daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Highrises > Proposed Highrises

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 2nd, 2013, 10:40 PM   #821
Dale

Likes (Received): 5505

Anything more on the tantalizing rumor of a supertall going up at the Spire site ?
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 2nd, 2013, 11:13 PM   #822
CrazyDave

Likes (Received): 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
Its true, but if you play that game, one could say that Chicago probably didn't need the Sears, Trump, etc.. Why did it even need a skyscraper at all? Given it is not geographically constrained it could have just built dense midrise bildings everywhere like Sao Paolo.

It is sad that all these megatall proposals failed in Chicago, a place that used to push the limits in skyscraper building.
I agree with you totally, the US needs at least (1) 600 Meter Tower. We have fallen far in the WTB ranks.
CrazyDave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2013, 11:43 PM   #823
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Likes (Received): 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.F.2. View Post
I think the boom 4-5 years ago has kept it in the top 5. In my opinion Sears will be surpassed soon as well.
Agreed. I would actually put it at 3rd place. Shanghai is definitely very impressive, but its focal point is the Pudong part, which is honestly pretty small, in comparison to Chicago's massive skyline. Let me explain though. Shanghai's skyline is technically pudong and all its surrounding areas, because they are all covered in buildings. But, I can't help but view Pudongs surroundings the way I view Jersey city to New York. Chicago has one massive skyline, without any separation, which is in total about 8 miles. Because of that, its history, and the fact that it might be the most aesthetically beautiful skyline on the planet, I feel like Chicago still clearly has the 3rd place. One city I am watching to break into the top 5 is Shenzhen.

This is what a full skyline shot of Chicago looks like, and its absolutely magnificent

edit - Just realized Trump and several others are missing in this photo...

Here is one with trump

Maxou2Nantes liked this post

Last edited by iloveclassicrock7; February 2nd, 2013 at 11:52 PM.
iloveclassicrock7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2013, 12:24 AM   #824
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5307

Throughout the past year, my favorite has gone to four different skylines: New York, Chicago, Hong Kong, and Shanghai. Shanghai was my favorite for about a week, Hong Kong for 10 days or so, and Chicago for about three weeks. Those three are always duking it out for second, third, and fourth, but New York has to be my favorite. Although it has been slightly jumped at times, I just keep coming back. Hopefully I'll be able to visit Chicago for the first time this summer.

iloveclassicrock7 liked this post
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2013, 07:38 AM   #825
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveclassicrock7 View Post
Agreed. I would actually put it at 3rd place. Shanghai is definitely very impressive, but its focal point is the Pudong part, which is honestly pretty small, in comparison to Chicago's massive skyline. Let me explain though. Shanghai's skyline is technically pudong and all its surrounding areas, because they are all covered in buildings. But, I can't help but view Pudongs surroundings the way I view Jersey city to New York. Chicago has one massive skyline, without any separation, which is in total about 8 miles. Because of that, its history, and the fact that it might be the most aesthetically beautiful skyline on the planet, I feel like Chicago still clearly has the 3rd place. One city I am watching to break into the top 5 is Shenzhen.

This is what a full skyline shot of Chicago looks like, and its absolutely magnificent

Here is one with trump

What about Dubai? Doesn't it have the most supertalls in the world right now?
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2013, 03:59 PM   #826
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

It's density is pathetic. Right across the street from a supertall you might see a vacant plot that looks like a beach. From afar it looks really nice, but up close and personal, not so much. At least that's my opinion...
Old February 3rd, 2013, 05:12 PM   #827
aquablue
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.F.2. View Post
It's density is pathetic. Right across the street from a supertall you might see a vacant plot that looks like a beach. From afar it looks really nice, but up close and personal, not so much. At least that's my opinion...
It has 20 supertalls. The Marina skyline is very dense. Anyway, NYC density is not required to make a stellar skyline when you have that many tall towers, including a building twice as high as WTC1.
Old February 3rd, 2013, 05:31 PM   #828
Maxou2Nantes

Likes (Received): 317

Quote:

Here is one with trump

Wonderfull skyline
Maxou2Nantes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2013, 07:48 PM   #829
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Quote:
It has 20 supertalls. The Marina skyline is very dense. Anyway, NYC density is not required to make a stellar skyline when you have that many tall towers, including a building twice as high as WTC1.
I see what you're saying. Certain pockets of the city are extremely dense, but these pockets are dispersed, which dilutes the skyline for me. I prefer really dense CBDs, so Dubai doesn't much appeal to me. I think that's the main problem with Dubai, as well as several ugly supertalls.
Old February 3rd, 2013, 09:36 PM   #830
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22516

Dubai's towers may be tall but they aren't the kind I would stare at all day. The Marina is filled with ugly residential supertalls. They're mostly the same without their crowns.

L.A.F.2. liked this post
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2013, 12:26 AM   #831
aquablue
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
Dubai's towers may be tall but they aren't the kind I would stare at all day. The Marina is filled with ugly residential supertalls. They're mostly the same without their crowns.
I agree about the marina . I prefer the area around SZR and the burj for quality buildings.
Old February 4th, 2013, 12:35 AM   #832
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

This has a design fitting to the height. It would be amazing if built.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2013, 06:12 AM   #833
RoofHeightMatters

Likes (Received): 73

Quote:
Anyway, NYC density is not required to make a stellar skyline
Yes it is.
RoofHeightMatters no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2013, 07:18 AM   #834
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoofHeightMatters View Post
Yes it is.
NYC density isn't required, but Dubai is a desert, it has hardly any density. All it has is supertalls. While it's great that it has 20 supertalls, they forgot that you need low rises, mid rises, and well... a lot of buildings that aren't 400m

Dubai went for a get rich quick scheme, or in this case, they attempted to create a great skyline quickly, and they are hopefully learning that it doesn't work like that. You can't just build a ridiculously tall tower, and say you have a great skyline.

Of course I am sure the planning was more complicated then this, but it definitely comes off this way.

L.A.F.2. liked this post
iloveclassicrock7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2013, 11:08 PM   #835
aquablue
BANNED

Quote:
NYC density isn't required, but Dubai is a desert, it has hardly any density. All it has is supertalls. While it's great that it has 20 supertalls, they forgot that you need low rises, mid rises, and well... a lot of buildings that aren't 400m

Dubai went for a get rich quick scheme, or in this case, they attempted to create a great skyline quickly, and they are hopefully learning that it doesn't work like that. You can't just build a ridiculously tall tower, and say you have a great skyline.

Of course I am sure the planning was more complicated then this, but it definitely comes off this way.
It doesn't just have supertalls. If you have been to Dubai like I have, you will know that there are loads of towers in the 100 m to 300 m range.

It may be spread out, but the effect of those extremely tall clusters surrounded by low rise development is still fantastic. It's like a Houston or L.A on steroids, with more interesting buildings.

Again, I don't think hyper desnity is needed. Look at Frankfurt, the buildings viewed from certain angles make a great skyline even though it is not a very dense city.
Old February 4th, 2013, 11:15 PM   #836
Dale

Likes (Received): 5505

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoofHeightMatters View Post
Yes it is.
Then you're destined to be mostly unhappy.
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2013, 07:36 AM   #837
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Just a quick edit
Old February 18th, 2013, 02:27 PM   #838
roogenial
In da gym

Likes (Received): 2291

Any news about these towers?
roogenial no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2013, 11:13 PM   #839
UTEPman

Likes (Received): 32

I'm not sure where all the hate for Dubai's towers or skyline comes from. I think part of it is envy. I know i'm envious of it.

Some people call their towers "gawdy". At least they are putting unique towers up though. I get really tired of the thousands of interpretations of a box that we build here. I could only dream that we had a skyline like these people are putting up.
UTEPman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2013, 05:53 AM   #840
Spocket

Likes (Received): 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTEPman View Post
I'm not sure where all the hate for Dubai's towers or skyline comes from. I think part of it is envy. I know i'm envious of it.

Some people call their towers "gawdy". At least they are putting unique towers up though. I get really tired of the thousands of interpretations of a box that we build here. I could only dream that we had a skyline like these people are putting up.
Absolutely agree.
The envy is much more apparent than a lot of the haters think.
I watch the Toronto skyscraper construction forums pretty closely and just about all I ever see are boxes. People get really excited about these boxes just because they're tall , not because they're particularly interesting to look at.

I happen to agree that a lot of what Dubai builds is gaudy but at least it's not all the same in massing and facade. To be fair , very little of it is particularly avant garde either but at least it's not just a bunch of boxes. To be sure , there are boxes but still plenty of variety overall.
Spocket no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
chicago, old post office