SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Birmingham, Alabama - THE MAGIC CITY aka Tree City USA

6K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  lovecharlie 
#1 ·
Birmingham, Alabama - "Tree City USA," aka "The Magic City" for how fast it grew about 100 years ago, "Tree City USA" or the "Pittsburgh of the South"

the city's symbol, from the days of industry; Vulcan; 2nd tallest statute in the USA after Liberty, world's tallest cast iron statue

damned FAA height limit restrictions...i guess they're necessary though

at The Garage, #2 bar in the world according to GQ, and a block from my apartment

-

See less See more
#3 ·
WHoa that cat is scurry. I love the older taller buildings that birmingham has and its variance in style. It is a beautiful city that has held alot of its history and flair while other cities were bulldozing and for that I commend it, for not becoming another Atlanta or whatever. It also is among my favorite terrains for a city. About the FAA regulations, how far is the airport from the city, I would like to see another tall for B-ham, to have the tallest be in Mobile would be embarrassing :)

#4 ·
Blunther said:
:laugh:

The two Birminghams are more similar than I thought!!

Except we have/had the CAA, and they're not really necessary!
heh.

SChristopher, i think the airport's like 3 or 4 miles east from downtown. the height limit is actually only for downtown (north of the rail tracks,) so i'd love to see a 650+ footer go up in the transition area; there's already a couple of towers in this area, so it really wouldn't "stick out."
and it is a little embarrassing for Mobile to have the tallest.

-

#7 ·
Such great density-Mobile can only imagine having this. They may have the tallest soon, but In this case, I'd take the density.

#12 ·
She looks pretty fit, but I would suggest losing a few lbs before giving her a go ;)

Did you get a chance to see the "original" Birmingham when you were over here in the UK? If ya did...I hope you didn't have to enter via New St :lol:

#13 ·
nick-taylor said:
She looks pretty fit, but I would suggest losing a few lbs before giving her a go ;)

Did you get a chance to see the "original" Birmingham when you were over here in the UK? If ya did...I hope you didn't have to enter via New St :lol:
heh, she could lose the weight while getting a go :horse:

i didn't get around to the "original" Birmingham...but if i go back, it's on the itinerary.

-

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.