daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Highrises > Proposed Highrises



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old January 18th, 2012, 08:41 PM   #541
yankeesfan1000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,235
Likes (Received): 560

Here's an article to start on the, this is a fantasy/vision. Quote from the article, the developer "has a pattern of laying the groundwork for development, often with the help of high-priced talent, and then 'flipping' the property..."
yankeesfan1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 18th, 2012, 09:00 PM   #542
Ed007Toronto
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 834
Likes (Received): 71

Yes that is the pattern they display.
__________________
Check out UrbanToronto
http://urbantoronto.ca/
http://skyrisecities.com/


MyMiniCity
http://ed007ville.myminicity.com/ind
Ed007Toronto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 09:09 AM   #543
ChiSkyline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chicago, Il
Posts: 315
Likes (Received): 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan1000 View Post
Here's an article to start on the, this is a fantasy/vision. Quote from the article, the developer "has a pattern of laying the groundwork for development, often with the help of high-priced talent, and then 'flipping' the property..."
That's not really stating its a visionary or fantasy project, only the history with the developer. Although he has a past history on flipping developments doesn't mean he'll be flipping this one. There's a huge chance of this happening, I'll still have some hope.
ChiSkyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 09:15 AM   #544
Jay
Registered User
 
Jay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: California to Barcelona
Posts: 4,054
Likes (Received): 1863

A huge chance?

No offense, but I don't know how to respond to that.
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 03:24 PM   #545
ChiSkyline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chicago, Il
Posts: 315
Likes (Received): 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
A huge chance?

No offense, but I don't know how to respond to that.
My bad, I meant not a huge chance... A complete word error.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigz View Post
Hah, i always thought the USR Tower looked really cool
Same here
ChiSkyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 04:20 PM   #546
Jay
Registered User
 
Jay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: California to Barcelona
Posts: 4,054
Likes (Received): 1863

oh ok, I was gonna say, you would be kidding yourself if you thought there was a huge chance of this happening.

I'm sure someday a tall building will be built on the site but not this.
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2012, 02:54 AM   #547
WTCNewYork
Registered User
 
WTCNewYork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 505
Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
I'm sure someday a tall building will be built on the site but not this.
Maybe not this, but this is (IMO) one of Chicago's best proposals in a while. It'd be nice to see it follow through.
WTCNewYork no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2012, 07:02 AM   #548
ChiSkyline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chicago, Il
Posts: 315
Likes (Received): 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTCNewYork View Post
Maybe not this, but this is (IMO) one of Chicago's best proposals in a while. It'd be nice to see it follow through.
This is one of the best proposals Chicago has ever gotten, aside from the Chicago World Trade Center. This proposal doesn't look all that boxy by in my opinion it's a pretty unique design I really want to see how it would light up at night. I would love to see this happen no doubt about it.
ChiSkyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2012, 12:56 PM   #549
ParadiseLost
Registered User
 
ParadiseLost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Delft, The Hague, Rotterdam
Posts: 219
Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSkyline View Post
This is one of the best proposals Chicago has ever gotten, aside from the Chicago World Trade Center. This proposal doesn't look all that boxy by in my opinion it's a pretty unique design I really want to see how it would light up at night. I would love to see this happen no doubt about it.
Are you guys on crack? It's pretty hilarious how Chicagoans always boast they have the best city architecturally in the States (and they may well be right, it's been the city I've been most infatuated the past two years on these boards.. really need to visit) and yet so many of them here are ready to welcome such absolute simcity-esque garbage for a design. Just so long as it's huge.

The height is good, the location is bad and the design is horrible. But it's clearly placeholder, as this isn't even a serious project anyway.

I hope this doesn't get built, certainly not in it's current state, it would just squash the already minuscule chance of a Chicago spire resurrection (which has a much better location and a MUCH MUCH better design.. though I wouldn't call what this tower has a 'design').

Just my two cents.
ParadiseLost no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2012, 06:41 PM   #550
Bruce.Tenmile
Registered User
 
Bruce.Tenmile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Denver, UK
Posts: 391
Likes (Received): 44

I totally agree. Sim City-esque is exactly the way to describe this design.
Bruce.Tenmile no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2012, 09:15 PM   #551
ChiSkyline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chicago, Il
Posts: 315
Likes (Received): 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadiseLost View Post
Are you guys on crack? It's pretty hilarious how Chicagoans always boast they have the best city architecturally in the States (and they may well be right, it's been the city I've been most infatuated the past two years on these boards.. really need to visit) and yet so many of them here are ready to welcome such absolute simcity-esque garbage for a design. Just so long as it's huge.

