daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 6th, 2011, 11:24 PM   #101
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by weava View Post
MLB has hands down the best exteriors and its not even debatable.
This retro kitsch is certainly not debatable because it is fvck ugly.

Sponsored Links
Old August 6th, 2011, 11:42 PM   #102
AdidasGazelle

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post
Premier League stadiums aren't beautiful. But neither are 90% of Bundesliga stadiums, for that matter. The only two that could be described thus are the Berlin Olympic stadium and the Allianz Arena. The remainder are a mixture of impressive (but not beautiful) or modern (but a tad bland).
Well which ever word you want to use, whether it be impressive or beautiful then the premier league is way down the list. The EPL is held in high regard around the world and is the most-watched football league but you have to admit that it's stadia don't reach the same heights.
AdidasGazelle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2011, 12:41 AM   #103
vadin

Likes (Received): 26

Major League Baseball is #1 by far.

NFL is #2.
vadin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2011, 01:21 AM   #104
JimB

Likes (Received): 4813

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonttula View Post
True, but that's the thing. I find the overall quality of the arenas still much better than on Bundesliga than Premier League.
For some reason i just find pretty much all of the Premier league arenas old fashioned look wise(and not in a good way).
Something like Bremen, Leverkusen, Stuttgart already beats in looks pretty much all of the Premier arenas when you take the top 2-3 from both leagues imo.

Though of course we are talking about design here so we can go on about this discussion all day.
I'd agree that the Bundesliga beats the Premier League in terms of beautiful stadiums.

But that's only a comparative judgement (and because, aesthetically, there's little to recommend Premier League stadia). Taken in isolation, however, the majority of Bundesliga stadiums really can't be described as especially beautiful. Impressive and modern would be better words.

That's why, in the specific context of this thread, MLB is the clear winner, IMO.
JimB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2011, 01:24 AM   #105
JimB

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdidasGazelle View Post
Well which ever word you want to use, whether it be impressive or beautiful then the premier league is way down the list. The EPL is held in high regard around the world and is the most-watched football league but you have to admit that it's stadia don't reach the same heights.
??

I never said otherwise!
Old August 7th, 2011, 02:23 AM   #106
matthemod

Likes (Received): 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by weava View Post
MLB has hands down the best exteriors and its not even debatable.
Except for the fact all of those retro styled facade's are now ten a penny. They're nice yes, but "not even debateable"? That's a bold statement to make.

My MiniCity!
matthemod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2011, 02:50 AM   #107
rantanamo

Likes (Received): 353

we're talking about an entire league. Pretty hard to beat MLB which is made up of about 20+ stadiums less than 20 years old that are first class, a few that are like historic landmarks, and maybe 2 real duds out of nearly 30.
rantanamo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2011, 03:09 AM   #108
carlspannoosh

Likes (Received): 745

There is no debate for me. MLB no question.
Bundesliga stadiums are not beautiful. Bundesliga stadiums are generally impressive but functional. The likes of the Dortmund stadium are equivalents to American College stadia. Not pretty but great for a sense of theatre, atmosphere and occasion. Aesthetics are not a priority.

On the other hand Major League Baseball franchises have stadium aesthetics as a much higher priority and it shows. The nearest equivalent in approach would be Cricket in England but unlike the bat and ball game equivalent in America, Cricket has historically been run like an elitist gentlemans exclusive club with county games being played on weekday afternoons being watched by 3 wealthy retired gentlemen and a dog. As a result comparisons on a stadium level are laughable.

Last edited by carlspannoosh; August 7th, 2011 at 03:16 AM.
carlspannoosh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2011, 03:39 AM   #109
cristi767

Likes (Received): 2936

I will choose Bundesliga. They have a lot of great stadiums.
Old August 7th, 2011, 12:28 PM   #110
Commandant

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeno2 View Post
and I take the liberty to add: No roof, no glory.
I hate to enter this debate but why the hell would we wanna put roofs on our stadiums? Look at the scenery you wouldn't get to see if these places had a ceiling overhead:

Commandant no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2011, 12:43 PM   #111
Commandant

Likes (Received): 44

One more... Dodger Stadium at Sunset by elbelbelb2000

image hosted on flickr
Commandant no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2011, 02:00 PM   #112
Richo83

Likes (Received): 1

Two points:

- Quite a few MLB do have roofs.

