daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Chicago

Old October 12th, 2004, 04:07 AM   #1
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 6

Where in Chicago do you plan to live?

Okay, perhaps some of you are Chicago transients who plan to move on.
Sorry that you don't wish to stay, but Chicago is not for everybody.

But for those of you want to live in Chicago, where would you ultimately like to live when all is said and done? You can be specific or vague if you like. Suburbs are included.

I, for example, love the north side but think I would be more content on the south side. However, living downtown also has its allure. As regards to having a family, though, I don't see downtown living as a long term thing unless I can get a townhome or large condo in Lakeshore east (and send the kids to LSE elementary?).

Ultimately, I would likely consider Hyde-Park/Kenwood or Bridgeport. Hyde Park is a bit weak in its 'L access but at least has the metra. Bridgeport has the 'L but it's in the median of the expressway, which is not my favorite. I also really love Bucktown.

Regarding suburbs, I would consider Evanston, Oak Park, Arlington Heights, or Palatine. All of them have a decent downtown and good train access. I am sure there are many, many other good ones but I don't know much about them. Tinley Park isn't bad, I guess. To be honest, though, I am not a big fan of Chicago suburbs. They are full of old hoagies, if you ask me, and they keep trying to stand in the way of Chicago's dominance. Now that I think about it, I really DISLIKE the suburbs!
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old October 12th, 2004, 06:49 AM   #2
STR
What'u smokin' Willis?

Likes (Received): 55

My preffered residence would be the penthouse suite on top of a 2,500ft tower that I own and built.

But in the unlikely event of the above scenario not coming to pass, any Loop/Mag Mile high-rise location would be fine by me. Park Tower or JHC top the list.
Old October 12th, 2004, 08:03 AM   #3
DeMaFrost

Location: Too North for Lakeview, too east for Roscoe Village
Likes (Received): 0

Lake Point tower, I'd move into Sammy's condo after his ass is booted out of town.
DeMaFrost no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2004, 08:52 AM   #4
simulcra
Cynical post-collegiate

Quote:
My preffered residence would be the penthouse suite on top of a 2,500ft tower that I own and built.
same here, but more realistically a 600-1000 footer.

even more realistically, somewhere in the south loop/streeterville/wicker park/lakeview areas.

In general, I really want an area that has a vibrant street life (Hyde Park is too quiet for my ultimate desires), strong connectivity, and an environment i would like my kids to grow up in. sure hyde park or bridgeport may be nice, but huge areas of them are still too quiet for my tastes.
Old October 12th, 2004, 01:38 PM   #5
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Absolutely (and I mean absolutely) check this one out:

http://www.thepinnacletower.com/floorplans46.asp

but remember: I'm claiming it, so make no plans to move in.

the 45th full floor penthouse in the pinnacle. 3 Bedrooms, Media/Study Room and Library
4 1/2 Baths
5,503 Square Feet (Approximate)

in addition to its balconies, it has two 900 s.f. terraces.

this one definitely has my name (if not my savings account) written all over it.
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2004, 01:45 PM   #6
edsg25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25
Absolutely (and I mean absolutely) check this one out:

http://www.thepinnacletower.com/floorplans46.asp

the website gets a little screwy: make that www.thepinnacletower.com/floorplans45.asp instead. 45th,not 46th floor
Old October 12th, 2004, 01:59 PM   #7
Rail Claimore

Likes (Received): 5

Somewhere near the Loop preferably, north side or south side... though I am a Cubs fan, I'd be more attracted to the north. As long as I can walk to an el station... that's a big key for me. As for any inner suburbs... if those are my desire... Evanston, Skokie, Park Ridge, Oak Park, are all decent or pretty nice.
Rail Claimore no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2004, 04:56 PM   #8
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

I'm gonna have to say Block 37 I need access to every train line in the city, so, I'm pretty much restricted to a box bounded by Dearborn, State, Wacker and Van Buren.
geoff_diamond no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2004, 06:54 PM   #9
edsg25
BANNED

Evanston and Oak Park understandably show up the way you'd expect on a thread like this; they both have great appeal for those who want that sense of urbanity while living in what is technically suburbia. Evanston and Oak Park have traditionally been linked: first towns north and west of the city, similiar housing styles, school districts, diversity, downtowns (even had almost identical Marshall Field's), transportation (CTA/Metra), etc.

I've had a lot of experience with both towns, all my life. IMHO: based on recent trends, I suspect that with the type of development going on today, Evanston will far exceed Oak Park.

Why?

Evanston has been able to utilize NU as a partner in so much of its downtown expansion (amazing in light of the horrendous town-gown relationship). The pure scale of redevelopment with the college community on its door-step can not be duplicated in Oak Park, despite its own building spurt. Downtown Evanston offers the best kind of density: stacked high downtown, much more relaxing around it with the lake a few blocks east. In a sense, Oak Park is the reverse. It has a low rise, less exciting downtown; the areas around it, paricularly with busy, truck-laden Harlem Avenue running right through, is much more unpleasantly congested, with far more unwanted through traffic.

Evanston's building spurt includes a lot more than its downtown. Chicago Avenue is lined with new high rise/townhouse construction, oriented to both CTA and Metra. Evanston is, in fact, taking on some of the trappings of North Side lakefront neighborhoods. Oak Park, west of the city, doesn't have that dynamic.

Add to the fact that Evanston offers the magnificent lakefront, is desirably placed on the North Shore, a much nicer part of suburbia than Oak Pk's near west location (where it can only relate to River Forest), and IMHO Evanston has Oak Park easily beat.

Oak Park, however, scores points due to closeness to downtown and for all the Wright architecture. And is a pretty damned terrific place in its own right.

Just my opinion. Quoting Dennis Miller (although I prefer not to) I could be wrong.
Old October 12th, 2004, 06:56 PM   #10
edsg25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_diamond
I'm gonna have to say Block 37 I need access to every train line in the city, so, I'm pretty much restricted to a box bounded by Dearborn, State, Wacker and Van Buren.
Do you enjoy living inside or on top of the tents?

Would someone please tell me, assure me, that by the time Jeb, Neal, Barbara and/or Jenna Bush become President, this damned thing will be built already.
Old October 12th, 2004, 08:18 PM   #11
STR
What'u smokin' Willis?

Likes (Received): 55

^According to Micheal Moore, the GOP plans to have the Supreme Court declare Jeb, Neal, Barbara, Jenna, and Goerge Sr. Co-Presidents for life. And only John Kerry can save us!
Old October 12th, 2004, 08:24 PM   #12
Dampyre
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR
^According to Micheal Moore, the GOP plans to have the Supreme Court declare Jeb, Neal, Barbara, Jenna, and Goerge Sr. Co-Presidents for life. And only John Kerry can save us!
I hope not. There will be a lot of oil theft if that's the case. It sure would be nice to be able to take someone else's property or resources with no consequences whatsoever.
Dampyre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2004, 09:04 PM   #13
24gotham
Formerly InTheLoop

If I were rich, I will admit that I would choose to live in NYC. But, my reality is that for my money, Chicago offers more bang for the buck than any other place in North America.

With no intention of coming across as gloating, I have the fortune of living exactly where I want to be in terms of being in Chicago. As a child growing up in the suburbs in California, I dreamed of living in an unusual space in the heart of a real city. I am grateful to say, I got my dream, albeit a bit different, but my dream none the less.

It may be small by Chicago standards (it would be a decent size for NYC.), but I got lucky when I was able to buy a small loft on State Street in the heart of the Loop. I have access to everything I need (especially now with Target open on Roosevelt), transit to anywhere I want to go, I walk to work, and every day, I get to walk amongst world class skyscrapers. While not perfect, with the exception of having a bit more square footage, I am quite satisfied with the space and location I am in. So at this time, I plan to go nowhere.

Formerly "InTheLoop" of Chicago.
24gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2004, 09:49 PM   #14
edsg25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR
Presidents for life, huh? Any idea about Canadian immigration laws?
Old October 13th, 2004, 12:11 AM   #15
Wu-Gambino

Likes (Received): 24

I'm hoping to go to Loyola University and live in an apartment in that area.
Wu-Gambino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2004, 12:19 AM   #16
Suburbanite

I would prefer an apartment anywhere on the Mag Mile or perhaps somewhere in the River East or perhaps Streeterville area. As far as suburban chicago goes I would definitly opt to live in the old part of downtown Elgin on the east side of the fox river. It is really quite beautiful despite it's crime-ridden reputation.
Suburbanite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2004, 12:44 AM   #17
MCC
Made in Indy

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMaFrost
Lake Point tower, I'd move into Sammy's condo after his ass is booted out of town.

Oprah's condo would be nice too but there's no way she's going to leave town.
MCC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2004, 05:36 AM   #18
oshkeoto

I'm really, truly surprised that Uptown hasn't come up here. For me, that neighborhood is ideal: it's the most diverse neighborhood in the city both ethnically and culturally--this is the place that has the Little Asia of Argyle Street mixed in among plentiful Mexican and African restaurants, not to mention historic jazz clubs like the Green Mill and beautiful architecture in both infill and theaters like the Aragon and the now-empty but still-impressive Uptown; it's got great access to the El and is only a twenty-minute ride to downtown; it's one of the densest and most urban-feeling neighborhoods in Chicago; and it's RIGHT ON THE LAKE!

So I would love to live in Uptown. I have two friends who live there, and they absolutely love it.

If not there, then I would not complain about living in Hyde Park, Albany Park, Rogers Park or the South or West Loop.
oshkeoto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2004, 06:34 AM   #19
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Uptown rapid access is great, as long as all you need is the Red Line (or even Brown I guess). But, if you want every line at your doorstep with no transfer requirements... then the Loop is the only place to be
geoff_diamond no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2004, 08:36 AM   #20
simulcra
Cynical post-collegiate

Quote:
though I am a Cubs fan, I'd be more attracted to the north.
um... you should be fine since cubs are north side territory.

Quote:
I'm really, truly surprised that Uptown hasn't come up here.
I've heard lots of great things about it (and the Argyle station on the red line is delightful), but I can't pass judgment on it until I've seen it in person.