daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 24th, 2011, 04:38 AM   #1
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

Likes (Received): 8253

A Tale of Two Cities - Madrid And Toledo, Spain

After Prado some Prada? That perhaps sums up Madrid pretty nicely - it is the city of sophisticated living which spends the day preparing itself for the rigours of the night ahead, always under the motionless and empty blue sky. It dresses up and heads into the night to lose itself in the numerous eating and drinking places. It goes to bed only when the night is dead...On top of that Madrid is famed for its shopping and its world class galleries and museums and while it has no instantly recognisable architectural icons it is still a beautiful city with wide and spacious streets lined with elegant buildings. This is what I managed to see during my stay.

Be warned theres a lot of photos (95)! Enjoy, leave a comment and lets go!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madrid

1. ¡Viva España!

2. Where better to begin than on the Gran Via - a stunning showpiece of 20th century architecture.

7. However on the street level it is somewhat less impressive...

9. The Imperial Russian Ballet Company was in town, it was founded by Gediminas Taranda - a Russian of Lithuanian descent. The Company does a lot of travelling.

10. Oops closing shutter gave me away...

11. Plaza de España with its monument to Cervantes, below it you can see sculptures of his most famous creations - Don Quixote and his sidekick Sancho Panza.

15. The view from my hotel, as we can see I had one awesome view - a truly one to kill for, or rather to kill over...nah the hotel was very nice.

16. Modern facade.

17. Another interesting piece of architecture.

18. Old facades are equally impressive.

19. This caught my eye - the scene looked rather Italian for some reason. Calle Mayor.

20. Plaza de la Villa. Madrid is blessed with some beautiful squares.

21. Most of the housing in central and inner Madrid are in the shape of big "Haussmannian" apartment blocks such as this. In my mind that is the perfect type of urban housing, or at the very least much better than endless rows of terraces.

22. One of the streets leading to Plaza Mayor.

23. Plaza Mayor itself. Its origins go back to 1576 and for centuries it has been a scene of bullfighting, executions and markets. Nowdays it is occupied by restaurants and filled with people dressed in weird costumes trying to part you with your money.

25. Small side streets somewhere near Plaza Mayor.

26. Cant quite remember the name of the street but its one coming from Plaza de la Puerta del Sol. It looked a little quiet when I took this photo but after a couple of hours it was filled with masses of people, indeed it looked as if the whole of Madrid suddenly turned up for some fiesta!

27. Note the wall decorated in azulejos.

28. A pub.

30. Museo Reina Sofia - museum of modern art which occupies a huge site. The glass tower(s) were designed by Ian Ritche and the extension by Jean Nouvel.

33. Caixa Forum - gallery of post-modern art which also exhibits works from other periods, it is one of the most visited museums in Madrid and it is easy to see why, absolutely stunning place, designed by Herzog & de Meuron. The Green Wall to the right is the work of Patrick Blanc.

37. And now we are off to the Atocha Station to book the tickets for Toledo. I like the garden.

38. Stunning place, perhaps the most impressive station Ive ever visited. Looks like a modern take on Ancient Egyptian temple architecture.

40. Taxi mania outside the station.

41. Quick trip to Barajas Airport. T4 is yet another incredible example of modern architecture in Madrid. Designed by Rogers (of Lloyds Building fame) and Antonio Lamela in 2006. It is one of the largest terminals in the World. Barajas was voted Best Airport in 2008.

42. Back to city centre, here we have monument to Juan Valera.

43. Madrid has many of these wide avenues with benches and water fountains and sometimes bar or a caffe. This is how you plan a city. Think wide and big.

49. Plaza de Cibeles and its Palacio de Comunicaciones which is offices of Madrids Mayor.

50. Bye, bye Madrid...

Toledo the ancient capital of Spain which is still called by its inhabitants Le Ciudad Imperial is a rich and vibrant mix of Christian, Jewish and Moorish cultures coming together on a rocky outcrop in the bend of the river Tajo. Walking here one is reminded of Fes or Damascus, although the total lack of touts makes walking much easier, while the tourists too seem to be either lost in the narrow streets or preoccupied with Sangria in Zocodover square, meaning that it is very easy to have the place for yourself and enjoy its numerous architectural treasures.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toledo,_Spain

51. Toledo skyline with the famous Alcazar.

52. Alcazar and Puente de Alcántara which is in fact Roman!

53. City walls of Toledo have been turned into nice gardens.

54. La Granja Escalators, collection of escalators and stairs cut into the rock onto which the old city of Toledo is built. A rather interesting idea and certainly better alternative to long, winding, steep and exposed roads.

55. An old church built around much older building which seems to be of Moorish origin.

56. The old town consist of narrow streets reminiscent of medinas of Fes or Damascus. Shadows and strong sun light provide plenty of photo opportunities.

60. If not complete absence of touts Id think I was back in Fes!

62. Theres even cats!

63. After hours of aimless wandering in the old town you suddenly emerge to the light and this. The Cathedral, began in 1226.

70. Gotta love Spanish street signs. Beautiful.

71. A piece of canvas put above a street to protect those below from the intense, intense July sun.

73. Modern apartment building.

74. Toledo is full of architectural treasures.

75. The Cathedral again.

76. And again.

77. Another Moorish building put to Christian use.

78. Plenty of quiet squares with cafes too.

80. Pots hanging from the roof of some building, Im not sure whats the meaning of these...

81. I like this girls hair.

91. Plaza de Zocodover, a good place to relax in one of its many bars with a cool glass(es) of sangria and watch people.

92. Photographing the photographers.

93. Photographing random girls with their mums.

94. A watermill on the river Tajo which empties itself into the Atlantic at Lisbon for views of it there click on the "Lisbon" link in my signature.

95. Ruined watermill.

SAS 16, solchante liked this post

Last edited by El_Greco; July 24th, 2011 at 02:27 PM.
El_Greco no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 24th, 2011, 06:01 AM   #2
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Madrid is one of the best cities in the world. I love it.

SAS 16 liked this post
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2011, 11:56 AM   #3
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244681

Amazing and very nice work El_Greco; both cities are really great
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2011, 02:39 PM   #4
skymantle

Likes (Received): 3166

You went to Toledo and nothing about your namesake, the great Greek painter El Greco, who considered it home, did some amazing work there and put the city forever on the map? Not a picture of his house, anything.
skymantle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2011, 05:31 PM   #5
Nightsky
Illustrator

Likes (Received): 3764

Nice pics, as most people know I visited both Madrid and Toledo in february. Both cities are great to visit, Madrid is one of my favourite big cities in Europe!

Btw, I took pictures of El Greco's house when I was there. Perhaps it will come later in the thread?

Website about my travels and buildings in USA and Europe -many cool pics:
http://www.worldtravelimages.net

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510
Nightsky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2011, 05:42 PM   #6
MIBO

Likes (Received): 119

Great pics!

Even if it can be pretty hot, Madrid and Toledo have a special light...
MIBO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2011, 07:36 PM   #7
Vecais Sakarnis

Likes (Received): 735

Your observations of Madrid to large extent coincides with mine as I also was there recently. And your pictures are fantastic!

STRASBOURG & BRUSSELS 2013 BERLIN 2012 VILNIUS 2013 TALLINN 2012 MADRID 2011 PARIS 2008 ROME 2008 MARSEILLE 2008 WARSAW 2008

UPCOMING: Malta 2013 | Cagliari 2013 | Amsterdam 2013 | Stockholm 2011
Vecais Sakarnis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2011, 08:52 PM   #8
balthazar
User

Likes (Received): 6216

Wonderful Toledo!
Old July 24th, 2011, 09:30 PM   #9
LazyOaf

Likes (Received): 410

Fantastic photos! I went to Madrid in June 2008, where it rained non stop. Seems whenever I leave London in sunny weather it rains elsewhere Atocha is an amazing station, I was going to go to Toledo, but didn't have the time
LazyOaf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2011, 10:16 PM   #10
neuromancer
Breathing deeply

Likes (Received): 6805

Wonderful pictures!! I´m glad you have enjoyed your trip to Madrid and Toledo.
Old July 24th, 2011, 11:04 PM   #11
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6911

Wow Madrid. Now that's what I call a city. Makes me want to go there. Thanks for this beautiful thread.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2011, 05:49 AM   #12
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12284

Beautiful photos of a beautiful city, and above all beautifully presented!
Old July 25th, 2011, 05:47 PM   #13
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18209

What camera / settings did you use? The photos look so crisp!

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2011, 09:33 PM   #14
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

I use my old Nikon D50 + 18-135mm and 10-20mm lenses, I did use polariser for most of the shots too.
Old July 25th, 2011, 10:50 PM   #15
bunt_q

Likes (Received): 0

Beautiful tours, thank you!

I'm not sure I agree, though, that Madrid has no "instantly recognizable architectural icons." The Puerta de Europa buildings (the pair of leaning towers) are quite well known. Perhaps not Eiffel Tower well-known, but most folks who know cities and architecture would recognize them as Madrid, even if they are only moderately impressive in person and live out on the outskirts of the city. But I did go looking for them when I visited, so that must count for something. Oh, and they make the "33 World Buildings" skyscraper poster that they sell over at skyscraperpage - surely that's authoritative.
bunt_q no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2011, 01:21 AM   #16
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
Madrid is one of the best cities in the world. I love it.
It certainly is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymantle View Post
You went to Toledo and nothing about your namesake, the great Greek painter El Greco, who considered it home, did some amazing work there and put the city forever on the map? Not a picture of his house, anything.
Sadly the pull of sangria was stronger...terrible isnt it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightsky View Post
Nice pics, as most people know I visited both Madrid and Toledo in february. Both cities are great to visit, Madrid is one of my favourite big cities in Europe!

Btw, I took pictures of El Greco's house when I was there. Perhaps it will come later in the thread?
No, no photos of his house. I didnt go to Toledo to see something specific, I simply went there to experience it through walking aimlessly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vecais Sakarnis View Post
Your observations of Madrid to large extent coincides with mine as I also was there recently. And your pictures are fantastic!
Thank you. It would appear that entire SSC converged on Madrid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
Wow Madrid. Now that's what I call a city. Makes me want to go there. Thanks for this beautiful thread.
Youre welcome and thanks for your comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller, Better View Post
Beautiful photos of a beautiful city, and above all beautifully presented!
Thanks, much appreciated! You really need to get yourself to Europe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
Beautiful tours, thank you!

I'm not sure I agree, though, that Madrid has no "instantly recognizable architectural icons." The Puerta de Europa buildings (the pair of leaning towers) are quite well known. Perhaps not Eiffel Tower well-known, but most folks who know cities and architecture would recognize them as Madrid, even if they are only moderately impressive in person and live out on the outskirts of the city. But I did go looking for them when I visited, so that must count for something. Oh, and they make the "33 World Buildings" skyscraper poster that they sell over at skyscraperpage - surely that's authoritative.
Yes but how many people outside this forum actually know about them?

Thanks for your comments people! Some more wouldnt hurt!

Old July 26th, 2011, 01:45 AM   #17
bleetz
one.man.army

Likes (Received): 396

Fantastic photos of a great city, thanks very much for the thread.
Old July 26th, 2011, 04:15 AM   #18
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

Thanks
Old July 26th, 2011, 08:32 AM   #19
Linguine
leisure cook

Likes (Received): 3939

Thanks for the great pics.....
Old July 26th, 2011, 01:58 PM   #20
JAVICUENCA

Likes (Received): 55

I think we have here two things put together: an excellent photographer as we have seen in Naples and other cities and two beautiful Spanish cities.

Thanks El Greco.

By the way, did you see pictures of El Greco in Toledo?

Do you have more pix?
Madrid: 3 top world class museums, 300 kms of underground for 1,20 euros, a new airport terminal of 1 km long by Richard Rogers, the city where more companies are created in Spain and which gets 70% of foreign investments for Spain, the biggest gay pride of Europe, the perfect city to learn Spanish, a new park of 6 kms along the river Manzanares, 4 skyscrapers of 250 mtrs, some excellent museums and...in the future a new avenue of three kms with more than ten skyscrapers of 250 and 300 mters...and soon Eurovegas!
JAVICUENCA no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
madrid, spain in the world, toledo