daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Highrises > Proposed Highrises

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 25th, 2011, 08:48 PM   #161
DarthVaper77

Likes (Received): 2

Is that an expressway that passes under the old post office? That's pretty crazy.
DarthVaper77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 25th, 2011, 08:55 PM   #162
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57951

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
Here's a look at the Old Chicago Post Office:
A really fascinating complex. Reminds of MetLife with that street tunneling it.
But as it looks like on those plans, the highway would have to go? That'd be a good thing, Chicago seems too car-centered anyway. But it looks like it's getting better with almost any development.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

Highcliff liked this post
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2011, 10:10 PM   #163
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19048

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3521usa View Post
Looks like the only people salivating over this disgusting pipe dream are people who don't live here. I hope this junk gets built in one of your towns, lol.
If not Chicago, they can build it in my neighborhood at 79th and Biscayne! There is a delapidated showing mall there where it will fit just fine with no FAA height restrictions or MIA flight paths to be concerned with.
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2011, 10:13 PM   #164
mattec

Likes (Received): 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
A really fascinating complex. Reminds of MetLife with that street tunneling it.
But as it looks like on those plans, the highway would have to go? That'd be a good thing, Chicago seems too car-centered anyway. But it looks like it's getting better with almost any development.
no, i believe the expressway would continue to go under the post office, which would have to be preserved somewhat because of its place as a historic building.

EDIT: the prelim render does include the expressway
Old July 26th, 2011, 06:36 AM   #165
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

By the way most already figured it out but the Old Post Office is where they shot the opening robbery scene of the Dark Knight. Both inside and outside shots are of the Post Office.

nomarandlee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2011, 06:39 AM   #166
Storm9

Likes (Received): 15

They also shot Transformers 3 at the old post office.
Storm9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2011, 06:46 AM   #167
Dirty new yorker

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee
By the way most already figured it out but the Old Post Office is where they shot the opening robbery scene of the Dark Knight. Both inside and outside shots are of the Post Office.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-rkpgchJOA">YouTube Link</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDL0kC682Zc&feature=related">YouTube Link</a>
Interesting to know, it seems like a cool interior during the movie. (very large)
Old July 26th, 2011, 10:40 AM   #168
Liberater444
Soldier of Many Fortunes

Likes (Received): 0

I'm not a huge fan of this design. As stated above the "big twins" seem exact replicas of the MetLife Building albeit extrapolated and adjoined at the bottom.

I wouldn't mind Chicago having its own twin tower complex, but I think a white and silver complex (think new WTC or Bank of America tower NY) would best compliment the rest of the boxy city. Chicago doesn't have too many of those style buildings, apart from the Smurfit-Stone and the Trump tower.
Liberater444 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2011, 11:19 AM   #169
EnDleSsWaLtZ

Likes (Received): 22

I took this picture from the 103rd Floor Observation Desk of the Willis Towers. You can kind of get an idea of how large the scale of this project is.

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by EnDleSsWaLtZ; July 26th, 2011 at 11:40 AM.
EnDleSsWaLtZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2011, 01:51 PM   #170
EPA001

Likes (Received): 5615

If it would be realized........... The chances are very slim imho that this development will get underway. There are other buildings in Chicago to be completed first before they can even remotely start to think about actually realising this imho for now pipe-dream.
"Atheism is more than just the knowledge that Gods do not exist, and that religion is either a mistake or a fraud. Atheism is an attitude, a frame of mind that looks at the world objectively, fearlessly, always trying to understand all things as a part of nature" - Carl Sagan
EPA001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2011, 02:58 PM   #171
ngeorgiev

Likes (Received): 3

lol is that an expressway going underneath the building?
ngeorgiev no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2011, 03:15 PM   #172
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngeorgiev View Post
lol is that an expressway going underneath the building?
From what I know yes

Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2011, 03:31 PM   #173
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53450

At Odd Angles

Huff Post Chicago

Quote:
British Developer Plans $3.5 Billion, 20-Acre Multi-Tower Complex On Site Of City's Former Post Office

First Posted: 7/25/11 01:21 PM ET Updated: 7/25/11 01:21 PM ET

In the days that have passed since British investor and developer Bill Davies unveiled an ambitious plan to build a $3.5 billion office, residential, hotel and retail mini-empire on the site of the Chicago River-adjacent former post office to the city council, reactions -- most of them criticizing the proposal -- have ignited the city's media circuit.

The plan, as Bloomberg reported, would center around a tower planned to be approximately 2,000 feet tall, which would not only displace the Willis (nee Sears) Tower as the city's tallest building, but would also pass all other North American skyscrapers in height.

The project's first phase would include a 40-story hotel building, in addition to transforming the city's former post office (located at 433 W. Van Buren St.) into a mall-like retail and entertainment complex. The project's final phase would offer two 60-story residential buildings. The price tag for the whole 20-acre project, planned to be completed over the course of a decade, is expected to be $3.5 billion.

2nd Ward Alderman Robert Fioretti (whose ward is home to the proposed center) applauded the plan as "show[ing] a vision that will transform this critical city gateway," according to Crain's. Fioretti is among the proposal's strongest allies on the City Council, which has yet to approve the plan.

But approval from the city is just one of many obstacles that still stand before Davies' plan can become a reality, as the Chicago News Cooperative pointed out. Because Davies hopes to build a pedestrian bridge across the Chicago River, the Army Corps of Engineer would need to OK that aspect of the proposal, and because some of the development would straddle the Eisenhower Expressway, air rights would need to be approved by Cook County, the state of Illinois and the federal government. Finally, because the post office is included on the National Register of Historic Places, there are limits to what can be built directly around it.

The Chicago Tribune called the plan, which has brought on architect Laurence Booth, "as mediocre as it is megalomaniacal" and "a pipe dream" Sunday, but added that "it would be foolish to dismiss it out of hand."

Clearly anticipating a skeptical response, Davies defended his proposal in a statement: "I would challenge any cynic to look to those developments and then tell me this can't be done," Davies said. "I am confident that with the correct focus and energy and by working in partnership with this great city, that we will achieve our goal."

----

desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2011, 03:35 PM   #174
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6558

I hope the post office building will stay intact. They can do a perfect mall in there, but hopefully from outside it will not change. Or am I wrong?

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2011, 03:36 PM   #175
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

I hope for that too. It is a beautiful building

Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2011, 08:54 PM   #176
Liberater444
Soldier of Many Fortunes

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
From what I know yes
haha yes, it is a freeway running underneath the OPO. I actually recently drove through the tunnel on my way to the U2 concert at soldier field.

I also like the design and location. They could put a mall, but I think a residential loft project would be a neat idea, as its location is right outside the Loop, between downtown and the near west side. On top of that, residents would have an unobstructed view east to Grant Park and the Lake, and West down 290.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=old+po...76172&t=k&z=15
Liberater444 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2011, 12:43 AM   #177
DarthVaper77

Likes (Received): 2

How would they prevent a terrorist attack from occurring there. I don't think it would be a strategic target, but still anyone could drive under there, park and...yikes.
DarthVaper77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2011, 01:26 AM   #178
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6558

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
I hope for that too. It is a beautiful building
I just read that this is a national landmark so it have to stay the way it is. Though obviously no one is going to miss mail sorting rooms and equipment inside.

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2011, 01:52 AM   #179
Draegen
I LIKE SKYSCRAPERS

Likes (Received): 44

I don't wanna to sound mean or anything, but the post office building is really ugly.
Draegen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2011, 02:51 AM   #180
helghast

Likes (Received): 147

Well I'd like to see this go through, but I don't think it fits in the area right. Maybe scrap the 2,000 footer and keep the surrounding towers ? And maybe propose something around 1200 feet as a centerpiece.

Tags
chicago, old post office