daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area

London Metro Area London Calling...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average.
Old April 21st, 2012, 02:11 PM   #61
GeorgeHarveyBone

Likes (Received): 5

Business village development continues... rubbish phone pics, sorry.

Tower crane being built.

Construction, demolition. (I'm not sure if the building on the left is part of this development, though.)
GeorgeHarveyBone no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old April 21st, 2012, 05:02 PM   #62
stevekeiretsu

Likes (Received): 1691

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Nurse* View Post
So they are going to demolish this brick building?
the millets and thomas cook are both closed down and empty, so I guess so.

My London development & construction photos: • by area/projectby year
My Urban Showcase threads: • LondonVallettaLjubljanaFunchalOrkney
My website

stevekeiretsu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2012, 08:50 PM   #63
Swissdave

Likes (Received): 92

^ GHB, I was there at almost the same time - must have almost crossed paths! Thanks for the pictures - particularly appreciated as my camera chose that moment to run out of power.

There's a large pile driver at the eastern end of the site, with quite a few people at work even on a Saturday, and as you can see from your pics, the top section of a large crane was being assembled.

The section under demolition seems to be being preserved - I don't remember seeing any retained facade in the plans, but the rest of the demo seems to be well and truly over (and this was the only bit that was in any way characterful), so unless it has something important somewhere in it like a substation that's delaying things until it is moved / replaced, it must be part of the new plans...
Swissdave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2012, 10:03 PM   #64
LDN_EUROPE
UK (Eng/Sco/Wal/N.I.) UK

Likes (Received): 56

Latest news:

In February 2010 the planning committee at LB Wandsworth approved the planning application by the Harvest Partnership (Sainsbury's and Land Securities plc) to improve the Sainsbury's store in Wandsworth Town Centre.

As well as the improvement in Sainsbury's shopping offer for customers, the new development also includes a new retail unit, improved car parking facilities and a Premier Inn hotel which represents significant investment in the heart of Wandsworth Town Centre.

Please keep checking this site as we will be updating it to provide you with detailed information about the construction programme.
Construction work shortly to commence

Preliminary work on the site is to start after the 7th May Bank Holiday Monday in order to prepare for the construction phase of the project, which is scheduled to commence later in the month. The indicative dates for the project thereafter are as follows:

- Improvements to the car park May - Autumn 2013
- Newly extended Sainsbury's open Autumn 2013
- Other retail units open Early 2014
- Premier Inn hotel opens Early 2014

Sainsbury's Garratt Lane store will continue to trade throughout the construction period.
Further Information:

If you require any further information please direct all enquiries to:

Email: sainsburysgarrattlane@fourcommunications.com
Tel: 0203 023 9918

http://www.sainsburys-garrattlane.com/
Old April 28th, 2012, 10:37 PM   #65
LDN_EUROPE
UK (Eng/Sco/Wal/N.I.) UK

New flats for 317-327 Garratt Lane: http://planning.wandsworth.gov.uk/WA...df&pageCount=1

Demolition of existing hand carwash has begun. Earlsfield has become a very pleasant part of London now.
Old April 28th, 2012, 10:41 PM   #66
LDN_EUROPE
UK (Eng/Sco/Wal/N.I.) UK

Latest plans/dates for Sainsbury's Garratt Lane.

"Preliminary work on the site is to start after the 7th May Bank Holiday Monday in order to prepare for the construction phase of the project, which is scheduled to commence later in the month. The indicative dates for the project thereafter are as follows:

- Improvements to the car park May - Autumn 2013
- Newly extended Sainsbury's open Autumn 2013
- Other retail units open Early 2014
- Premier Inn hotel opens Early 2014

Sainsbury's Garratt Lane store will continue to trade throughout the construction period."
http://www.sainsburys-garrattlane.com/
Old April 29th, 2012, 10:38 AM   #67
LDN_EUROPE
UK (Eng/Sco/Wal/N.I.) UK

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/busine...b-7684662.html

McAlpine wins £650m embassy job

The reclusive family-owned builder behind a host of London landmarks including the Dorchester Hotel and Arsenal’s Emirates Stadium is in line for the most cloak-and-dagger job of all — building the new US embassy.