The height is good, the location is bad and the design is horrible. But it's clearly placeholder, as this isn't even a serious project anyway.

I hope this doesn't get built, certainly not in it's current state, it would just squash the already minuscule chance of a Chicago spire resurrection (which has a much better location and a MUCH MUCH better design.. though I wouldn't call what this tower has a 'design').

Just my two cents.
Woah! I'm not boasting, bragging, and whatever else your saying.. It's a simple opinion. I love the building, the way it looks, and the placement.. You don't like it... Fine you dont have to like it it's just a form of opinion. I want it to get built, in my eyes it would look great in Chicago.
ChiSkyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2012, 02:12 AM   #552
WTCNewYork
Registered User
 
WTCNewYork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 505
Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSkyline View Post
Woah! I'm not boasting, bragging, and whatever else your saying.. It's a simple opinion. I love the building, the way it looks, and the placement.. You don't like it... Fine you dont have to like it it's just a form of opinion. I want it to get built, in my eyes it would look great in Chicago.
Same here. I like the building for its design, not the height, though the height makes it even better. As for the Chicago spire, I felt it was not very suited to Chicago's style. Just my opinion.
WTCNewYork no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2012, 03:07 AM   #553
ChiSkyline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chicago, Il
Posts: 315
Likes (Received): 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTCNewYork View Post
Same here. I like the building for its design, not the height, though the height makes it even better. As for the Chicago spire, I felt it was not very suited to Chicago's style. Just my opinion.
Exactly! To me the height is just a bonus. The Chicago Spire had a horrible location, it's a unique design but does not fit Chicago in any shape or form.. That's how I see it.
ChiSkyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2012, 06:59 AM   #554
ErnCas
Urban future for me!
 
ErnCas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 40
Likes (Received): 6

Split the building, make it into a set of twin towers.
__________________
Downtown Los Angeles, the next big thing!
ErnCas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2012, 12:41 AM   #555
ChiCity
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 21
Likes (Received): 9

Woah! Another building for Chicago!? Where have I been! Hopefully this gets built, I think they're still considered twin towers even if they weren't split. I like the way it looks currently. But I do think they're going to do some editing on the current design
ChiCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2012, 03:02 AM   #556
tawfiqmp
I love Skyscrapers!
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Chicago/Houston
Posts: 19
Likes (Received): 0

If they don't build this, I'm fine with it. They need to build something near the eastern side (looking from Lake Michigan) of the city where the Hancock building is. The skyline would look even better having Sears on one side and another taller building on the other side.
tawfiqmp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2012, 05:32 AM   #557
ParadiseLost
Registered User
 
ParadiseLost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Delft, The Hague, Rotterdam
Posts: 219
Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSkyline View Post
Woah! I'm not boasting, bragging, and whatever else your saying.. It's a simple opinion. I love the building, the way it looks, and the placement.. You don't like it... Fine you dont have to like it it's just a form of opinion. I want it to get built, in my eyes it would look great in Chicago.
Fair enough, I guess I just have a hard time comprehending how anyone can
"love" that design. I can kind of see people mistaking generic for inoffensive
but actually having strong emotions of love for it?
Then again I clearly hate it, so there must be a flip-side to that coin.
Also like most bad renders it will probably look less bad made of actual glass and steel. But it's all purely academic, IF something gets build there it won't look anything like that render anyway.

Btw I disagree about the out of place bit, I think there's good ways to look 'out of place' and there's bad ways to do it. The Eiffel tower, ESB, Chicago spire and St Louis Arch for example are good ways to do it. The tour Monterparnasse, this thing and the Panam/Metlife building (I personally like the last one but it's quite hated, given the choice I would demolish one Chase Manhattan instead) are bad ways.
And it's not just that the last three happen to look a lot alike, it's a difference in philosophies. I think that if a building is going to stand out in size and make it presence be known it should also stand out in design, not in the subjective sense but in the objective sense of looking unique and distinctive. Trying to blend in for such buildings is an oxymoron.
ParadiseLost no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2012, 06:26 AM   #558
ChiSkyline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chicago, Il
Posts: 315
Likes (Received): 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadiseLost View Post
Fair enough, I guess I just have a hard time comprehending how anyone can
"love" that design. I can kind of see people mistaking generic for inoffensive
but actually having strong emotions of love for it?
Then again I clearly hate it, so there must be a flip-side to that coin.
Also like most bad renders it will probably look less bad made of actual glass and steel. But it's all purely academic, IF something gets build there it won't look anything like that render anyway.

Btw I disagree about the out of place bit, I think there's good ways to look 'out of place' and there's bad ways to do it. The Eiffel tower, ESB, Chicago spire and St Louis Arch for example are good ways to do it. The tour Monterparnasse, this thing and the Panam/Metlife building (I personally like the last one but it's quite hated, given the choice I would demolish one Chase Manhattan instead) are bad ways.
And it's not just that the last three happen to look a lot alike, it's a difference in philosophies. I think that if a building is going to stand out in size and make it presence be known it should also stand out in design, not in the subjective sense but in the objective sense of looking unique and distinctive. Trying to blend in for such buildings is an oxymoron.
What I mean by love is not deep emotions for it but favoritism and beauty. I love the Sears tower for its beauty, I love the ESB for its beauty, I love this one for its beauty height and placement. Im prettu sure its going to be glass and steel. Anyways the Chicago Spire was a beautiful tower but its placement was horrible and didnt fit chicago. that was going to be place in Chicagos skyline & it made itself stand out especially since it was right next to smaller buildings which made it pop out, so it wasn't balancing the skyline, Around there was no other tower except that black one, so that what's also made it stand out. . I mean it would of looked a little better inside downtown. A much smaller building like a 1000 foot building would look better in the Chicago Spires place. & I do think there is going to be a few changes but I don't think to the height.

This is not wow factor



I like this picture because it looks its IN the skyline not OUT.. I would not want it to get built cause it doesn't suite Chicago but I think in the middle would be a better placement.


I hate getting off topic, but it's like your saying that the Spire would look better than this one in the skyline.
ChiSkyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2012, 02:32 PM   #559
Bruce.Tenmile
Registered User
 
Bruce.Tenmile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Denver, UK
Posts: 391
Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadiseLost View Post
I think that if a building is going to stand out in size and make it presence be known it should also stand out in design, not in the subjective sense but in the objective sense of looking unique and distinctive.
I totally agree with you there. I had a bit of a thing on the 432 Park Avenue thread about how I think a building of it's presence should stand out far more in it's design, but there we go.

These towers are certainly more interesting looking than that NYC building, but I still don't like them.
Bruce.Tenmile no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2012, 03:11 PM   #560
Kanto
Roof height crusader
 
Kanto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: S-4, Papoose Lake
Posts: 5,925
Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadiseLost View Post
Fair enough, I guess I just have a hard time comprehending how anyone can
"love" that design. I can kind of see people mistaking generic for inoffensive
but actually having strong emotions of love for it?
Then again I clearly hate it, so there must be a flip-side to that coin.
Also like most bad renders it will probably look less bad made of actual glass and steel. But it's all purely academic, IF something gets build there it won't look anything like that render anyway.

Btw I disagree about the out of place bit, I think there's good ways to look 'out of place' and there's bad ways to do it. The Eiffel tower, ESB, Chicago spire and St Louis Arch for example are good ways to do it. The tour Monterparnasse, this thing and the Panam/Metlife building (I personally like the last one but it's quite hated, given the choice I would demolish one Chase Manhattan instead) are bad ways.
And it's not just that the last three happen to look a lot alike, it's a difference in philosophies. I think that if a building is going to stand out in size and make it presence be known it should also stand out in design, not in the subjective sense but in the objective sense of looking unique and distinctive. Trying to blend in for such buildings is an oxymoron.
There is a flip side to that coin because I absolutely love the building. It's design, it's height and it's placement are perfect in my opinion
__________________
The Outbreak: A free browser online strategy game. Build up your town and compete with other towns economicaly and militarily.
http://www.the-outbreak.com/
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
chicago, old post office

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu