daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 8th, 2011, 04:32 PM   #141
T3amgeist

Likes (Received): 19

I love US Sports, they have so much great Leagues to choice from, NBA, NFL, MLB. Here in Europe we got only one Big Football (Soccer) League in each country, leagues in other Sports are not worth to mention.
T3amgeist no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 8th, 2011, 05:41 PM   #142
Alemanniafan

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Stickleback View Post
There's on average about 3 goals a game. Unless you have alzheimers, remembering the score shouldn't be too difficult.

Saying that, very few these days don't have a scoreboard. They just tend to be high up and rarely in normal camera shot. Because the game doesn't lend itself to the array of stats most US sports have, there isn't a requirement to have a large scoreboard to display those stats on.
Plus soccer doesn't have much interruptions, just the halftime break where everyone hurries to get some beer or go to the restrooms.
And slowmotions of goals or critical situations and referee decisions aren't allways allowed to be shown within in a stadium during the match for safety reasons.
So scoreboards in european stadia are much less used for multimedia entertainment and information during the gameplay due to the lack of smaller interruptions. They mostly just serve to show the remaining time left to play, other matchday livescores in the league a few game statistics now and then and avertisements and interviews before and after the game and during halftime break.
In american football baseball, ice hockey and Baseball there are much more smaller interruprions in a match, numerous timeouts and so on. Those are perfect to be filled with multimedia entertainment and advertisements on large screens/ scoreboards. And to an extend which by far exeeds the opportunities soccer offers for such multimedia entertainment.

So european soccerfans widely view the few presentations of statistics and gameplay info along with the sponsorshipadvertisements (like "XY-Ltd proudly presents you the yellow card for Player... ) on the scoreboards during a match as distracting and annoying disturbances of the game.

In soccer scoreboards generally tend to lack the positive attitude, asociations or immage of fans they have in those sports that are most common in the US. In soccer they're mostly viewed as an annoying tribute to all the modern and commercial aspects of a professional sport and generally tend to be viewed as unnecessary, annoying, mostly useless and just distracting from the "pure sport" itself. And indeed, they hardly do offer very much of a beneficial service for the stadium visiors in a soccer match. Nearly all of the necessary information during a soccer match is being broadcasted via the stadium speakers by voice.
Old August 8th, 2011, 06:45 PM   #143
AdidasGazelle

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post
I was aware of that. But it appeared to be implicit in your post!
Well that certainly wasn't my intention.
AdidasGazelle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 07:35 PM   #144
SoroushPersepolisi

Likes (Received): 5084

Quote:
Originally Posted by weava
It looks like a warehouse with shipping container cranes, ugly.

I will never understand how a industrial and cold looking euro stadiums with this style of roof could even be considered attractive. I'm not saying all roofs are ugly because I do like soccer city and livestrong park's roofs.
MLB has hands down the best exteriors and its not even debatable.
i think the industrial look is amazing. it gives a raw, sporty athletic feel

mlb has beautiful brickwork and stoning, nice facades, but they look more like a trainstation to me than an athletic complex

btw dortmund's stadium has the largest single wall stand in europe, the great "yellow wall"

Last edited by SoroushPersepolisi; August 8th, 2011 at 07:47 PM.
SoroushPersepolisi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 08:27 PM   #145
tonttula

Likes (Received): 180

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoroushPersepolisi View Post

mlb has beautiful brickwork and stoning, nice facades, but they look more like a trainstation to me than an athletic complex
Agree there.
To me those baseball stadiums look cheap. A bit like you try to create history to a building, but what you end up is plastic.
*hides*
tonttula no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 08:55 PM   #146
vadin

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonttula View Post
Agree there.
To me those baseball stadiums look cheap. A bit like you try to create history to a building, but what you end up is plastic.
*hides*
So, let me get this straight:

Brick/stone/masonry on a building looks cheap, but an industrial looking exterior is classy?

vadin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 09:13 PM   #147
zapor1

Likes (Received): 31

Football and baseball were meant to be played in the outdoors no matter the weather. So, that's the reason for the lack of roofs in many of the stadiums. Also, only recent stadiums have roofs. Think about the US economy recently. It's totally ****ed. Roofs are totally unnecessary for a sport like football or baseball and it also has never been complained about. A roof would just be a extra cost. Also, many baseball stadiums and also football stadiums are old.
zapor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 10:01 PM   #148
Pavlov's Dog

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alemanniafan View Post
Plus soccer doesn't have much interruptions, just the halftime break where everyone hurries to get some beer or go to the restrooms.
And slowmotions of goals or critical situations and referee decisions aren't allways allowed to be shown within in a stadium during the match for safety reasons.
So scoreboards in european stadia are much less used for multimedia entertainment and information during the gameplay due to the lack of smaller interruptions. They mostly just serve to show the remaining time left to play, other matchday livescores in the league a few game statistics now and then and avertisements and interviews before and after the game and during halftime break.
In american football baseball, ice hockey and Baseball there are much more smaller interruprions in a match, numerous timeouts and so on. Those are perfect to be filled with multimedia entertainment and advertisements on large screens/ scoreboards. And to an extend which by far exeeds the opportunities soccer offers for such multimedia entertainment.

So european soccerfans widely view the few presentations of statistics and gameplay info along with the sponsorshipadvertisements (like "XY-Ltd proudly presents you the yellow card for Player... ) on the scoreboards during a match as distracting and annoying disturbances of the game.

In soccer scoreboards generally tend to lack the positive attitude, asociations or immage of fans they have in those sports that are most common in the US. In soccer they're mostly viewed as an annoying tribute to all the modern and commercial aspects of a professional sport and generally tend to be viewed as unnecessary, annoying, mostly useless and just distracting from the "pure sport" itself. And indeed, they hardly do offer very much of a beneficial service for the stadium visiors in a soccer match. Nearly all of the necessary information during a soccer match is being broadcasted via the stadium speakers by voice.
I went to a soccer match in Portland a couple of weeks ago and noted some differences from what I'm used to from Europe.

Like other US sports venues, vendors come around selling beer, food and other things so you don't have to do anything but piss at the halftime break. Massive improvement.

They had a nice, big video scoreboard which showed replays, even of controversial calls. While they can certainly fan the flames of bad calls they can also dampen attitudes when you see that your initial impression was wrong and you see that your player did, in fact, commit a foul.

Unfortunately US soccer has copied the worst aspects of the global sport and prostitutes itself to sponsors on uniforms and the annoying moving video billboards.

One aspect that is very positive with the MLS is the salary cap and lack of relegation/promotion. Parity is assured and all teams have in theory an equal chance of succeeding. You are spared the European situation where the same 2-4 teams dominate year after year and the remaining clubs fight among themselves to maintain a balance and survive. "pure sport" my ass. It's all about money. No sport (besides boxing) is more corrupt than soccer and the Qatar catastrophe underscores this point.

I was really impressed by the fan support in Portand and the redo of the historic Civic Stadium from the 1920's into a soccer only stadium. It even has a roof

btw:My vote goes to US college football. Each venue is unique and the fan support is unparalleld.
Pavlov's Dog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 10:04 PM   #149
T3amgeist

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapor1 View Post
Football and baseball were meant to be played in the outdoors no matter the weather. So, that's the reason for the lack of roofs in many of the stadiums. Also, only recent stadiums have roofs. Think about the US economy recently. It's totally ****ed. Roofs are totally unnecessary for a sport like football or baseball and it also has never been complained about. A roof would just be a extra cost. Also, many baseball stadiums and also football stadiums are old.
It could be played outdoor with a roof only for the stands!
T3amgeist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 10:23 PM   #150
KingmanIII

Likes (Received): 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEwinnen View Post
It's a joke that an american complains about roof construction / roof support...

This kitschy retro style is really awful. Beside this, the game called "baseball" is the most boring game on earth.
Have you ever asked yourself why FOOTBALL is spread all over the globe and not your "football" and baseball?

The european style modern football stadium is the perfect stage for the most popular sport of the world!
KingmanIII no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 11:06 PM   #151
Marbur66

Likes (Received): 10017

Quote:

Modern ballparks with a traditional look have a great look to them, IMO. Baseball is unique in its traditions.
Marbur66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 11:33 PM   #152
JimB

Likes (Received): 4813

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbur66 View Post
Modern ballparks with a traditional look have a great look to them, IMO. Baseball is unique in its traditions.
To be fair, by definition, that is true of any sport.
JimB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2011, 12:05 AM   #153
Darloeye

Likes (Received): 84

All roofs should be made out of cheese.
Darloeye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2011, 12:55 AM   #154
Alemanniafan

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darloeye View Post
All roofs should be made out of cheese.

This is probably about as close as it gets.

(picture from www.agn.de)
Old August 9th, 2011, 01:16 AM   #155
SoroushPersepolisi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlov's Dog
I went to a soccer match in Portland a couple of weeks ago and noted some differences from what I'm used to from Europe.

Like other US sports venues, vendors come around selling beer, food and other things so you don't have to do anything but piss at the halftime break. Massive improvement.

They had a nice, big video scoreboard which showed replays, even of controversial calls. While they can certainly fan the flames of bad calls they can also dampen attitudes when you see that your initial impression was wrong and you see that your player did, in fact, commit a foul.

Unfortunately US soccer has copied the worst aspects of the global sport and prostitutes itself to sponsors on uniforms and the annoying moving video billboards.

One aspect that is very positive with the MLS is the salary cap and lack of relegation/promotion. Parity is assured and all teams have in theory an equal chance of succeeding. You are spared the European situation where the same 2-4 teams dominate year after year and the remaining clubs fight among themselves to maintain a balance and survive. "pure sport" my ass. It's all about money. No sport (besides boxing) is more corrupt than soccer and the Qatar catastrophe underscores this point.

I was really impressed by the fan support in Portand and the redo of the historic Civic Stadium from the 1920's into a soccer only stadium. It even has a roof

btw:My vote goes to US college football. Each venue is unique and the fan support is unparalleld.
the fact that in other places there is promotion and relegation is a wonderfull thing

what is the point if its the same teams every year? there is no ambition for lower teams, an aswell for teams in lower divisions if there is no promotion-relegation
Old August 9th, 2011, 01:41 AM   #156
vadin

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
the fact that in other places there is promotion and relegation is a wonderfull thing

what is the point if its the same teams every year? there is no ambition for lower teams, an aswell for teams in lower divisions if there is no promotion-relegation
The point is to win championships. In American sports, that is the goal of EVERY team from top to bottom.

What is the point of being in the league, if you are not trying to win the championship but only trying to avoid being at the bottom? If a team's ambition is it to not be in the bottom 3 to avoid being demoted, then IMO their expectations are way too low.
vadin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2011, 01:52 AM   #157
SoroushPersepolisi

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadin

The point is to win championships. In American sports, that is the goal of EVERY team from top to bottom.

What is the point of being in the league, if you are not trying to win the championship but only trying to avoid being at the bottom? If a team's ambition is it to not be in the bottom 3 to avoid being demoted, then IMO their expectations are way too low.
well if theres 2 months left in the season and your in the bottom half , you know you wont win anything, so where is the ambition for glory (if there is nothing at stake)??

all teams in all countries want to be champions at start, regardless if it is america or elsewhere. but after a while it is noticeable who wont. and aside that, whats the point of winning a lower division if there is no movement to a better division? its like a cardio bike, you pedal but reach nowhere
Old August 9th, 2011, 02:28 AM   #158
weava
Arch(Struct) Engineer

Likes (Received): 1962

Quote:
well if theres 2 months left in the season and your in the bottom half , you know you wont win anything, so where is the ambition for glory (if there is nothing at stake)??

all teams in all countries want to be champions at start, regardless if it is america or elsewhere. but after a while it is noticeable who wont. and aside that, whats the point of winning a lower division if there is no movement to a better division? its like a cardio bike, you pedal but reach nowhere
The teams may not move up/down, but the players do. In the NBDL and baseball farm system the main goal is to improve as a player so you can get "called up" to the big league club. Even the NHL has some affilitates in the minor leagues. The NFL is the only league without any minor league system since NFL Europa failed, but the NFL is also the only one of the Major leagues that requires players to go to 3 years of college(NBA requires 1 year) which makes the NCAA their feeder league
weava no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2011, 04:25 AM   #159
SoroushPersepolisi

Quote:
Originally Posted by weava View Post
The teams may not move up/down, but the players do. In the NBDL and baseball farm system the main goal is to improve as a player so you can get "called up" to the big league club. Even the NHL has some affilitates in the minor leagues. The NFL is the only league without any minor league system since NFL Europa failed, but the NFL is also the only one of the Major leagues that requires players to go to 3 years of college(NBA requires 1 year) which makes the NCAA their feeder league
i know how the system works lol i live in canada myself
but its the same in football (soccer)

lol
Old August 9th, 2011, 09:37 AM   #160
Commandant

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEwinnen View Post
.... AF: an egg
Is that what they've been using this whole time? Uh oh, someone better tell both codes of rugby (cause we kinda based our ball design on theirs...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingmanIII View Post
Commandant no está en línea   Reply With Quote