daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 21st, 2011, 04:10 PM   #41
HARTride 2012

Likes (Received): 1976

Congrats to Norfolk! They deserve LRT. Maybe my two friends, who are Navy officers stationed at the naval station in Norfolk, can give the trains a try also. :P

Now if only we can someday have LRT in Tampa Bay, FL.
HARTride 2012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 22nd, 2011, 04:01 AM   #42
WesleyL8
Tec em Processos Foto...

Likes (Received): 341

image hosted on flickr

Norfolk Light Rail "Ride The Tide" por brayndayn, no Flickr

Bombardier ?
WesleyL8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2011, 04:43 AM   #43
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17045

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyL8 View Post
Siemen's S70
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2011, 05:07 AM   #44
State of the Union

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyL8 View Post
Bombardier ?
Nope, these are Siemens S70 LRVs.
State of the Union no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 09:00 PM   #45
Ocean Railroader
The Railroad Anomily

Likes (Received): 5

I have a book at home on the history of the VA Beach and it said that this light rail line is really running along the fromer bed of a Streetcar line that was ripped up in 1948 that ran along the same railroad bed. So I'm glad the streetcars are retaking back the city that was once there's.
Ocean Railroader no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2011, 05:02 PM   #46
HARTride 2012

In Tampa, FL we had a streetcar network from the late 1800s until the 1940s, when the system was dismantled. In 2001, the downtown streetcar returned to service, but sees relatively dismal ridership at times. Funding is steadily decreasing because of the poor economy and recent political decisions. So Tampa may soon be left without a streetcar again (which frankly can be converted into LRT if the politicians would really take some time to think about it).

I will say again, Norfolk definitely deserves LRT & I wish everyone there all the best with their new system. Tampa was so close to getting a dedicated funding stream for LRT (a penny tax), but the Tea Party movement in the county essentially shot it down. Hopefully in the next ten years, we can try for something else to get LRT.

=============================
With that said, I wanted to ask everyone here a question. I am building a website devoted to public transit in Tampa, FL, but I am profiling a few other places that I've been to recently that have pretty good public transit systems (New York City, Paris, Brussels, just to name a few), and I wanted to include Norfolk's LRT in one of the pages.

I have to say, that I really like the photos that have been posted on this thread so far, but I see that most of these photos are on Flickr accounts. I wanted to ask a couple friends who live in the area to snap a couple photos for my site, but I don't know what the policies are regarding picture-taking. I know some transit districts are more stringent than others. If anyone here can offer me some information on this, I will really appreciate it.
Old October 19th, 2011, 12:47 AM   #47
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17045

Some recent shots of the Tide from Cirrus over on SSP.

image hosted on flickr

Newtown Rd Station by BeyondDC, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Maintenance facility by BeyondDC, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

LRV interior by BeyondDC, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Approaching downtown by BeyondDC, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Interior map by BeyondDC, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Monticello Ave by BeyondDC, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Approaching MacArthur Square Station by BeyondDC, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Plume Street by BeyondDC, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

MacArthur Square Station by BeyondDC, on Flickr
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2011, 01:06 AM   #48
HARTride 2012

Great photos, even though it is in the rain.

Again, though, these come from other peoples Flickr accounts, which I do not want to meddle with when it comes to posting content about the HR LRT on my transit fan site. I know the NY/NJ PATH has that hideous photo permit policy. Does anyone know if things are more lenient in Norfolk when it comes to people snapping photos of the trains?
Old October 19th, 2011, 02:24 AM   #49
Professor L Gee
Fan of skylines, highways

Likes (Received): 21

I'll be home for Thanksgiving.

Even though "home" for me is Newport News, I should find a reason to go to Norfolk and ride the Tide.
Professor L Gee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2011, 02:58 AM   #50
State of the Union

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Some recent shots of the Tide from Cirrus over on SSP.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

These 2 photos show what I like about Light Rail over HRT Subways and elevated structures. When done right, like shown in these 2 photos, it's very well integrated into the surrounding landscape, which is very pleasing to the eye, while also being safe and convenient. No need to walk flights of stairs or escalators, it seems like you could just walk straight up the sidewalk like normal and be at the station.

The Landscaping is really well done, I also love the small tram-like platforms and the one car trains. Definitely gives it a European Tram feel. I assume the platforms will be extended should the need arise for multi-car trains...
State of the Union no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2011, 09:20 PM   #51
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53485

More:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Plume Street by BeyondDC, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Approaching Newtown Rd Station by BeyondDC, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Old November 6th, 2011, 10:56 PM   #52
greg_christine

Likes (Received): 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by State of the Union View Post
These 2 photos show what I like about Light Rail over HRT Subways and elevated structures. When done right, like shown in these 2 photos, it's very well integrated into the surrounding landscape, which is very pleasing to the eye, while also being safe and convenient. No need to walk flights of stairs or escalators, it seems like you could just walk straight up the sidewalk like normal and be at the station.

The Landscaping is really well done, I also love the small tram-like platforms and the one car trains. Definitely gives it a European Tram feel. I assume the platforms will be extended should the need arise for multi-car trains...

The Kirn Memorial Library building was demolished to make way for the station. Assuming the system is someday expanded to the point that longer trains are required, Bank Street will have to be closed to allow for the platforms to be extended, as shown in the following image from one of the planning documents.
greg_christine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2011, 11:56 PM   #53
Professor L Gee
Fan of skylines, highways

Likes (Received): 21

Bank Street looks like it could close easily without impacting access to driveways (there are none on that block) or front doors (there are none on that block).

Probably remove that one traffic light there on City Hall too... or modify it so that eastbound traffic never has to stop. Isn't that entryway just for people coming to the mall?
Professor L Gee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2013, 02:19 PM   #54
HARTride 2012

There would still have to be a light coming out of the MacArthur Center onto City Hall Ave. I think it would be far too dangerous if the light was completely removed.

-----------------------------------

I took a trip to Norfolk and Virginia Beach this past weekend and will have photos, a blog post on my site, etc. up soon! In the meantime, I've uploaded a YouTube video of my transit experience.

Old April 16th, 2013, 07:44 PM   #55
HARTride 2012

I strongly agree!
Old April 16th, 2013, 07:45 PM   #56
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 860

The Tide is one of the most attractive systems I've seen in a long time.

It fits in very well with the urban enviornment and the stations have character and do not have the overwhelming presence of many stations. The have a very warm and comfortable look and are very user friendly. The trains are sleek with nice colours and they have made the right decision in not being plastering them with ads which makes you feel you are travelling in a moving billboard.

You can tell by looking at the system that a lot of fore thought went into making the line more than just a way to move people but also an asset to the urban enviornment.
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2013, 07:46 PM   #57
HARTride 2012

I strongly agree!
Old April 16th, 2013, 08:44 PM   #58
tampasteve

Likes (Received): 258

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy2 View Post
The trains are sleek with nice colours and they have made the right decision in not being plastering them with ads which makes you feel you are travelling in a moving billboard.
I agree that it is a great looking system.....but give it time. Transit agencies in the USA are starved for cash (overall) and advertising brings in much needed dollars to help fund operations and possible expansion. It may not be pretty, but it helps pay the bills.
Old April 16th, 2013, 08:47 PM   #59
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5972

This must be one of the best looking systems in the US. Not just the great station and track design but also the cars are decent looking compared to the often dated and bland looking light rails in many other cities.

Interestingly those retro station buildings would be almost impossible to imagine where I live. But I like them as I think they blend in perfectly. Same goes for the retro overhead-infrastructure in the centre.

I hope the system gets extend very soon. It really looks like just a starter line and needs more stations and more lines.
Old April 17th, 2013, 10:08 AM   #60
HARTride 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampasteve View Post
I agree that it is a great looking system.....but give it time. Transit agencies in the USA are starved for cash (overall) and advertising brings in much needed dollars to help fund operations and possible expansion. It may not be pretty, but it helps pay the bills.
I agree Steve. With federal funding for public transit way down and states and localities strangled for cash, we may have to just accept seeing ads on even light rail trains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfas View Post
This must be one of the best looking systems in the US. Not just the great station and track design but also the cars are decent looking compared to the often dated and bland looking light rails in many other cities.

Interestingly those retro station buildings would be almost impossible to imagine where I live. But I like them as I think they blend in perfectly. Same goes for the retro overhead-infrastructure in the centre.

I hope the system gets extend very soon. It really looks like just a starter line and needs more stations and more lines.
It is a very nice LRT line compared to some others that do look somewhat bland. The current line is a starter line. There are currently plans to extend the line eastward towards the Virginia Beach Oceanfront and northwestward towards Naval Station Norfolk. In addition, spur lines towards the airport, Hampton/Newport News, Chesapeake, and Portsmouth are all being talked about also.

Tags
chesapeake, hampton, hampton roads, newport news, norfolk, portsmouth, tide, virginia beach