daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Highrises > Proposed Highrises

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 18th, 2012, 08:44 AM   #641
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

Again, nothing to do with the proposal per se' though still interesting.....

Quote:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,4964273.story

Fire erupts on roof of old Post Office

Staff report

8:46 p.m. CST, February 17, 2012

A fire erupted tonight on the roof and a portion of the 10th floor of the old U.S. Post Officein the West Loop Gate neighborhood.

The fire started on the roof of the building, 433 W. Van Buren St., according to the Chicago Fire Department.

Fire Media Affairs Director Larry Langford said they also have fire on the 10th floor of the building, considered a high-rise.

No injuries have been reported as of 7:05 p.m. and crews continued to fight the blazes, Langford said.

About 6:30 p.m., a still and box alarm and an EMS Plan I, which automatically sends five ambulances to the scene, were called for the blaze, according to Langford.

As of about 7:30 p.m. firefighters hoisted by a large crane could be seen using portable lights to look into windows on the upper floors of the east side of the building.

The alarm was struck out and EMS Plan secured a little before 8 p.m., while cleanup and overhaul continued.

Police News Affairs Officer Veejay Zala said police also have not received any reports of injuries.

The 300 to 600 blocks of South Canal Street, the 300 to 600 blocks of West Van Buren Street, and the 200 to 500 blocks of West Harrison Street were closed while the fire was fought, according to a Central District police sergeant.

Sponsored Links
Old February 21st, 2012, 04:11 AM   #642
Tommy Boy
MEGATALLS for AMERICA

Likes (Received): 112

This buildings must be built just impressive I really hope that this will come true and not just a vision
Tommy Boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2012, 04:30 AM   #643
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Boy View Post
This buildings must be built just impressive I really hope that this will come true and not just a vision
for now it's absolutely a vision, people need to stop bumping this thread.
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2012, 01:00 AM   #644
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8240

apparently someone proposed another 600m tower in the far suburbs of chicago it's nonsense with no evidence, nor developers, so its good for a laugh:

lol, the ctbuh database aparently isn't what it used to be
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2012, 04:58 AM   #645
Jay

this whole thread is nonsense.
Old February 23rd, 2012, 05:38 AM   #646
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1032

Chicago is in withdrawal for 2000 footers.
Old February 23rd, 2012, 01:24 PM   #647
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uaarkson View Post
Chicago is in withdrawal for 2000 footers.

So true. Since the cancelation of the Chicago Spire, the city of Chicago never really turned back to normal. All these new 2,000 feet proposals seem to be a kind of substitution...
Old February 25th, 2012, 10:31 PM   #648
WTCNewYork

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
this whole thread is nonsense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HK999 View Post

So true. Since the cancelation of the Chicago Spire, the city of Chicago never really turned back to normal. All these new 2,000 feet proposals seem to be a kind of substitution...
I dont know about everyone else, but I quite like this development. Why is everyone acting like there is a 0% chance of this happening? There may not be too good a chance of it happening, but there is certainly SOME chance. Even if a 1% chance. I mean its a real proposal.
WTCNewYork no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2012, 02:26 AM   #649
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

I remember when I first came to SSC. and I said Chicago spire wasn't all that nice, and I wasn't a fan, ppl tried to rip my head off lol. I also said it was going to die, and it had already started when I said that lol. And I'll say If they start these building, they will die too.
Old February 26th, 2012, 02:30 AM   #650
LucasOWTC
Lucas OWTC

Likes (Received): 2

As I've said before, a 2000 feet building not be built in U.S., architectural greed disappeared in the American mind. They only look to other countries in Asia and the Middle East.

Who knows, maybe in 30 or 40 years, when Americans return to be greedy and economically strong, we will see tall buildings and modern enough to compete with the Chinese, Arabs and South Koreans.
LucasOWTC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2012, 12:02 PM   #651
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Lol I understand that this thing has really low chances to get build and that generally now is not the time for construction boom in Chicago, but what really impress me is the fact that so many Americans are so closed minded that they hate not even everything outside us but even everything outside their city, and they seem really glad about a failure of the city in their own country
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2012, 12:55 PM   #652
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsc View Post
I remember when I first came to SSC. and I said Chicago spire wasn't all that nice, and I wasn't a fan, ppl tried to rip my head off lol. I also said it was going to die, and it had already started when I said that lol. And I'll say If they start these building, they will die too.
There is absolutely no factor hinting for failiure of this project. I think you should wait for what the future will bring and not play Muad'Dib
Old February 26th, 2012, 02:07 PM   #653
MetaCRNL

Likes (Received): 165

If this happens then it will be a reason for me to move to Chicago when I'm older rather than New York , London , Seattle or Toronto
MetaCRNL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2012, 04:36 PM   #654
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
There is absolutely no factor hinting for failiure of this project. I think you should wait for what the future will bring and not play Muad'Dib
You're the last person, who should be telling me, what to say on SSC.
Old February 26th, 2012, 08:14 PM   #655
WTCNewYork

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
Lol I understand that this thing has really low chances to get build and that generally now is not the time for construction boom in Chicago, but what really impress me is the fact that so many Americans are so closed minded that they hate not even everything outside us but even everything outside their city, and they seem really glad about a failure of the city in their own country
My point exactly. Just because you get a few 2000 foot proposals and then they get cancelled does not mean any future 2000 footers are impossible. People should really be more open minded before just saying "I don't think that will ever work so I'm going to act like it's impossible."
WTCNewYork no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2012, 10:59 PM   #656
Jay

Quote:
Not really, I live in US and am happy for any project anywhere... this one is just not realistic, of course I want it to be built.

Quote:
As I've said before, a 2000 feet building not be built in U.S., architectural greed disappeared in the American mind. They only look to other countries in Asia and the Middle East.

Who knows, maybe in 30 or 40 years, when Americans return to be greedy and economically strong, we will see tall buildings and modern enough to compete with the Chinese, Arabs and South Koreans.
The US is about to see 1776 feet, not too far off from 2000
Old February 27th, 2012, 08:25 PM   #657
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3205

Quote:
This is a really, really small sample of people on these boards on which you're basing this assumption. In other words, don't make a sweeping generalization based on a few people.
Old February 28th, 2012, 08:00 AM   #658
Arawooho

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post

The US is about to see 1776 feet, not too far off from 2000
Yeah, after a 440ft spire...
Arawooho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2012, 09:21 AM   #659
bulabog jalaur

Likes (Received): 296

Hope soon usa will have new sears tower braking record building. its been a

long time.
Old February 28th, 2012, 02:29 PM   #660
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

I hope so cause it is rather disappointing that the Willis Tower is still the tallest in the US after 38 years and that this proposal is the only future US building (that is if it gets built, which is far from being certain) that could surpass it

Tags
chicago, old post office