daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Highrises > Proposed Highrises

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 2nd, 2012, 05:39 PM   #581
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

From the render it does look like the facade will be glass but then again, that is a very early render

Sponsored Links
Old February 2nd, 2012, 09:29 PM   #582
ChiSkyline

Likes (Received): 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
From the render it does look like the facade will be glass but then again, that is a very early render
I hope it is.. but then again you are right. Might be a couple of changes.

I'm so impatient! I need the to see if this has gotten approved or not!
Any new news?
ChiSkyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2012, 10:03 PM   #583
Kanto
Roof height crusader

So far no recent news. But I guess the developer pretty much has prepared for the project and now waits for approval so I think there won't be any news before they'll approve it. As to when it'll get approved I dunno but since the proposal was sent for approval in end of July last year it should be any time soon. I'm very impatient too cause this is by far my favourite proposal in the world

Btw, one nice vid I found about it on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13FnuKo9b8Q
Old February 3rd, 2012, 02:11 AM   #584
Hut_17
BANNED

Likes (Received): 36

Nice project, I hope you do as soon as possible
Hut_17 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2012, 05:11 AM   #585
ChiSkyline

Quote:
So far no recent news. But I guess the developer pretty much has prepared for the project and now waits for approval so I think there won't be any news before they'll approve it. As to when it'll get approved I dunno but since the proposal was sent for approval in end of July last year it should be any time soon. I'm very impatient too cause this is by far my favourite proposal in the world

Btw, one nice vid I found about it on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13FnuKo9b8Q
Yea, I knew no news until the proposal got approved or not... Was just hoping for the best But the proposal I think is going to happen hopefully this month! I read an article that was put out December 1st saying that that are waiting 3 - 4 months to see if this gets approved. There interview must of ben late november. So I'm guessing its suppose to happen late Feb.
The video told a lot about the project and what they' re planning with it. Really liked it. And agree the best proposal out there to me.
Old February 3rd, 2012, 02:52 PM   #586
Skyapolis
Tall piece of metal

Likes (Received): 0

Thanks for the vid Kanto. From it, it looks like it will only be constructed when it has funding. I know it has funding for Phase 1, but what about the rest?

However, I am very confident that this will get approved as Bloomberg was talking about it. Very very excited.
Skyapolis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2012, 05:56 AM   #587
ChiSkyline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyapolis View Post
Thanks for the vid Kanto. From it, it looks like it will only be constructed when it has funding. I know it has funding for Phase 1, but what about the rest?

However, I am very confident that this will get approved as Bloomberg was talking about it. Very very excited.

I think there is funding too. Its been a couple of years since the Chicago Spire and it had funding but it meet difficulties with money and lawsuits which put them to the point when they had to suspend it. It had funding at first but lost its money is what I'm assuming. The Chicago Spire was 1.5billion while this is 3.5 billion. Thats a huge difference... By 2 billion but I feel for that much its just offering a lot including Jobs, money, like it said in the video, trying to expand gambling and etc. Although I feel its stol 50/50 I think theres still a great chance... If that makes sense
Old February 4th, 2012, 06:21 AM   #588
Dallas star
Everything Texas

Likes (Received): 371

It looks great but I don't think this will be approved. No need for a 2,000 footer right now.
Dallas star no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2012, 06:41 AM   #589
ChiSkyline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas star
It looks great but I don't think this will be approved. No need for a 2,000 footer right now.
I dont know.. I beg to differ. I think theres a 50 50 chance....
Old February 4th, 2012, 07:34 AM   #590
Skyapolis
Tall piece of metal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas star View Post
I agree with Chi. A 50 50 chance. Don't be too haste to give comments if you haven't read the whole thread or stayed going with the project. Just saying.
Skyapolis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2012, 07:36 AM   #591
Rinchinlhumbe
CANNED

Likes (Received): 201

Chicogo1

Chicogo2
Rinchinlhumbe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2012, 07:53 AM   #592
ChiSkyline

By any chance, would some one be able to create a render using one of these photos.. I really want to see it laid out.

image hosted on flickr

http://wibiti.com/images/hpmain/312/282312.jpg
Sorry one is bigger than the other..

Last edited by sieradzanin1; February 4th, 2012 at 11:39 AM.
Old February 4th, 2012, 08:28 AM   #593
jonny00rage

When will they finally build the spire?
jonny00rage no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2012, 08:51 AM   #594
ChiSkyline

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny00rage View Post
When will they finally build the spire?
..... Where have you been? it's canceled .
Old February 4th, 2012, 08:29 PM   #595
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyapolis View Post
I agree with Chi. A 50 50 chance. Don't be too haste to give comments if you haven't read the whole thread or stayed going with the project. Just saying.
It has nothing to do with approval. Getting tall buildings approved in Chicago isn't an impossible task. However, getting financing for this overly-ambitious project is. Over the last few decades there have been countless tall skyscrapers approved by the city (in better locations too) that were never built due to financial reasons. I expect the same for this project. Don't take this rather shady developer's word that he'll start construction as soon as he receives approval. I'd be shocked and impressed if he even has a viable plan just to renovate the old Post Office.

In short, this project isn't going to happen. Certainly not with this design, scale, or timeline.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2012, 08:34 PM   #596
Kanto
Roof height crusader

So far there is nothing to indicate that this project would not happen, that's why I give it a 50% chance. In my opinion this is a realistic proposal considering that there are over a half dozen of similarily sized buildings under construction or proposed arround the world and I'm not counting oil trophies like Burj Khalifa or the Kingdom Tower which should be excluded for the obvious reason that they are only trophies
Old February 4th, 2012, 09:00 PM   #597
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Quote:
So far there is nothing to indicate that this project would not happen, that's why I give it a 50% chance. In my opinion this is a realistic proposal considering that there are over a half dozen of similarily sized buildings under construction or proposed arround the world and I'm not counting oil trophies like Burj Khalifa or the Kingdom Tower which should be excluded for the obvious reason that they are only trophies
There are plenty of reasons why this won't happen though:

1) US economy. Most of the reasons go back to this and the difficulty in finding financing. Those projects you mention are probably in China/Middle East and not built with conventional financing/budgets.
2) No need for such a proposal.

Residential: the South Loop is generally overbuilt due to dozens of new towers in a short period of time. There is no way the market could bear huge amounts of condos/apartments.

Hotel: unproven demand.

Office: there are already several well-known office developers who are working to sign anchor tenants for their next project. None of these proposed office buildings is taller than 40-60 stories.

Retail: 12 story mall is a complete fantasy. Additionally, there is a new outlet mall near O'Hare airport that will compete for similar tenants.
3) Unknown foreign developer who doesn't have a great track record.
4) Chicago's new remapping means that there will be a different alderman in charge of this area who probably has no familiarity with projects of this size.
5) I doubt preservationists will allow the old Post Office to be obscured on nearly every side by parking garages and towers.

And more but I don't want to spend further time thinking about why a 5 story bridge over the river seems unreasonable, etc.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2012, 09:05 PM   #598
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

^exactly

@Kanto and ChiSkylin... a 50% chance?

Where on earth did you get that number from? No offense.. but how old are you guys? do you understand what building a 3 billion dollar project entails? Plus this developer is shady.

Wait for the US economy to get better, maybe something will be built here, likely not a 2000 foot tower.
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2012, 10:05 PM   #599
Kanto
Roof height crusader

The 50% chance came because I see no evidence that this will be built and no evidence that this will not be built so since 50% is the average percentage number and I don't see any evidence to change it I let it be as it is, 50%

As to spyguy's reasons, here is what I think:

1) I agree with you that the economy isn't that good but then again it apparently isn't that bad as to stop NYC from growth so why should it stop Chicago? In NYC there are 10 proposed supertalls (including 2WTC and 3WTC which will go on hold without a tenant) so why should Chicago have 0 of them?
2) Fair enough, though that might change in the future with the economy getting healthier. I don't think that the developer would propose something only for fun. I trust him that there is a chance that this might become a financial success.
3) You make it sound as if he would be some sort of Bob Lazar but he isn't, just because some of his projects in the past might have failed doesn't mean that this one has to fail as well.
4) Fair enough, though it is open to speculation.
5) Why should it be a problem? There are NIMBYies all arround the states yet it doesn't stop huge projects from rising. NYC has no problem tearing down old buildings just to make space for new supertalls so why should Chicago have a problem with it?

All of the responses above are just my opinion which might be wrong so I'm open to suggestions
Old February 4th, 2012, 10:59 PM   #600
ChiSkyline

I'm old enough... But age has nothing to do with it..
Just because someone is shady doesn't mean that whatever they do is going to be shady too. Who knows he could possibly real serious about this project.. I gave it a 50 50 chance because there's nothing anyone said yet that made me think " Dam this really isn't going to happen!"
I know there's lots of reasons why I think it's going to happen and reasons why it's not. Which is why I gave it 50/50. The US is going through Economic Problems I get it, but did that stop the Freedom Towers funding? Or WTC 2 WTC3?
I agree with most if the reasons spyguy mentioned but not all.. I'm not saying it's going to happen for sure, I'm stating why I thinks its going to happen. If this is not needed then every building in NYC is not needed considering they have twice as much buildings.
-20,000 jobs provided
-they will be making some money off this proposal
-expanding in Chicagos gamble
-new homes for new comers

I could honestly put dozens of reasons. It's just one more residential/office/hotel for Chicago. Im pretty sure nobody said it was going to happen for sure just hoping... That's a huge difference. People saying it's not going to happen, has no proof which of that is why it's better say "I think it's going to happen." Until someone actually hears from the city it's not going to become reality, then that's a different story.. I'm just HOPING for the best. If anything this seems more realistic than the Spire. This also gas much more to offer. 200foot would bring more tourist. Let's face it, a 2000 footer in the USA with in, my opinion, the best skyline in the world is a big tourist attraction. Especially if your saying there's going to be a 12 story mall. Cities typically make money from taxes and fees charged to residents, businesses, and visitors in the city. So by this being built Chicago will be making money in my opinion...

Tags
chicago, old post office