daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area

London Metro Area London Calling...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Old March 5th, 2012, 01:32 AM   #41
LDN_EUROPE
UK (Eng/Sco/Wal/N.I.) UK

Likes (Received): 47

Wandsworth Town

Completed Schemes
  • Ipsus01 (residential)
  • Barratt (residential)
  • South Thames College redevelopment
  • Wandsworth Town Library
  • Wandsworth Museum
  • Alma Hotel
  • Southside Shopping Centre Phase 1

Currently on site
  • Battersea Rise (mixed residential / retail / commercial)
  • Wandsworth Town Station upgrade and new entrance
  • Osiers Road (residential)
  • Riverside Quarter (mixed residential / retail / commercial)
  • Southside Shopping Centre Phase 2
  • Wandsworth Business Village (mixed residential / commercial)
  • Cockpen House (mixed residential / retail / commercial)

Plans approved, about to start
  • East Hill Hotel
  • Sainsbury's Garratt Lane (mixed hotel / retail)

Applications awaiting decision
  • Southside Shopping Centre Phase 3
  • Ram Brewery (mixed residential / retail / commercial)

Sponsored Links

Old March 10th, 2012, 10:28 AM   #42
LDN_EUROPE
UK (Eng/Sco/Wal/N.I.) UK

Just to reconfirm that Southside Shopping Centre Phase 2 HAS started on site. The link is here: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...1375947&page=2
Old March 10th, 2012, 09:16 PM   #43
LDN_EUROPE
UK (Eng/Sco/Wal/N.I.) UK

Earlsfield Station development continues

The station development is continuing:

An end to the long wait for lift access to Earlsfield Station is edging closer after work began on an £8m refurbishment project.

Network Rail this week released new images showing how the popular station will look following the major revamp.

Tooting MP Sadiq Khan, who has campaigned for the improvements for the past six years, welcomed the news funding was secure and work was beginning.

He said "work cannot begin soon enough" - but warned residents and commuters could expect some disruption over the coming months.
Click Here!

Mr Khan added: "It’s been a long drawn out process, and I’ve had to keep up pressure on government ministers and Network Rail, but at least work has begun.

"Amidst huge cuts to transport programmes, it’s great news that we’ve been able to protect this funding - which will ensure that people with limited mobility, pregnant women, parents with buggies and older residents will have easy access to their station."

Malcolm Page, station development manager, South West Trains, said: "Passengers in Earlsfield rely on rail for 2.8 million journeys every year, reflecting its importance to the community and local economy."

Improvements to the station will include a new booking hall, an enhanced entrance and new frontage, a new staircase, roof, lift and walkway to platform 3, as well as a new lift and walkway to platforms 1 and 2, new canopies on platforms 2 and 3 and additional ticket machines.

Major construction work is due to start in late Autumn, with all work due to be completed by summer 2012. Network Rail has said train services "should be largely unaffected".

The project is being funded through the Government’s Access for All scheme, South West Trains, Wandsworth Council and the national stations improvement programme.

http://www.wandsworthguardian.co.uk/...tation_revamp/
Old March 10th, 2012, 09:22 PM   #44
LDN_EUROPE
UK (Eng/Sco/Wal/N.I.) UK

130 Garratt Lane, Wandsworth - new flats

130 Garratt Lane, Wandsworth - new flats (under construction):

http://www.taylorwimpey.co.uk/newhom...30garrattlane/

Last edited by LDN_EUROPE; March 10th, 2012 at 09:29 PM.
LDN_EUROPE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2012, 09:27 PM   #45
LDN_EUROPE
UK (Eng/Sco/Wal/N.I.) UK

Wandsworth Town

Completed Schemes
  • Ipsus01 (residential)
  • Barratt (residential)
  • Wandsworth Museum
  • Alma Hotel

Currently on site
  • Earlsfield Train Station
  • 130 Garratt Lane

• East Hill Hotel

Old March 11th, 2012, 12:39 AM   #46
LDN_EUROPE
UK (Eng/Sco/Wal/N.I.) UK

Red areas = currently being developed or with plans *
Yellow = areas that would be great to develop

*doesn't include Southside phases 2 or 3.

Old March 11th, 2012, 02:11 AM   #47
GeorgeHarveyBone

Likes (Received): 5

Thanks LDN_EUROPE, I'm with you on a lot of your yellow area choices! One other tiny (red) project that could be included is the currently under construction flats/community space on the corner of Merton Road and Brathway Road.
GeorgeHarveyBone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2012, 02:16 AM   #48
LDN_EUROPE
UK (Eng/Sco/Wal/N.I.) UK

Thanks, however I didn't make this, I found the image on the web. If you are able to, feel free to add the development(s) you know of and then upload the image again.
Old March 11th, 2012, 08:10 PM   #49
LDN_EUROPE
UK (Eng/Sco/Wal/N.I.) UK

Marco Polo House development - landscaping

http://www.randlesiddeley.co.uk/comm...al/marco-polo/
Old March 16th, 2012, 10:31 PM   #50
LDN_EUROPE
UK (Eng/Sco/Wal/N.I.) UK

The scaffolding has been taken back off the roof. Not quite sure why... I think maybe they were just checking the roof for later in construction. The first part of the plan is the green fence around the car park anyway. I'll keep you updated.
Old March 18th, 2012, 09:12 PM   #51
LDN_EUROPE
UK (Eng/Sco/Wal/N.I.) UK

Southside Shopping Centre Phase 3 Development Approved

http://www.wandsworth.gov.uk/news/ar...plans_approved

Release date: Friday 16th March 12

The next stage [Phase 3] of Southside Shopping Centre's redevelopment programme has been given the green light by Wandsworth Council.

A planning application to redevelop the 'Arndale Walk' wing of the centre was approved last night (Thursday) by the planning application committee.

The existing building frontage along Garratt Lane and on the corner of Wandsworth High Street will also be redeveloped as part of the scheme, with a new run of glass fronted shops created to enhance the appearance of this busy part of the town centre.

There would also be new investment in the public space immediately outside the shopping centre.

Earlier this month work began on another part of the Southside complex further south on Garratt Lane.

This phase [Phase 2] of works will create a new retail and restaurant block which joins up with the existing shopping centre frontage at Café Nero.

At street level it will provide a row of glass fronted shops and restaurants along with outdoor seating on the first floor. The surrounding pavement and street fixtures would also be upgraded.

Last edited by LDN_EUROPE; March 18th, 2012 at 09:18 PM.
Old March 18th, 2012, 09:20 PM   #52
LDN_EUROPE
UK (Eng/Sco/Wal/N.I.) UK

Wandsworth Town

Completed Schemes
  • Ipsus01 (residential)
  • Barratt (residential)
  • Wandsworth Museum
  • Alma Hotel

Currently on site
  • Earlsfield Train Station
  • 130 Garratt Lane

• East Hill Hotel

Old March 21st, 2012, 12:24 AM   #53
LDN_EUROPE
UK (Eng/Sco/Wal/N.I.) UK

Nine stories, Eltringham Street

http://www.wandsworthguardian.co.uk/...ing_Manhattan/

A planning application for a nine-storey block of flats was given the green-light, sparking fury from neighbours who fear the area is being transformed into "Manhattan".

Councillors voted through the plans at a meeting on March 15 allowing developers to build 139 new apartments in Eltringham Street, Battersea.

The development includes a mix of affordable and private homes, landscaping and parking spaces.

During the meeting it was agreed residents would be consulted on the building materials used for the flats, the landscape for the surrounding area and fire-safety issues.

A council spokesperson said: "This scheme would provide dozens of badly needed new homes on an underused site with great transport links.

"It's another step forward for the regeneration of Wandsworth Town."

But residents living in the street fear the development will spoil the Victorian look of the area and are worried about the impact of more people living in the street.

A plea asking for the nine-storey development to be reduced to five with 26 signatures was handed to the council.

Kate Morris who lives in the street said: "We in our little Victorian houses and we are going to become an anomaly. We are not Manhattan, we are a gentle cul-de-sac.

"We need to consider the neighbourhood and the pressure of the infrastructure, it will be impossible to get on the train from 8am-8.30am.

"All in all, I don't see how anyone will be able to go to work."

The flats will be built on the site of Eltringham Depot, a vacant school which was being used by the council for its transport fleet.

Building work is expected to start in June this year.
Old March 24th, 2012, 09:30 PM   #54
LDN_EUROPE
UK (Eng/Sco/Wal/N.I.) UK

Designs for Putney Exchange entrance unveiled

11:00am Thursday 22nd March 2012 in Wandsworth

http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/n...ance_unveiled/

Six alternative designs for a new main entrance to Putney Exchange have been put on display at the shopping centre.

A planning application to alter the frontage was submitted by BlackRock, the Exchange's owners, as part of a £10m revamp of the centre which is now 22 years old.

An initial application to change the front was rejected by the Putney Society because the proposals failed to include the Exchange's signature stained-glass windows - which adorn the Putney High Street entrance.

The owners have responded with six alternatives which include the stained-glass windows to various degrees.

Anne Partridge, centre manager for The Exchange, said the reason behind the new-look front was because many people do not realise they are passing a shopping centre.

She said: "It is a sign of the confidence in both the shopping centre and Putney as a location that the current owners are planning to invest £10 million in this redevelopment.

"The biggest challenge that has faced The Exchange since its opening is that many people still do not even know, unless they live here, that there is a shopping centre in Putney and even then its shocking how many times I hear from stores in the shopping centre that customers did not realise they were in The Exchange.

"The entrance to The Exchange has a smaller presence on Putney High Street than some of the larger stand-alone stores such as TK Maxx and Marks and Spencer as an example and porportionately this cannot be right.

"There are six visuals to consider with options one and two being our preferred.

"If you live or work in, or regularly visit, Putney, call in and take some time to look at the proposals and if you support our vision for the future please let us know."

At present Millet's and Thomas Cook are next to the Exchange's entrance and the new front would allow the creation of a new shop on two floors in that space.

Other businesses in the Exchange, local residents and Wandsworth Council have expressed their support for the idea of new front.

Susie McHugh, a Putney resident of 35 years, said: "I think the new design looks fantastic. It will really improve the High Street and will throw down the gauntlet to other businesses to smnarten up their shop fronts."

Mike Brook, Wandsworth Council's economic development, said: "The proposed £10m investment in The Exchange should help make sure that Putney Town centre remains competitive and attracts new shoppers and visitors to Putney town centre for years to come.

"At a time when too many national retailers are closing and more people are shopping on line, it is even more imperative for investments such as this to go ahead."

Paul Povey, Waitrose branch manager and chairman of The Putney Partnership Board, said: "It looks great and will provide much needed retail space and a very inviting and modern entrance to this important shopping centre."

The display, The Exchange; Past, Present and Future, is on view at The Exchange until the March 26.

Old March 24th, 2012, 09:35 PM   #55
NCT
Not Cwite There

Likes (Received): 292

Hmmm, seems to sit a bit uncomfortably with its neighbours. Or it might just be that this is the first time I've seen it.
Old March 24th, 2012, 09:44 PM   #56
LDN_EUROPE
UK (Eng/Sco/Wal/N.I.) UK

The shopping centre is already there, this is just a new front. Putney has really nice streets and housing. It's a really nice area but the hight street isn't very good. This shopping centre is probably the best bit.

The leaders of Putney are concerned that all the developments, including Ram Brewery, in neighbouring Wandsworth Town will draw more shoppers away from Putney Hight Street. I guess that's why they are refurbishing now.
Old March 25th, 2012, 09:59 PM   #57
*Nurse*
Take Your Meds!

Likes (Received): 24

So they are going to demolish this brick building? I guess it is out of character. The old entrance on the left is much more in keeping, though. There again everyone on here seems to hate those 80s po-mo balls.

*Nurse* no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2012, 06:38 PM   #58
LDN_EUROPE
UK (Eng/Sco/Wal/N.I.) UK

Hopefully.
Old April 9th, 2012, 06:40 PM   #59
LDN_EUROPE
UK (Eng/Sco/Wal/N.I.) UK

The lead of the £2bn redevelopment of New Covent Garden Market has been decided:

http://www.wandsworthguardian.co.uk/...ed_for_market/
Old April 14th, 2012, 09:04 PM   #60
LDN_EUROPE
UK (Eng/Sco/Wal/N.I.) UK

http://www.one-worlddesign.co.uk/201...ee-footbridge/

http://www.wandsworthguardian.co.uk/...ubilee_Bridge/

Developers present plans for £20m Jubilee Bridge

Developers have presented their plans for a £20m Jubilee Bridge to mark where the Queen boards her barge at the start of the diamond jubilee flotilla in June.

One World Design, a Battersea based architectural practise, want to build a foot and cycle bridge allowing people to cross the Thames between Chelsea Harbour and Battersea.

The bridge would be freestanding, with hopes it will become a focal point for evening entertainment, connecting pedestrians to restaurants, hotels and pubs on both sides of the river.

A proposal was presented to local authorities last month, with backing from MP Jane Ellison and London Assembly member for Wandsworth and Merton Richard Tracey.

It has also secured support from council leader Councillor Ravi Govindia, as well as the leaders of Hammersmith and Fulham and the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea councils.

Developers are now looking for funding from the private sector to cover the costs, with £100,000 needed for surveys, engineers and consultants.

An investor would be able to put their name on the bridge, in a similar way to the Barclays Cycle Hire, the 02 arena and the Emirates Stadium.

Chris Medland, director of One World Design, said he believed the area could benefit from a bridge ever since he moved to Battersea 10 years ago.

He said: "I thought it would be the perfect place to build a bridge. There is a capacity issue at Clapham Junction and Imperial Wharf.

"We intend to submit a full planning application by early June and we are hoping that this bridge will be a fitting celebration of the Queens Diamond Jubilee.

"The Queen will be boarding the flotilla at site of the proposed bridge and we intend it to be announced as a legacy project during the celebrations."

A spokesperson for Wandsworth Council said: "We support the idea of marking the Queen's jubilee with a landmark of this type if the developer can find the money to pay for it.

"As of yet however, we have not received any planning application, and any works would ultimately need the approval of ourselves plus Kensington and Chelsea Council and also the Mayor."

Developers plan to submit a planning application to the three councils and the Mayor of London by the date of the Jubilee on June 5.

There will be a public consultation at the Summer in the Square event, Battersea Square, on May 12.

A model of the bridge is currently on view in the reception of Hotel Rafayel, in Lombard Road, Battersea.

Vnofd5 liked this post

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: