daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 7th, 2011, 11:49 PM   #121
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2762

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
How tedious must baseball be when the cityscape is an important attraction in the ground.
Nice views totally destroy the atmosphere and quality of the experience. Genius logic.

Kind of like a grand cathedral is destroys a perfectible good wedding service.

Sponsored Links
Old August 8th, 2011, 12:37 AM   #122
AdidasGazelle

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post
??

I never said otherwise!

??

I never said you did!

Re-read my post and you will realise.
AdidasGazelle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 12:57 AM   #123
JimB

Likes (Received): 4813

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdidasGazelle View Post
??

I never said you did!

Re-read my post and you will realise.
I was aware of that. But it appeared to be implicit in your post!
JimB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 01:41 AM   #124
KingmanIII

Likes (Received): 415

KingmanIII no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 08:10 AM   #125
FrankCostello

Likes (Received): 4

MLB hands down!
FrankCostello no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 10:32 AM   #126
ElvisBC

Likes (Received): 253

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeno2 View Post
and I take the liberty to add: No roof, no glory.
americans still need some time to figure out roof is necessity and becoming requirement for a modern stadium no matter where in the world! building such a great stadium as, for an example, new meadowlands is, but giving it no roof is a huge and ridiculous mistake ....but they will figure it out, soon or a later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weava View Post
The lack of roofs make the american stadiums way better. They were built for fall outdoor sports. They weren't built for a sport in which the fans are afraid of the sun...
roof is there mainly because of rain and wind, not because of sun. you obviously need some time to fugure it out as well

edit: I agree there is not much sense in giving baseball ballparks roofs, but these are ballparks, not stadiums

Last edited by ElvisBC; August 8th, 2011 at 10:42 AM.
ElvisBC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 10:37 AM   #127
ElvisBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoroushPersepolisi View Post
if we want to compare fans , lol, america has far less to offer in comparisson to europe
being a fan in the states means something completely different than over here. I would not compare it. especially in terms of support during the game.
and talking about (real) football (not an american one), americans hardly know what it is, most of them understand zero about it, how the hell should they support their teams in a european way. simply two worlds not to be compared!
Old August 8th, 2011, 11:56 AM   #128
carlspannoosh

Likes (Received): 745

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisBC View Post
americans still need some time to figure out roof is necessity and becoming requirement for a modern stadium no matter where in the world! building such a great stadium as, for an example, new meadowlands is, but giving it no roof is a huge and ridiculous mistake ....but they will figure it out, soon or a later.
No wonder the Americans get annoyed. There are plenty stadiums in the USA that have roofs. When they don't have a roof it isn't ignorance it is a deliberate preference. Who are you to tell Americans how to build their stadiums for their own sports?
carlspannoosh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 01:35 PM   #129
Commandant

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
It's funny, you talk shit about American stadiums, but the same architecture firm that designs our stadiums, also designs a lot of the stadiums in your country... Or have you forgotten?

POPULOUS (www.populous.com)

Reebok Stadium - Bolton, England, UK - Bolton Wanderers F.C. (1997)
Ipswich Town Football Club, North Stand at Portman Road - Ipswich, England, UK - Ipswich Town Football Club (2002)
Emirates Stadium - London, UK - Arsenal Football Club (2006)
Stadium:mk - Milton Keynes, UK - Milton Keynes Dons F.C. (2007)
Wembley Stadium - London, UK - England (joint project with Foster and Partners) (2007)
Fossetts Farm Stadium - Southend, UK - Southend United (2011)

FNB Stadium (formerly Soccer City) - Johannesburg, South Africa - South Africa (2009)
Aviva Stadium (formerly Lansdowne Road) - Dublin, Ireland - Ireland (2010)
Swedbank Arena - Stockholm, Sweden - Sweden (2012)
OL Land - Lyon, France - Olympique Lyonnais (2013)
Estádio da Luz - Lisbon, Portugal - S.L. Benfica (2004)

So an American architecture firm designs European soccer stadiums...
Commandant no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 02:05 PM   #130
ElvisBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlspannoosh View Post
No wonder the Americans get annoyed. There are plenty stadiums in the USA that have roofs. When they don't have a roof it isn't ignorance it is a deliberate preference. Who are you to tell Americans how to build their stadiums for their own sports?
nope. most of those stadiums are great, I visited many of them, but they still have to figure out they need the roof I never said it was ignorance, I meant their deliberate preference is wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandant View Post
It's funny, you talk shit about American stadiums, but the same architecture firm that designs our stadiums, also designs a lot of the stadiums in your country... .....
see above, no shit, great stadiums but missing the roofs
that's why I would also put German Bundesliga in the first place and NFL into second
Old August 8th, 2011, 02:19 PM   #131
carlspannoosh

