daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Highrises > Proposed Highrises

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 31st, 2013, 03:53 AM   #1041
Archaean
BANNED

Likes (Received): 311

The vitality of Chicago will prevent it from ever going the way of Detroit, and will likely prevent it from losing the number 3 spot in terms of influence any time soon. The economy of Chicago is much more diverse than Detroit (and Houston for that matter), and many well educated and talented people from not just Illinois but across the country are drawn to live in the downtown and north side of Chicago, meaning the city will likely never descend to Detroits level and will not likely be overtaken by any other city in the country in terms of influence any time soon.
Archaean no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 31st, 2013, 03:56 AM   #1042
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53453

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFDalton View Post
Chicago was a close rival to New York City in supertall buildings during the 70s - 90s. For a brief period after the Twin Towers were destroyed, it could be argued that Chicago had a better skyline. Now WTC1 is almost complete and New York city has more supertalls under construction than Chicago has completed. And there is nothing in the pipeline - and I'm including this insane Post Office project that won't be built - in Chicago for this decade that will come even close to 1000 feet. Miami's skyline consists primarily of condo towers. It doesn't have the number of brawny office towers that Chicago has. So I don't really think it compares. Yet...

Houston has a growing population that is already over 2 million people. Chicago is at 2.7 million and falling. They're eventually going to meet somewhere in the middle. Then, Houston will be #3.

Chicago could turn around of course. It's got a diversified economy unlike Detroit. But it does have just as serious a problem with unfunded liabilities. And unlike Detroit, the city has already sold just about everything it can of value (with the exception of Midway) to keep afloat. The state of Illinois is in even worse shape (2nd only to California) and can't bail out the city. Both are city and state are afflicted with one party Democrat rule and everyone involved is playing a game of "I want mine and don't care if everything else has to burn to get it." Frankly, it doesn't look good. And it's getting worse very quickly. Moody's just downgraded Chicago's bond rating an unprecidented 3 grades this month. The Ballerina isn't doing much to help.
This isn't a forum for political discussions nor is it a place for City vs. City discussions. Stick to the topic.

-Corey- liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2013, 06:19 AM   #1043
DFDalton
Banished from SSP

Likes (Received): 127

When discussing a proposed major construction project, I believe it's on topic to discuss the likelihood that it will ever be built. This includes discussing the current state of the city in which it might be built.

Or are you suggesting I should be banned from such discussion, as I was from that "other" skyscraper forum for the noting during the spring and summer of 2008 that there was a credit crunch and looming real estate collapse that would render completion of the Chicago Spire impossible? The Chicago homers moderating that competing skyscraper forum considered as "wild speculation" my claim that work at the site had crawled to a stop, with only enough of a skeleton crew moving piles of dirt from one spot to another to keep hope alive in the sales office. When the site was being cleared and leveled - to me an obvious sign that the site was going to be mothballed - the pollyannas were claiming that it was being prepped for the plaza level concrete pour!

But OK. I'll get back on topic. Gee wiz, three new supertalls for Chicago! They look great! Now that it's "approved", I hope they start work tomorrow! (How do I attach the dancing bananas?)

æthær liked this post
DFDalton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2013, 06:44 AM   #1044
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19048

Quote:
But OK. I'll get back on topic. Gee wiz, three new supertalls for Chicago! They look great! Now that it's "approved", I hope they start work tomorrow! (How do I attach the dancing bananas?)
Sorry, I didn't realize you were talking about supertalls only with respect to Houston nipping at your heels, which has two. According to the CTBUH, Chicago actually has 6 supertalls. Miami has had three approved. I'm not really comparing Miami to Chicago. There is no comparison really. You spoke with regard to Houston nippling at your heels when Miami really has more momentum than Houston at the moment and actually has more tall buildings with the number of tall buildings over all. I don't know where this attitude comes from though about condos. To me, a tall building is a tall building. In 40 years, I've never felt it necessary to give more weight to an office tower than a very tall high-rise condo. In fact, I find them to be rather futuristic. If you just happen to like office towers better, than that's you, among others.
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2013, 08:45 AM   #1045
ChiSkyline

