daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 31st, 2011, 12:37 AM   #21
josemi

Likes (Received): 1

bundesliga
josemi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 31st, 2011, 02:47 AM   #22
Alemanniafan

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis2051 View Post
I have to agree with these guys...theres just so much more variety in MLB. Every other stadium just looks the same and bland, but each one in MLB is unique.
There may indeed be more variety in MLB stadia, but sadly most of what the architects and owners really used their freedoms for is just awful kitsch or gigantic advertisement boards.

And somehow hardly any baseball stadium ever ends up very high up in a list of most beautiful stadia. In my opinion that's partially because their odd looking shape and then also because they often tend to look like patchwork stadia. Rectangular or oval stadia can fairly easily and effectively be designed into an appealing overal shape or three dimensional kind of sculpture, with a modern roof and exterior design.

All in all I would even partially disagree with the statement that Baseball stadia really do have more variety than soccer stadia. Especially when it comes to exterior design I personally believe that rectangular and oval stadia do have more variety than baseball stadia. Most baseball stadia just have some simple and common kind of typically American brick or industrial building style of facade, they're hardly ever anything stunning, impressive or beautiful.
I would say that only the arrangement of the stands and the interiors of baseball stadia really do happen to offer a larger variety than rectangular or oval stadia.

And when judging a leagues stadia overall and all taken together, then I agree that the MLB is certainly a really hot candidate for a top spot. It does indeed have plenty of very nice stadia, but what it lacks are the really outstanding architectural superlatives.

It certainly lacks those really outstandingly beautiful single stadia which would have a fair chance of ending up in one of the top ranks of a worldwide architectural ranking list.

I personally wouldn't put even a single one of the better known MLB stadia into the personal top 20 of the most beautiful stadia in the world. There might be one or two somewhere in my top 50. But there simply is no baseball stadium around that matches the aesthetics of Berlins Olympiastadion for example, or the Birds nest, or the Allianz Arena, the WC stadium in Cape Town, the Donetzk Arena or, to also pick an American example, the Dallas Cowboys stadium in Arlington and not to mention the "soccer volcano" stadium the Estadio Omnilife in Guadalajara, the solar powered "dragon" stadium in Khaosiung and so on... I could continue this list of really truely outstanding stadium architectures almost forever.

I really do also like baseball stadia, especially the interiors and I also certainly appreciate the variety of setups and stands and all that, I even like some of the kitch here and there, that makes them unique, but I really just don't know of any baseball stadiums that are anywhere nearly as beautiful as those examples of top modern architecture of rectangular or oval stadia.
Old July 31st, 2011, 03:26 AM   #23
weava
Arch(Struct) Engineer

Likes (Received): 1962

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alemanniafan View Post
There may indeed be more variety in MLB stadia, but sadly most of what the architects and owners really used their freedoms for is just awful kitsch or gigantic advertisement boards.

And somehow hardly any baseball stadium ever ends up very high up in a list of most beautiful stadia. In my opinion that's partially because their odd looking shape and then also because they often tend to look like patchwork stadia. Rectangular or oval stadia can fairly easily and effectively be designed into an appealing overal shape or three dimensional kind of sculpture, with a modern roof and exterior design.

All in all I would even partially disagree with the statement that Baseball stadia really do have more variety than soccer stadia. Especially when it comes to exterior design I personally believe that rectangular and oval stadia do have more variety than baseball stadia. Most baseball stadia just have some simple and common kind of typically American brick or industrial building style of facade, they're hardly ever anything stunning, impressive or beautiful.
I would say that only the arrangement of the stands and the interiors of baseball stadia really do happen to offer a larger variety than rectangular or oval stadia.

And when judging a leagues stadia overall and all taken together, then I agree that the MLB is certainly a really hot candidate for a top spot. It does indeed have plenty of very nice stadia, but what it lacks are the really outstanding architectural superlatives.

It certainly lacks those really outstandingly beautiful single stadia which would have a fair chance of ending up in one of the top ranks of a worldwide architectural ranking list.

I personally wouldn't put even a single one of the better known MLB stadia into the personal top 20 of the most beautiful stadia in the world. There might be one or two somewhere in my top 50. But there simply is no baseball stadium around that matches the aesthetics of Berlins Olympiastadion for example, or the Birds nest, or the Allianz Arena, the WC stadium in Cape Town, the Donetzk Arena or, to also pick an American example, the Dallas Cowboys stadium in Arlington and not to mention the "soccer volcano" stadium the Estadio Omnilife in Guadalajara, the solar powered "dragon" stadium in Khaosiung and so on... I could continue this list of really truely outstanding stadium architectures almost forever.