Sir Robert McAlpine is partnered with US contractor Harbert for the plum £650 million job at Nine Elms in Wandsworth, which is where the embassy will move in 2017 after leaving its Grosvenor Square home of almost 80 years.

Harbert was appointed earlier this month since, under US State Department rules, a foreign firm is not allowed to carry out the works alone for security reasons.

The embassy, designed by architects KieranTimberlake, will feature several landscaped defences including a moat around part of the building to protect against terrorist attacks.

McAlpine’s success means it now has two of the biggest jobs in London construction this year, having* also won the deal to build Bloomberg’s new headquarters.

The construction firm was founded more than 140 years ago and the family is worth an estimated £315 million.
Old May 5th, 2012, 12:50 PM   #68
LDN_EUROPE
UK (Eng/Sco/Wal/N.I.) UK

Market Towers / Nine Elms / Wandsworth / London:

http://www.wandsworth.gov.uk/downloa..._elms_lane_sw8
Old May 5th, 2012, 02:02 PM   #69
GeorgeHarveyBone

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swissdave View Post
The section under demolition seems to be being preserved - I don't remember seeing any retained facade in the plans, but the rest of the demo seems to be well and truly over (and this was the only bit that was in any way characterful), so unless it has something important somewhere in it like a substation that's delaying things until it is moved / replaced, it must be part of the new plans...
I wish this was true, but no it's definitely being demolished... today!

GeorgeHarveyBone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2012, 09:25 AM   #70
LDN_EUROPE
UK (Eng/Sco/Wal/N.I.) UK

I saw workmen and a digger in the car park this morning. They were waiting around like their first day on site, awaiting instructions. Think they might be starting the new higher fence around the parking area.
Old May 8th, 2012, 10:57 PM   #71
LDN_EUROPE
UK (Eng/Sco/Wal/N.I.) UK

Work seems to have begun at Sainsburys Wansworth. The work which has begun is in the car park area.
Old June 2nd, 2012, 10:14 AM   #72
LDN_EUROPE
UK (Eng/Sco/Wal/N.I.) UK

The contractors now have a large office on site (where Starbucks was). There is also a large team on site. They are working on the fence around the site first.
Old July 12th, 2012, 10:40 PM   #73
LDN_EUROPE
UK (Eng/Sco/Wal/N.I.) UK

Fence work continues, the next step is the carpark.
Old July 22nd, 2012, 10:10 AM   #74
LDN_EUROPE
UK (Eng/Sco/Wal/N.I.) UK

Peabody Estate redevelopment approved

A planning application for the redevelopment of the Peabody Estate in Clapham Junction was approved last night (July 18) by Wandsworth Council.
The scheme would see the outdated estate demolished and replaced with modern homes, a new community centre, public squares and children's play areas.
The new estate would offer a mix of tenures - 200 homes would be for social rent, 20 affordable rent, 58*shared ownership and 249 for market sale.**
There would also be new space for job creating businesses including shops, cafes, restaurants and offices.
Some of the new shops would be provided along the St John's Hill frontage, helping to extend*and improve this prominent town centre shopping parade.*
The approved scheme would create five new buildings ranging in height from 4 to twelve storeys - set around two new public squares and a network of pedestrian routes.
A tree-lined boulevard would run north-south through the site, creating a new public route between the Brighton Yard entrance to Clapham Junction Station and Wandsworth Common, via the two new public squares.**
A new pedestrian crossing would be introduced on St John's Hill, between the new development and station entrance.
The existing wall around* the estate*would be removed and replaced with front gardens to*the new homes. This would help to better integrate the site with*the surrounding area.**
Planning applications committee chairman Cllr Nick Cuff said:
"This 1930s housing estate is in desperate need of redevelopment. The approved scheme would replace its sub-standard accommodation with modern new homes - over half of which would*be for social rent or available through a range of affordable housing schemes.**
"The estate occupies a prominent location in one of the most accessible parts of London but has long been cut off and isolated from the surrounding community. With the removal of the walls, a new boulevard and shops, the site will be opened up and play a part in the wider regeneration of Clapham Junction.
"It would also a brand new community centre and a range of job creating business space. The new pedestrian route between Clapham Junction Station and Wandsworth Common is particularly welcome and would draw people through the estate and bring the new public spaces to life."**
The full details of the planning application is available on the council's website - search for application reference number 2012/1258.