Likes (Received): 133

Quote:
You do understand getting a proposal "approved" by the city is a totally inconsequential non-event in terms of getting anything actually "built, don't you? For any serious investors, financing such a risky project in a city teetering on the edge of bankruptcy is laughable.
I actually do understand. To see this approved after EVERYONE thought it was dead, when in fact it wasn't, means something.. It means we are one step closer. As Kanto said, an approval is needed to make something happen. IM not saying this thing is a for sure thing. It CAN NOT happen. But I sure am standing with it
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
Don't destroy the wet dreams of our fellow Chicago forumers. They need something to hold on. Seing all those new supertalls and skyscrapers popping up all over the place except for Chicago sure hurts ...
Lmao it sure does!

Kanto liked this post
ChiSkyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2013, 08:54 AM   #1046
DFDalton
Banished from SSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumX View Post
Sorry, I didn't realize you were talking about supertalls only with respect to Houston nipping at your heels, which has two. According to the CTBUH, Chicago actually has 6 supertalls. Miami has had three approved. I'm not really comparing Miami to Chicago. There is no comparison really. You spoke with regard to Houston nippling at your heels when Miami really has more momentum than Houston at the moment and actually has more tall buildings with the number of tall buildings over all. I don't know where this attitude comes from though about condos. To me, a tall building is a tall building. In 40 years, I've never felt it necessary to give more weight to an office tower than a very tall high-rise condo. In fact, I find them to be rather futuristic. If you just happen to like office towers better, than that's you, among others.
Actually I was looking at Chicago and New York City as close rivals regarding supertalls up until 2007. That battle is now clearly a lost cause for Chicago. I count only 4 true supertalls in Chicago. Two Pru's spire doesn't even take it to 1000ft and AT&T gets there just barely only with the help of 4 thin masts.

Houston I see as the next rival to Chicago in terms of population. As Houston continues to grow, so should its skyline.

As far as valuing office buildings vs. condo towers is concerned, I have to give the edge to new office space as a sign of a city's economic progress. Miami especially is loaded with condos for retirees, non-resident investors, and international buyers who bought them as vacation homes.

Last edited by DFDalton; July 31st, 2013 at 09:00 AM.
Old July 31st, 2013, 08:57 AM   #1047
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Quote:
When discussing a proposed major construction project, I believe it's on topic to discuss the likelihood that it will ever be built. This includes discussing the current state of the city in which it might be built.

Or are you suggesting I should be banned from such discussion, as I was from that "other" skyscraper forum for the noting during the spring and summer of 2008 that there was a credit crunch and looming real estate collapse that would render completion of the Chicago Spire impossible? The Chicago homers moderating that competing skyscraper forum considered as "wild speculation" my claim that work at the site had crawled to a stop, with only enough of a skeleton crew moving piles of dirt from one spot to another to keep hope alive in the sales office. When the site was being cleared and leveled - to me an obvious sign that the site was going to be mothballed - the pollyannas were claiming that it was being prepped for the plaza level concrete pour!

I don't think discussions about city or state finances is on topic here. The office market in Chicago can be healthy enough for large towers regardless of the city's fiscal position. 2008 was totally different since all private lending was affected. Not so If the City of Chicago encounters difficulty (something that may not happen for many years anyway) or if the State of Illinois comes up short on pension obligations. I just don't see how any of that would materially affect new private developments tied to the [global] markets. And since you mentioned it, the Spire site has been purchased by the Related Cos. which will likely build something massive there, up to and including the original proposal.

