daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 6th, 2011, 02:41 AM   #61
snowland
BANNED

Likes (Received): 9

What a great photo tour. Can't wait to see Madrid.
snowland no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 12th, 2011, 02:20 AM   #62
Vecais Sakarnis

Likes (Received): 735

Sorry for the long waiting, we are finally flying to Madrid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
By just looking at the map and some other photos I got an impression that it is a very sophisticated and well planned city. I have never been there but I guess it would not be an overstatement to say that it is one of the best cities in Europe? Perhaps not as beautiful as Barcelona
Surely it is not an overstatement! Madrid is one of the grand cities of Europe, along with Paris, London, Vienna and few others in terms of architecture, but it has not only that - it has also the most active and beautiful nightlife I have seen, and, of course, it has also the most beautiful weather - I guess, only Athens can compete with Madrid in terms of amount of sunshine.

Madrid left very positive impressions in my memory, similarly like Barcelona. I can't agree it's less beautiful than Barcelona - of course, it hasn't seaside and it hasn't Gaudi, but it has many other charming things which I hope you'll see in the next 300+ photos.

This time you have just to be patient still a bit... Because in this post - on the way to Madrid, through airplane's window. But I hope you won't be disappointed because Spain's aerial views are also stunning!

246. First, there were a thick blanket of clouds over France...

247. Clouds were going on and on and I started to worry - do they really be over Spain too?

248. But no - about the time just as we crossed France-Spain border, the clouds miraculously disappeared...

250. Maybe Spanish forumers can identify these places?

251. Interesting what is this town?

252. And this one?

253. Rather urbanised area - several towns not far from each other:

255. Not far from Madrid there started mountains... I guess Madrid was strategically built behind them, due to military reasons?

260. We have landed on Madrid's only airport - but a huge one. Barajas.

STRASBOURG & BRUSSELS 2013 BERLIN 2012 VILNIUS 2013 TALLINN 2012 MADRID 2011 PARIS 2008 ROME 2008 MARSEILLE 2008 WARSAW 2008

UPCOMING: Malta 2013 | Cagliari 2013 | Amsterdam 2013 | Stockholm 2011
Vecais Sakarnis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2011, 04:05 PM   #63
Benonie
Bike It!

Likes (Received): 19758

Wow! Even your shots from the plane are great!
Benonie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2011, 07:40 PM   #64
Filandon

Likes (Received): 1250

I would say picture 250 is From the outskirts of Alcalá de Henares and 251 from Segovia, the others (The rather urbanised area) should be Guadalajara and around. Great pictures by the way (Brussels included)
Filandon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2011, 07:44 PM   #65
Filandon

I forgot to say that the main reason why the location of the court was chosen was that has lots of water, that was in the middle of the peninsula and belonged to the mighty kingdom of Castille, that there was no bishop to get in trouble with the court (was in Toledo) and that it was a great hunting area which was the main hobbie of the king.
Old September 12th, 2011, 08:48 PM   #66
Castor_Game

Likes (Received): 21832

No, Filandón, photography number 251 does not correspond to Segovia
Castor_Game no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2011, 09:25 PM   #67
Filandon

actually I was doubting and now I realized its not. My bet now goes to Aranda del Duero but again Im not sure
Old September 12th, 2011, 10:24 PM   #68
Castor_Game

However, in the picture 254 can see the following:

The city on the right side of the photograph in the center, is Segovia (World Heritage), but only their newest part.

The mountains on the left, the closest is the "Macizo de la Mujer Muerta" (Mass of Women Dead), with its unmistakable silhouette of a reclining woman.

In the center of the left side we can see the Ponton reservoir, and onset depression is the Eresma River, which goes a long throat.

The villages we see are Palazuelos de Eresma and Tabanera del Monte (united), Trescasas, San Cristobal de Segovia, Cabanillas del Monte, Tizneros and Torrecaballeros.
Old September 12th, 2011, 10:37 PM   #69
Castor_Game

In the picture 257 we see the Pinilla Reservoir and the villages of Lozoya, Pinilla del Valle, Alameda del Valle and Canencia
Old September 13th, 2011, 03:36 PM   #70
el palmesano
Roquetero

Likes (Received): 20143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vecais Sakarnis View Post

It is the Royal Seat of San Lorenzo de El Escorial, in Madrid
Old September 13th, 2011, 05:52 PM   #71
Pavlemadrid
Madrileñian member

Likes (Received): 2532

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filandon View Post
I would say picture 250 is From the outskirts of Alcalá de Henares and 251 from Segovia, the others (The rather urbanised area) should be Guadalajara and around. Great pictures by the way (Brussels included)
No, I think they are not important towns, Segovia and Alcalá are bigger cities, the second has more than 200.000 inh.
Pavlemadrid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2011, 07:41 PM   #72
Castor_Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlemadrid View Post
No, I think they are not important towns, Segovia and Alcalá are bigger cities, the second has more than 200.000 inh.
Pavlemadrid, Segovia is a wonderful city, but never a bigger city, has only 55,000 inhabitants.

The picture 253 is also Segovia.

If they are correlated, the picture 250 could never be Alcalá de Henares.

The picture 251 can not be Aranda de Duero, the river Duero not appear anywhere.

The picture 258 is Canencia village.

The pictures 255 and 256 is Peñalara Mountain.
Old September 13th, 2011, 07:47 PM   #73
Castor_Game

Edit

Last edited by Castor_Game; September 14th, 2011 at 07:28 AM. Reason: Duplicated
Old September 13th, 2011, 11:05 PM   #74
Pavlemadrid
Madrileñian member

Likes (Received): 2532

Segovia is not a great city but it's bigger than the town in picture 251, I was comparing Segovia with that town.
Pavlemadrid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2011, 07:09 PM   #75
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244473

Great, very nice photo tour once again; i will wait to see photos from Madrid
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2011, 09:18 AM   #76
Linguine
leisure cook

Likes (Received): 3939

great updates.....thanks for sharing.
Old September 20th, 2011, 02:51 AM   #77
Vecais Sakarnis

261. When I arrived from Barajas airport in late evening and came out of underground after 30 minutes journey with metro (metro line goes until the airport!) I arrived... in a vortex of life. Streets were full of streams of cars, people enjoying the summer's night and mighty, wonderful buildings... The first impression was just mindblowing.

263. I left my bag in my hostel right behind this famous highrise building and went on a "short" night-walk which turned out at least 2 hours long...

264. Not far from here I experienced a funny moment - one Spanish girl (apparently arrived from some other place of Spain) asked me whether I know Madrid well... I had to answer that I'm just arrived here myself

265. Just around the corner and a bit forward, my mouth left open-wide... Completely accidentally, I was stumbled upon a Royal palace of Madrid

STRASBOURG & BRUSSELS 2013 BERLIN 2012 VILNIUS 2013 TALLINN 2012 MADRID 2011 PARIS 2008 ROME 2008 MARSEILLE 2008 WARSAW 2008

Last edited by Vecais Sakarnis; September 20th, 2011 at 02:57 AM.
Old September 20th, 2011, 11:06 AM   #78
JAVICUENCA

Likes (Received): 55

Just stunning pictures. I did this when I read about the girl you met. I think she just wanted to "show you" Madrid ... a very friendly girl, you see

But its true, a city is not only the arquitecture but also the people and energy it has.
Madrid: 3 top world class museums, 300 kms of underground for 1,20 euros, a new airport terminal of 1 km long by Richard Rogers, the city where more companies are created in Spain and which gets 70% of foreign investments for Spain, the biggest gay pride of Europe, the perfect city to learn Spanish, a new park of 6 kms along the river Manzanares, 4 skyscrapers of 250 mtrs, some excellent museums and...in the future a new avenue of three kms with more than ten skyscrapers of 250 and 300 mters...and soon Eurovegas!
JAVICUENCA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2011, 01:27 PM   #79
Vecais Sakarnis

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVICUENCA View Post
Just stunning pictures. I did this when I read about the girl you met. I think she just wanted to "show you" Madrid ... a very friendly girl, you see
She actually looked really confused, as if she would search for some place and don't know where it is.

But in case if you are right, then it's just huge difference between relationship culture in Latvia and Spain which didn't let me catch the hint. Here it would be rather unimaginable - so open and friendly approach. Are such cases of "acquaintances on street" regular in Spain?

Old September 21st, 2011, 03:31 PM   #80
JAVICUENCA

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vecais Sakarnis View Post
She actually looked really confused, as if she would search for some place and don't know where it is.

But in case if you are right, then it's just huge difference between relationship culture in Latvia and Spain which didn't let me catch the hint. Here it would be rather unimaginable - so open and friendly approach. Are such cases of "acquaintances on street" regular in Spain?
Well, it doesn´t happen everyday. But maybe a group of girls after having had a couple of drinks can talk to more guys and invite them to have more drinks together in a disco and...who knows.

When people is drunk maybe it can happen.
But it seems your girl was really lost.
A girl alone usually wouldn´t do it unless she is really really drunk which doesn´t seem the case. In Spain people goes out a lot but usually in groups.
Madrid: 3 top world class museums, 300 kms of underground for 1,20 euros, a new airport terminal of 1 km long by Richard Rogers, the city where more companies are created in Spain and which gets 70% of foreign investments for Spain, the biggest gay pride of Europe, the perfect city to learn Spanish, a new park of 6 kms along the river Manzanares, 4 skyscrapers of 250 mtrs, some excellent museums and...in the future a new avenue of three kms with more than ten skyscrapers of 250 and 300 mters...and soon Eurovegas!
JAVICUENCA no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
belgium, brussels, madrid, spain in the world