daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old September 12th, 2011, 02:47 PM   #261
Malyan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,422
Likes (Received): 347











Malyan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 12th, 2011, 02:48 PM   #262
Malyan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,422
Likes (Received): 347











Malyan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2011, 02:49 PM   #263
Malyan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,422
Likes (Received): 347

















Malyan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2011, 02:48 AM   #264
Chadoh25
Registered User
 
Chadoh25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Tacoma, Washington
Posts: 8,015
Likes (Received): 805

Great photos!
Chadoh25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2011, 05:28 AM   #265
rychlik
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 6,809
Likes (Received): 6603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malyan View Post
Well, somehow I like this Stalinist monster, and I am happy they didnīt tear it down after 1990. It is so oversized, tasteless and grotesque that it already is funny in a strange way - reminds me of this ridiculous 600m-monstrosity they are building in Mecca at the moment.
Your opinions are ridiculous at best. I don't know where you are from but you sound like a pedantic snob, finding faults in the smallest of details. You try to pass off as being informed but I doubt you are. You probably think you have the finest taste in wine, cheese. You must be Austrian? Why travel the world with an attitude like this? This building is quite impressive and makes an impact. Just because it's communist does not mean it's automatically bad. If it was in New York City, you would be fawning over it.

Last edited by rychlik; September 13th, 2011 at 05:34 AM.
rychlik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2011, 05:50 AM   #266
rychlik
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 6,809
Likes (Received): 6603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malyan View Post
Day 14-18: Warsaw, Poland (part I)

Polandīs capital is also by far the countryīs largest city with a population of 1.7 million in the city and 3.5 million in metro. Having been almost completely erased by the German troops in WWII, there are hardly any traces of authentic historic architecture in contemporary Warsaw, only a strange, somehow disneyland-like reconstruction of the old town, an artificial tourist attraction that has almost nothing to do with the real life of the modern city. Although Warsaw definitely is not a beautiful city, its diversity, its rough contrasts and its great modern architecture make it perhaps more interesting than a beautiful, but a bit sterile touristy place like Krakow.
Has Mickey Mouse done something to you? Warsaw has the best reconstructed Old Town in Europe. In fact Poland does reconstructions the best, in my opinion. Comparing it to Disneyland is insulting. The reconstructed Old Town, and other sections of the city are to be admired, not looked down upon. It shows you don't know how to appreciate anything. In that case you should not be travelling. I would like to see where you live. I suppose you think Germans have better reconstructions? You were not critical of your travels there so everything must have been perfect. You must have sympathies for the Germanic lands.
rychlik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2011, 06:10 AM   #267
rychlik
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 6,809
Likes (Received): 6603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiaren View Post
Why do some Romanians act so hostile in here? To me Malyan seems very open minded and fair in all his threads. Yes, he shows both sides in his pictures, the good and the bad. But he treats every city/town the same in this respect. Just look at the Berlin or Warsaw pictures. Not everything is picture perfect there...
And he has the right to share his experience and his opinion here. I very much hope he does so in an honest, unsupressed way. That's what many people come in here for as well, not just for pictures...
You do want people to experience your country, right? So please don't act so hostile to someone who did and now just shares his views with others. So far I never was interested in Romania at all. Yes, it is very underrated! This pictures actually sparked my interest. But the way some of you are acting now is ruining it...so please!
I sympathize with the Romanian because this Malyan is quite rude in his presentation. I can feel the arrogance from this guy and I cannot stand people like this. Trust me, western Europeans have a lot of problems. The cities may be spiffy in some parts but we all know of the immigrant ghetto's who are destroying other sections of cities like Paris, London, Brussels. They let that stuff go on. I can go on. Trust me, Warsaw does not have any "no go" zones.
rychlik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2011, 06:33 AM   #268
StoneRose
resident hochdeutsch
 
StoneRose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Han(n)over
Posts: 383
Likes (Received): 67

Great tour Malyan and I really don't feel the "arrogance".
StoneRose no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2011, 01:02 PM   #269
Tiaren
Registered User
 
Tiaren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,714
Likes (Received): 5608

Rychlik, with statements like:
"I don't know where you are from but you sound like a pedantic snob, finding faults in the smallest of details. You try to pass off as being informed but I doubt you are. You probably think you have the finest taste in wine, cheese. You must be Austrian?"
You do come off much worse, than what ever Malyan said... I'm a little disappointed... When I talked to you in the Warsaw reconstruction thread, I had the impression, that you were actually a nice and open minded guy, even though you seem to enjoy ranting about Germans sometimes...
And you are wrong, that he's only sceptical about Warsaw's reconstructions! I read a post by him in a Dresden-thread, where he was just as sceptical. There are lots of people who actually think reconstructions=Disneyland. Just let them think what they want.