Kanto, iloveclassicrock7 liked this post
Old July 31st, 2013, 09:42 AM   #1048
ABQ_X-PAT
A passion for Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 115

We get it

Quote:
The state of Illinois is in even worse shape (2nd only to California) and can't bail out the city.
DFDalton: We get it. You don't care for Chicago. That's fine. I really do not see these types of building being built in Chicago at this time until the economy improves more. The city and states finances really do not have anything to do with this in a privately financed tower project. Also, you are embarrassingly incorrect when you state that California's finances are the worst. The state's budget is back in surplus and the unemployment rate is dropping fast --- even the real estate market is roaring back. In 2012 California created MORE jobs than Texas (and our gov did not have to poach for them). I do not know why that really bothers people so much who do not live here. There is however still work to do to get back to the good ole days but we are not going bankrupt here despite the five small cities that have filed (all run by conservatives). We even have two supertalls under construction in Los Angeles and San Francisco. Not bad for a state that is so bad *according to you*. I would not count Chicago out. It's economy, culture and diversity is unlike many other areas of the country. [MODS: sorry about the political tone but the record really needed to be corrected]

-Corey-, LosAngelesSportsFan liked this post
ABQ_X-PAT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2013, 09:51 AM   #1049
DFDalton
Banished from SSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
I don't think discussions about city or state finances is on topic here. The office market in Chicago can be healthy enough for large towers regardless of the city's fiscal position. 2008 was totally different since all private lending was affected. Not so If the City of Chicago encounters difficulty (something that may not happen for many years anyway) or if the State of Illinois comes up short on pension obligations. I just don't see how any of that would materially affect new private developments tied to the [global] markets. And since you mentioned it, the Spire site has been purchased by the Related Cos. which will likely build something massive there, up to and including the original proposal.
The city and state are in a very precarious situation and I don't think it's particularly helpful to keep burying our heads in the sand and assuming that this is just some "normal" short term recession. There needs to be quick action on this pension mess particularly. I've lived in the Chicago suburbs all my life and have never been so pessimistic about the future of this state. Frankly, if I could sell my house I'd be out of here tomorrow.

Hate to keep coming back to Houston, but with a population that has grown to 2,160,000 as of 2012, the #1 ranked city for job growth and #1 city for new college grads, and a GMP of $385 billion in a well-run state that's considered friendly to business, Chicago needs to up its game and not assume people will continue to stay here taking it up the rear end just for the deep dish pizza and Wrigley Field.

Chicago is a great city in decline, and it's painful to watch the slow motion train wreck taking place. Hobbled by corrupt and disfunctional government and entrenched special interests willing to drive off the fiscal cliff at full speed while shouting the city's unofficial motto, "Ubi es mea", I just don't see the future as anything but bleak.

BTW: Now we are starting to get off track and I realize this entire page will probably be deleted once the moderators read it. Just had to call it like I see it. This project is a pipe dream.

æthær liked this post

Last edited by DFDalton; July 31st, 2013 at 09:56 AM.
Old July 31st, 2013, 10:14 AM   #1050
ChiSkyline

Edit
Old July 31st, 2013, 10:14 AM   #1051
ChiSkyline

..edit..
Old July 31st, 2013, 10:30 AM   #1052
3521usa

Likes (Received): 36

DFDalton, you're just as bad as the people with rose colored glasses. They see the glass half full and you see it half empty. Anyway, arguing with people like you is like arguing with a retard because if someone doesn't think things are as bad as you think they are you claim they think things are great. Yes, there are lots of boosters and fan boys on here and they stand out like sore thumbs to those of us rational folks. However, there are also a bunch of know nothing pretenders on this site also and they too stand out like sore thumbs.

People are not skeptical about the Post Office Development because of its location or the financial standing of the city of Chicago, well, maybe you do. They are skeptical because of Bill Davis' track record. The guy has yet to deliver on a project and he has a reputation for going around announcing highly ambitious projects only to sit on his hands and do nothing. This project is very doable in phases by the right person and at the right time. I for one hope only the 1st phase gets built since I think the rest of the project makes no sense and I don't care much for where the other buildings would be situated.

As for construction in Chicago, there's a lot of construction and lots of proposals going on in the city but most people on here thinks if there's no supertalls being built then nothing's really going on. Lot's of older office buildings are being converted to apartments and hotels. There's also lots of ground up apartment construction and proposals. The East Loop is seeing lots of residential development while office development moves west and north of the loop. While Chicago isn't really building a lot of 600 plus footers at the moment, a lot is happening on the ground. A lot of empty lots are being filled up. The skyline is starting to go west which in my opinion is better than going up because the city already has one of the highest skylines in the world. Chicago will get its supertalls so I'm not worried about that. Streeterville has less than 10 buildable surface lots left which mean towers will be getting taller. After the completion of the 2 schools in LSE there will only be 6 buildable lots in left in that corner of the city. Plus related just bought the Spire site and I've heard they are planning something considerably tall there.

I for one think Chicago will soon see taller buildings being proposed once the condo market fully recovers. Actually, some areas can probably support new construction but developers will probably look to convert some of the new apartment towers first. As of right now, there are close to no new condos available north of the river and the general downtown area is starting to see a shortage in supply of new condos. Even the South Loop which was hit the hardest has seen a dramatic recovery. Related bought about 500 newly built condos from the last boom in the South Loop a few months ago and they have already sold close to half of them. So while Chicago hasn't recover quite like NYC or Houston which wasn't really even affected by the recession, the city is indeed recovering and I'm optimistic about the future.

Btw, who cares if NYC has more supertalls or the tallest building? It's ok if NYC, being the largest city on the continent and being 3 times larger than Chicago, has more supertalls or the country's tallest building. NYC can build 30 supertalls in a single day for all I care. As long as Chicago continues to gets its fair share and the skyline continues to spread outward then I'm happy. Also, you calling Rahm tiny dancer only shows how childish and ignorant you are. Dumbs comments about who gets more supertalls and name calling only makes people not want to take you seriously.

CHI-SKY21, spectre000 liked this post

Last edited by 3521usa; July 31st, 2013 at 10:46 AM.
3521usa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2013, 11:38 AM   #1053
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSkyline View Post
I actually do understand. To see this approved after EVERYONE thought it was dead, when in fact it wasn't, means something.. It means we are one step closer. As Kanto said, an approval is needed to make something happen. IM not saying this thing is a for sure thing. It CAN NOT happen. But I sure am standing with it
Bill even started construction on some of his projects, and never completed them.

read this:

Quote:
  • In 1972, he paid 3 miilion to buy Liverpool's Aintree Racecourse, best known for the annual Grand National Steeplechase, with a promise of building one of the Europe's largest shopping malls. It never happened, and Davies sold out in 1982.
  • In 1986, Davies acquired the site of Liverpool's old Post Office. Work on a planned 100 million shopping mall started in 1999, and then stopped. Davies eventually sold off the site for 17 million to the Duke of Westminster.
  • Also in the 1980's, Davies bought the Exchange Flags site for another grand plan and, much to the dismay of Liverpool Officials, and let it remain vacant for nearly 20 years, even after receiving 4.5 million in government subsidies. Davies sold the site off in pieces in 2006 and 2007.
  • In 1996, Davies paid 25,000 for the right to turn Liverpool's Chavasse Park into a 480,000,000 shopping center with a million-square-feet of leisure space in a single, wave-shaped building. After British Secretary of State called the proposal significantly harmful to Liverpool's city center, Davies sold back his option for 2 million in 2008.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2013, 03:59 PM   #1054
t94

Likes (Received): 844

Chicago is not losing population anymore.

Chicago also continues to thrive as an Alpha+ city while Houston is still sitting back as a Beta+ city. There's continual development in the loop and the outer suburbs are always expanding. The only portion of the city that you could say is in trouble is probably any of the ghetto areas, which is true for any city.
t94 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2013, 04:17 PM   #1055
Bligh

Likes (Received): 796

From a neutral perspective whenever i think of future development of best skylines of the USA, i always think NYC and Chicago. Then after that maybe LA, Seattle, Dallas, Atlanta. Either way its irrelevant.

This is great news for Chicago!
~

L O N D O N
~

instagram//photography: @leaf.it.out.luke
Bligh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2013, 04:49 PM   #1056
G.A.M.E.R
My First SSC Anniversary!

Likes (Received): 68

very very great redevelopment any news about construction schedule?
1007m Kingdom Tower, JEDDAH
1001m Burj Mubarak al-Kabir, MADINAT AL-HAREER
838m Sky City, CHANGSHA
638m Signature Tower, JAKARTA

Kanto liked this post

Last edited by G.A.M.E.R; July 31st, 2013 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Wrong words
G.A.M.E.R no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2013, 06:53 PM   #1057
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

BTW, I'm glad this Post Office Redevelopment is turning out to be more real than a lot of people had originally thought. I like the first proposal better, but I'm happy to see that things are moving forward in this regard.

Quote:
Actually I was looking at Chicago and New York City as close rivals regarding supertalls up until 2007. That battle is now clearly a lost cause for Chicago. I count only 4 true supertalls in Chicago. Two Pru's spire doesn't even take it to 1000ft and AT&T gets there just barely only with the help of 4 thin masts.
I think most people see Chicago as having only 4 true supertalls, but statistically, AT&T and Two Prudential do count. A supertall is any building over 300 meters. That's 985 feet.

Quote:
Houston I see as the next rival to Chicago in terms of population. As Houston continues to grow, so should its skyline.
Miami is a very small city that has a huge skyline for its size. That is because our metro area extends from beyond West Palm Beach to almost down to the keys and it is continuing to grow. You may see Houston as the next rival to the Chicago skyline, but the momentum at the moment is with Miami, more than any other city outside of New York and Chicago.

What I think most prohibits Miami from becoming a rival to Chicago is height restrictions imposed by the FAA because of the proximity of downtown Miami to MIA. We can only go to 1,010 feet in the CBD and the financial district.

Quote:
As far as valuing office buildings vs. condo towers is concerned, I have to give the edge to new office space as a sign of a city's economic progress. Miami especially is loaded with condos for retirees, non-resident investors, and international buyers who bought them as vacation homes.
I understand, but condos also generate a lot of revenue for a region in terms of fees and property taxes. Besides that, the more people with money and power we can attract to the area, the more that might be willing to invest in the economic growth and future of the area.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...st_skyscrapers

image hosted on flickr

DSC_0242 by QuantumX, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC_0220 by QuantumX, on Flickr
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

Kanto, -Corey- liked this post
Old August 1st, 2013, 09:31 AM   #1058
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
Bill even started construction on some of his projects, and never completed them.

read this:
Yeah, people are aware of his track record. the difference here is that the city wants the Old Post Office returned to the tax rolls as a fully redeveloped property and having won approvals for additional towers, Davies can always sell the site to another developer who can build it all. The story doesn't end just because one guy is a proven douchebag.

Kanto liked this post
Old August 1st, 2013, 09:59 AM   #1059
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Of course he can sell. He probably will (he always do). There are two problems with that though. First is that the site may sit abandoned for years or decades before he sells it and the next guy start working on it. Second is that Bill's successor may not be willing to build a megatall there at all since the tower must be profitable. And building huge tower like that is rather risky investment.

I have nothing against Chicago really. I love the idea of surpassing the willis with megatall. It's just that the only guy "willing" to build such tower there is some old brit fraud.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2013, 08:03 PM   #1060
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

I've always seen New York and Chicago as the two American cities that have seen continued development. I don't see Chicago going the way of Detroit. Things might be a bit stagnant now, but I just don't see developers losing interest in Chicago after all these years. All of a sudden, the city is just going to stop? I don't think so! It's much too vibrant and interesting a city for one.

I like the way the skyline flows together, better than New York, and there is something about the way the skyscraper architecture comes together. It's just a more aesthetically appealing skyine overall to me. They're building tons more skyscrapers in Asia, specifically China, but I think the look of Chicago is hard to beat. It's classic! Other cities around the world (Shanghai, Dubai) are only trying be like New York and Chicago and come off looking gaudy and overdone to me while they're only trying to outdo what New York and Chicago have already done! Chicago will prevail in the end!

My photo threads:

Tags
chicago, old post office