daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > East Africa > Somalia > Geedka Shirarka / Off-topic forum

Old July 8th, 2011, 02:07 AM   #1
Camellete

Likes (Received): 47

Somalia is not a desert

Surprisingly Somalia has more forest area than Kenya and Uganda combined.

Unsurprising Congo Dem Rep has the 6th most forest area in the world.

http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/...isplay=default
Camellete no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old July 8th, 2011, 02:32 AM   #2
đđeůx
DrEameR

Likes (Received): 1439

Kenya has a small percentage of its total land area covered by forest...BUT..you must take into consideration savannahs, etc.

And I never really thought of Somalia as a desert. Sudan, yes. Somalia, no.
đđeůx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2011, 02:48 AM   #3
screenshotartist
Engineer

Likes (Received): 17

By percentage Congo is number 1 or 2 behind Brazil.

It is not as large as Russia, Australia or USA but most of its little size is covered by trees and forest. "It's Jungle out there" Literally
Old July 8th, 2011, 02:50 AM   #4
screenshotartist
Engineer

Why do Somalis enjoy the desert??

All the major cities are build in the little desert space available. I have seen pics in the country gallery and Somali has lush green places, but they look quite empty and less populated
Old July 8th, 2011, 04:14 AM   #5
Janub
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by screenshotartist View Post
Why do Somalis enjoy the desert??

All the major cities are build in the little desert space available. I have seen pics in the country gallery and Somali has lush green places, but they look quite empty and less populated
No, those "desert cities" are the most peaceful cities, and they only grew because the war is in the south. Their growth is entirely a result of their tribal kin leaving the south for their native regions and developing them. It makes sense for the growth to happen so quickly as all Somalis sought to go north for peace. In the port city of Bosaso, up to 40-50% of the city's population including IDPs are from the south. Those northern cities gained a lot after the war, and rightly so for playing their part to keep at least part of the nation alive.

However, before the war and in all likelihood still so - around 70% of Somalia's population lives around and between Somalia's two perennial rivers. The people in the south live predominately in farming hamlets that ring the rivers, but there are thousands of those hamlets as virtually every part of the river is habitable as opposed to the north. The north has experienced tremendous urban growth, so there's little to zero growth happening outside the main cities along the highways; what you are seeing is the exodus from the south at work.

I hope it makes sense.
Janub no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2011, 04:33 AM   #6
screenshotartist
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janub View Post
No, those "desert cities" are the most peaceful cities, and they only grew because the war is in the south. Their growth is entirely a result of their tribal kin leaving the south for their native regions and developing them. It makes sense for the growth to happen so quickly as all Somalis sought to go north for peace. In the port city of Bosaso, up to 40-50% of the city's population including IDPs are from the south. Those northern cities gained a lot after the war, and rightly so for playing their part to keep at least part of the nation alive.

However, before the war and in all likelihood still so - around 70% of Somalia's population lives around and between Somalia's two perennial rivers. The people in the south live predominately in farming hamlets that ring the rivers, but there are thousands of those hamlets as virtually every part of the river is habitable as opposed to the north. The north has experienced tremendous urban growth, so there's little to zero growth happening outside the main cities along the highways; what you are seeing is the exodus from the south at work.

I hope it makes sense.
Thanks Janub
Old July 8th, 2011, 05:30 AM   #7
Xusein
Xornimo

Likes (Received): 3015

The deep south of Somalia is pretty much a jungle.

Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2011, 05:38 AM   #8
BUTEMBO21
Mutu ya Chuma.

Likes (Received): 2596

very unpredictable country, from desert to jungle. I like how diverse it is Geographically.
BUTEMBO21 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2011, 03:24 PM   #9
PerfectionsArchitect
Phenom Extraordinaire

Likes (Received): 6

Never knew Somalia had a jungle, I wonder why they are Nomads then.
PerfectionsArchitect no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2011, 03:29 PM   #10
The Nomadic Warrior
BANNED

Likes (Received): 108

With a proper functioning central government, Somalia has enough resources to feed itself quite comfortably. It could easily support a population nearing 100 million. An estimated quarter of the world's camel population is found in Somalia; so meat isn't a problem
The Nomadic Warrior no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2011, 03:33 PM   #11
Camellete

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectionsArchitect View Post
Never knew Somalia had a jungle, I wonder why they are Nomads then.

Thats because more than half of the world's camels are in Somalia, there's almost more camels in Somalia than people. Camel is king there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janub View Post

However, before the war and in all likelihood still so - around 70% of Somalia's population lives around and between Somalia's two perennial rivers.
Wow 70%? You sure about that. Interesting nevertheless.
Old July 8th, 2011, 03:34 PM   #12
חבר1.0
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Somalia is a big-ass country. Why are people so surprised that it actually has forests too?

I disagree though with Nomadic Warrior....I don't think any country in the Horn of Africa region can sustain a population of 100 million or more.
חבר1.0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2011, 03:41 PM   #13
The Nomadic Warrior
BANNED

Likes (Received): 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by חבר1.0 View Post
Somalia is a big-ass country. Why are people so surprised that it actually has forests too?

I disagree though with Nomadic Warrior....I don't think any country in the Horn of Africa region can sustain a population of 100 million or more.
Ludicrous,

Ethiopia supports 90 million people today, even with a primitive agriculture industry. Now imagine a fully developed modernized Ethiopia, I will go even further and suggest Ethiopia could possibly support 300 million. Ethiopia is truly a blessed land but unfortunately controlled by corrupt politicians. Somalia can support 100 million easily; there is enough fertile land in the country. Countries with less fertile land support larger population

If Egypt can support 80 million on the Nile alone, Somalia can survive with Juba and Shabelle rivers
The Nomadic Warrior no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2011, 03:59 PM   #14
PerfectionsArchitect
Phenom Extraordinaire

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camellete View Post
Thats because more than half of the world's camels are in Somalia, there's almost more camels in Somalia than people. Camel is king there!

I think Somalis just like keeping tradition up, when more than half of Somali citizens become urbanized they would probably be rush hour traffic on camels back and parking lots with water wells.
PerfectionsArchitect no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2011, 04:22 PM   #15
Yoniii

Likes (Received): 979

Quote:
Basically what Nomadic said.

For you to get the right picture: Ethiopia is 3 times the size of Germany. The entire country isn't fertile (like most of Afar and Somali region), but there is enough fertile land to not only feed the Horn but probably entire East Africa.

The problem is outdated farming techniques that entirely depend on rain water. This is changing fast though. Irrigation systems, water containing systems, etc is being built around the country. The areas that were affected by drought in the 70s and 80s are doing relatively fine, the problem today is mainly in dry Nomadic regions.
Yoniii no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2011, 04:24 PM   #16
חבר1.0
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nomadic Warrior View Post
Ludicrous,

Ethiopia supports 90 million people today, even with a primitive agriculture industry. Now imagine a fully developed modernized Ethiopia, I will go even further and suggest Ethiopia could possibly support 300 million. Ethiopia is truly a blessed land but unfortunately controlled by corrupt politicians. Somalia can support 100 million easily; there is enough fertile land in the country. Countries with less fertile land support larger population

If Egypt can support 80 million on the Nile alone, Somalia can survive with Juba and Shabelle rivers
Isn't Ethiopia going through some major drought right now?
Old July 8th, 2011, 04:26 PM   #17
Camellete

Quote:

I think Somalis just like keeping tradition up, when more than half of Somali citizens become urbanized they would probably be rush hour traffic on camels back and parking lots with water wells.
That would be an amazing sight.
Old July 8th, 2011, 04:27 PM   #18
Yoniii

Quote:

Old July 8th, 2011, 04:30 PM   #19
Yoniii

Quote:
Isn't Ethiopia going through some major drought right now?
The vast majority of those affected are in the dry regions. By dry, I mean one of the hottest areas in the world (Afar) and Somali region which similar climate as in the desert. The people are sparsely populated. Almost the entire population are nomads, they depend on existing food for their cattle. Food which doesn't exist when there is drought.

All other regions aren't perfect either, but we are seeing a big step towards the right direction. Keep in mind that most farmers depend on rain water. We are talking about a scenario when irrigation projects cover the entire country so rain water won't be an issue: that's when we will see big exports of food, especially to countries like Saudi Arabia and UAE.
Old July 8th, 2011, 04:38 PM   #20
חבר1.0
BANNED

Thanks for the clarification Yoniii!

Tags
somalia