Quote:
I meant their deliberate preference is wrong
Well I think that your assumption that their preference is wrong is also wrong.
Old August 8th, 2011, 02:29 PM   #132
Commandant

Honestly why are threads like this started? Yes, this is a forum, but do these types of topics ever lead to anything useful? We've debated this roof/no roof thing over and over again in other threads but what has that lead to? NOTHING! Nobody seams to change they're opinions, it's just a constant back and forth, and a lot of people use this as an opportunity to take a pot shot at Americans, so can a mod just close this thread? The sooner the better...
Old August 8th, 2011, 02:37 PM   #133
GEwinnen
Rekordvizemeister

Likes (Received): 2748

Quote:
Originally Posted by weava View Post
It looks like a warehouse with shipping container cranes, ugly.

I will never understand how a industrial and cold looking euro stadiums with this style of roof could even be considered attractive.
It's a joke that an american complains about roof construction / roof support...

Quote:
MLB has hands down the best exteriors and its not even debatable.
This kitschy retro style is really awful. Beside this, the game called "baseball" is the most boring game on earth.
Have you ever asked yourself why FOOTBALL is spread all over the globe and not your "football" and baseball?

The european style modern football stadium is the perfect stage for the most popular sport of the world!
GEwinnen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 02:43 PM   #134
Commandant

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEwinnen View Post
Have you ever asked yourself why FOOTBALL is spread all over the globe and not your "football" and baseball?
A quote from Daniel Tosh about soccer:

Quote:
Oh, ‘it’s the most popular sport in the world.’ Probably because it’s cheap to play. It costs a ball.
Old August 8th, 2011, 02:53 PM   #135
GEwinnen
Rekordvizemeister

Likes (Received): 2748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandant View Post
A quote from Daniel Tosh about soccer:

.... baseball: some balls and some baseballbats
.... AF: an egg
GEwinnen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 03:49 PM   #136
ElvisBC

Quote:
Well I think that your assumption that their preference is wrong is also wrong.
My assumption is based on many facts, and here is one that hurts the most. Americans have their own invention called club tickets which is just another name for next stage ripoff, even when compared to category A+ (or 1+) tickets as known in Europe. So they sell premium price tickets to the people, and then let them sit in rain
Old August 8th, 2011, 03:58 PM   #137
Rev Stickleback

Likes (Received): 1925

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis2051 View Post
Also, what's with the lack of scoreboards in European stadiums? They don't really seam to be a design element there at all.
There's on average about 3 goals a game. Unless you have alzheimers, remembering the score shouldn't be too difficult.

Saying that, very few these days don't have a scoreboard. They just tend to be high up and rarely in normal camera shot. Because the game doesn't lend itself to the array of stats most US sports have, there isn't a requirement to have a large scoreboard to display those stats on.
Rev Stickleback no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 04:07 PM   #138
carlspannoosh

Quote:
My assumption is based on many facts, and here is one that hurts the most. Americans have their own invention called club tickets which is just another name for next stage ripoff, even when compared to category A+ (or 1+) tickets as known in Europe. So they sell premium price tickets to the people, and then let them sit in rain
As far as these forums are concerned at least it seems NFL stadia like Lambeau and Invesco Field are very popular. Again the logic is simple. If they want them that way who are we to tell them their preference is wrong?
Old August 8th, 2011, 04:12 PM   #139
JimB

Quote:
being a fan in the states means something completely different than over here. I would not compare it. especially in terms of support during the game.
and talking about (real) football (not an american one), americans hardly know what it is, most of them understand zero about it, how the hell should they support their teams in a european way. simply two worlds not to be compared!
Support at American sports events may differ in character from that which we see at some football (soccer) stadiums around the world. But American sports fans are no less passionate or loud. Especially college football (gridiron).
Old August 8th, 2011, 04:18 PM   #140
JimB

Quote:
Precisely.

Elvis - many Americans prefer their stadiums to have no roof. They like to be open to the elements. It's all part of the experience for them - just as chanting or flag waving is an integral part of the experience for football (soccer) fans around the world.

Being consciously and deliberately patronising towards them isn't clever. It's just embarrassing. Please desist. And just accept that they don't want the same thing from a stadium that you want. No need be contrary. Cheers.