I really do also like baseball stadia, especially the interiors and I also certainly appreciate the variety of setups and stands and all that, I even like some of the kitch here and there, that makes them unique, but I really just don't know of any baseball stadiums that are anywhere nearly as beautiful as those examples of top modern architecture of rectangular or oval stadia.
Different architectural tastes in different parts of the world I suppose. I love the brick and stone stadiums of Busch, Yankee, etc way more than the office park looking stadiums like Cowboys. Some of the best looking college football stadiums IMO use brick also such as the Michigan, Minnesota, Texas,& Florida State stadiums

Last edited by weava; July 31st, 2011 at 03:32 AM.
weava no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2011, 06:56 AM   #24
Pennypacker

Likes (Received): 135

In terms of football leagues it's definitely the Bundesliga.

They've done a great job over the past decade to modernise their stadiums and increase attendances.

The Premier League has the potential the be up there if some of the proposed grounds get built though.
Pennypacker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2011, 09:41 AM   #25
Richo83

Likes (Received): 1

If you mean football with a round ball, then yes, by quite a distance.

However, I have high respect for the nfl, even college football has a crazily good standard of football stadiums. Furthermore, I'd say that the worst nfl stadium (probably candlestick, which is being replaced anyway) is still better than the worst bundesliga stadium (most likely Freiburg's stadium, which is not a pretty stadium by any measure).
Richo83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2011, 10:50 AM   #26
Cristian G.

Likes (Received): 401

Certainly the Spanish La Liga!
Cristian G. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2011, 11:27 AM   #27
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10793

Baseball, although the one in my home town (Toronto) isn't that good. The Skydome is akin to watching a sporting event at a shopping centre. The crappy stadium is helping kill both baseball and football in this city.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2011, 01:19 PM   #28
Rev Stickleback

Likes (Received): 1925

I think one thing a lot of baseball stadiums have is a view through the open corner towards the city skyline. That helps create an impression beyond that of the stadium itself, and can be appealing for that reason.
Rev Stickleback no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2011, 01:37 PM   #29
Hia-leah JDM

Likes (Received): 11304

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alemanniafan View Post
Most baseball stadia just have some simple and common kind of typically American brick or industrial building style of facade, they're hardly ever anything stunning, impressive or beautiful.
You're right. The retro look was beaten to death, but some real jewels came from the frenzy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Stickleback View Post
I think one thing a lot of baseball stadiums have is a view through the open corner towards the city skyline. That helps create an impression beyond that of the stadium itself, and can be appealing for that reason.
I have high hopes for Miami's new baseball stadium. Not only will it have an amazing skyline view, but it'll just stand out in the MLB ranks because of it's design.

Last edited by Hia-leah JDM; July 31st, 2011 at 01:55 PM.
Hia-leah JDM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2011, 01:50 PM   #30
renco
Grad heroj

Likes (Received): 477

Bundesliga
renco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2011, 02:00 PM   #31
West12Rangers

Likes (Received): 35

i do love that new Miami ballpark
West12Rangers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2011, 03:35 PM   #32
rantanamo

Likes (Received): 353

MLB and its not close.
rantanamo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2011, 03:46 PM   #33
Harisson
User

Likes (Received): 293

Bundesliga

Last edited by Harisson; July 31st, 2011 at 03:53 PM.
Harisson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2011, 03:54 PM   #34
krkseg1ops

Likes (Received): 1153

Indeed, I have to say Bundesliga, the best engineers in the world are the Germans.
krkseg1ops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2011, 05:58 PM   #35
tonttula

Likes (Received): 180

Bundesliga and NFL. Bundesliga arena's just in general look great. NFL in sheer size is impressive, but the looks in many cases aren't IMO. You could say kind of the same about La Liga's top teams big stadiums, but those aren't exactly great looking either. Don't really find much special about the open baseball stadiums.
Bundesliga
image hosted on flickr

Though the guys overseas certainly know to put right sized screen on their stadiums.
Cowboys Stadium
tonttula no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2011, 07:56 PM   #36
Hansadyret

Likes (Received): 620

1 NFL
2 Bundesliga

But to me some of the greatest stadiums are the older ones like Santiago Bernabeu (the steepnes of the stands, History, charm etc). Some of these newer stadiums look like shopping malls.
Hansadyret no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2011, 01:24 AM   #37
eagle in sky

Likes (Received): 1457

Bundesliga and Netherlands also the worst is Serie A.

Daniel Dumoulin
eagle in sky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2011, 01:40 AM   #38
JimB

Likes (Received): 4813

I'd have to join those who say MLB.

Some absolute beauties.
JimB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2011, 01:46 AM   #39
Darloeye

Likes (Received): 84

off-topic here but is that right field foul line out of view in the last shot of the marlins game ?
Darloeye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2011, 02:05 AM   #40
weava
Arch(Struct) Engineer

Likes (Received): 1962

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darloeye View Post
off-topic here but is that right field foul line out of view in the last shot of the marlins game ?
it looks like on both sides, that if there is a homerun adjacent to the foul pole a few thousand people wont be able to see it
weava no está en línea   Reply With Quote