daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Highrises > Proposed Highrises

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 25th, 2012, 08:57 PM   #561
PrinzII

Likes (Received): 0

Personally, I am curious how they intend on supporting that project's weight over LaSalle St. Station (Union is on Canal St.).
PrinzII no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 26th, 2012, 01:21 AM   #562
ParadiseLost

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSkyline View Post
What I mean by love is not deep emotions for it but favoritism and beauty. I love the Sears tower for its beauty, I love the ESB for its beauty, I love this one for its beauty height and placement. Im prettu sure its going to be glass and steel. Anyways the Chicago Spire was a beautiful tower but its placement was horrible and didnt fit chicago. that was going to be place in Chicagos skyline & it made itself stand out especially since it was right next to smaller buildings which made it pop out, so it wasn't balancing the skyline, Around there was no other tower except that black one, so that what's also made it stand out. . I mean it would of looked a little better inside downtown. A much smaller building like a 1000 foot building would look better in the Chicago Spires place. & I do think there is going to be a few changes but I don't think to the height.

This is not wow factor
[IMG]http://www.upscaleswagger.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/chicago-spire-by-santiago-calatrava-01.jpg[IMG]

I like this picture because it looks its IN the skyline not OUT.. I would not want it to get built cause it doesn't suite Chicago but I think in the middle would be a better placement.
[IMG]http://www.designboom.com/cms/images/ridm/san03.jpg[IMG]

I hate getting off topic, but it's like your saying that the Spire would look better than this one in the skyline.
I think it's kind of strange you make such a big deal about unbalancing the skyline. Because both the Sears and especially this tower are extremely unbalancing to the skyline. Certainly the Chicago spire as well but honestly I think less so, first off both of them were at the edge of the Chicago skyline but this one is at a corner edge rather than a straight edge (waterfront in the case of the Chicago Spire). Secondly I think a waterfront location beats a more industrial suburban location hands down IE the Sydney Oprah House. Again a building that is 400m taller than it's surrounding buildings is going to stand out anyway, better to embrace that.

I hope you don't find this discussion tiring or take any of it personally (not that you have implied you did) because I find it a very healthy and interesting
ParadiseLost no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2012, 04:10 PM   #563
ChiSkyline

Likes (Received): 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadiseLost View Post
I think it's kind of strange you make such a big deal about unbalancing the skyline. Because both the Sears and especially this tower are extremely unbalancing to the skyline. Certainly the Chicago spire as well but honestly I think less so, first off both of them were at the edge of the Chicago skyline but this one is at a corner edge rather than a straight edge (waterfront in the case of the Chicago Spire). Secondly I think a waterfront location beats a more industrial suburban location hands down IE the Sydney Oprah House. Again a building that is 400m taller than it's surrounding buildings is going to stand out anyway, better to embrace that.

I hope you don't find this discussion tiring or take any of it personally (not that you have implied you did) because I find it a very healthy and interesting
I find it strange that you get mad that I think this would look fine.. If this was put in the same place as the Chicago Spire than I would also wouldn't want it to be built. Yea if this does et built then it would be the Sears tower and this one but then again on the other side of the skyline there's the Aon and the John Hancock which are the tallest after the Sears and Trump tower. This proposal is place all the way in the back of the skyline in the corner, which would be a noticeable 2000 footer but not as BAMMM! Like the Spire. The Spire didn't fit the skyline and it's boxiness, it stuck out like a huge zit. Your right a waterfront is better but I would rather have it lined up to buildings then it being right on the lake front drawing away of the beauty of Chicagos skyline.

And no, of course not. This is one of the most interesting conversations I have had on any other thread. Lol
ChiSkyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2012, 04:38 PM   #564
CHI-SKY21

Likes (Received): 1

The Spire should be built where the river splits. Why Suntimes always seems to occupy the ugliest buildings in the best spots i have no idea. But I truly believe thats the best spot to build a visionary building. Unfortunately that will never happen. As for the post office. I think that is a pretty good place to build it. The design is not the greatest but it isn't the worst either. I think if they light up the top of those towers well, like Two International Finance Centre in Hong Kong it would look really nice and fit the Chicago/Gothemish feel.
CHI-SKY21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2012, 11:34 AM   #565
Skyapolis
Tall piece of metal

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan1000 View Post
Here's an article to start on the, this is a fantasy/vision. Quote from the article, the developer "has a pattern of laying the groundwork for development, often with the help of high-priced talent, and then 'flipping' the property..."
That's a reference to his history, there's still a chance that this will happen.

He can't really flip the property once he's started, and if you look back through the first pages of the thread that it will be done in 3 stages. Stage 1 has been approved and the construction has begun.
Skyapolis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2012, 02:28 PM   #566
yankeesfan1000

Likes (Received): 560

I'm well aware that this project has been divided into three phases, but if construction has begun then why is this still in the Proposal thread?
yankeesfan1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2012, 02:55 PM   #567
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

wait what?

I'm sorry how did someone possibly spread the rumor that this -FANTASY- project is now under construction.

They haven't even demolished the buildings it would replace, nor approved it..

People are going to be real dissapointed when this tower doesn't get built because your hopes are way too high
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2012, 03:32 PM   #568
ChiSkyline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
wait what?

