daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Highrises > Proposed Highrises

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 16th, 2011, 02:18 PM   #441
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

In my opinion China and South Korea are the true winners of the skyscraper race now. They build with a nice balance of vision and economic efficieny. The arab world builds only with vision wasting gigantic ammounts of money just like that and the US builds only commercialy without any vision.

A nice fact to support the theory of perfectly balanced construction in China and South Korea is the fact that all of their landmark projects have approximately the same height (550 meters - 650 meters). In my opinion this is nowadays limit for a well balanced skyscraper construction. The Willis Tower, the old WTC or the Empire State building were all built to meet these standards. On the other hand towers like Burj Khalifa and the Kingdom Tower are made purely for their height. Economical functionality was never planned for these buildings

But now back to this thread's tower, since it's well within the limit the Chinese and South Korean buildings show I don't think it is unrealistic to expect it to rise. Again I'm gonna ask the question I asked before, if China and South Korea can, why can't the US?

Sponsored Links
Old December 16th, 2011, 04:21 PM   #442
bennyboo

Likes (Received): 71

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPILhiTJv7E
very economical.
bennyboo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2011, 04:31 PM   #443
yankeesfan1000

Likes (Received): 560

Right off the bat Kanto you have to understand the US went through this phase that China and SK are going through. The Woolworth building was built taller than the Met Life Building because Met Life had once denied Mr Woolworth a mortgage, and it was then built to be the tallest building in the world not out of need. When John Jacob Rascot built the ESB he famously said to the architect, "how high can you build it before it falls over?". The original WTC didn't have to be the tallest in the world but the Port Authority wanted to make a statement.

Once you start down this road of, in chinas case, municipalities and cities getting into unofficial contests of who's got the biggest building, the biggest airport, the biggest subways, the only thing that derails it is an apocalyptic crash. That isn't meant to bash China in anyway shape or form, look at building in New York pre and post 1929 Wall St crash, obviously there are exceptions but in general the city didn't build really big again until the 1970s and even that was partially subsidized by the government, and the ESB was built by a Wall St tycoon with basically bottomless pockets.

Throw in in the case of China low interest rate loans from Beijing for these types of projects, again skyscrapers, subways, bridges, general infrastructure, and this is the result. Truly gargantuan office complexes in cities no one ever heard of before hand. In a city like Shanghai, Beijing, obviously these types of expenditures can be justidied. But is the demand for a 2000 foot office building really there in a city like Shenzen? I'm not convinced.

If the US government offered below market interest rates for developers we'd probably see a decent surge in building. Another big factor is obviously cost. Building in China is much cheaper, land values, labor, the lot. Obviously there are exceptions in cities like Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai, but in general, it's much cheaper.

And it's not a lack of vision that prevents US developers from building taller, it's a focus on the bottom line, and the fact that the real estate crash of 2008 is still fresh in people's minds. In ten years assuming the economy gets going again, I wouldn't be surprised to see a new tallest building in the US, it's just the current economics make it completely unfeasible. In the US tall buildings are investments by private companies not investments by public municipalities. When building taller becomes profitable, they'll do it. I'd advise you to do some research on who's funding these projects in China, and Dubai, this article from the NYTimes is a good place to start.

Last edited by yankeesfan1000; December 16th, 2011 at 04:37 PM.
yankeesfan1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2011, 06:22 PM   #444
Kanto
Roof height crusader

I know that the Chinese government is doing most of the funding for the bigger projects and I agree that building megatalls in cities nobody knows of is nonsense. However this is China, what about South Korea? They're building one 500 meter + supertall in Busan and another 500 meter + supertall in Seoul. Additionaly Seoul has proposed 2 megatalls. The Chinese model doesn't apply to South Korea but still South Korea can build signifficantly taller buildings than the US. You're right about the current time being uncertain after the 2008 crysis but it isn't uncertain only for the US. The crysis had impact on all countries arround the world and a new crysis caused by Euro's fall would have had as well yet South Korea is still growing skyscraper wise at an incredible rate
Old December 16th, 2011, 06:47 PM   #445
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1155

Two factors.

1. money (yankeefan's post)

2. building tall isn't that what it used to be. The so called race for height is rather pathetic nowadays. (imho) E.g. 1km+ tower in Jeddah.

Also, the towers in the said countries all follow a current trend, and some of them will age badly, and look dull in a short time. Even though some e.g. Shanghai Tower are masterpieces. IF Chicago or NYC should ever need a megatall, and be able to make profit with it. I hope for an amazing design, unlike this one. There is no need for a hurry. I even suggest to wait and learn from other countries building such tall towers, and avoid the mistakes they did.
Old December 16th, 2011, 06:49 PM   #446
zaguric2
Hrvatsko Zagorje

Likes (Received): 137

I think that tower is one of the best in Chicago.
zaguric2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2011, 04:57 PM   #447
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Earth to everyone: This is not an actual proposal.
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2011, 11:12 AM   #448
Blizzy
Perfect Player

Likes (Received): 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyboo View Post
our buildings are far more realistic.
What?
Blizzy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2011, 03:47 PM   #449
LucasOWTC
Lucas OWTC

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzy View Post
What?

The US / Canada buildings look more realistic than the desperate construction of asian buildings.
LucasOWTC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2011, 07:06 PM   #450
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6531

More Realistic? Lol....
ZZ-II está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2011, 09:05 PM   #451
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
More Realistic? Lol....
Yeah lol, he probably meant "more practical", meaning that skyscrapers in the U.S. are built out of demand nowadays.
Old December 20th, 2011, 10:18 PM   #452
Mojeda101
IG: UrbanLosAngeles

Likes (Received): 1283

You guy's have to give China credit, some of their supertalls have absolutely fantastic designs.
Old December 20th, 2011, 10:48 PM   #453
bennyboo

Likes (Received): 71

Thank you HK999 for clarifying what i meant.
bennyboo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2011, 03:19 AM   #454
ChiSkyline

Likes (Received): 133

Does anyone have 3D pictures or an actual visual picture of this project?
ChiSkyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2011, 04:10 AM   #455
LucasOWTC
Lucas OWTC

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSkyline View Post
Does anyone have 3D pictures or an actual visual picture of this project?
I found this on Google:

http://www.archpaper.com/uploads/ima..._office_02.jpg

Otherwise, should not have anything, because it's just a fantasy.
LucasOWTC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2011, 09:27 AM   #456
ChiSkyline

Likes (Received): 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasOWTC View Post
I found this on Google:

http://www.archpaper.com/uploads/ima..._office_02.jpg

Otherwise, should not have anything, because it's just a fantasy.
Thanks. it kind of looks odd. Ain't you think...
ChiSkyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2011, 01:30 PM   #457
Kanto
Roof height crusader

It's beautiful, I'm begging for this to be built
Old December 31st, 2011, 02:09 PM   #458
Jay

I'd love a 2000 footer in Chi town too but what part of "this is not a real proposal" do you not understand.

This is a fantasy project
Old December 31st, 2011, 02:15 PM   #459
Kanto
Roof height crusader

If this is a fantasy then why are there serious articles about it all arround the net and why was the proposal sent for approval? Fantasies don't get such attention
Old December 31st, 2011, 02:29 PM   #460
Jay

ok keep telling yourself that

Tags
chicago, old post office