daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 29th, 2015, 01:29 PM   #101
fubo

Likes (Received): 720

The only one that actually comes close to meeting federal funding requirements is the Amherst extension
fubo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 29th, 2015, 05:56 PM   #102
Buffaboy
Buffalo's Idealist💡

Likes (Received): 2122

Quote:
Originally Posted by fubo View Post
The only one that actually comes close to meeting federal funding requirements is the Amherst extension
Maybe if the state got more than 91Ę back per the dollar, some of these other ones would be feasible.
Buffaboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2015, 07:50 PM   #103
Bronxwood

Likes (Received): 218

The Tonowanda line has a good chance as well. The right of way is already in place.

Buffaboy liked this post
Bronxwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2015, 01:57 AM   #104
fubo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxwood View Post
The Tonowanda line has a good chance as well. The right of way is already in place.
Unfortunately the NFTA divested some of that ROW about 2 years ago. That and the rapidly decreasing population of the Town of Tonawanda seem to doom that extension for the foreseeable future
Old November 2nd, 2015, 04:49 AM   #105
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

Why is the population decreasing?
Visit the New Jersey Section

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2015, 05:56 AM   #106
fubo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Why is the population decreasing?

Because more people are moving out of it than into it
Old November 2nd, 2015, 06:11 AM   #107
CNB30
centralnatbankbuildingrva

Likes (Received): 805

maybe it just happens to be right in the middle of the Rustbelt (elephant in the room)

A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. Itís where the rich use public transportation

Feel The Bern #2016

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
CNB30 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2015, 01:38 PM   #108
fubo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNB30 View Post
maybe it just happens to be right in the middle of the Rustbelt (elephant in the room)

Actually it is probably because it is an inner ring suburb with mostly small outdated tract homes built in the 1950's
Old November 3rd, 2015, 02:18 AM   #109
CNB30

Quote:
Originally Posted by fubo View Post
Actually it is probably because it is an inner ring suburb with mostly small outdated tract homes built in the 1950's
It is also on the edge of Metropolitan Buffalo, meaning that they actually haven't built much new in the Urban area since the 50s (talk about going downhill).

A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. Itís where the rich use public transportation

Feel The Bern #2016
Old November 3rd, 2015, 04:48 AM   #110
fubo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNB30 View Post
It is also on the edge of Metropolitan Buffalo, meaning that they actually haven't built much new in the Urban area since the 50s (talk about going downhill).
Lol good one, nice troll attempt but still a fail. You obviously know nothing about the area. And rustbelt really? Really? That is so 80's of you.

FWIW the next town over, Amherst, has seen its population explode from 40,000 in 1960 to about 130,000 today and contains the main campus of a University with 30,000 students that was built in the 1970's

Last edited by fubo; November 3rd, 2015 at 05:50 PM.
Old November 4th, 2015, 01:15 AM   #111
CNB30

To Be fair, I was somewhat joking (and I prefer the rust-belt, or the Northeast any-day over some suburban sunbelt hell).

Furthermore, I also know that while the rust-belt overall is still in some kind of slump, that some older cities, such as Pittsburgh, and Buffalo have seen a massive surge in the creative class (a hopeful sign). Anyway, I would actually be quite happy if this became some kind of turn-around sign.

Plus, If this is any better

Feel The Bern #2016

mrsmartman liked this post
Old November 4th, 2015, 04:22 AM   #112
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1674

I know what he's trying to say though.

Most cities that are Buffalo's size have major hubs of activity and employment in their suburbs. Take Albuquerque for example, it is quite a bit smaller than Buffalo even, but there, there are a lot of more built up suburban satellite areas with apartments and office towers and shopping areas. Except for a few small areas, I am not sure if Buffalo really has any of that, does it? Looking at Google Maps, beyond the city there's just a thinned out ring of 1950's era housing developments mixed with new McMansions. Low rise, low density, a mall here and there.

This is actually a huge advantage for Buffalo. Suppose its economy returns to health. The city and downtown will have a monopoly when it comes to being the region's employment and cultural center.

What this means for transit of course is that besides a rail extension to Amherst maybe there just is not really any great need for significant transit service beyond the city? Just focus on good quality bus service and maintain the rail line that the city is so fortunate to even have.

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

Bring me the continuum transfunctioner...

CNB30 liked this post

Last edited by zaphod; November 4th, 2015 at 04:34 AM.
zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2015, 05:22 AM   #113
fubo

BUFFALO | Public Transport

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post

Most cities that are Buffalo's size have major hubs of activity and employment in their suburbs. Take Albuquerque for example, it is quite a bit smaller than Buffalo even, but there, there are a lot of more built up suburban satellite areas with apartments and office towers and shopping areas. Except for a few small areas, I am not sure if Buffalo really has any of that, does it? Looking at Google Maps, beyond the city there's just a thinned out ring of 1950's era housing developments mixed with new McMansions. Low rise, low density, a mall here and there.

This is actually a huge advantage for Buffalo. Suppose its economy returns to health. The city and downtown will have a monopoly when it comes to being the region's employment and cultural center.

What this means for transit of course is that besides a rail extension to Amherst maybe there just is not really any great need for significant transit service beyond the city? Just focus on good quality bus service and maintain the rail line that the city is so fortunate to even have.

What he is saying does not jive with the facts. The proposed Amherst LRT corridor has seen explosive growth in traffic, population and economic activity over the past decade. The University has surpassed 30,000 students up from 23,000 in 2003 and has over 7,000 employees. Just to the north of the University is the Cross Point business park which was built over the past 10 years. The business park is the home to major facilities for Bank of America, M&T Bank, Citi, Geico and several others. Total employment within this one office park alone is in excess of 10,000 employees. Those facts along with the additional 2,000+ housing units erected along the transit corridor over the past 8 years are why the NFTA is now seriously studying the LRRT extension connecting the largest and fourth largest municipalities in Upstate NY.

In regards to your suggestion about downtown's monopoly on employment. That statement reflects a lack of knowledge about Metro Buffalo. Currently only 18% of the metro areas jobs are within the City of Buffalo and only 8% are within the CBD.

Last edited by fubo; November 4th, 2015 at 05:51 AM.
Old November 4th, 2015, 08:05 AM   #114
Buffaboy
Buffalo's Idealist💡

Quote:

My guess is that ABQ has big suburban "clusters," almost like the Dunn-Loring/Merrifield/Tysons Corner area of Virginia. For worse or better in Buffalo, our suburbs are spread out wide but we have a denser city; there are a select few buildings over 10 stories in the suburbs, and I can count them on one hand. None over 15.

I personally think a beltway expressway would have put a natural cap to this crazy sprawl in Lancaster but that will not happen.
Old November 5th, 2015, 03:39 PM   #115
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

Q2 APTA Ridership numbers http://www.apta.com/resources/statis...rship-APTA.pdf

Light Rail : 18,500 : 34.23% +
Bus Ridership : 70,000 : -4.54%
Visit the New Jersey Section

dimlys1994 liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2015, 07:37 PM   #116
Buffaboy
Buffalo's Idealist💡

I look at the Metro Rail in those page 1 photos and think of other systems conceived around that time like the WMATA (which I posted photos of in another thread), I think that even for the 80's this Metro Rail system isn't aesthetically pleasing and is functionally obsolete, like many other projects that have been done in the Buffalo area.

You will see what I mean when I direct you to this Forgotten Buffalo post and show some photos below. What is a subterranean line past Tupper St. and surface line to the Inner Harbor was supposed to be all-underground heavy rail, but because of the water table (which I'm sure through engineering techniques can be overcome) and typical NIMBYism of suburban Buffalonians, the project was stymied.

My gut tells me that even if Buffalo's population increased, heavy rail using the existing tunnels would not be a possibility. But if we can't build highways in the city, why not try it?

http://www.forgottenbuffalo.com/forg...orail1973.html

http://www.forgottenbuffalo.com/forg...orail1973.html

Last edited by Buffaboy; November 6th, 2015 at 07:43 PM.
Old November 7th, 2015, 07:02 AM   #117
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1674

Hey light rail numbers went up.

I guess they stemmed the decay, huh?

Or was it because they closed some stations and were doing work on the system the last quarter and this is just the system going back to its normal?

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

Bring me the continuum transfunctioner...

zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2015, 09:36 PM   #118
fubo

Quote:
Hey light rail numbers went up.

I guess they stemmed the decay, huh?

Or was it because they closed some stations and were doing work on the system the last quarter and this is just the system going back to its normal?
Increase in downtown population, Increase in downtown jobs, increase in downtown events/concerts/Canalside.

zaphod liked this post
Old December 5th, 2015, 06:49 AM   #119
Buffaboy
Buffalo's Idealist💡

Buffalo could use a streetcar system. It's mind boggling when you realize Buffalo has severely regressed in public transportation when you look at how many streetcar lines they once had.

Old December 6th, 2015, 04:33 AM   #120
CNB30

My God that looks like Dupont Circle! Amazing!!!

Feel The Bern #2016

Buffaboy liked this post

Tags
buffalo, new york, nfta, niagara frontier