News from here:
http://www.wandsworth.gov.uk/news/ar...pment_approved

Pics here: http://www.hawkinsbrown.com/projects...e-regeneration
And here:http://towerscj.wordpress.com/2009/1...-the-junction/
Old October 1st, 2012, 11:44 AM   #75
LDN_EUROPE
UK (Eng/Sco/Wal/N.I.) UK

Hi there, this is under-construction now. Would a mod be able to update the title and move it to the correct forum? Many thanks.
Old October 1st, 2012, 11:50 AM   #76
LDN_EUROPE
UK (Eng/Sco/Wal/N.I.) UK

http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/n...don_dog_track/
Plans unveiled to tear down Wimbledon dog track

Plans to demolish Wimbledon greyhound stadium and replace it with housing and a multiplex cinema could spell the end of 80 years of dog racing at the historic site.

It also raises the prospect of AFC Wimbledon moving back to site, in Plough Lane, just metres from the former home of Wimbledon FC until 1991.

The proposal, which has not yet been submitted to Merton Council, would signal the end of the UK's oldest greyhound track, which hosts the biggest dog race in the country, the Derby.

Galliard Homes – which co-owns the site with GRA Limited and investment company Risk Capital management – has appointed an architect to draw up plans to build 798 apartments on the site, as well as a multi-screen cinema.

It opens the possibility of AFC Wimbledon returning to its former home, because Merton Council has stated any redevelopment of the site should have an “intensification of sporting activity”.

The leader of the council, Councillor Stephen Alambritis, has made no secret of his desire for Wimbledon’s football team to come to its original home in Plough Lane.

He said: “The council done everything it can to bring the club back to Merton.

"We have specifically made the plough lane site an area for sports intensification. Any development would have to go along with that.”

Ads by Google
Sterigenics - Costa Rica
Sterigenics to Open New Facility Near San José, Costa Rica
www.sterigenics.com
B And B London
Recently refurbished value hotel Family Run centrally located
www.fairwaylondon.com
He added he was happy to set up a pre meeting between developers and the council.

Galliard Homes has appointed Battersea-based BUJ Architects to draw a plan which includes:

798 apartments (55 per cent one-bedroom, 35 per cent two-bedroom, 10 per cent three bedroom);
35 per cent affordable housing in the north-west corner of the site;
a two-floor commercial building encased in a metal shell. The building houses five cinema screens, a restaurant and a bar;
A multi-storey car park in the north-east corner and a basement car park with 775 parking spaces for commercial and residential use.
Greyhound racing enthusiasts are understood to be launching a campaign to save the dog stadium – which has hosted the Derby at the site since 1985 and dog racing for more than 80 years.

A source close to AFC Wimbledon said they were unaware of the development but would be interested in the site.

They said: “If the scheme was viable then I am sure the club would be interested in looking at it.”

Galliard Homes and the GRA refused to comment on the plans.

It is understood that Morrisons also bid for the site, along with four others owned by the GRA.

Vnofd5 liked this post
LDN_EUROPE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2012, 08:00 AM   #77
LDN_EUROPE
UK (Eng/Sco/Wal/N.I.) UK

HomeLatest newsNine Elms gasholders consultation
Nine Elms gasholders consultation

Release date: Wednesday 3rd October 12
Comment on this article
National Grid is inviting local people to have their say on its plans to demolish four redundant gasholders in the Nine Elms on the South Bank regeneration area.
Drop in sessions will be held on Wednesday 10 October and Thursday 11 October between 3pm and 8pm at The Gallery on the Corner, 155 Battersea Park Road, SW8 4BU .
National Grid's future plans for the site - which would be subject to a separate public consultation - are to work with a development partner to build homes, shops, offices, leisure facilities and new public spaces to connect neighbouring communities to the heart of Nine Elms.
Keith Johnston from National Grid explained: "We no longer need the holders to supply gas to the local community. Demolishing them and cleaning up the site will unlock its redevelopment potential and enable it to play a crucial role in the Nine Elms regeneration which is breathing fresh life into the area."
Councillor Ravi Govindia, Leader of Wandsworth Council, said: "Nine Elms has started to transform on an enormous scale. The area's vast industrial sites are making way for new homes, businesses and a range of new public spaces the whole community can enjoy. It will open up a brand new part of central London and create thousands of job opportunities for local people.
"The gasholders occupy an important site between the established*communities*in the south of Battersea and the new town centre planned around the power station. It's very exciting to see this project moving forward and I urge local people to attend the drop in sessions to find out more about the proposals."
People can also speak to a member of the National Grid consultation team on 0800 319 6165 (9:00am to 5:30am Monday to Friday) or email their views on the plans to Info@BatterseaGasholders.com*
If the demolition plans are approved work could start on the site in the spring.
About Nine Elms on the South Bank

Nine Elms on the South Bank includes the Albert Embankment, Vauxhall and a large slice of industrial Battersea.
An enormous investment programme has begun to transform the area - around 2million sq m of new development has been granted planning permission across the district.
The Nine Elms Vauxhall Partnership was created in 2010 to coordinate and drive forward the area's transformation. Co-chaired by the leaders of Wandsworth and Lambeth Council, it includes the area's main developers and landowners, the Mayor of London, Transport for London and the Greater London Authority.
Up to 16,000 new homes will be built - 14,000 already have planning consent and the first 1,000 are now under construction.
Up to 1,000 construction and engineering apprenticeships could be created across the regeneration programme.
The new Nine Elms on the South Bank will provide 25,000 new permanent jobs for London .
The Northern Line Extension will provide two new Tube stops in the area. One will be located at Wandsworth Road and another at Battersea Power Station. Plans for this Government backed scheme are now being developed by TfL.
A new stretch of Thames Path will run through the district and a new pedestrian and cycle bridge is planned to create another link to Westminster on the opposite bank of the river.
Work is now underway on major developments including St George's Vauxhall Tower scheme and the St James Riverlight development.*
Enabling works are also underway on the site of the new US Embassy which is expected to open in Nine Elms in 2017.
For more information visit http://www.nineelmslondon.com/

Ends*
By: Eyvind Ryans
Telephone 020 8871 6031 or Email: eryans@wandsworth.gov.uk

If you wish to complain about a comment, contact us at press@wandsworth.gov.uk or to the member of the press team responsible for this news item:
Eyvind Ryans
Telephone: 020 8871 6031
Email: eryans@wandsworth.gov.uk
http://www.wandsworth.gov.uk/news/ar...s_consultation
Old October 13th, 2012, 10:29 PM   #78
LDN_EUROPE
UK (Eng/Sco/Wal/N.I.) UK

http://www.wandsworth.gov.uk/news/ar...tation_project

Detailed plans for the first phase of Rafael Viñoly’s Battersea Power Station masterplan have now been submitted to Wandsworth Council.

The enormous development project in Nine Elms was granted 'outline planning consent' in 2011. The new application provides a detailed specification for the first stage of the development.

Leader of Wandsworth Council and co-chair of the Nine Elms Vauxhall Partnership Ravi Govindia said:

"The new owners picked up the keys just two months ago so it's very encouraging to see the project moving ahead so quickly. This site is vital to the regeneration of the wider Nine Elms on the South Bank area and in particular the Northern Line Extension.

"Our planning team has started to go through the application documents in detail and is writing to local stakeholder to ask for their views."

The application covers the details of the scale of the buildings and structures, the external appearance and the landscaping within Phase 1.

A linked application has also been received covering the internal configuration of the residential units, parking and servicing, as well as sustainability, energy and waste strategies.

Phase 1 consists of two buildings of varied heights between 8 and 18 storeys. They will be built to the west of the power station building on land which is currently vacant.

It would provide 800 homes, a hotel and space for cafes, restaurants, bars, a gym, pool, spa, theatre and office studios.

A new six-acre public park would form the setting for the new buildings.
To view the application and provide feedback online visit www.wandsworth.gov.uk/planning - search for applications 2012/4584 and 2012/4586

A Malaysian consortium of S P Setia, Sime Darby and the Employees Provident Fund (EPF), completed the purchase of the iconic site earlier this year.

