daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 13th, 2011, 06:56 PM   #21
Cauê

Likes (Received): 4163

You do not know what you're saying, brother. The statue is covered with millions of tiny pieces of soapstone. Sometimes,
for lack of knowledge, people say that the Christ is just a concrete statue, like the dozens of giant
statues of Jesus made ​​around the world. Not true

It is one of the best works made ​​in the world. The most artistic and complex giant statue of Jesus.
And probably the statue with the best location in the world.

Details of the statue with millions of tiny pieces of soapstone
Photos By Wilton Junior.

The statue seen up close

http://www.brafft.com/wp-content/gal...os-abertos.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/martybruce/5600021612/

Last edited by Cauê; July 13th, 2011 at 07:09 PM.
Cauê no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 13th, 2011, 08:24 PM   #22
Yellow Fever
City Of Rain

Likes (Received): 56006

amazing details!
Yellow Fever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2011, 11:16 PM   #23
Im Using A Computer
BANNED

Likes (Received): 14

wow i never new it was covered in all those little stones. thats some very interesting detailing.
Im Using A Computer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2011, 03:07 PM   #24
fruitvliegje
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

I did not know that too, that makes it a different story. But still i dont think its a wonder of the world. It would be fairly easy to rebuilt it with a load of people and a few years.
fruitvliegje no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2011, 02:31 AM   #25
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitvliegje View Post
I did not know that too, that makes it a different story. But still i dont think its a wonder of the world. It would be fairly easy to rebuilt it with a load of people and a few years.
Exaclty. Is is a trivial project considering its engineering historical context. Even the Statue of Liberty was more demanding than Christ The Redeemer.

======================

There is a misplaced picture on Round 2: on the voting screen, it appears Colosseum on the wording, but a picture of Chinese Wall
Old July 16th, 2011, 11:19 AM   #26
stefano86

Likes (Received): 3

epic fail in today one on one....

the picture of colosseum is wrong!
stefano86 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2011, 11:55 PM   #27
Wapper

Likes (Received): 6621

I go for the pyramids. Because they are the only remaining of the old wonders of the world. Moreover, I don't think we completely understand how they managed to build them such a long time ago and what they meant. They are just perfect.

By the way, the great pyramid was the tallest structure in the world for nearly 4000 years! It was certainly far ahead of its time.
Wapper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2011, 05:43 PM   #28
Cauê

Likes (Received): 4163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Exaclty. Is is a trivial project considering its engineering historical context. Even the Statue of Liberty was more demanding than Christ The Redeemer.
I do not know. I love the statue of liberty. Lady liberty is beautiful. But I think the lining of the statue of Christ Redeemer with millions of tiny pieces of soapstone is more complex. Or not?

But the 'wonders' of the statue of Christ are not the 'complexity', 'size' or 'history'. The wonders of the "Cristo Redentor" are the image of the big hug in the world and the message of peace. You must agree: it is a very creative landmark.
Cauê no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2011, 12:48 AM   #29
1+2=3
nymphomaniacal pigeon

Likes (Received): 439

Great Wall of China being kicked out by the Colosseum...

Now there seems to be a chance Machu Picchu is gonna beat the pyramids?!

If the final turns out to be a battle between Machu Picchu and the Colosseum it will just show that this wasn't really a serious competition.

Two best wonders are the pyramids and the great wall, period.
1+2=3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2011, 03:59 PM   #30
Wapper

Likes (Received): 6621

I can only agree. Although I think that the colloseum is also a true wonder of the world, the great wall is in antoher league.
Wapper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2011, 05:37 PM   #31
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapper View Post
I can only agree. Although I think that the colloseum is also a true wonder of the world, the great wall is in antoher league.
yeah, this.
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2011, 10:13 AM   #32
Im Using A Computer
BANNED

Likes (Received): 14

the great wall presented much less of an engineering challenge than the colosseum, thus it is foolish to say the wall is in another league. colosseum is quite simply superior, which is why it won.
Im Using A Computer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2011, 11:57 AM   #33
Eddard Stark
Keep your head

Likes (Received): 3828

The Colosseum has a significance beyond the size (which is still pretty massive, since also today it would rank high in the list of largest stadiums of the world). It's the symbol of a civilization - the Roman - which is the basis of the western world together with the Greek. It's a large "public" structure very modern in concept and utilization: a "stadium" used for public shows with refined technology behind it. It is a symbol of an open society which nevertheless used slaves fights for its amusement: however the amusement was not the one of the king, or the emperor, or the olygarcs. The Colosseum was mainly a tool of the amusement of the people of Rome, all the people of Rome from the humblest to the noblest. Actually mainly the humblests.