And in the last batch of pictures, there were definately some really nice ones! Romania has so much beautiful late 19th century architecture. I'm really impressed and even little envious of that. Here so much is gone or disfigured during or after the war...

Last edited by Tiaren; September 13th, 2011 at 01:12 PM.
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2011, 04:24 PM   #270
Malyan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,422
Likes (Received): 347

@Rychlik.
Quote:
Your opinions are ridiculous at best
My doctoral advisor in art history thinks theyīre not.

Quote:
I don't know where you are from
I am an Austrian citizen of Ukrainian origin who has lived several years in Germany, spends some months every year travelling through Europe, would define himself simply as a European and will probably move to Great Britain later. But as I am not a racist like you seem to be, I donīt care about anyoneīs ethnic origin or nationality and donīt understand why it should be of any importance where I am from.

Quote:
You try to pass off as being informed but I doubt you are.
As I studied art history for eight years, I think I am. And, by the way: Itīs very bad taste to think that being uninformed and dumb is the only possible explanation for the fact that someone has another opinion than you.

Quote:
You must be Austrian?
Donīt you think itīs a bit strange to defend communism and to post racist statements at the same time?

Quote:
This building is quite impressive and makes an impact.
Cinderellaīs castle in Disneyland is impressive too, but thatīs not an indicator of artistic and intellectual qualities of a building.

Quote:
Just because it's communist does not mean it's automatically bad.
There has never been something like a "communist" country in history. The Soviet Union and its vassals didnīt call them "communist" themselves, but "socialist" - thatīs something completely different. A "communist state" is an oxymoron, as "communism" is being defined as a society that doesnīt need a state any more. Of course they were, in fact, not even socialist, but ordinary militarist and nationalist autocracies. I despise the Soviet system BECAUSE I am a socialist and this brutal caricature of socialism may disparage the wonderful idea of a human socialism for generations.

Quote:
If it was in New York City, you would be fawning over it.
I surely would not. A monstrous building of the 1950s decorated in the taste of Western bourgeoisie of the 1880s would be tasteless anywhere.

Quote:
Warsaw has the best reconstructed Old Town in Europe.
May be, but as I am very sceptic about large scale reconstructions in general, thatīs not of real importance.

Quote:
The reconstructed Old Town, and other sections of the city are to be admired, not looked down upon.
Has god the almighty forced us to the duty of admiring reconstructed old towns, or why are you not allowed to be critical about this kind of architectural nostalgia?

Quote:
It shows you don't know how to appreciate anything.
I am not really convinced by the logic of this conclusion.

Quote:
In that case you should not be travelling.
Too bad I donīt think I need your permission to be allowed to travel

Quote:
I would like to see where you live.
In Vienna, but why do you want to know?

Quote:
I suppose you think Germans have better reconstructions?
Surely not. Most German reconstructions of the 1950s and 1960s are terrible crap. Surely the technical quality of most of Warsawīs reconstructions is much higher than of most German reconstructions. But I donīt know whatīs the point about this.

Quote:
You were not critical of your travels there so everything must have been perfect.
I didnīt comment on large scale reconstructions of pre-modern cities in Germany because in the cities I visited during this travel in Germany, there are none. Stralsund and Chorin were not heavily destroyed in WW II, and in Berlin, there wasnīt a real pre-modern old town before the war, too.
I am very sceptical about the large scale reconstructions that are going on in Dresden and Frankfurt, too.

Quote:
You must have sympathies for the Germanic lands.
As I think that "nationality" and "ethnicity" are insane intellectual constructions and nothing real, I have no idea what "Germanic lands" are supposed to be, but maybe you as a racist can explain it to me?

Quote:
I can feel the arrogance from this guy
So itīs arrogant to have an opinion about architecture at all and to think that not EVERY building in the world is great and magnificent?

