daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Highrises > Proposed Highrises



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old February 8th, 2012, 04:14 PM   #621
ChiSkyline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chicago, Il
Posts: 315
Likes (Received): 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyapolis View Post
It sounds like good news to me too. As building this new complex will include fixing bad things like mentioned.

Plus, if it was so unlikely to be built, why would it keep getting mentioned in articles?
I thought it sounded like good news just for the simple fact it stated this

Quote:
On Monday, Durbin, Amtrak officials and local transit executives will threaten legal action to force Bill Davies, the British developer who bought the former post office building in 2009, to follow through on promises to fix the problem.
They were forcing him to go through on his plans to clean up/ fix up the Chicago Old Post Office.. Thats basically one of the reasons why I thought it meant something good
ChiSkyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 8th, 2012, 04:23 PM   #622
patrykus
Registered User
 
patrykus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Poland
Posts: 3,778
Likes (Received): 1794

All this article is about is malfunctioning ventilation systems which davies agreed to fix, and which he still didn't. Hardly a good sign for the the tower.

Don't get me wrong I'd love to see such ambitious project in US, but why can't you people just wait till some real information will came out? This is 31 page of this thread and all we get is still just some vague statement with vague model from shady unsuccessful developer for a city that don't even have a single tower over 300m U/C at the moment (I'd like to know if it actually has anything over 200m). Wait at least for an approval then we can talk. I really feel sorry for people who'll visit this thread searching for information
__________________
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2012, 05:04 PM   #623
ChiSkyline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chicago, Il
Posts: 315
Likes (Received): 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus
All this article is about is malfunctioning ventilation systems which davies agreed to fix, and which he still didn't. Hardly a good sign for the the tower.

Don't get me wrong I'd love to see such ambitious project in US, but why can't you people just wait till some real information will came out? This is 31 page of this thread and all we get is still just some vague statement with vague model from shady unsuccessful developer for a city that don't even have a single tower over 300m U/C at the moment (I'd like to know if it actually has anything over 200m). Wait at least for an approval then we can talk. I really feel sorry for people who'll visit this thread searching for information
Well thank you for clearing the air on that. But considering I said I thought it was good. Not I know its good. We've all been waiting for some type of good news and this seemed to be it. Even though its been said thousands of times hes shady but doesn't mean he is [BOLD] NOT [/BOLD] taking this one seriously.. Thats like saying a lier will never tell the truth but we dont know that. And why would people come here for information when its hard to find out if its true or not. Id rather find a trusted source than SSC.

Last edited by ChiSkyline; February 8th, 2012 at 07:31 PM.
ChiSkyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2012, 05:28 PM   #624
Kanto
Roof height crusader
 
Kanto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: S-4, Papoose Lake
Posts: 5,925
Likes (Received): 3546

ChiSkyline is right just because the developer failed in a project before doesn't mean he must fail now too. Some people here make a kind of Bob Lazar out of him
__________________
The Outbreak: A free browser online strategy game. Build up your town and compete with other towns economicaly and militarily.
http://www.the-outbreak.com/
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2012, 05:36 PM   #625
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body
 
nomarandlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: 1060 W. Addison, City by the Lake
Posts: 7,209
Likes (Received): 2761

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSkyline View Post
If you dont mind me asking about the article you posted, can you or anybody tell me whats happening or whats in meaning?
Because to me it sounds like good news
Really I don't think it means much other then perhaps if the EPA or Amtrak badger him enough perhaps it will force his hand to do something other then sit on his hands which Davies is known for doing.
__________________
Stephane Charbonnier, “I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.”
nomarandlee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2012, 06:07 PM   #626
spyguy
Expert
 
spyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 6,916
Likes (Received): 97

How is this good news? I mean, it might not necessarily be bad news in that the project is dead. But it's certainly not good news.

All of the owners above the tracks are required to maintain the ventilation system below. The fans below the post office are not working properly resulting in significant air pollution for commuters. Apparently Amtrak filed a lawsuit against the developer on Friday for failure to act. The developer claims they've been working to resolve the issue.

I can't say for sure who's right but fixing the fans does not mean the rest of the post office will be fixed or renovated. The owner is obligated to make the repairs no matter what happens with his proposal.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2012, 06:11 PM   #627
patrykus
Registered User
 
patrykus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Poland
Posts: 3,778
Likes (Received): 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSkyline View Post
Well thank you for clearing the air on that. But considering I said I thought it was good. Not I know its good. We've all been waiting for some type of good news and this seemed to be it. Even though its been said thousands of times hes shady but doesn't mean he is taking this one seriously.. Thats like saying a lier will never tell the truth but we dont know that. And why would people come here for information when its hard to find out if its true or not. Id rather find a trusted source than SSC.
The bottom line is that there is no reason to make mess of this thread if there is no news about it. I see this thread bumped almost every day and I can be 99% sure there is no point to visit it unless I'm intereted in pointless discussion about nothing which is the only thing I can expect here.
__________________
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2012, 06:20 PM   #628
Jay
Registered User
 
Jay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: California to Barcelona
Posts: 4,054
Likes (Received): 1863

agreed, this is quite far from being a real proposal with any probability of getting built. The only reason this thread keeps getting bumped is that certain individuals are so excited about seeing a megatall in the US that they ignore the barrage of facts that show this is hardly a real or likely proposal yet, if ever.

We all want this to happen, but this is not much more than a fantasy proposal at this point. There's optimism and then there's being realistic.
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2012, 06:24 PM   #629
ChiSkyline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chicago, Il
Posts: 315
Likes (Received): 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
The bottom line is that there is no reason to make mess of this thread if there is no news about it. I see this thread bumped almost every day and I can be 99% sure there is no point to visit it unless I'm intereted in pointless discussion about nothing which is the only thing I can expect here.
If you want new about go find an article or source that will tell you everything you need to know. SSC is all about discussions. This forum did have some pointless discussions, but not all were pointless. If you expect there to be accurate news, your sort of wrong unless some one was smart enough to find a article about it and post it up. Most of these "pointless discussions" have been nothing but about Chicago, the Old Post Office, and the project itself. I would understand if you dont want to visit cause where talking about the WTC 24/7 but where not. Most people come to give there opinion, to give news, or to find out if there's any update. Im sorry but I dont get your point at all..

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
How is this good news? I mean, it might not necessarily be bad news in that the project is dead. But it's certainly not good news.

All of the owners above the tracks are required to maintain the ventilation system below. The fans below the post office are not working properly resulting in significant air pollution for commuters. Apparently Amtrak filed a lawsuit against the developer on Friday for failure to act. The developer claims they've been working to resolve the issue.

I can't say for sure who's right but fixing the fans does not mean the rest of the post office will be fixed or renovated. The owner is obligated to make the repairs no matter what happens with his proposal.
True. I thought it was good because it said something about him getting off his a** and start doing stuff with the OPO, considering most people here are looking for good news and/or updates. But if thats the, case your right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
Really I don't think it means much other then perhaps if the EPA or Amtrak badger him enough perhaps it will force his hand to do something other then sit on his hands which Davies is known for doing.
I see.
ChiSkyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2012, 06:31 PM   #630
patrykus
Registered User
 
patrykus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Poland
Posts: 3,778
Likes (Received): 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
agreed, this is quite far from being a real proposal with any probability of getting built. The only reason this thread keeps getting bumped is that certain individuals are so excited about seeing a megatall in the US that they ignore the barrage of facts that show this is hardly a real or likely proposal yet, if ever.

We all want this to happen, but this is not much more than a fantasy proposal at this point. There's optimism and then there's being realistic.

No you don't get it. It has some chances as any other project in the world. The point I was trying to make is that the discussion here is pointless unless something is really happening. That is addressed to both over excited fans of it and who can't leave this thread for more than a day and naysayers who can't resist coming here everyday just to convince everybody how unrealistic it is. Just live it as it is and wait for some concrete information.
__________________
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2012, 06:31 PM   #631
ChiSkyline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chicago, Il
Posts: 315
Likes (Received): 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
agreed, this is quite far from being a real proposal with any probability of getting built. The only reason this thread keeps getting bumped is that certain individuals are so excited about seeing a megatall in the US that they ignore the barrage of facts that show this is hardly a real or likely proposal yet, if ever.

We all want this to happen, but this is not much more than a fantasy proposal at this point. There's optimism and then there's being realistic.
I mean.. Who doesnt want to see a mega tall in the USA. Its still going for the simple fact, there hasnt been logic proof that this isnt or is going to happen.. I mean I see were people like you (meaning who think the same about this) are coming from. But with all honestly, give me quotes articles, whatever! Showing me that this isnt going to happen then I'll officially stop posting here. Just giving someones past and telling why YOU think its not going to happen is no proof. But thinking. I am not saying this is going to happen as I said billions of times, I would just like to see..
ChiSkyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2012, 06:34 PM   #632
Kanto
Roof height crusader
 
Kanto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: S-4, Papoose Lake
Posts: 5,925
Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
agreed, this is quite far from being a real proposal with any probability of getting built. The only reason this thread keeps getting bumped is that certain individuals are so excited about seeing a megatall in the US that they ignore the barrage of facts that show this is hardly a real or likely proposal yet, if ever.

We all want this to happen, but this is not much more than a fantasy proposal at this point. There's optimism and then there's being realistic.
Of course people want such an awesome project to become reality but then again I bet you would like it to become reality just as much as other people would. I think calling it a fantasy is unrealisticaly pesimistic
__________________
The Outbreak: A free browser online strategy game. Build up your town and compete with other towns economicaly and militarily.
http://www.the-outbreak.com/
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2012, 06:36 PM   #633
ChiSkyline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chicago, Il
Posts: 315
Likes (Received): 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
No you don't get it. It has some chances as any other project in the world. The point I was trying to make is that the discussion here is pointless unless something is really happening. That is addressed to both over excited fans of it and who can't leave this thread for more than a day and naysayers who can't resist coming here everyday just to convince everybody how unrealistic it is. Just live it as it is and wait for some concrete information.
Please tell me... How is this pointless?
Theres still people in the Burj Khalifa thread talking about it and thats finished with. So is every post or discussion in that thread pointless. Like I said before if you were really hungry for concrete information, then you would do your best to find it and not look at SSC. As I said before:
I CHISKYLINE NEVER SAID THIS WAS GOING TO HAPPEN, BUT WOULD LIKE TO SEE IT HAPPEN
I dont need to convince know one to show how "real" this is.. Cause thats not what I am saying.. Yes.. & I am here 24/7 this isthe city i was born in and love!
ChiSkyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2012, 06:44 PM   #634
LucasOWTC
Lucas OWTC
 
LucasOWTC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Natal
Posts: 45
Likes (Received): 2

This topic is a TOTAL waste of time. There's no news, there is no consistency in doing something, there is no demand. There is NOTHING.

How about stop posting here? While there is some real news about this project, we turn to discuss.
LucasOWTC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2012, 06:46 PM   #635
patrykus
Registered User
 
patrykus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Poland
Posts: 3,778
Likes (Received): 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSkyline View Post
Please tell me... How is this pointless?
Theres still people in the Burj Khalifa thread talking about it and thats finished with. So is every post or discussion in that thread pointless. Like I said before if you were really hungry for concrete information, then you would do your best to find it and not look at SSC. As I said before:
I CHISKYLINE NEVER SAID THIS WAS GOING TO HAPPEN, BUT WOULD LIKE TO SEE IT HAPPEN
I dont need to convince know one to show how "real" this is.. Cause thats not what I am saying.. Yes.. & I am here 24/7 this isthe city i was born in and love!
It is pointless since it has already been discussed over 30 pages of this thread. Isn't it enough? I visit this thread and see the same crap over and over. It has chances, it hasn't, it has... How long we will have to stand this. Well not me thats for sure. If this thread stays bold every day bumped just by unending discussion of its odds of happening I'll stop visiting it cause its waste of time.
__________________
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2012, 07:28 PM   #636
ChiSkyline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chicago, Il
Posts: 315
Likes (Received): 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus

It is pointless since it has already been discussed over 30 pages of this thread. Isn't it enough? I visit this thread and see the same crap over and over. It has chances, it hasn't, it has... How long we will have to stand this. Well not me thats for sure. If this thread stays bold every day bumped just by unending discussion of its odds of happening I'll stop visiting it cause its waste of time.
its completely pointless. Id suggest you dont visit it. If you think its never going to happen then what's the whole point of coming by. You've been complaining that where repeating the same stuff. How exacly? Theres no proof defend either side of the fence so most people people are just discussing it. You have to wait to find out if its happening or not. But it hasn't happened.
ChiSkyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2012, 07:38 PM   #637
patrykus
Registered User
 
patrykus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Poland
Posts: 3,778
Likes (Received): 1794

Oh well, at least I tried... Carry on buddy. I'm sure Kanto and Jay will be happy to help you spoil this thread even more...
__________________
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2012, 07:43 PM   #638
ChiSkyline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chicago, Il
Posts: 315
Likes (Received): 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus
Oh well, at least I tried... Carry on buddy. I'm sure Kanto and Jay will be happy to help you spoil this thread even more...

Last edited by ChiSkyline; February 8th, 2012 at 10:56 PM.
ChiSkyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2012, 10:39 PM   #639
Jay
Registered User
 
Jay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: California to Barcelona
Posts: 4,054
Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
It has some chances as any other project in the world.
No not at all

Last edited by Jay; February 9th, 2012 at 12:29 AM.
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2012, 07:11 AM   #640
ChiSkyline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chicago, Il
Posts: 315
Likes (Received): 133

Quote:
I'll bet the new owners of the Old Chicago Main Post Office are regretting their decision to buy it. The recent news of horrible air pollution hurting Amtrak commuters in Union Station is falling on International Property Developers (IPD), the British company that bought the old post office in 2009. Amtrak is suing IPD for not taking care of the broken ventilation fans that are supposed to protect the air quality of the station below.

I love the old post office, and I've always been*fascinated*with the giant building that no one seems to know what to do with. Read below for more facts on this week's 'Did You Know, Chicago?' topic:

The nine story high post office was built from 1922 to 1933, and it was once the largest post office in the world.*It was designed by Graham, Anderson, Probst & White, the largest architectural firm under one roof during the first half of the 20th century. The firm was originally founded by famed Chicago architect Daniel Burnham's sons and business partner, who designed such iconic buildings as the Wrigley Building, the Merchandise Mart, the Shedd Aquarium and the Field Museum.

The post office was constructed before the Eisenhower was there, but it was originally designed to accommodate a roadway under it.

The post office was vacated in the early 1990s when the new post office across Harrison Street opened.*It costs the government around $2 million to maintain the building, but they're stuck doing it because in 2001 it was listed under the National Register of Historic Places

Recently, as many of us know, the post office was used for filming the Batman Begins and The Dark Knight movies.*During filming the post office caught fire, and the cause was initially blamed on the movie crew. However, it was later determined that the fire was caused by the insulation in the ancient ventilation system.

IPD bought the old post office in 2009 for $24.8 million and announced this past summer that it plans to spend $3.5 billion to transform it into an "urban mecca." *will create 16 million square feet of entertainment, retail, office, residential and hotel space. IPD wants to extend this vision into three other sites around the post office, but right now the company only has financing for the first phase of the project.

Found this recent article... I personally think it's good and bad...
http://www.chicagonow.com/chicago-qu...d-post-office/

Last edited by ChiSkyline; February 14th, 2012 at 08:14 AM.
ChiSkyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
chicago, old post office

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu