and outside the city there are some subdivisions that have Mediterranean style housing mostly common in California. My uncle lives in a mediterranean style house in SW Austin. When me and my cousin went to see him, I saw his house first time and said it reminded me a bit more of Arizona. Back on topic on Manhattan style. It will take some time for it to blend in with the natural southern housing pattern.;)

#16 ·
SChristopher said:
Yeah in Houston, being out of place they might look a little 'toon-town ish'. But maybe not, I think they look great.
they look as "in place" as the fake Italian mall...toontown it is.

citykid, they're just too...carbon copied. put in some other designs for something similar, more derivative and less copied. maybe make it look Mexican/Spanish-style like, that'd look better and more in place, IMO.

-

#17 ·
LSyd said:
they look as "in place" as the fake Italian mall...toontown it is.

citykid, they're just too...carbon copied. put in some other designs for something similar, more derivative and less copied. maybe make it look Mexican/Spanish-style like, that'd look better and more in place, IMO.

-
I was going to suggest that Italian-styled mall as an example which also fits these brownstones. They're nice looking in the picture, but I can't imagine what would be built around them to actually make them look like they fit in.

Even if they were built on Main Street, I don't think it would work--they're just from another era and place and would look too "artificial", more like a movie set.

I actually think the design of the other "brownstones" in the galleria area would fit in better in downtown Houston.

#23 ·
sleepy said:
I think those will look totally out of place in downtown Houston. In my mind, the only place they would work would be obviously in NYC, and maybe parts of Boston, Philly, and Chicago.
I think it will go with downtown Houston, depending on what area they put it in. There are several historic lofts in condos in downtown already. Actually all of the lofts and condos in downtown are historic buildings. That will change next year when Shamrock Tower is built.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.