daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Highrises > Proposed Highrises

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 1st, 2013, 09:09 PM   #1061
garddemmet

Likes (Received): 0

^ complex much?
garddemmet no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 1st, 2013, 10:26 PM   #1062
Archaean
BANNED

Likes (Received): 311

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
Of course he can sell. He probably will (he always do). There are two problems with that though. First is that the site may sit abandoned for years or decades before he sells it and the next guy start working on it. Second is that Bill's successor may not be willing to build a megatall there at all since the tower must be profitable. And building huge tower like that is rather risky investment.

I have nothing against Chicago really. I love the idea of surpassing the willis with megatall. It's just that the only guy "willing" to build such tower there is some old brit fraud.
This site has already been abandoned for years, so not much will be lost if its abandoned again. Almost any sort of development, let alone a megatall skyscraper, would be better than whats already at this site.
Archaean no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2013, 11:28 PM   #1063
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19048

Quote:
Originally Posted by garddemmet View Post
^ complex much?
What do you mean?
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2013, 12:10 AM   #1064
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Likes (Received): 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3521usa View Post
DFDalton, you're just as bad as the people with rose colored glasses. They see the glass half full and you see it half empty. Anyway, arguing with people like you is like arguing with a retard because if someone doesn't think things are as bad as you think they are you claim they think things are great. Yes, there are lots of boosters and fan boys on here and they stand out like sore thumbs to those of us rational folks. However, there are also a bunch of know nothing pretenders on this site also and they too stand out like sore thumbs.

People are not skeptical about the Post Office Development because of its location or the financial standing of the city of Chicago, well, maybe you do. They are skeptical because of Bill Davis' track record. The guy has yet to deliver on a project and he has a reputation for going around announcing highly ambitious projects only to sit on his hands and do nothing. This project is very doable in phases by the right person and at the right time. I for one hope only the 1st phase gets built since I think the rest of the project makes no sense and I don't care much for where the other buildings would be situated.

As for construction in Chicago, there's a lot of construction and lots of proposals going on in the city but most people on here thinks if there's no supertalls being built then nothing's really going on. Lot's of older office buildings are being converted to apartments and hotels. There's also lots of ground up apartment construction and proposals. The East Loop is seeing lots of residential development while office development moves west and north of the loop. While Chicago isn't really building a lot of 600 plus footers at the moment, a lot is happening on the ground. A lot of empty lots are being filled up. The skyline is starting to go west which in my opinion is better than going up because the city already has one of the highest skylines in the world. Chicago will get its supertalls so I'm not worried about that. Streeterville has less than 10 buildable surface lots left which mean towers will be getting taller. After the completion of the 2 schools in LSE there will only be 6 buildable lots in left in that corner of the city. Plus related just bought the Spire site and I've heard they are planning something considerably tall there.

I for one think Chicago will soon see taller buildings being proposed once the condo market fully recovers. Actually, some areas can probably support new construction but developers will probably look to convert some of the new apartment towers first. As of right now, there are close to no new condos available north of the river and the general downtown area is starting to see a shortage in supply of new condos. Even the South Loop which was hit the hardest has seen a dramatic recovery. Related bought about 500 newly built condos from the last boom in the South Loop a few months ago and they have already sold close to half of them. So while Chicago hasn't recover quite like NYC or Houston which wasn't really even affected by the recession, the city is indeed recovering and I'm optimistic about the future.

Btw, who cares if NYC has more supertalls or the tallest building? It's ok if NYC, being the largest city on the continent and being 3 times larger than Chicago, has more supertalls or the country's tallest building. NYC can build 30 supertalls in a single day for all I care. As long as Chicago continues to gets its fair share and the skyline continues to spread outward then I'm happy. Also, you calling Rahm tiny dancer only shows how childish and ignorant you are. Dumbs comments about who gets more supertalls and name calling only makes people not want to take you seriously.
Excellent post. Btw, Chicago has several buildings around the 200m mark either UC or proposed. It also has two potential supertalls in Wolf Point and the West Loop tower which is expected to be atleast 70 stories. You could call the Post Office a potential mega tall, but I personally am not ready to do that yet. Davies record is too sketchy, but maybe we will see the supertall from the first phase come to fruition, so that's three for Chicago.

But there is also the Spire site which Related bought, but Kelleher is fighting for, because... wait for it, he still is trying to build the Chicago Spire. Kelleher still owns part of the settlement so he could win the battle, but the better question is, who do we want to win the battle ? Related has a great record, and knowing that this site is one of the best in Chicago, this would likely be a supertall, somewhere between 250-350m, and that's a for sure. At the same time, we have Kelleher, the man who still wants to build the Chicago Spire, the most beautiful tower I have ever seen. Yet, who is to say that he could ever realize his dream, to build the tallest residential building in the world ? If he wins, we have a potentially amazing outcome, but that potential is still unlikely. I am interested to see how it turns out.

Here are some of Chicago's current proposals/UC's

1. River Point - ~200m

2. 150 North Riverside - 53 stories - 200m+

3. Wolf Point - 290m+ - 80 stories

4. 130 North Franklin - 220m+

5. 625 West Monroe - Old Rendering - 300m~ - 75 stories

Kleist D liked this post
iloveclassicrock7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2013, 01:46 AM   #1065
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaean View Post
This site has already been abandoned for years, so not much will be lost if its abandoned again.
Not much will be gained too
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2013, 02:31 AM   #1066
ChiSkyline

Likes (Received): 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumX View Post
I've always seen New York and Chicago as the two American cities that have seen continued development. I don't see Chicago going the way of Detroit. Things might be a bit stagnant now, but I just don't see developers losing interest in Chicago after all these years. All of a sudden, the city is just going to stop? I don't think so! It's much too vibrant and interesting a city for one.

I like the way the skyline flows together, better than New York, and there is something about the way the skyscraper architecture comes together. It's just a more aesthetically appealing skyine overall to me. They're building tons more skyscrapers in Asia, specifically China, but I think the look of Chicago is hard to beat. It's classic! Other cities around the world (Shanghai, Dubai) are only trying be like New York and Chicago and come off looking gaudy and overdone to me while they're only trying to outdo what New York and Chicago have already done! Chicago will prevail in the end!
This I totally agree with. I think the NYC skyline is outrageously beautiful, but just because you have more Supertalls being built proposed/approved there, rather than lets say Chicago, doesnt mean it makes it the better skyline. I mean the flow of the skyline is just amazing and incredible to look at. Just breath taking. Lived in Chicago all my life, see the skyline numerous of times, but no matter how many times I see it, it still sweeps me off my feet with no words to say. The skyscraper architecture
itself compliment one another. Each beautiful and unique in its own way. I'm not being bias at all here, but I have to say the Chicago skyline can be untouched for decades and can still be listed as one of the Top 10 Best Skylines.

Here's a picture of the skyline Highrise to Highrise:
[IMG]http://i50.************/v96ol.png[/IMG]

New York and Chicago are both unbeatable. They "pulled" what no other city can. They are SKYCRAPERCITIES.

Kleist D, dashyfreak, iamtheSTIG liked this post
ChiSkyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2013, 03:26 AM   #1067
HOLABETO

Likes (Received): 933

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
From a neutral perspective whenever i think of future development of best skylines of the USA, i always think NYC and Chicago. Then after that maybe LA, Seattle, Dallas, Atlanta. Either way its irrelevant.

This is great news for Chicago!
Dallas? Houston has a bigger Skyline and more tall buildings.

And 3 skyscrapers coming soon:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1649716
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1643184
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1601823
Old August 9th, 2013, 03:07 AM   #1068
ChiSkyline

Likes (Received): 133

Found a neat rendering

[IMG]http://i40.************/qoab94.jpg[/IMG]

iamtheSTIG liked this post
ChiSkyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2013, 05:24 AM   #1069
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Wow. Sears Tower looks small.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2013, 06:10 AM   #1070
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5307

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOLABETO View Post
Funny you mentioned that. Houston actually has more roof height completed supertalls than New York right now (2-1).
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2013, 06:19 AM   #1071
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Chicago has four supertalls at roof height, and NYC used to have three. But NYC's catching up.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2013, 06:25 AM   #1072
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

I think the more important term would be "trumping" (ironic, seeing as its Chicago's only one since the '70s).
Old August 9th, 2013, 07:42 AM   #1073
liltaz88

Likes (Received): 25

How tall and how many floor?
liltaz88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2013, 07:55 AM   #1074
azn_man12345

Likes (Received): 114

The second picture ChiSkyline posted makes me warm up to this building a little bit more. I haven't liked it for quite a while because it looked way too close to Sears/Willis, and I thought that it would ruin the balance that the Chicago skyline has. If the tower is actually that distance from Willis, I think it would be just fine.

This still doesn't change the fact that I don't think this'll be built, but if it does, I'll approve of it.
azn_man12345 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2013, 01:48 PM   #1075
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28170

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
Chicago has four supertalls at roof height, and NYC used to have three. But NYC's catching up.
NY will have more soon and I don't see any US city cath up in the near future.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2013, 03:56 PM   #1076
CHI-SKY21

Likes (Received): 1

New Tower

I think that rendering shows the tower a little to far south, i think it would be a little closer to Willis Tower(Sears). As for Houston, they may have a few tall buildings but that's all they have, New York and Chicago have much more density and better looking buildings also, to compare Houston or Miami for that matter to either is a joke, IMHO.
CHI-SKY21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2013, 05:22 AM   #1077
liltaz88

When get start built?
Old August 10th, 2013, 06:29 AM   #1078
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Give it two years, and if the economy's doing even better, I this could actually make it.
Old August 10th, 2013, 06:32 AM   #1079
liltaz88

Wow long time
Old August 10th, 2013, 06:37 AM   #1080
bozenBDJ
the World Trade Center

Likes (Received): 9717

+1 unless it will last longer
bozenBDJ no está en línea   Reply With Quote