daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Seattle

Old March 13th, 2012, 09:15 AM   #181
NW Mike

Likes (Received): 52

Seattleist took the words right out of my mouth

Sponsored Links

Old March 13th, 2012, 02:00 PM   #182
Rogue Linguist

Likes (Received): 154

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattleist View Post
I agree wholeheartedly. Seattle chose James Corner because he was the most forward-thinking and exciting designer who came forward.

We have a tradition in this city of looking to the future and charting new paths forward, from the modernist architecture at the Century 21 Exposition in the 60s to the deconstructivist Central Library of the 2000s.

The Discovery Institute illustrations heavily reference the Victorian architecture of Pioneer Square, specifically the pergola. Even that architecture, while ornate, was forward-looking for its time, as it reflected advances in industrialism, ironworking, and engineering. We should be designing a waterfront for the city of the digital revolution, not the industrial revolution.
Exactly.
Old April 12th, 2012, 09:30 PM   #183
Matt the Engineer

Likes (Received): 450

Anyone know what this is? Looks like they're framing for a big concrete box. Does this have something to do with the waterfront project or the tunnel?

Matt the Engineer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 09:34 PM   #184
Seasun

Likes (Received): 146

I've been wondering the same thing recently. Looks like it's an electrical vault project.

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/projects/sr5...tleelectrical/
Seasun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 09:39 PM   #185
Matt the Engineer

Strange they'd build a big concrete box for electrical work before they're done with the new ferry dock design or the waterfront design.
Old April 12th, 2012, 09:41 PM   #186
mhays
Journeyman

Likes (Received): 509

Maybe it's a necessary precursor to the seawall project.
mhays no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 11:21 PM   #187
CityView Jim

Likes (Received): 340

Probably this:

http://seattle.gov/light/aboutus/con...olio_FINAL.pdf
CityView Jim está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2012, 12:54 AM   #188
jam5

Likes (Received): 29

After the Alaskan Way Viaduct, city sees 'a waterfront for all'

By Lynn Thompson
Seattle Times staff reporter

Hot tubs and a gondola climbing from Alaskan Way to First Avenue are out.

But a heated saltwater swimming pool on a barge, a seasonal roller rink on a pier and a mist machine — for those days when nature doesn't provide its own — are still part of the vision for a transformed Seattle waterfront.

Celebrated landscape architect James Corner on Thursday presented the latest iteration of plans for parks, pathways and public plazas along Elliott Bay from the stadiums to Belltown.

The city also is about to get the price tag: $420 million, about half of which would come from a local improvement district funded by downtown property owners, with the rest from city taxpayers and private donors.

When combined with other current and proposed waterfront projects — including state funding for a rebuilt Alaskan Way and a November bond measure to rebuild the seawall — the total value of improvements to the area could exceed $1 billion.

The City Council on Monday will get funding recommendations for the park portions of the project.

The finance subcommittee of the Central Waterfront Committee, a group that has been meeting for the past two years, is recommending a mix of public and private funding that would carry the project forward over the next seven to eight years and correspond with ongoing work on the Highway 99 tunnel and the proposed seawall reconstruction.
jam5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2012, 01:14 AM   #189
Matt the Engineer

I refuse to celebrate any architect that cuts a gondola out of his project in exchange for a mist machine on the waterfront in Seattle.
Old July 14th, 2012, 01:39 AM   #190
CityView Jim

Likes (Received): 340

Maybe that's where the zipline should go!
CityView Jim está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2012, 01:48 AM   #191
jam5

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt the Engineer View Post
I refuse to celebrate any architect that cuts a gondola out of his project in exchange for a mist machine on the waterfront in Seattle.
I am not seeing how a gondola cannot be added in the future if it isn't included in this proposal.
jam5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2012, 02:00 AM   #192
Matt the Engineer

Unlike the mist machine?
Old July 14th, 2012, 04:00 AM   #193
LCIII

Likes (Received): 585

Quote:
There was no exchange. The mist machine was already included. And who says it was James Corner who wanted it gone?
LCIII no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2012, 06:13 AM   #194
Capitol Hill

Likes (Received): 882

Quote:
If the waterfront park gets a mist machine, then Volunteer Park deserves a douche machine. Just sayin'.
Old July 14th, 2012, 07:15 AM   #195
Rogue Linguist

Likes (Received): 154

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitol Hill View Post
If the waterfront park gets a mist machine, then Volunteer Park deserves a douche machine. Just sayin'.
Ahahahahahahahahaha. That's funny. Yes, yes it does.
Old July 16th, 2012, 07:26 PM   #196
Ruffhauser

Likes (Received): 965

From todays DJC

http://www.djc.com/news/ae/12042941.html

July 16, 2012

Waterfront redevelopment could start in 2013

Maggie Walker of the Central Waterfront Committee said passage of the seawall bond measure is crucial.

By LYNN PORTER
Journal Staff Reporter

People in Seattle will start to see changes on the waterfront in 2013, according to the latest design concept and financing plans for redeveloping 26 city blocks along Elliott Bay.

The design team, city staff and a committee guiding the waterfront effort showed the plans at a public meeting last week. The Seattle City Council will be asked in August to pass a resolution endorsing both the design and the financing.

The planning group identified “core” projects it believes can be completed in about eight years.

Here is when some of that work could start:

• In 2014, improve access to the waterfront with a covered escalator from Union Street and First Avenue.

• In late 2013 or early 2014, start the first phase of replacing the seawall from Washington to Virginia streets, and initial work on a promenade along Alaskan Way.

• In 2015, revamp either Pier 62/63 or Waterfront Park Pier. Pier 62/63 would house concerts, a roller-skating rink and kayak launch, and have a barge with a heated saltwater swimming pool docked off the side. Waterfront Park would have open space, performance venues and a children's water feature.

• In 2016 to 2018, construct the promenade, which will have a bike trail, access to the water, parks and open space.

Ruffhauser está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2012, 09:19 PM   #197
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 162

Wow! I didn't expect they would start working on Waterfront redevelopment sooner. I thought they would get started right after they take the Alaskan Viaduct down in 2016. I hope they could get started sooner.
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2012, 09:48 PM   #198
RMacherat
Buy used books

Likes (Received): 278

Well, we're going to get a rocky beach, think Ipanema-lite, and there's the new ferris wheel, London-skoshi, and we already have an aquarium (like absolutely everybody,) so I'm thinking, how about a little Chocolate Stand? The tourists will come just for that, I'll bet.
RMacherat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2012, 01:01 AM   #199
testdrive

Likes (Received): 109

There was an interesting discussion on NPR this morning about the waterfront development and the guy that was being interviewed is on the design panel (sorry tuned in after they said his name) and he was saying that all the renders out there really only show the basic elements they want and they are really only into about 10% of the detailed design work. A guy called in and suggested that they include the trolly and he said that the design they have allows for that to be included if there is a lot of support for it. Also another person called in and asked if they could allow access for the public to go under the piers as there was a lot of net stuff to look at in terms of plant and other forms of life.........he seemed to like that idea and said he would take it back and see what could be done with it. As far as funding goes he alluded to the idea that they already have philanthropic commitments and other sources of funding that amount to almost 80% of what is need to get the job done. What I thought was neat is their willingness to take suggestions and see how they may work
testdrive no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2012, 01:17 AM   #200
Capitol Hill

Likes (Received): 882

Quote:
Originally Posted by testdrive View Post
What I thought was neat is their willingness to take suggestions and see how they may work
Yeah, The Seattle Process (tm) really doesn't kick in until something is 80% designed, and then everybody can start their nitpicking. The musings being at that point on why they didn't go with organic concrete that chooses to become a seawall.

Just wait. Somebody is cooking up a lawsuit about how this seawall only protects the 'Downtown Interests' and not the 99%' and dammit, why isn't my pothole fixed?

Oh, and is there is accommodation for affordable housing or homeless people? After all, what kind of society are we in if we don't take care of our most vulnerable citizens?

Okay, I'll stop now, I've given them enough ammunition.