I'm sorry how did someone possibly spread the rumor that this -FANTASY- project is now under construction.

People are going to be real dissapointed when this tower doesn't get built because your hopes are way too high
Well I agree with you how there should be some sort of proof that Phase 1 has started.

My hopes is at a perfect level. Not to high or to low. I'm not saying this is going to get built all I am saying is that I hope it does get built. I pretty sure most of us people who want it to get built agree on this..
Old January 30th, 2012, 03:35 PM   #569
ChiSkyline

http://www.boothhansen.com/wp-conten...oth-Hansen.pdf

Here are some more blueprints of this project and how the developer see its. I find looking at the blueprints gives me a more understanding.
Old January 30th, 2012, 03:54 PM   #570
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Looks like the position of this project is really nice. As to this being under construction, I agree with you and Jay that we need solid proof of that before accepting that. As to the chances of this being built in my opinion there's about a 50% chance of that
Old January 30th, 2012, 04:15 PM   #571
Skyapolis
Tall piece of metal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
wait what?

Well maybe no buildings have been destroyed because the 1st phase of the construction is changing the interior of the Post office into a mall and carpark.
You should know that if you are actually following this project, and if you're not, then you don't have the right to make judgements that bold and tell people how their hopes are. Take a step down from thinking you're the expert, and let us dream.

Good day

Also, read through the first few pages of the thread and you'll see updates.

Last edited by Skyapolis; January 30th, 2012 at 04:25 PM.
Old January 30th, 2012, 04:29 PM   #572
ChiSkyline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
Looks like the position of this project is really nice. As to this being under construction, I agree with you and Jay that we need solid proof of that before accepting that. As to the chances of this being built in my opinion there's about a 50% chance of that
Yea, its a really nice placement. And I do agree the chances are a 50 50
Old January 30th, 2012, 04:36 PM   #573
Skyapolis
Tall piece of metal

Quote:
Yea, its a really nice placement. And I do agree the chances are a 50 50
Me also, the placing is great! Right at the financial district, and farther back to make its height a little more modest on the skyline.

But there's one thing I don't get. This tower is 610m to roof, and the Trade Center was 420m (approx). That means, this is taller by at least 190 metres. What I don't get is that the Trade Center had 110 floors, and this has 120, only 10 extra floors in 190 extra metres.

Last edited by Skyapolis; January 30th, 2012 at 05:07 PM.
Old January 30th, 2012, 05:07 PM   #574
ChiSkyline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyapolis View Post
Me also, the placing is great! Right at the financial district, and farther back to make its height a little more modest on the skyline.
Yea. I totally agree with you. So many people say it isn't going to happen but I fail to see there proof. Which is why I chose a 50.50 chance. And if you dont mind me asking where did you get your info.. Because I'm very interested. When I read that you made my heart skip a beat
Old January 30th, 2012, 05:53 PM   #575
Skyapolis
Tall piece of metal

Quote:
Yea. I totally agree with you. So many people say it isn't going to happen but I fail to see there proof. Which is why I chose a 50.50 chance. And if you dont mind me asking where did you get your info.. Because I'm very interested. When I read that you made my heart skip a beat
Well basically, I started reading this thread in July, when it was first proposed. Then soon, people started a row frantically posting links to sites which stated that Phase 1 had been approved and construction was to begin in September 2011. I personally believe it has, seeing as it was proposed in June, and over 7 months later it hasn't been denied.
Just go back to the start and take an hour to read the whole thread, I'm sure you'll find them. I was so excited.
Old January 30th, 2012, 06:58 PM   #576
ChiSkyline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyapolis View Post
Well basically, I started reading this thread in July, when it was first proposed. Then soon, people started a row frantically posting links to sites which stated that Phase 1 had been approved and construction was to begin in September 2011. I personally believe it has, seeing as it was proposed in June, and over 7 months later it hasn't been denied.
Just go back to the start and take an hour to read the whole thread, I'm sure you'll find them. I was so excited.
It sounds interesting but one of my recent post I posted a Article that was issued in December saying that the developer was hoping to get the project approved in the next couple of months.. I think you read that he had sent it in or was reading when he'll send it in... But if you are really right, I'm extremely happy!
Old January 30th, 2012, 07:13 PM   #577
ChiSkyline

How wide is this going to be because the Old Post Office is pretty bulky
Old January 31st, 2012, 04:21 AM   #578
Skyapolis
Tall piece of metal

Quote:
How wide is this going to be because the Old Post Office is pretty bulky
Well the Old Post Office Building will be part of the complex's base. The tower will ne located just east of the original building and will be about a half of the base size of the Post Office.
Old February 1st, 2012, 07:52 AM   #579
ChiSkyline

Thats good. Last thing we need is a big bulky supertall standing out the skyline Does anyone know what's the building going to be made out of?
Old February 2nd, 2012, 04:44 PM   #580
Skyapolis
Tall piece of metal

Quote:
Thats good. Last thing we need is a big bulky supertall standing out the skyline Does anyone know what's the building going to be made out of?
Not sure but I'm hoping that the facade will be fully glass rather than metal with windows, like One World Trade Center will be.

Last edited by Skyapolis; February 2nd, 2012 at 04:45 PM. Reason: .

Tags
chicago, old post office