Quote:
and I cannot stand people like this.
The feeling is mutual as I cannot stand nationalists.

Quote:
Trust me, Warsaw does not have any "no go" zones.
True. But where did I say it has?

Last edited by Malyan; September 13th, 2011 at 04:32 PM.
Malyan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2011, 04:25 PM   #271
Malyan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,422
Likes (Received): 347

Day 27-29: Cluj Napoca, Romania (part II)











Malyan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2011, 04:26 PM   #272
Malyan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,422
Likes (Received): 347











Malyan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2011, 04:26 PM   #273
Malyan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,422
Likes (Received): 347











Malyan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2011, 04:27 PM   #274
Malyan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,422
Likes (Received): 347











Malyan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2011, 04:28 PM   #275
Malyan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,422
Likes (Received): 347











Malyan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2011, 04:28 PM   #276
Malyan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,422
Likes (Received): 347











Malyan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2011, 04:29 PM   #277
Malyan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,422
Likes (Received): 347















Malyan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2011, 06:57 PM   #278
rychlik
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 6,809
Likes (Received): 6603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiaren View Post
Rychlik, with statements like:
"I don't know where you are from but you sound like a pedantic snob, finding faults in the smallest of details. You try to pass off as being informed but I doubt you are. You probably think you have the finest taste in wine, cheese. You must be Austrian?"
You do come off much worse, than what ever Malyan said... I'm a little disappointed... When I talked to you in the Warsaw reconstruction thread, I had the impression, that you were actually a nice and open minded guy, even though you seem to enjoy ranting about Germans sometimes...
And you are wrong, that he's only sceptical about Warsaw's reconstructions! I read a post by him in a Dresden-thread, where he was just as sceptical. There are lots of people who actually think reconstructions=Disneyland. Just let them think what they want.

And in the last batch of pictures, there were definately some really nice ones! Romania has so much beautiful late 19th century architecture. I'm really impressed and even little envious of that. Here so much is gone or disfigured during or after the war...
I think Malyan is a manipulative character. If a person wants to see something from a negative point of view, then that's all they will see. I think this is the kind of person Malyan is because that's the impression I got immediately from reading his comments. Constructive criticism is welcome, but needless bashing is not ok. I wonder if he travels to Ukraine often? And Krakow is "sterile"? And I suppose Germanic Vienna is not sterile whatsoever? The point is, this guy is biased in his opinions.
rychlik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2011, 07:08 PM   #279
Malyan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,422
Likes (Received): 347

Quote:
I think Malyan is a manipulative character.
Itīs interesting to be blamed for being manipulative by an aggressive racist.

Quote:
If a person wants to see something from a negative point of view, then that's all they will see.
And the fact that I am not admiring old town reconstructions like in Warsaw and Stalinīs architectural taste, proves that I want to see Poland from a negative point of view? Donīt you feel a bit ridiculous yourself? So the fact that I donīt like the architecture of the outskirts of Paris and Marseille proves that I want to see France from a negative point of view? The fact that I donīt like Germanyīs post-war reconstructions proves that I want to see Germany from a negative point of view? The fact that I donīt like the architecture of Russiaīs new oligarchy proves that I want to see Russia from a negative point of view? The fact that I donīt like American suburbia proves that I want to see the US from a negative point of view?

Quote:
Constructive criticism is welcome, but needless bashing is not ok.
So itīs "needless bashing" to say that you donīt like a specific kind of architecture?

Quote:
I wonder if he travels to Ukraine often?
I was there several times. But why do you want to know?

Quote:
And I suppose Germanic Vienna is not sterile whatsoever?
Can you explain to me what "Germanic Vienna" is supposed to be? One of your weird racist phantasies?

Last edited by Malyan; September 13th, 2011 at 07:31 PM.
Malyan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2011, 10:47 PM   #280
rychlik
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 6,809
Likes (Received): 6603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malyan View Post
Itīs interesting to be blamed for being manipulative by an aggressive racist.
Stop over reacting. I am not racist. Besides, since you are of Ukrainian stock, I am assuming you are white. Well I am white as well, so how can you be racist against your own race?

Anyways, I hope you realize that you do focus more on the negatives of the places you are visiting. You're perpetuating stereotypes. Maybe this is your goal. That's my 2 cents. Have a nice day.
rychlik no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium