daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Highrises > Proposed Highrises

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 28th, 2012, 02:36 PM   #661
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
I hope so cause it is rather disappointing that the Willis Tower is still the tallest in the US after 38 years and that this proposal is the only future US building (that is if it gets built, which is far from being certain) that could surpass it
well 1WTC is underway. i know its roof height isn't as tall as willis tower, but it's close. so usa is getting there.
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 28th, 2012, 05:46 PM   #662
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57960

The height race doesn't really catch developed nation's attention anymore, anyway.

So why bother?

Greatly planned cities worth living and high quality buildings are far more important.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2012, 05:50 PM   #663
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
well 1WTC is underway. i know its roof height isn't as tall as willis tower, but it's close. so usa is getting there.
Well, I'm not at all impressed by 1WTC's height since it's essentialy only rebuilding x1 what they used to have x2. Also, even average Chinese cities have buildings that are taller than 1WTC. For me 1WTC's height is the minimum for it to still be acceptable, which in fact is still a relative good outcome considering Larry's WTC towers are no where near being tall enough to be an acceptable replacement of the Twins. In fact I will confess that recently I started hoping that Larry won't get tenants for 2WTC and 3WTC any time soon so that there is still chance for a redesign/height increase in those buildings

And I agree with erbse that high quality and good planning are far more important than height, however, height still is very important in my opinion
Old February 28th, 2012, 06:25 PM   #664
Hendycfc

Likes (Received): 422

Quote:
Well, I'm not at all impressed by 1WTC's height since it's essentialy only rebuilding x1 what they used to have x2. Also, even average Chinese cities have buildings that are taller than 1WTC. For me 1WTC's height is the minimum for it to still be acceptable, which in fact is still a relative good outcome considering Larry's WTC towers are no where near being tall enough to be an acceptable replacement of the Twins. In fact I will confess that recently I started hoping that Larry won't get tenants for 2WTC and 3WTC any time soon so that there is still chance for a redesign/height increase in those buildings

And I agree with erbse that high quality and good planning are far more important than height, however, height still is very important in my opinion
Average Chinese cities? By the time this is finished it will be the third tallest in the world. Zero of the buildings ahead are Chinese. Within a year only the the Shanghai tower will be ahead and Shanghai is hardly an average Chinese cities considering it will be one of the most important cities in years to come.

EDIT: Don't mention roof height. The WTC will be fourth tallest in 2014 even if you don't count spires.
Hendycfc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2012, 07:14 PM   #665
Kanto
Roof height crusader

If you wanna count spires and if we don't count proposals then still China has two more of these under construction, which are Pin'gan in Shenzen and Goldin in Tianjin (btw, Shanghai may be an important international city but as far as I know Shenzen and Tianjin are not). Also, Seoul has the Lotte World Tower and then of course there are Burj Khalifa in Dubai and Abby in Mecca so in a few years 1WTC will be 7th in official height. Counting proposals which many are already in prep phase only increases the number of buildings that will beat 1WTC in every cathegory
Old February 28th, 2012, 07:38 PM   #666
Arawooho

Likes (Received): 68

This is making me almost want to move to Dubai or South Korea now.
Arawooho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2012, 07:39 PM   #667
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8240

tianjin is the biggest city in its region (bohai) after beijing and by far the biggest port there and shenzhen is the gateway to hong kong and in the pearl river delta which is the most booming region in china. and in size the cities are both comparable with new york.

the other average cities that do have buildings with roof height that are taller are only guangzhou (the factory of the world) and hong kong and i don't have to say much about that i think

So yeah New York is still playing in the highest league with skyscrapers
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2012, 01:58 AM   #668
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arawooho View Post
Yeah, after a 440ft spire...
Yea cuz no other building around the world use spires to gain height.
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2012, 02:01 AM   #669
Arawooho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Yea cuz no other building around the world use spires to gain height.
Of course, but for a country like the US to need a 450ft spire, (which is taller than most spires) just to be able to get even remotely close to the magical 2,000 ft mark is just pathetic in my view.

Last edited by Arawooho; February 29th, 2012 at 02:13 AM.
Old February 29th, 2012, 02:05 AM   #670
Kanto
Roof height crusader

And I 1000% agree with your view 1WTC is a masterpiece of engineering and design but its height is a pathetic joke
Old February 29th, 2012, 02:10 AM   #671
Jay

I don't know if "pathetic joke" are the right words for a twin tower sized building.

It would dwarf any building on any continent outside of Asia.
Old February 29th, 2012, 02:36 AM   #672
Kanto
Roof height crusader

And in Asia it becomes a dwarf It seriously should have been a lot taller. 1776 feet should have been the roof height and 2001 feet the tip of its spire.
Old February 29th, 2012, 02:54 AM   #673
Jay

Quote:
And in Asia it becomes a dwarf It seriously should have been a lot taller. 1776 feet should have been the roof height and 2001 feet the tip of its spire.

Right because Jin Mao, Guangzhou IFC, 2IFC, KingKey tower, Taipei 101, Petronas towers and even SWFC and ICC HK are all just soooo tiny, please spare me.

These are buildings that would compete with 1WTC heightwise. (as well as sears tower and 432 park ave.)
Old February 29th, 2012, 03:13 AM   #674
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Let please not add anymore fuel to the fire. We all the know Kanto will slam 1WTC, in any thread giving the chance.
Old February 29th, 2012, 03:25 AM   #675
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Slam it? I said that it is an architectural and engineering masterpiece. If that is slamming then apparently not slamming it is impossible

I love 1WTC, as I stated so many times before, the only thing I don't like about it is its height, which in my opinion is way to short for a tower of its legacy.
Old February 29th, 2012, 04:04 AM   #676
Arawooho

I completely agree, I can almost shed a tear at how beautiful 1WTC is, but the height is just not there. It would have been awesome to have the roof height 1776 and the Spire height 2001, it would make so much sense.
Old February 29th, 2012, 04:37 AM   #677
WTCNewYork

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
If it was built to those heights, it wouldn't fit in with lower Manhattan at all. Height isn't everything, you want it to be pleasing to the eye as well. New York would look horrible if every building was a poorly designed 2,000 footer.
WTCNewYork no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2012, 04:54 AM   #678
azn_man12345

Likes (Received): 114

Dammit Kanto. What the hell does any of this have to do with the Old Post Office Redevelopment?
azn_man12345 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2012, 06:35 AM   #679
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

nothing at all
Old February 29th, 2012, 07:24 AM   #680
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

What a bore, wow.

Last edited by aquablue; February 29th, 2012 at 08:18 AM.
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
chicago, old post office