daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 15th, 2015, 02:19 AM   #41
Scrapernab2

Likes (Received): 99

Finally PF Changs....They had a sign that said "Coming in December" then "Coming Soon". I will miss Chilis, but PF is also great.

Question: How do you get between the terminals? I don't mean between A-B-C, I mean over to the other terminal - non Delta flights. I've never seen a sign for a shuttle bus.

Last edited by diablo234; June 8th, 2015 at 09:32 PM.
Scrapernab2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 17th, 2015, 08:15 PM   #42
Lakeland

New Administration Building Planned for Detroit Metro Airport
Quote:
An 84,000 square foot, four-story headquarters facility for Detroit Metro Airport in Romulus will be constructed near the North Terminal and is expected to open in 2017.

Lassaline says the planned conceptual design features a glazed curtain wall and metal wall systems that "will complement the modern, architecture of the North Terminal, and its transparent glass box entry." The design also includes open collaboration areas and a central staircase.

The project cost has not yet been determined. Construction is expected to begin before the end of the year.
Lakeland no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2015, 09:32 PM   #43
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapernab2 View Post
Finally PF Changs....They had a sign that said "Coming in December" then "Coming Soon". I will miss Chilis, but PF is also great.

Question: How do you get between the terminals? I don't mean between A-B-C, I mean over to the other terminal - non Delta flights. I've never seen a sign for a shuttle bus.
According to their website a shuttle bus runs every seven minutes between the two terminals.

http://www.metroairport.com/GroundTr...oTerminal.aspx
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2015, 06:45 AM   #44
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Deal to develop aerotropolis land moves forward

Quote:
Wayne County is moving toward a potential multimillion-dollar deal with a Colorado company to develop land in an area of the long-elusive aerotropolis project.

Wayne County commissioners will weigh a sale of up to 16 parcels of county land in Huron Township south of Detroit Metro Airport to Pauls Real Estate Investments of Denver. The commission's Economic Development Committee voted 6-1 Tuesday to move the deal forward to the full commission, which meets next week.

Huron Township Supervisor David Glaab told commissioners that the deal would give Wayne County the "kick in the pants" it needs for economic development. The land sits in the area of the so-called aerotropolis that was to have spurred development between Metro and Willow Run airports but that never quite materialized.

Old June 12th, 2015, 06:14 AM   #45
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Virgin Atlantic marks new Detroit-London service

Quote:
he British aren't just coming. They're here.

Virgin Atlantic today officially became Detroit Metro Airport's newest airline, flying daily between Metro and London Heathrow Airport. Sir Richard Branson, president of Virgin Atlantic, was in town to mark the start of service, which began June 1.

The colorful celebrity executive brought with him 30 British journalists, some British entrepreneurs and some Virgin Atlantic employees, who will be in town until Sunday to sample what Detroit has to offer, including a Detroit Tigers game, parties and the Motown Museum.

Virgin is the first British carrier to fly to Detroit since British Airways pulled out in 2008.

"We are delighted to be here. The city is beginning to boom again," said Branson, wearing a black and white T-shirt with the slogan "Detroit Hustles Harder. "

Virgin is known for its flash and flair. It was the first airline to introduce seat-back videos. It also has one of the youngest fleets of any airline.

Old June 12th, 2015, 06:29 PM   #46
GTR66
GTR66

Likes (Received): 312

The Brits are invading Detroit.
GTR66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2015, 06:30 PM   #47
GTR66
GTR66

Likes (Received): 312

deleted
GTR66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2015, 06:30 AM   #48
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 848

The Wayne County Airport Authority's long-term plans include an airport rail system, a new runway, and some terminal expansions.

1. The rail system is to connect the McNamara Terminal and the North Terminal with a potential consolidated rental car facility and a planned regional rail system.
2. Concourses B and C of the McNamara (South) Terminal would be extended.
3. A fifth parallel runway would also be added in order to alleviate future congestion.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2015, 06:19 AM   #49
N830MH

Likes (Received): 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim856796 View Post
The Wayne County Airport Authority's long-term plans include an airport rail system, a new runway, and some terminal expansions.

1. The rail system is to connect the McNamara Terminal and the North Terminal with a potential consolidated rental car facility and a planned regional rail system.
2. Concourses B and C of the McNamara (South) Terminal would be extended.
3. A fifth parallel runway would also be added in order to alleviate future congestion.
What about concourse A? They haven't extend the entire concourse A yet.
N830MH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2015, 06:17 AM   #50
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Spirit Airlines is going to build a maintenance hangar and add 80 jobs at their Detroit base.

Detroit Metro Airport to get new hangar, 80 jobs

Quote:
Spirit Airlines announced plans Friday to construct a new maintenance hangar for its aircraft at Detroit Metropolitan Airport that it anticipates will add more than 80 new jobs to the area.

The hangar will be the lead maintenance facility for the budget airlines, which chose Detroit Metro Airport over a competing offer in Texas for the hangar's location.

The 126,000-square-foot hangar will replace an older and smaller hangar at the airport that Spirit had used until it was razed about five years ago.

Joe Resnik, Spirit's vice president of technical operations, said the new hangar could be ready by the third quarter of 2016.

The hangar will once again allow the airlines to do its own indoor maintenance work. Since the old hangar closed, Spirit has had its mechanics do work outside or hired third-party contractors for necessary indoor work, he said.

"This is actually going to be our first hangar in about five years," Resnik said. "We had a hangar here in Detroit at one time ... and this is an opportunity to get that back."

Old June 27th, 2015, 10:00 AM   #51
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 848

Quote:
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
What about concourse A? They haven't extend the entire concourse A yet.
Nothing was said about Concourse A of the South (McNamara) Terminal in the expansion plan. I think concourse A may have been built out already.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2016, 09:40 PM   #52
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19142

I was changing in Detroit on my way from London to Tampa and took some pictures:

P3080052
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

P3080057
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

P3080058
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

P3080060
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

P3080063
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

P3080065
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

P3080067
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

P3080055
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

Last edited by geogregor; March 23rd, 2016 at 06:09 PM.
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2016, 09:49 PM   #53
geogregor

P3080071
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

P3080072
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

P3080074
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

P3080075
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

P3080079
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

P3080081
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

P3080050
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

Generally very pleasant and spacious terminal.

What surprised me was small number of shops and restaurants. In the UK airports practically became the shopping malls with gates attached in recent years. In that respect US airports are way less commercialized.

Detroit seemed quiet and with amply spare capacity.

One thing which annoyed me was the fact that on my way back the only duty free shop in the terminal was already shut. My flight from Tampa landed after 9pm and the whole airport was already shutting down with closed shops and restaurants. Ok, my London flight was I think the last one that day but there was also a flight to Paris 30min earlier. Couldn't they keep duty free open a bit longer (even if it looked tiny).

I couldn't get my booze
Old March 27th, 2016, 02:28 AM   #54
geogregor

I found one more shot of DTW on my phone:

IMG_20160308_180240_915
by Geogregor*, on Flickr
Old March 27th, 2016, 04:44 PM   #55
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2203

I remember running into a bloke a few years back who said that Detroit would be an ideal transatlantic hub for somone with an all narrow fleet in future as you can run it all out of one terminal.

It stuck in my mind .....Detroit tends to.
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2016, 08:45 PM   #56
Леонид
Espartano

Likes (Received): 864

nice long terminal

Airports visited:
SAP - TGU - RTB - LCE - SAL - SJO - MIA - IAH - MFE - ATL - EWR - ALC - MAD - BCN - SVQ - FCO - BVA - VLC - BRQ - BTS - DOH - DXB - MXP - JFK - MEX - LHR - IAD - GUA - GDL - TPA - MCI - IND - DFW - GJT - DEN - FLL

My 10 top planes:
A340-600 / B777-300 / A330-300 / B787 / B747 / A350 / A380 / B727 / B737 / EMB190
Леонид no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2017, 05:28 AM   #57
ruifo
Brasil | Mexico

Likes (Received): 11594

Detroit Metropolitan Airport by ruifo, on Flickr

Delta's McNamara Terminal (DTW) by ruifo, on Flickr

Delta CRJ-900 (DTW) by ruifo, on Flickr

David & Goliath (DTW) by ruifo, on Flickr

Aerial Detroit and Windsor by ruifo, on Flickr

Detroit Rock City by ruifo, on Flickr

Cani, shakman, prageethSL liked this post