daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Highrises > Proposed Highrises

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 23rd, 2011, 03:09 PM   #121
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 58010

Interesting news. The big twin towers really suit Chicago in shape, though not being too original. But better than the attention-whoring cheesy Spire without doubt, which hopefully finally died.

But I'm not sure about the smaller towers being copies of the big ones. Looks sort of... Bland. Like many projects in developing countries, that seemingly can only afford repetitive designs for bigger projects. But well, it just might be some basic concept so far.

Regarding this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerZavatar View Post
So they (hopefully) won't demolish the old post office at all? Or are they tearing some parts down? Obviously parts of the Art Déco facade will be covered by the new base of the building, which shouldn't be done at all imho.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

Highcliff liked this post
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 23rd, 2011, 05:13 PM   #122
Dancing Banana

Likes (Received): 277

the design is in a very early phase i guess (vision). they start with the only tower with a diffrent design if i remember right (next to the old post office). so the other ones would get a new design as soon as they become more than a vision... i think the only reason why they presented this as a huge complex is, that they might get some help from the city because its a major project that might help recover business. so basecally they play with the hopes of the people that the USA recover soon. hope you guys get what i mean
Old July 23rd, 2011, 05:21 PM   #123
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53452

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
So they (hopefully) won't demolish the old post office at all? Or are they tearing some parts down? Obviously parts of the Art Déco facade will be covered by the new base of the building, which shouldn't be done at all imho.
The Old Post Office is on the National Register Of Historic Places so the developer will renovate it in the first phase of this project. The rest of the development will probably have to be amended to gain approval.

desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2011, 06:31 PM   #124
Sammo Haya

Likes (Received): 0

If this is made, it would so incredible in the Chicago skyline.Also, from the way that this image is drawn, it looks like it splits at the middle of the building. Would this building be considered twin towers like the Patronus towers, or would they be classified as the same building because they have the same base?
Sammo Haya no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2011, 07:18 PM   #125
bennyboo

Likes (Received): 71

well the twin towers share the same base as well its just this buildings combined tower goes way higher. i would consider it twin tower
bennyboo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2011, 11:01 PM   #126
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

New twins and having a roof of 610m, I must be dreaming, this is all I ever dreamed of

Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2011, 11:06 PM   #127
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8241

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
on the picture it looks like only one of the 4 sides will be blocked off by the new facade

KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2011, 12:49 AM   #128
Dirty new yorker

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto
New twins and having a roof of 610m, I must be dreaming, this is all I ever dreamed of
Oh! I thought you cared that it was in the big apple, like most other people that want "their twins" back. Me being one of them sorta. But I see now you just want twins because you appreciate the design.
Old July 24th, 2011, 01:36 AM   #129
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
More like first twins for Chicago. Unless your counting, all the twins towers of the world. And if that's the case they are new.
Old July 24th, 2011, 01:59 AM   #130
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8241

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsc View Post
More like first twins for Chicago. Unless your counting, all the twins towers of the world. And if that's the case they are new.
well for me, this kinda makes up for the fact that the incheon twin structure was shortened and may not be built at all, although it was one of my favorite buildings by that time. so i hope this one gets build :P

KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2011, 02:06 AM   #131
kingsc

The only thing I like about Chicago are Trump and Al Capone. And that only because they're both from NYC lol.

I'm not going to get my hopes up. I'll wait for more info before I, say how I feel about it.
Old July 24th, 2011, 02:10 AM   #132
Im Using A Computer
BANNED

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerZavatar View Post
well for me, this kinda makes up for the fact that the incheon twin structure was shortened and may not be built at all, although it was one of my favorite buildings by that time. so i hope this one gets build :P
come to think of it, this proposal does look quite similar to the incheon towers. i just hope they make the base less bulky if they go through with this.
Im Using A Computer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2011, 02:54 AM   #133
kingsc

Maybe the developer game planning. 2000 plus feet is alot to ask for. Maybe he hoping they'll give him a deal and chop it down to 1,500 feet, plus some spire height. I've seen it happen before.
Old July 24th, 2011, 03:06 AM   #134
Dale

Likes (Received): 5505

It just occurred to me that Chicago has gone a whopping 37 years without a new tallest. Since then, neither money nor reputation has been able to get anything up.

Therefore, logically, this one will succeed.
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2011, 03:13 AM   #135
Dirty new yorker

Likes (Received): 25

I sure hope for the sake of the U.S. Holding wtb again. I just can't help finding myself skeptical after daveys' stale proposals across the pond.
Dirty new yorker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2011, 06:53 AM   #136
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19048

I like this proposal a lot better than that twisty-Dubai looking Chicago Spire. This looks a lot more Chicago to me. I hope it gets built and that I'm alive to see it completed.
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2011, 07:06 AM   #137
rencharles
We will never forget

Likes (Received): 93

Wow. It would be so nice if it were true. Would be a dream come true. Will soon, Chicago will lead the height limit of the United States? I hope so. I Need this, Chicago needs it.
rencharles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2011, 11:16 AM   #138
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Just don't call it twins, please It doesn't give the impression of twins and is not a twins. Twins are two identical separated towers. If you don't look closer you can't even say that part of it is separated. It just look like one building. The same goes with Incheon.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2011, 11:30 AM   #139
3521usa

Likes (Received): 36

Looks like the only people salivating over this disgusting pipe dream are people who don't live here. I hope this junk gets built in one of your towns, lol.
3521usa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2011, 12:12 PM   #140
Scrapernab2

Likes (Received): 96

Calling them junk, and wishing a 2000ft 'anything' would move to a different 'town' sounds odd to me (if you are a fan of supertalls)
Scrapernab2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
chicago, old post office