Thus it stands far away in concept with many of the wonders of the world, mainly meant to please this or this other tyrant or this or this other god. The Colosseum is a wonder of a mass market civilization, quite alike ours and quite unlike all others

what is instead the great wall of China? a long wall
Eddard Stark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2011, 12:46 PM   #34
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im Using A Computer View Post
the great wall presented much less of an engineering challenge than the colosseum, thus it is foolish to say the wall is in another league. colosseum is quite simply superior, which is why it won.
its just not comparable. the colloseeum needed to invent new methods and new strategies of building so they could actually build it. also it was a massive project that took long to complete. the great wall of china is not that hard to build as in one piece of the wall, but i mean its so damn long and it took hundrets of years to complete that the way people worked together over centuries is amazing. i think both buildings are amazing in their way.
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2011, 01:01 PM   #35
bonivison

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddard Stark View Post
The Colosseum has a significance beyond the size (which is still pretty massive, since also today it would rank high in the list of largest stadiums of the world). It's the symbol of a civilization - the Roman - which is the basis of the western world together with the Greek. It's a large "public" structure very modern in concept and utilization: a "stadium" used for public shows with refined technology behind it. It is a symbol of an open society which nevertheless used slaves fights for its amusement: however the amusement was not the one of the king, or the emperor, or the olygarcs. The Colosseum was mainly a tool of the amusement of the people of Rome, all the people of Rome from the humblest to the noblest. Actually mainly the humblests.

Thus it stands far away in concept with many of the wonders of the world, mainly meant to please this or this other tyrant or this or this other god. The Colosseum is a wonder of a mass market civilization, quite alike ours and quite unlike all others

the wall is a wall, but it's the biggest engineering in the whole world, including modern ones,thinking that it was built in the ancient ages!
then collosuem? a statium? a theatre? It's just a platform that for animal-fighting acting, right?
In my opinion, these three can be top all the wonders:
Pyramid
Great wall
Taj mahal
Colloseum is great, but not that amazing
bonivison no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2011, 02:31 AM   #36
guy4versa4
BANNED

Likes (Received): 52

neuschwanstein castle photo is wow-its a truly winner!
guy4versa4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2011, 03:58 AM   #37
oliver999
starwar

Likes (Received): 1141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasenfreund View Post
I would vote for the beautiful castles in Germany

[IMG]http://i54.************/2w7en4k.jpg[/IMG]
amazingly beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
amazing like in fairly tale.
Old July 21st, 2011, 04:00 AM   #38
oliver999
starwar

Likes (Received): 1141

Quote:

the full lenth of great-wall reaches 8851.8KM.
Old July 21st, 2011, 10:48 AM   #39
Eddard Stark
Keep your head

Likes (Received): 3828

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonivison View Post
the wall is a wall, but it's the biggest engineering in the whole world, including modern ones,thinking that it was built in the ancient ages!
then collosuem? a statium? a theatre? It's just a platform that for animal-fighting acting, right?
In my opinion, these three can be top all the wonders:
Pyramid
Great wall
Taj mahal
Colloseum is great, but not that amazing
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver999 View Post
the full lenth of great-wall reaches 8851.8KM.
I guess that the idea of the Colosseum being unique in concept rather than pure size was not very clear in my post
Eddard Stark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2011, 08:10 PM   #40
1+2=3
nymphomaniacal pigeon

Likes (Received): 439

Quote:

Colosseum is blablabla and Great Wall is just a long wall. with all due respect but what a load of bull crap.

Like there aren't any other "tools of amusement for the people" (just as like despots and people's representatives didn't attend the shows for their own entertainment), and like it is only about this criterium in this contest. With these kinds of analyses you could just well qualify any building as a unique one.

For me the Great Wall of China is clearly above the Colosseum firstly because of its (unique) size: there is no other construction comparable, secondly because I have the idea that it is more famous than the Colosseum.
1+2=3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote