daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 4th, 2012, 08:54 PM   #141
đđeůx
Still Comin' Out Strong

Likes (Received): 1979

yeah they commenced flights starting last October.

Sponsored Links
Old March 4th, 2012, 08:58 PM   #142
lady gaga
Mod

Likes (Received): 845

Quote:
Originally Posted by đđeůx View Post
yeah they commenced flights starting last October.
Nice! I wonder when are they going to launch Riyadh service ? Saudi Arabia need more African routes
lady gaga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2012, 09:02 PM   #143
đđeůx
Still Comin' Out Strong

who knows when but I think Jeddah will be apart of their mideast expansion. But you now maybe that won't be until after 2014 when KQ finally gets it 9 787 Dreamliners (which will replace the 767-300ERs on the Dubai route).

edit: oops I just realized I meant Riyadh not Jeddah.

Last edited by đđeůx; March 4th, 2012 at 09:46 PM.
đđeůx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2012, 09:16 PM   #144
lady gaga
Mod

I suppose jeddah will also receive the B787 or maybe launch flight's to Riyadh with it
Old March 4th, 2012, 09:45 PM   #145
đđeůx
Still Comin' Out Strong

I hope so.
Old March 5th, 2012, 02:17 PM   #146
lady gaga
Mod

Me too so i can ride this thing
Old March 5th, 2012, 02:18 PM   #147
lady gaga
Mod

Quote:
who knows when but I think Jeddah will be apart of their mideast expansion. But you now maybe that won't be until after 2014 when KQ finally gets it 9 787 Dreamliners (which will replace the 767-300ERs on the Dubai route).

edit: oops I just realized I meant Riyadh not Jeddah.
LOL!
Old March 17th, 2012, 12:00 AM   #148
GTR66
GTR66

Likes (Received): 312

Kenya Airways Adds Second Destination in Indian Subcontinent

SkyTeam alliance member Kenya Airways has announced the introduction of a second route to India with the launch of a four times weekly connection between Nairobi and the country’s capital city New Delhi using a Boeing 767-300ER. The airline already offers flights to Mumbai and has suggested it will serve four additional destinations in the subcontinent as part of its ten-year development programme.

India’s economic growth has averaged around seven per cent each year since 1997, making it one of the world’s largest emerging markets. According to industry forecasts, traffic flows between sub-Saharan Africa and India are expected to grow at a rate of 7.1 per cent per annum over the next decade. The new route will seek to expand and promote the bilateral and commercial relations between India and the African region. India is Kenya’s sixth largest trading partner, with a vast business presence in the country and bilateral trade hit an estimated $4.8 billion in the 2010/2011 financial year.

“New Delhi is the second city after Mumbai that we will be flying to India, we intend to open four more destinations in the sub continent as part of our 10-year expansion strategy,” said Dr Titus Naikuni, Chief Executive Officer, Kenya Airways, adding that the destination has great business prospects as the most preferred city in terms of information technology, investments, healthcare and government relations.

In the past year an estimated 27,000 O&D passengers travelled between Nairobi and New Delhi despite the lack of direct flights. Kenya Airways has a minimal share of this traffic via its existing Mumbai link with onward connections from local partners. The wider O&D demand between Kenya and India was estimated at 176,000 passengers in 2011, up 15.9 per cent on the previous year, with Kenya Airways holding a 34.0 per cent share of this traffic.

Kenya Airways has recently announced a right issue offer to be launched at the end of this month which aims to raise Kshs20.7 billion from its shareholders to fund the implementation of the ambitious 10-year expansion plan, dubbed Project Mawingu, which will see the airline increase the number of destinations it serves from 56 to 115 by 2021.
GTR66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2012, 01:28 AM   #149
đđeůx
Still Comin' Out Strong

Sweet. They'll be commencing flights next month!!

Kenya Airways to launch Delhi-Nairobi flight from May
http://ibnlive.in.com/generalnewsfee...ay/984734.html
Quote:
African carrier Kenya Airways today said it will commence a flight service between capital city Nairobi and New Delhi next month as part of the airline's global expansion plans. Delhi would be airline's second destination in India after Mumbai and 57th across the globe. It currently operates 10 flights a week on the Nairobi-Mumbai sector. "Kenya Airways will fly to Nairobi from New Delhi four times a week with a Boeing 767-300 aircaft, starting May 16.
Old April 19th, 2012, 01:35 AM   #150
đđeůx
Still Comin' Out Strong

Project Mawingu: Rapidly expanding Kenya Airways charts growth with plan to serve every inhabited continent by 2017
Centre for Aviation
16 April 2012

Quote:
Growth will be fuelled by Africa's status as a burgeoning market, as well as reliance on partners: Kenya Airways will open routes to SkyTeam member hubs in Xiamen (Xiamen Airlines), Hanoi (Vietnam Airlines), Seoul (Korean Air), Moscow (Aeroflot) and Prague (Czech Airlines). The intercontinental focus follows Kenya's strong emphasis on regional Africa, with the carrier aiming to serve every African nation by the end of 2013.

Pending significant additional aircraft orders, for the eight years from 2013 Kenya Airways will open three new points outside of Africa every year in addition to its intra-Africa expansion. FY2014/15 is projected to see Kenya Airways' first South American service with a thrice weekly Boeing 787 flight to Sao Paulo, FY2015/16 the first North American service with thrice weekly 777-200LR flight to Toronto and FY2016/17 the first Australia Pacific service with a thrice weekly 787 flight to Australia's Perth.

But Kenya's expansion in existing continents is far more comprehensive, potentially alluring and also guaranteed with lower risks. Guangzhou is the currently the carrier's sole mainland Chinese destination, but by 2021 Kenya Airways will open seven more: Beijing, Shanghai, Chengdu, Chongqing, Xiamen, Kunming and Urumqi. (Kenya Airways previously flagged greater interest in China but did not name specific points.)

Last edited by đđeůx; April 19th, 2012 at 01:45 AM.
đđeůx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2012, 01:38 AM   #151
đđeůx
Still Comin' Out Strong

KQ's 2nd & 3rd China routes will be Shanghai & Chengdu in the 2016/2017 fiscal year. South America will gets its first route with KQ via Sao Paolo & Australia via Perth in 2016/2017 too.

SE Asia will see Hanoi added & KL (if I'm right).

Europe will have Moscow, Prague & Berlin added.

So 4 years until then! Too long of a wait, but I guess that's what delayed aircraft orders and having to raise funds for expansion does....
Old April 19th, 2012, 01:47 AM   #152
đđeůx
Still Comin' Out Strong

An image of New Delhi upcoming flight

Old April 19th, 2012, 01:55 AM   #153
đđeůx
Still Comin' Out Strong

B737 in Skyteam colors

Old April 19th, 2012, 03:01 AM   #154
krnboy1009

Likes (Received): 169

Quote:
Project Mawingu: Rapidly expanding Kenya Airways charts growth with plan to serve every inhabited continent by 2017
Centre for Aviation
16 April 2012

Dont you dare get my hopes up, Kenya Air seriously planning on new route to Seoul???????

But in 2019 though. Eh, long time away. But still. Great news.
krnboy1009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2012, 07:24 AM   #155
lady gaga
Mod

Quote:
An image of New Delhi upcoming flight

Nice pic but what does TAJ MAHAL have to do with New Delhi ??! lol
Old April 19th, 2012, 07:42 AM   #156
đđeůx
Still Comin' Out Strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnboy1009 View Post
Dont you dare get my hopes up, Kenya Air seriously planning on new route to Seoul???????

But in 2019 though. Eh, long time away. But still. Great news.
Yep! I know it's a long wait, hopefully if their rights issue gets them the $$ they need for more orders they can push that date up. But still great news.

Their rights issue started late last month, and continues till the 27th of this month.

Kenya Airways In $249 Million Share Rights Issue To Double Fleet

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-...02-705305.html
Quote:
Kenya Airways Ltd. (KAL.NR) has launched a 20.7 billion Kenya shillings ($249 million) rights issue to raise funds for its plans to double its fleet and expand the air route network to link Nairobi to all African countries and the rest of the world, the president's press office said in a statement e mailed Monday.

President Mwai Kibaki said that for Kenya Airways to achieve its ambitious growth plan, the national carrier needed to mobilize significant financial resources both in the form of debt and equity to invest in new planes and other facilities, the statement said.

Kenya Airways plans to double its fleet from the current 34 planes to 68 through the expansion plan, the statement said.

"The rights issue we are launching today [Friday] will be East Africa's largest rights issue. Kenya Airways is our national flag carrier airline. To retain this status, Kenyans have to continue to own more than 50% of the airline's shares," Kibaki is quoted as saying.

Kibaki said the government and other Kenyan investors own about 60% of Kenya Airways shares and the issue offers them the priority to buy 886 million of the 1,477 million shares on offer, the statement said.

Franco-Dutch airline Air France-KLM (AFLYY) holds 26% stake of Kenya Airways, which is listed on the Nairobi Stock Exchange.

"The government of Kenya and KLM have committed to take up their full entitlement in the rights issue. I hope that you will join us in investing in Kenya Airways and help turn its renewed dreams into reality," Kibaki is quoted as saying.

Those who aren't Kenya Airways shareholders can buy shares, which is on offer through Nairobi Securities Exchange between April 2 and 18, according to the rights issue timetable.

The offer extends between March 30 and April 27.
Old April 19th, 2012, 07:47 AM   #157
đđeůx
Still Comin' Out Strong

New KQ Subsidiary: Jambo Jet is coming to Eastern Africa this year
http://www.eturbonews.com/28783/jamb...rn-africa-year

Quote:
Kenya Airways (KQ) own low-cost carrier (LCC), Jambo Jet, is still expected to take to the skies over Kenya and across Eastern Africa by 2012, it was learned from a regular source in Nairobi.

The new airline will be a fully-owned subsidiary of Kenya Airways but operate under its own licenses, with its own fleet of aircraft sourced from KQ, its own staff, and under its own logo.

A source working at JKIA: If KQ is determined to launch their own low-cost version, it will be good for fares. They can use planes from the fleet on charter, on wet lease, or on dry lease as it suits them. They can fly domestic inside Kenya but also to EAC countries around us. For passengers, it is still within the same group, although no one knows by now if flights will earn miles, but we expect KQ will pull all strings to make their new venture attractive and a success by using existing installations and facilities. I would speculate that KQ might send their E170s to Jambo Jet, because by now, they are more keen on the larger E190 version, which is one of the most cost-effective aircraft of its size and class.
Old April 19th, 2012, 07:52 AM   #158
đđeůx
Still Comin' Out Strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady gaga View Post
Nice pic but what does TAJ MAHAL have to do with New Delhi ??! lol
I don't know about that.
Old April 19th, 2012, 08:07 AM   #159
lady gaga
Mod

Quote:
I don't know about that.
Old April 19th, 2012, 12:27 PM   #160
grjplanes

Likes (Received): 47

According to that expansion plans, KQ is suppose to start flights to Cape Town within the next year, either nonstop or via Windhoek, with E190...anything more substantial on that? Are they on track with that regional expansion, as that includes destinations to be launched since 2010 already, have everything been introduced as planned so far?
grjplanes no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
african airlines, kenya, skyteam