- And for those who don't, they are used in the summer, when it's not raining. Ergo, the need for a roof is reduced.
Richo83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2011, 02:04 PM   #113
derzberb
operierender Titan

Likes (Received): 3293

this is beautyful:

wrigley field:

image hosted on flickr

Old August 7th, 2011, 04:23 PM   #114
Rev Stickleback

Likes (Received): 1925

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandant View Post
I hate to enter this debate but why the hell would we wanna put roofs on our stadiums? Look at the scenery you wouldn't get to see if these places had a ceiling overhead:
A roof would hardly block anything in those views. A dome, an entirely different thing, would.

Nobody complains about Wrigley Field having a roof, for example. I think perhaps the American experience is to go from one extreme to the other, with stadiums being open or completely covered, field included. There are very few places where a domed roof is popular.

There is also debate about where "the most beautiful stadium" should just refer to the stadium itself, or should include views beyond. MLB wouldn't score anywhere near as well in the first category.

On the other hand, the facades at many (even if numerous copied) are a lot more aesthetically pleasing than in many other leagues.
Rev Stickleback no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2011, 08:05 PM   #115
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandant View Post
I hate to enter this debate but why the hell would we wanna put roofs on our stadiums? Look at the scenery you wouldn't get to see if these places had a ceiling overhead.
How tedious must baseball be when the cityscape is an important attraction in the ground.
Old August 7th, 2011, 08:48 PM   #116
RaiderATO

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
How tedious must baseball be when the cityscape is an important attraction in the ground.
I could say the same about bouncing and chanting in the stands when it comes to soccer. The game is so boring that you have to entertain yourself with signs, fireworks, and confetti. (but that would be ignorant, just like your comment)

Baseball takes a certain mindset, just as soccer does.
RaiderATO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2011, 10:03 PM   #117
Anubis2051
Captian Clutch

Likes (Received): 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
This retro kitsch is certainly not debatable because it is fvck ugly.
Then you must have no taste. IMO, there are only two ugly stadiums in all of MLB: Oakland and Tampa Bay

And they've been actively trying to replace both of those for some time now. (I would have included Miami, but by this time next year that will be ancient history)

Other than those two, each ballpark is more beautiful than the next.

image hosted on flickr

Rockies Opening Night by mattsantomarco, on Flickr
[IMG]image hosted on flickr
Coors Field by Kwong Yee Cheng, on Flickr[/IMG]
image hosted on flickr

Busch-Brock by Nikon66, on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

Busch Stadium by Goldenboi24k, on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

Busch Stadium (_DSC5564a) by markwhitt, on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

Target Field by Brendan Meier, on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

Target Field Inaugural Game by Icedavis, on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

The K after the game, 16 May 2009 by photography.by.ROEVER, on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

The K by Joshishi, on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

DSC_6471web by Robb Walter, on Flickr

I think the biggest advantage of MLB stadiums is their ability to be unique. So long as the infield is designed with the bases and pitchers mound at the right distance from each other, the designer is free to do whatever they want with the outfield shape and dimensions. Many ballparks even tweak the way the dirt in the infield looks, or the cut of the grass just to give the ballpark even more individuality.

The other huge advantage is that the ballparks are, for the most part, much more intimate. You are much closer to the action and you feel more like a part of the game than in any other sports stadiums that I have been too, especially the monstrosities in the NFL.

Also, what's with the lack of scoreboards in European stadiums? They don't really seam to be a design element there at all.

All pictures courtesy StadiumPage.com, except for Target Field, Coors Field, Busch Stadium, Marlins Ballpark and Kauffman Stadium, which are cited appropriately.
Anubis2051 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2011, 10:31 PM   #118
JimB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis2051 View Post
Then you must have no taste. IMO, there are only two ugly stadiums in all of MLB: Oakland and Tampa Bay

I happen to agree with you that MLB has the most beautiful stadiums.

But the thing about taste - the reason why people can't go around saying ridiculous things like "it's not debatable" - is that beauty is entirely subjective.

It does not exist in and of itself. It has to be seen and felt and judged. It only exists in the eye of the beholder. And each beholder will see it differently.

So I'm quite happy to accept that others believe, say, Bundesliga stadiums to be the most beautiful - even if I disagree with them.
Old August 7th, 2011, 11:35 PM   #119
Alemanniafan

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis2051 View Post

And they've been actively trying to replace both of those for some time now. (I would have included Miami, but by this time next year that will be ancient history)

I think the biggest advantage of MLB stadiums is their ability to be unique. So long as the infield is designed with the bases and pitchers mound at the right distance from each other, the designer is free to do whatever they want with the outfield shape and dimensions. Many ballparks even tweak the way the dirt in the infield looks, or the cut of the grass just to give the ballpark even more individuality.

