daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Highrises > Proposed Highrises

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 7th, 2011, 12:45 AM   #401
Sarcasticity
Lost in the Big Apple

Likes (Received): 106

I think Chicago could use this tower. We have to admit, Chicago is slowly losing its status as an alpha city. A decade ago, Chicago is no doubt in the top ten in the world, but it seems each year gone by its slowly slipping in the rankings. Mind you, I think Chicago is world class and its skyline is still one of the best and most balanced among major cities, but it needs a wake up call. Its losing its ompetitive edge

Filipino working in NYC
Sarcasticity no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 7th, 2011, 12:50 AM   #402
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

I 1000% agree with you. A city can't live only from it's past glory. A city needs to update it's status so I think extremely tall buildings are still important for US cities. They have to proove that they are still the elite
Old December 7th, 2011, 02:34 AM   #403
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

prove it to who. You don't live in the US but you know what NYC, LA and Chicago is enough said.
Old December 7th, 2011, 03:21 AM   #404
Varghedin
Don't feed the vampire.

Likes (Received): 24

A city does not need skycrapers to be famous, and building skyscrapers does not necessarily make a city famous. There's numerous Chinese cities building supertalls but people outside China will only have heard of one or two of them. Conversely, Rome and Berlin don't have any famous skyscrapers, but are famous cities nonetheless. They also don't need to build any skyscrapers to preserve their fame. What Aznman said above is true - the building boom now being experienced by several Asian countries corresponds to the period that had New York beat its own record of world's tallest building numerous times over in the early-mid 20th century. One panicky attempt to supersede an arbitrary record would not change that.
Varghedin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2011, 03:25 AM   #405
WTCNewYork

Likes (Received): 18

I think this is much more suited to Chicago than the Spire, but I think the Chicago Wtc was even more Chicago style. Anyway, if this building gets scaled down a bit, it wouldn't surprise me, even though I would like a 2000 footer in Chicago.
WTCNewYork no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2011, 05:56 AM   #406
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsc View Post
prove it to who. You don't live in the US but you know what NYC, LA and Chicago is enough said.
Those cities do have massive buildings though, everyone knows of sears tower/ESB etc.
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2011, 07:17 AM   #407
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcasticity View Post
I think Chicago could use this tower. We have to admit, Chicago is slowly losing its status as an alpha city. A decade ago, Chicago is no doubt in the top ten in the world, but it seems each year gone by its slowly slipping in the rankings. Mind you, I think Chicago is world class and its skyline is still one of the best and most balanced among major cities, but it needs a wake up call. Its losing its ompetitive edge

Not really, I think Chicago is still an alpha city, much more so skyscraperwise, just because other cities may have 5 supertalls doesn't mean Chicago doesn't, there's just more competition.

Chicago still is, and will always be in the top 5-10 skyline cities, probably closer to the top 3 or 4 even.

Regardless, I think Chicago should still build more of course
Old December 7th, 2011, 02:11 PM   #408
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsc View Post
Prove it to the rest of the world
Old December 7th, 2011, 03:39 PM   #409
ChiSkyline

Likes (Received): 133

Whether Chicago does or doesnt get a skyscraper i still think it will always be one of the best skyline in the Usa and possibly the best skyline in the world..

Last edited by ChiSkyline; December 7th, 2011 at 06:19 PM.
ChiSkyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2011, 03:49 PM   #410
bennyboo

Likes (Received): 71

tall buildings mean nothing. the quality of the buildings is everything. which is something i think the US does far better than any developing country building their fake skylines to boast some imaginary power.
bennyboo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2011, 04:52 PM   #411
yankeesfan1000

Likes (Received): 560

What happened to this thread?

The only thing that gets this built is demand. Even in a booming economy a complex of this size would be an impressive undertaking. The office vacancy rate in Chicago is about 15.8%, and has been declining slowly. But without a massive commitment from a company looking to consolidate from several buildings into just one, a huge expansion in employment from one company, or basically a company moving their HQ to Chicago, I don't see it.

The hotel vacancy rate is about 61.7% and has been increasing slowly, but according to a Chicago Tribune article it may take until 2013 or 2014 to get back to 2007 tourism numbers. Sorry can't link to it, in my brokenish iPhone. Add the ridiculous ten stories of retail and I'm skeptical.

Anyone from Chicago familiar with this area?
yankeesfan1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2011, 06:01 PM   #412
CHI-SKY21

Likes (Received): 1

It is on the near west side of the city. Right next to the river. Not much in that area now. It is the far west end of the business district. There has been a lot of building to the west of it but all that was residential.
If this did get built there it would look awesome though! It is where the 2 major highways into the city meet. The Eisenhower expressway basicly runs right underneath that exact spot. The view coming into the city and going straight under that 2000 footer would be incredible IMHO.
CHI-SKY21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2011, 06:17 PM   #413
ChiSkyline

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHI-SKY21 View Post
It is on the near west side of the city. Right next to the river. Not much in that area now. It is the far west end of the business district. There has been a lot of building to the west of it but all that was residential.
If this did get built there it would look awesome though! It is where the 2 major highways into the city meet. The Eisenhower expressway basicly runs right underneath that exact spot. The view coming into the city and going straight under that 2000 footer would be incredible IMHO.
Sounds awesome! Hope this gets built, cant wait to actually see it.. The way your detailing it just sounds incredible. Plus with the other skyscrapers along the side of it that comes with the project will make this just marvelous..
Old December 7th, 2011, 06:19 PM   #414
ChiSkyline

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHI-SKY21 View Post
I agree with you on that one
Old December 8th, 2011, 05:15 AM   #415
Jay

why does SSP have this in the visionary section? I thouhght it was a real proposal?
Old December 8th, 2011, 08:18 AM   #416
Jay

Anyway, if it's not profitable in to build megatalls here it isn't in China either. They are building them for a status smbol, to show power. So why isn't the west? Sure it costs money but it would suck if Western cities had hardly any skyscrapers. Why would Europe and the USA let themselves get schooled like that?
Old December 8th, 2011, 08:27 AM   #417
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Those cities do have massive buildings though, everyone knows of sears tower/ESB etc.
NYC and Chicago were world icons, before either of those towers were built.
Old December 11th, 2011, 01:32 AM   #418
ChiSkyline

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13FnuKo9b8Q

This video tells a lot about thus whole project!
Old December 11th, 2011, 02:33 AM   #419
Varghedin
Don't feed the vampire.

Likes (Received): 24

http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=99066

It's listed as proposed, not visionary.
Varghedin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2011, 07:17 PM   #420
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varghedin View Post
http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=99066

It's listed as proposed, not visionary.
skyscraperpage is best choice for diagrams, but bad choice for information, really. better look what CTBUH has about the building:

http://buildingdb.ctbuh.org/building...lding_id=12608

KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
chicago, old post office