daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 6th, 2011, 08:38 AM   #41
Spocket

Likes (Received): 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
Comments that uniformly disparage all buildings from the 50s, 60s and 70s are utterly idiotic and reveal true immaturity.

Anyone who fails to perceive the elegance of this tower, for example, is a fool.
So , if you don't like boring boxes , you're an immature idiot . Gotcha .

Quote:
Alternatively, consider the Seagrams Building. It is praised by architects and architecture critics worldwide, yet many twenty year old forum members would dismiss it out of hand.
I'm not twenty but I don't think it's all that great either . Again , it's a box . Whoopee . In its day it may have been cutting edge but that's really not saying much when "cutting" edge is a monolith .

Sure , I understand why some people like Seagrams but the building's merits have nothing to do with how inspirational or creative it is . It's a box . A big box . Nothing inherently wrong with boxes exactly but from the average Joe's point of view , it's boring . You like it for reasons that have nothing to do with what the vast majority of people care about . We can't all share the same taste , so that's cool but seriously , just because you like something that is as mundane as Seagrams is doesn't make people who don't like it "idiots and fools."
Spocket no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 6th, 2011, 01:54 PM   #42
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

I don't mind if you're unsophisticated.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2011, 12:36 AM   #43
aek-94

Likes (Received): 4

I like it
aek-94 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2011, 06:14 AM   #44
Liberater444
Soldier of Many Fortunes

Likes (Received): 0

Must say I'm not a huge fan of this design. It might be the coloring or the scale, but it doesn't seem to fit in at all
Liberater444 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2011, 06:58 AM   #45
cincobarrio
Lurker

Likes (Received): 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
I'm not twenty but I don't think it's all that great either . Again , it's a box . Whoopee . In its day it may have been cutting edge but that's really not saying much when "cutting" edge is a monolith .
HATERS GONNA HATE

cincobarrio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2011, 01:20 PM   #46
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

This building is beautiful. I love boxy design
Old August 9th, 2011, 01:29 PM   #47
Hendycfc

Likes (Received): 422

It's quite nice but I am not sure about the colours :/
Hendycfc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2011, 09:40 PM   #48
Rubba

Likes (Received): 0

This building is a bit out of place it should be closer to soho or the middle of manhattan
Rubba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2011, 09:47 PM   #49
Vormek
Scarface

Likes (Received): 22

I'm sorry but... hahahahahaha. What is that?
Even I can design a better skyscraper.
Vormek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2011, 04:37 AM   #50
sbarn

Likes (Received): 991

Really cool design, but no chance in hell this would fly in that location. Looks like its envisioned for the meatpacking district which has strict height restrictions.
sbarn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2011, 07:09 PM   #51
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1155

From SSP:

Quote:
Originally Posted by svittori View Post
Thank you all for your interest in our SNCI Tower. In most cases you are all right. Our project is a concept that was particular designed for the small site where the gas station currently sits. The developer did not move on so we at www.solus4.com and Tangram 3DS decided to take the concept further and also visualize the concept and to produce stunning renderings. Our intent is to find and get a potential developer excited about our new vertical neighborhood project. The tower shown in all exterior renderings is on the exact location and is correct in regards of size, location and orientation and should also be be close in the night ground shot. The night ground shot however is a photo montage where we manipulated the photo but put in the river side and park on the right side. This might explain the confusion about the other towers in that image. Again, that image is only to simulate how the tower will look from the ground perspective. To show the right site context in that view and image, was secondary. We used the artistic liberty to show the tower at night and from the ground.
The interior shots however are meant for "marketing images" where Tangram 3DS as the cg artists took the liberty to use night shots of NYC to use as the background. The orientation of the building is therefore not exact.
I hope that helps to clarify some concerns and gives you answers to your questions. I will keep you all updated on the future of our project.
Thanks
Stefan Vittori
Can be moved.
Old August 31st, 2011, 08:30 PM   #52
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

And there you have it.
Old September 3rd, 2011, 07:48 AM   #53
briker
BANNED

Likes (Received): 90

It looks too thin and out of place.
briker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2011, 03:44 PM   #54
dutchsnookerfan

Likes (Received): 9

Yea in europe this wont even get planned because these would be refused.
Old September 3rd, 2011, 07:54 PM   #55
moustache
BANNED

Likes (Received): 706

So ugly face with a blue color wich doesen't match with Ny environement.
moustache no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2011, 08:17 PM   #56
Gendo

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
Does this tower slant backward or go straight up?
Looks to me that the tallest side starts to slant back part way up.

An interesting design, although it would look better on the skyline if a few highrises were in planning to be built within a few blocks of it.
Gendo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2011, 12:28 AM   #57
adam_uk

Likes (Received): 13

nice one.
Old September 8th, 2011, 12:43 AM   #58
Simfan34
Complainer-in-Chief

Likes (Received): 2461

This is New York. Lowrises are out of place, not skyscrapers.
Old September 10th, 2011, 09:49 PM   #59
REAPER666 94
Reaper

Likes (Received): 6

http://www.skyscrapernews.com/news.php?ref=2926

New York Tower Pushes Slender To New Heights

Published on 09-09-2011 by Skyscrapernews.com

The centres of dense cities are filled with tiny plots that are often difficult to exploit, but commercially wasted on the small buildings they host. One solution to this problem is the micro-tower, a skyscraper with a titchy footprint as designed by architecture firm Solus 4 for a site in New York City.

The building is 55 floors, 50 of which will be apartments, each of them with four bedrooms and internal space of about 300 square metres. Giving them sweeping views will be 4.2 metre floor to ceiling glazing that will clad much of the exterior of the tower. With the substantial dimensions of each floor, this will help contribute to the total height of 290 metres making it one of the tallest residential towers in the Big Apple.

With an incredibly slender height to width ratio the structural engineers LeMessurier Consultants have dreamed up an interesting way to keep the tower standing.

Structural stability is primarily derived from the extruded service and core shaft that boasts columns and shear walls. These in turn support the concrete slabs of each floor making much of the exterior column free and allowing uninterrupted glazing.

This will be double skinned, and exploit the chimney effect where hot air rises. The intention is that the hot air will rise up the building between its two glass skins with miniature wind turbines situated to use the passing air to generate power.

Topping the tower is a fašade overrun that looks like a glass blade. The purpose of this is to provide space for solar generation by covering it in semi-transparent solar panels that will help contribute power to the building and reduce the bills of the residents. In a city where many apartment blocks are already co-operatively run with collective maintenance, it makes sense to further extend that with power generation.

As if that isn’t enough to establish green credentials even the balconies help contribute. They aren't just planned to serve as amenity space for the residents but also work as rainwater collectors.
REAPER666 94 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2011, 05:56 AM   #60
Gendo

Likes (Received): 77

It is my understanding that the primary reason why highrises haven't been built in much of the area between midtown and downtown was because there isn't shallow enough bedrock to set the foundations on in most of that area.

In recent years new foundation construction techniques have been developed to overcome that problem, so perhaps we'll start seeing more proposals for that area.
Gendo no está en línea   Reply With Quote