The other huge advantage is that the ballparks are, for the most part, much more intimate. You are much closer to the action and you feel more like a part of the game than in any other sports stadiums that I have been too, especially the monstrosities in the NFL.

Also, what's with the lack of scoreboards in European stadiums? They don't really seam to be a design element there at all.

All pictures courtesy StadiumPage.com, except for Target Field, Coors Field, Busch Stadium, Marlins Ballpark and Kauffman Stadium, which are cited appropriately.[/B]
To me the posted pictures beautifully demonstrate how simmilar and how much alike the MLB stadia look.
They're nice but just very, very few of those (not even a hand full) actually have a really unique look to them.

They're all good stadia and pretty nice, but I personally do have a problem picking out ones that I really do find beautiful.
But I actually do have to admit that I have the same problem with NFL stadia or the soccer stadia of the Bundesliga.
Most stadia of all the leagues (NFL, MLB, Bundesliga or Cricket) are just very average and practical buildings with little originality and hardly oustandingly appealing to the eye to truely be worthy of calling them beautiful.

But overall they all do indeed look pretty nice.

As I already wrote before I can't see where MLB stadia really do have more variety overall. To me they just vary little from each other, but in other ways than soccer stadia in gereal or the German Bundesliga stadia do from each other.

If you took the pictures posted here in this thread and would let a little kid (or someone whoever isn't very familliar with an of leagues) play memory with them , Im sure they'd find it much more difficult to distinguish the NFL stadia from each other than they would distinguishing the stadia of the German Bundesliga from each other. I believe so, because the stadia of the German Bundesliga have very easily distinguishable different shapes, roofs and exteriors and most importantly, they also do vary far more noticeably in their colours.
The MLB stadia certainly do have more variety in the little details though, artwork inside or around them, the scoreboards the views out of the stadia.
But to distuinguish the shown MLB stadia here from each other, one needs to pay far more attention to the little details.

So to me it all that just undermines my belief, that the architects and designers of MLB stadia sadly hardly took very much advantage of their given and theroetical freedoms and mostly just built very typically american and very uninspired uniform style standard stadia instead.

Of all the shown and discussed stadia I would personally say that only a hand full are truely beautiful stadia the rest are just merely pretty nice pretty high quality but average buildings.
No matter what league we look at, the overall collection naturally is pretty average of course. And just a few architects and designers sucessfully managed to come up with a truely unique and outstanding or truely beautiful stadium design.

To me most stadia are just "nice" stadia in any of the better leagues.

I personally have a hard time deciding which one league to chose as the one with the most beautiful stadia, because the stadia of different sports do look so different and barely comparable. A baseball stadium looks like a baseball stadium, a soccer stadium looks like a soccer stadium and an american football stadium like an american football stadium and a stadium for cricket looks like a stadium for cricket.
Which kind which type of these stadia one prefers is probably more a matter of personal taste than objectively debatable.

I would say we all here pretty much agree that the MLB currently has the worlds best or nicest collection of baseball stadia, the NFL the nicest and best collection of american football stadia and the bundesliga has the best and nicest collection of soccer stadia.
Which type of stadium is more beautiful than the other, wether stadia with or without roofs are nicer or if the view outside from the stadium is an important aspect of a stadium or not... we could probably be discussing those questions endlessly, without really getting anywhere.

And who here would really want go through all the fuzz of working out some just halfwhat objective and well balanced list of key criteria, by wich then stadia could be compared, judged and ranked as more or less beautiful than another, and by which then eventually one complete collection of stadia of a single league could be chosen as the overall winner?

And even if we did, who wouldn't then want to endlessly discuss the outcome or the balance of criteria to get the personally preferred result as an outcome?

Last edited by Alemanniafan; August 7th, 2011 at 11:45 PM.
Alemanniafan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2011, 11:42 PM   #120
JimB

By the way, Anubis, for future reference, can I ask that you don't post so many pictures on one page? Because this page now keeps on jumping up the screen as each picture loads. And the whole process seems to take forever! Very frustrating when you're trying to read or write something at the bottom of the page! Many thanks.