daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area

London Metro Area London Calling...

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average.
Old November 20th, 2011, 10:03 AM   #21
LDN_EUROPE
UK (Eng/Sco/Wal/N.I.) UK

Likes (Received): 70

There is a shopping centre opposite called Southside which contains restaurants and even a cinema.

Sponsored Links

Old November 20th, 2011, 10:05 AM   #22
LDN_EUROPE
UK (Eng/Sco/Wal/N.I.) UK

Gas works have begun in the street outside this week. I don't know if these ate routine or in preparation for the development which begins in 3 months.
Old December 4th, 2011, 10:37 AM   #23
LDN_EUROPE
UK (Eng/Sco/Wal/N.I.) UK

Most of the gas works have finished now. 2 month countdown until this begins in February now.
Old January 1st, 2012, 06:52 PM   #24
LDN_EUROPE
UK (Eng/Sco/Wal/N.I.) UK

One month countdown until this begins at the end of Feb. now.

The gas works have finished.
Old January 26th, 2012, 10:05 PM   #25
LDN_EUROPE
UK (Eng/Sco/Wal/N.I.) UK

Marco Polo House development

Jan 23rd.

A planning application to create 456 new homes in the Nine Elms regeneration zone has been approved by Wandsworth Council.

The new Marco Polo House development would also provide more than 1,200 square metres of commercial space for new shops, cafes, restaurants and offices.

http://www.wandsworth.gov.uk/news/ar...4SGYHN,1Z06O,1

Last edited by LDN_EUROPE; January 27th, 2012 at 12:29 AM.
LDN_EUROPE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2012, 12:03 AM   #26
Swissdave

Likes (Received): 98

The new Holiday Inn hotel (post 7) seems to have moved top the right a bit - previously scheduled to open in 2011, it's now listed on Eclipse Hotels' website as opening in December 2012 (it seems Eclipse are developing it under some sort of franchise - they have developed several other hotels for Holiday Inn, as well as several for Hilton and the likes of EasyHotel).

There has been some reporting elsewhere on the detailed interior design work still going on, again noting that this Holiday Inn is to be one of the 'new look' ones, with quite a lot more design and thought on the layout & appearance.

Not much activity on site though - it is all covered in hoardings, and the usual 'demolition in progress' signs - but the old showroom was very much still standing the last time I went past!
Swissdave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2012, 12:43 AM   #27
LDN_EUROPE
UK (Eng/Sco/Wal/N.I.) UK

Hi Swiss, I think you mean post 5 rather than 7 :-). It would be great if this does open in December 2012, but you are correct that there is no building work happening. It is, apart from parking, a great location for a hotel. It is nice and close to Clapham Junction Station and also central London.

The developments in Wandsworth which I am most look forward to are the Ram Brewery, Southside Shopping Centre and Sainsburys Wandsworths. I hope these will begin soon. I guess Sainsburys will begin first.
Old January 29th, 2012, 07:05 PM   #28
LDN_EUROPE
UK (Eng/Sco/Wal/N.I.) UK

Wandsworth Town Business Plan 2011-14 (showing loads of images):
http://www.wandsworth.gov.uk/downloa...plan_2011-2014
Old February 1st, 2012, 01:29 AM   #29
LDN_EUROPE
UK (Eng/Sco/Wal/N.I.) UK

Well, it's February now and, according to the timeline, the development should begin later this month. I'll let you know when it does start.

Here's the timeline again, as a reminder:

Project Timescales:
Work on the site is expected to commence at the end of February 2012 and thereafter the indicative dates are as follows:

Improvements to the car park March-December 2012
Newly extended Sainsbury's open Summer 2013
Other retail units open Summer 2013
Premier Inn hotel opens Christmas 2013
Old February 24th, 2012, 08:40 AM   #30
LDN_EUROPE
UK (Eng/Sco/Wal/N.I.) UK

Well, it's the end of Feb. and Starbucks on the ground floor has closed and vacated this week. As Starbucks on the ground floor is not in the development plans, this looks like construction is about to begin.

Car park constriction should begin any day. I will keep you posted.
Old February 24th, 2012, 09:40 AM   #31
LDN_EUROPE
UK (Eng/Sco/Wal/N.I.) UK

Scaffolding appeared on the roof of Sainsburys, at both ends, yesterday. I think this thread is almost ready to be moved to the construction section.
Old February 28th, 2012, 01:11 AM   #32
pakboy
London is London

Likes (Received): 1851

starbucks closed yesteryear, they had a board outside about them closing but didnt get to read what it said.
pakboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2012, 08:53 PM   #33
LDN_EUROPE
UK (Eng/Sco/Wal/N.I.) UK

"yesteryear" do you mean "yesterday"? Yes, this is to make space for the new development.
Old February 29th, 2012, 10:36 PM   #34
LDN_EUROPE
UK (Eng/Sco/Wal/N.I.) UK

Saw some people with orange jackets on the roof this morning.
Old March 2nd, 2012, 09:54 AM   #35
LDN_EUROPE
UK (Eng/Sco/Wal/N.I.) UK

A sign has appeared on the side of the building saying, "Men working overhead". Also saw a couple of people on site with hard hats and orange jackets. The same amount of scaffolding is on the roof. I think preparation has begun.
Old March 2nd, 2012, 07:41 PM   #36
pakboy
London is London

Likes (Received): 1851

yesteryear Chrome spell check that is.
pakboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2012, 07:32 PM   #37
LDN_EUROPE
UK (Eng/Sco/Wal/N.I.) UK

Work begins on £9m extension of Southside Shopping Centre

10:34am Saturday 3rd March 2012 in News

Work has begun on a £9m extension of Southside Shopping Centre.

After planning was sent was given by Wandsworth Borough Council last year, the initial phase of the £48m investment project has commenced.

The revamp will see three new retail stores and the creation of three restaurant units at the centre.

The units have already been snapped up by Neapolitan pizzeria, Rossopomodoro, steak restaurant CattleGrid and Japanese noodle bar, Wagamama.

The initial £9m development is expected to take a year to complete with a the new restaurants and shops due to open in early 2012.

More than 60 new permanent jobs will be created at the new stores and restaurants.

Neil Churchill, General Manager at Southside said: "It's fantastic to see the building works beginning in earnest at Southside Shopping Centre.

"It's further evidence of Southside's ongoing commitment to and investment in Wandsworth, introducing attractive new street-facing stores and dining facilities that will significantly improve the centre's appearance and strengthen Wandsworth's evening economy."

http://www.wandsworthguardian.co.uk/...opping_Centre/
Old March 3rd, 2012, 07:36 PM   #38
LDN_EUROPE
UK (Eng/Sco/Wal/N.I.) UK

Borough's long-term development plans unveiled

Two key documents that form part of the borough’s masterplan for development and investment in the borough over the next decade have now been published.

Following a number of consultations, local people have helped draw up the key elements of these two documents which form part of Wandsworth's Local Development Framework (LDF). The Development Management Policies Document (DMPD) and the Site Specific Allocations Document (SSAD) form part of the LDF and support the overall vision set out in the Core Strategy, which was adopted in 2010.

The document lays out the key policies and priorities that will guide development in the borough over the coming decade and a half.

It identifies the main characteristics of the borough and sets out the approaches needed to ensure existing neighbourhoods and town centres are protected.

It also details where new housing, retail space, leisure facilities, employment opportunities, transport improvements and other investment would be best provided in the coming years.

The DMPD sets out the criteria that the council will use when considering planning applications, while the SSAD includes policies for key local sites and spatial strategies for eight areas where the greatest change is expected, including Nine Elms.

Councillor Russell King, the council's strategic planning spokesman, said: "We have a definite vision for the future of the borough and these key documents set out that vision so that people can see where our priorities lie and how we plan to deliver a better borough over the next 15 years.

"We all share a responsibility in making sure that Wandsworth retains its reputation as a great place to live, work, play and do business and this blueprint will help us achieve that."

The documents can be viewed at wandsworth.gov.uk/ldf. They are also available at all the borough's libraries.

For more information call (020) 8871 7177 or email planningpolicy@wandsworth.gov.uk.

http://www.wandsworthguardian.co.uk/...lans_unveiled/
Old March 3rd, 2012, 08:46 PM   #39
LDN_EUROPE
UK (Eng/Sco/Wal/N.I.) UK

http://www.wandsworth.gov.uk/downloa..._february_2012
Old March 3rd, 2012, 09:42 PM   #40
LDN_EUROPE
UK (Eng/Sco/Wal/N.I.) UK

Travelodge plan to open 11 new hotels in Wandsworth

http://www.wandsworthguardian.co.uk/...sworth/?ref=mr

Travelodge are planning to open 11 new hotels in the borough by 2025.

The budget hotelier wants to open branches in Battersea, Nine Elms Lane, Roehampton, Tibbet's Corner, Wandsworth Town and Balham.

They also plan to build hotels with 150 rooms in Clapham Common and Putney, as well as a hotel with 100 rooms in Southfields and 40 rooms in Tooting.

Hotel chiefs said the hotels could be new build or converted from an office or other disused building, with suggestions open to the public.

There will be 310 jobs on offer, boosting employment in the area and chances for a career in the hospitality industry.

Guy Parsons, chief executive of Travelodge Hotels said: "Wandsworth has a severe lack of good quality budget hotel rooms given the size of its population, local attractions and proximity to central London.

"The 11 hotels we are seeking to open will employ 310 people and enable local residents to begin a career in the hospitality industry.

"Many of our managers started with the business in entry level roles and we do all that we can to support our staff with their careers".

Mayor of London Boris Johnson said: "I salute Travelodge for this ringing endorsement of our great city in one of the greatest years in its history. "The jobs and opportunities this will bring will be warmly welcome in tough economic times and I’m grateful to all the companies who play their part like this in London."

What do you think of the plans? Contact arucki@london.newsquest.co.uk or call 020 8722 6344.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: