daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Highrises > Proposed Highrises

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 13th, 2012, 10:20 PM   #741
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22569

Quote:
Originally Posted by liltaz88 View Post
What happened to Fordham spire tower
things were looking good, prep work was done but then it fell through
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 14th, 2012, 10:12 AM   #742
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6530

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11
things were looking good, prep work was done but then it fell through
Not only prep...even pilling was completed
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2012, 05:26 PM   #743
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 240

What will they do with that Spire site?
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2012, 06:36 PM   #744
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6530

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyAboutCities
Nothing is decided yet as far as i know. A Supertall would be perfect there .
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2012, 07:22 PM   #745
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

I'd rather they wait until they can build a megatall with that site. Megatalls are what is needed in the US
Old September 14th, 2012, 07:42 PM   #746
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53453

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyAboutCities View Post
It's in the hands of the Ireland National Asset Management agency. They are slowly returning foreclosed properties to market and will do so with the Spire site. Also, in some cases, they are restarting projects as they become viable. But for now, the courts have yet to fully dispose the matter:

ZRFLaw.com

Quote:
Wednesday, May 2nd, 2012

McArdle Quoted in WSJ Article on Chicago Spire Forceclosure

David W. McArdle was quoted in the May 1, 2012, issue of the Wall Street Journal in an article about the Chicago Spire property on the Chicago lakefront. The title of the story is “Chicago’s Spire Remains Hole in the Ground.” The subtitle reads: “Four Years After Construction on the Tower Stopped, Development Is Stalled in Foreclosure Proceedings; Ties to Ireland.”

McArdle, a named partner in Zukowski, Rogers, Flood & McArdle, practices law in a variety of disciplines, including construction law. The article mentions that the Chicago Spire foreclosure proceeding that began about two years ago involves contractors such as Lorig Construction, which seeks to be repaid about $512,000.

The article quotes on McArdle about the improvements to the land. ” ‘It’s a hole in the ground,’ said David McArdle, an attorney for Lorig, which built exit and entrance ramps to the property. ‘It’s not moving forward.’ ”

The article notes that Illinois law does not automatically give mortgage holders first priority over lien-holders such as Lorig Construction if they establish they have improved the property’s value. To view the story by reporter Maura Webber Sadovi, please follow the link to the Wall Street Journal article (subscription required).

Zukowski, Rogers, Flood & McArdle, the largest law firm in McHenry County, Illinois, is widely recognized as a leader in construction law. McArdle is the author of Construction Law Road Map — 2011 (4th Edition). For more details about David McArdle’s professional credentials, please view his biography.

---
---------------------------------------

The Old Post Office developer is in a lengthy approval process that was expected to take a few years. The market for offices and condos in Chicago is not helping speed these plans.

Last edited by desertpunk; September 14th, 2012 at 07:47 PM.
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2012, 12:36 PM   #747
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8241

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
I'd rather they wait until they can build a megatall with that site. Megatalls are what is needed in the US
yes but not in that plot. chicago has a very balanced skyline, a supertall in the chicago spire plot will stick out like a sore needle, exactly like the chicago spire did. they should instead build a boxy building in the middle of the city, exactly what the old post office provides.
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2012, 10:50 PM   #748
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Likes (Received): 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerZavatar View Post
yes but not in that plot. chicago has a very balanced skyline, a supertall in the chicago spire plot will stick out like a sore needle, exactly like the chicago spire did. they should instead build a boxy building in the middle of the city, exactly what the old post office provides.
I have always thought a USR type tower along the river opposite from Trump would be the perfect spot. But, the design should me more of a standard curve from the bottom rather then the strange design from I robot, like a combination of the USR tower and the HK IFC

Similar to this

image hosted on flickr

iloveclassicrock7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2012, 03:42 AM   #749
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

I always thought that buildings was hideous, as well as the Stark Tower. Filmmakers have bad taste in architecture.
ThatOneGuy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2012, 03:44 AM   #750
1Filipe1
BANNED

Likes (Received): 319

im positive one day one of these 2000 foot proposals for chicago will actually rise..
1Filipe1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2012, 08:34 PM   #751
mysteek_1976

Likes (Received): 0

it would be nice if the faa would get rid of that pesky 2000ft height limit. so in like 100 years from now all cities across america will look like a great plateau of 2000 ft buildings? come on now........
mysteek_1976 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2012, 12:03 AM   #752
tawfiqmp
I love Skyscrapers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Filipe1 View Post
im positive one day one of these 2000 foot proposals for chicago will actually rise..
I hope so. That would be crazy.
tawfiqmp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2012, 04:10 AM   #753
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

I know, we were sooo close with the ChiSpire
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2012, 06:38 AM   #754
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Safety concerns at old post office addressed, but development remains stalled

Quote:
September 02, 2012|Melissa Harris' Chicago Confidential

Bill Davies, the eccentric Monaco-based owner of Chicago's old post office, wants to turn the hulking mass that straddles Congress Parkway into a mecca of shopping, office space, residences, etc.

But the building sits rotting and untouched because, among several reasons, Davies wants to mount a parking garage over the parkway, and city officials are refusing to allow it, according to two sources close to the project. "He went back to wanting to put the parking over Congress," said a source who attended a June meeting between city staff and Davies at City Hall. City officials confirmed that was the last time the two parties met. "The city is not happy with that. They don't like that. So that's kind of where it ended. ... The city was expecting something, and he switched ideas in the meeting." In the meeting? "Well, it appeared that way," the source said. "Which he's wont to do."

According to several sources, Davies' yo-yoing on multiple issues has become a frustration. However, after a multi-month lull in activity following the June meeting, Davies is back to work on a modified proposal, presumably one without a new structure arching over the parkway, according to sources.

Department of Housing and Economic Development commissioner Andrew Mooney declined an interview for this story, but deputy commissioner Peter Strazzabosco said: "What we've seen to date is a proposal with a lot of moving pieces. There's no plan that we're looking at right now. We anticipate more detailed information to be provided about specific uses, site layout, heights and densities, and other zoning criteria."

Davies, who bought the building in 2009, declined to comment. "The post office in order to be successful needs a lot of parking," said the project's architect, Laurence Booth of Booth Hansen. "He wanted more cars. So (a garage over the parkway) would have given him more cars."

Despite the delays, there has been some action connected to the project. Davies' team has been hit with complaints from government agencies in the wake of multiple fires at the property.

In addition to straddling the parkway, the building sits over tracks heading south out of Union Station. Earlier this year, the Tribune reported that ventilation fans in the building — designed to pull diesel exhaust up and away from the train yard — were malfunctioning. According to the Chicago Fire Department, that caused creosote, a highly flammable substance, to build up in the ventilation ducts and spark at least three fires.

In February, Amtrak sued Davies' company, International Property Developers, in federal court over the lack of maintenance on the fans and falling debris. And then in May, the city piled on with its own civil suit in the housing section of Cook County Circuit Court. Both cases remain open. The federal case is scheduled for a status hearing Tuesday.

[Bill Davies claimed in February that only 3 of 11 turbines were non-functioning and that they were sent out for repairs]

Fire Department spokesman Larry Langford said in an email last week that as of an Aug. 25 test, the fans were now turned on full time to eliminate the creosote buildup. Also corrected was the building's "standpipe system," which functions like a fire hydrant inside large buildings.
Old October 5th, 2012, 08:02 AM   #755
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

So something will get built here soon enough maybe?
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2012, 08:05 AM   #756
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
So something will get built here soon enough maybe?
Davies says he has the financing for the first phase which is the renovation of the post office building. Future phases are still in flux as the approval process grinds on.
Old October 11th, 2012, 04:46 AM   #757
Nowhereman1280

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
The Old Post Office developer is in a lengthy approval process that was expected to take a few years. The market for offices and condos in Chicago is not helping speed these plans.
No this has nothing to do with the approval process and everything to do with the feasibility of building an assload of SF of retail and office where there is no demand for it. If they wanted to get this approved it would be by now...

The problem is Davies is disconnected from reality and has no idea what he is doing. If he was actually serious he'd have sorted this out in short order rather than going into city meetings and rambling...
Nowhereman1280 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2012, 08:44 PM   #758
elliot42

Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
No this has nothing to do with the approval process and everything to do with the feasibility of building an assload of SF of retail and office where there is no demand for it. If they wanted to get this approved it would be by now...

The problem is Davies is disconnected from reality and has no idea what he is doing. If he was actually serious he'd have sorted this out in short order rather than going into city meetings and rambling...
-- I don't know anything about the developer, but I do know a great deal about the commercial real estate market, and I can tell you that while the Chicago market is improving, it is nowhere near a point where something this big can be done; if it were the Chicago Spire would be under construction already.

BTW: I check various commercial real estate publications online every week; NOT ONCE has this project been mentioned, and if it were a go I guarantee you they would've said something about it.
elliot42 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2012, 02:11 AM   #759
Tim98
Fanatic

Likes (Received): 16

I still hope this tower is being build
Tim98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2012, 02:09 PM   #760
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

I hope that too. The stallness of it makes me mad