The new owners are implementing the approved masterplan for the 39-acre power station plot which includes the complete regeneration of the listed power station, the largest brick building in Europe and one of the most significant surviving examples of Art Deco architecture.

The masterplan covers a full mixed-use redevelopment including new homes, offices, shops, restaurants and hotels as well as community, cultural and leisure facilities and have been agreed by English Heritage and Design Council CABE.
For local people and visitors the development will mean better transport access and a wide range of shops and amenities including a health centre and riverside park. The consortium has also committed to supporting construction of the proposed extension to the Northern Line into the Nine Elms area.

Image: Battersea Power Station from the north bank of the Thames. Phase 1 is the building between the power station and the bridge.
About Nine Elms on the South Bank

Nine Elms on the South Bank includes the Albert Embankment, Vauxhall and a large slice of industrial Battersea. It is the largest regeneration area in central London.

The Nine Elms Vauxhall Partnership was created in 2010 to coordinate and drive forward the transformation of this district of central London . Co-chaired by the leaders of Wandsworth and Lambeth Council, it includes the area's main developers and landowners, the Mayor of London, Transport for London and the Greater London Authority.

An enormous investment programme has begun to transform the area - around 2million sq m of new development has been granted planning permission.
Up to 16,000 new homes will be built - 14,000 already have planning consent and the first 1,000 are now under construction

Up to 1,000 construction and engineering apprenticeships and 22,000 jobs could be created over the course of the regeneration programme.

The new Nine Elms on the South Bank will support an additional 25,000 permanent jobs for London .

The Northern Line Extension will provide two new Tube stops in the area. One will be located at Wandsworth Road and another at Battersea Power Station. Plans for this Government backed scheme are now being developed by TfL.
A new stretch of Thames Path will run through the district and a new pedestrian and cycle bridge is planned to create another link to Westminster on the opposite bank of the river.

For more information visit http://www.nineelmslondon.com/
Ends

By: Eyvind Ryans
Telephone 020 8871 6031 or Email: eryans@wandsworth.gov.uk
Old October 13th, 2012, 10:30 PM   #79
LDN_EUROPE
UK (Eng/Sco/Wal/N.I.) UK

Wandsworth Town

Completed Schemes
  • Ipsus01 (residential)
  • Barratt (residential)
  • South Thames College redevelopment
  • Wandsworth Town Library
  • Wandsworth Museum
  • Alma Hotel
  • Southside Shopping Centre Phase 1
  • Wandsworth Town Station upgrade and new entrance

Currently on site
  • Battersea Rise (mixed residential / retail / commercial)
  • Osiers Road (residential)
  • Riverside Quarter (mixed residential / retail / commercial)
  • Southside Shopping Centre Phase 2
  • Wandsworth Business Village (mixed residential / commercial)
  • Cockpen House (mixed residential / retail / commercial)
  • Earlsfield Train Station
  • 130 Garratt Lane

Plans approved, about to start
  • East Hill Hotel
  • Sainsbury's Garratt Lane (mixed hotel / retail)

Applications awaiting decision
  • Southside Shopping Centre Phase 3
  • Ram Brewery (mixed residential / retail / commercial)

Last edited by LDN_EUROPE; October 13th, 2012 at 10:40 PM.
LDN_EUROPE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2012, 09:39 PM   #80
Swissdave

Likes (Received): 92

Noticed a few days ago that brand new hoardings have gone up right around the old garage & offices on the East Hill Holiday Inn hotel site (that's this building) - when I went past they were bare wood, not sure if any marketing material or branding has been put up since.

Whether this means demolition is imminent or not remains to be seen - I'm surprised Holiday Inn have kept the existing building in place so long, given they're paying full rates by now, it's in a distinctly dubious state of repair and looks as though it could collapse at any moment, and it's vulnerable to squatters.

The hotel is not a huge building in the final version that got planning (so unlikely to get great attention), but should nonetheless be quite prominent given the lack of any neighbours, and its site on the top of the hill / 'motorway' viaduct.
Swissdave no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: