daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 9th, 2011, 10:00 AM   #161
Commandant

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darloeye View Post
All roofs should be made out of cheese.

Commandant no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 9th, 2011, 01:19 PM   #162
GEwinnen
Rekordvizemeister

Likes (Received): 2753

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darloeye View Post
All roofs should be made out of cheese.

=

GEwinnen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2011, 06:24 PM   #163
Pavlov's Dog

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoroushPersepolisi View Post
well if theres 2 months left in the season and your in the bottom half , you know you wont win anything, so where is the ambition for glory (if there is nothing at stake)??

all teams in all countries want to be champions at start, regardless if it is america or elsewhere. but after a while it is noticeable who wont. and aside that, whats the point of winning a lower division if there is no movement to a better division? its like a cardio bike, you pedal but reach nowhere
In most of Europe's football leagues the majority of the teams don't have any ambition being Champions at the beginning of the season.

In the US/Canada sports they have two incentives for watching at the end of the season:

- over half of the teams in professional sports other than baseball make the playoffs. The standings only determine the set-up of who plays who and which teams get home court advantage in the playoffs. Most teams are still fighting for a playoff spot with a month left.

- there is also a draft that gives teams access to the best young players outside the league in inverse order. Most teams out of a probable playoff series trade veterans to those teams for prospects and draft picks. These teams usually play those prospects at the end of a bad season to gives fans hope in a better future
Pavlov's Dog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2011, 07:03 PM   #164
Marbur66

Likes (Received): 10148

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadin View Post
The point is to win championships. In American sports, that is the goal of EVERY team from top to bottom.
Absolutely untrue.
Marbur66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2011, 07:05 PM   #165
Marbur66

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post
To be fair, by definition, that is true of any sport.
I may have chosen the wrong wording, but I was talking about how obsessed with traditions baseball is. Also, it's unique in the sense that the playing surface does not have uniform dimensions in all of the league's stadiums.
Old August 9th, 2011, 08:11 PM   #166
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2771

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbur66 View Post
Absolutely untrue.
I don't think that is untrue at least not completely. Though there is a clear income disparity between small/large market teams it isn't unheard of at all for the smallest market teams to win championships or produce quality runs. The NFL is the best example of this where smaller markets really do have a very good chance of being competitive and quickly if they are run well. Case in point look at Green Bay and Pittsburgh.

MBL baseball during the 70/80s had a great run where small market clubs did VERY well with Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Baltimore, Oakland, etc. even if it seems a bit lop sided today .

Hockey/NHL is pretty egalitarian as well where small markets such as Pittsburgh, Ottawa, Carolina, Buffalo, Tampa, etc. have had a good deal of success.

The NBA is probably the hardest to break through and be competitive but that arguably is more because of the dynamics of superstars in the sport rather then the market size. After all San Antonio (one of the smallest markets) has had a great run over the last decade and even small markets like Sacramento, Cleveland have had good stints.
Old August 9th, 2011, 09:10 PM   #167
SoroushPersepolisi

Likes (Received): 5141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlov's Dog
In most of Europe's football leagues the majority of the teams don't have any ambition being Champions at the beginning of the season.

In the US/Canada sports they have two incentives for watching at the end of the season:

- over half of the teams in professional sports other than baseball make the playoffs. The standings only determine the set-up of who plays who and which teams get home court advantage in the playoffs. Most teams are still fighting for a playoff spot with a month left.

- there is also a draft that gives teams access to the best young players outside the league in inverse order. Most teams out of a probable playoff series trade veterans to those teams for prospects and draft picks. These teams usually play those prospects at the end of a bad season to gives fans hope in a better future
in europe theres champion's league, europa league etc, which also are major goals for many clubs

there are also domestic cups, aside from the league, like the fa cup or the coppa italia, which all teams regardless of division play each other
Old August 9th, 2011, 09:27 PM   #168
Marbur66

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
I don't think that is untrue at least not completely. Though there is a clear income disparity between small/large market teams it isn't unheard of at all for the smallest market teams to win championships or produce quality runs. The NFL is the best example of this where smaller markets really do have a very good chance of being competitive and quickly if they are run well. Case in point look at Green Bay and Pittsburgh.

MBL baseball during the 70/80s had a great run where small market clubs did VERY well with Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Baltimore, Oakland, etc. even if it seems a bit lop sided today .

Hockey/NHL is pretty egalitarian as well where small markets such as Pittsburgh, Ottawa, Carolina, Buffalo, Tampa, etc. have had a good deal of success.

The NBA is probably the hardest to break through and be competitive but that arguably is more because of the dynamics of superstars in the sport rather then the market size. After all San Antonio (one of the smallest markets) has had a great run over the last decade and even small markets like Sacramento, Cleveland have had good stints.
I wasn't talking about small-markets, I was talking about rebuilding teams that know they are not going into a season to compete for a title.
Old August 9th, 2011, 09:34 PM   #169
Rev Stickleback

Likes (Received): 2000

Quote:
Also, it's unique in the sense that the playing surface does not have uniform dimensions in all of the league's stadiums.
How is that unique?

Field sizes vary in many sports.
Rev Stickleback no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2011, 09:51 PM   #170
vadin

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Absolutely untrue.
Alright Then. I can see it right now.

On the First day of training camp, Head Coach Ron Rivera of the Carolina Panther addresses his team.
Coach Rivera: OK, men. As you all know, last season was a tough one for us. We only won 2 games, but I assure you that we will work hard and fight to be better this year. Our goal is not to win the championship, but to finish with a winning record...
Starting wide receiver, Steve Smith, interrupting: F*ck that sh!t. Trade me!

Head football Paul Wulff of the Washington State Cougars calls a recruit to offer a scholarship.
Coach Wulff:Son, our staff watched your Junior tapes, and we like what we saw. We think you could make a big difference on our team next year, and we would like to offer you a scholarship to WSU. We've had a tough couple of years, but I assure you we are rebuilding. We can't compete with USC and Oregon for the championship, but we hope to not finish last in the league.
Unnamed Recruit: Thanks for the offer coach, but I'm going to be a Trojan. Fight on![CLICK]

Last edited by vadin; August 9th, 2011 at 09:59 PM.
vadin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2011, 12:28 AM   #171
josemi

Likes (Received): 1

oh nice war !

TV shows .. ooops sorry american sports vs world sports!

here we go United States .. the only country who do not like football, they need cheerleaders and breaks to eat hot-dogs .. they never will feel the emotions to support a real team, They have good SHOWS like NBA, NFL and others spectacles but you never will cry the day that your team is relegated after 80 years of history.
josemi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2011, 12:38 AM   #172
Scba

Likes (Received): 1421

Stop trolling.
Scba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2011, 02:58 AM   #173
rantanamo

Likes (Received): 353

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Stickleback View Post
How is that unique?

Field sizes vary in many sports.
Field Shape for MLB is the kicker. Outside of the infield, pretty much anything can be done.
rantanamo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2011, 05:47 AM   #174
mattec

Likes (Received): 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by josemi View Post
oh nice war !

here we go United States .. the only country who do not like football, they need cheerleaders and breaks to eat hot-dogs .. they never will feel the emotions to support a real team, They have good SHOWS like NBA, NFL and others spectacles but you never will cry the day that your team is relegated after 80 years of history.

(I know its in Canada, but still)

I kindly ask for you to stop being an ignorant ass.
You know nothing of the proud American/ Canadian sporting landscape.

Old August 10th, 2011, 05:48 AM   #175
koolio

Likes (Received): 1558

Yes ... although some unique field dimensions are a bit too much. I always felt that the short left field at Fenway is a tangible home-field advantage for the Red Sox. Also, that stupid hill and a pole in front of dead centre-field in Houston is just flat out ridiculous.
Old August 10th, 2011, 06:07 AM   #176
mattec

Likes (Received): 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolio View Post
Yes ... although some unique field dimensions are a bit too much. I always felt that the short left field at Fenway is a tangible home-field advantage for the Red Sox. Also, that stupid hill and a pole in front of dead centre-field in Houston is just flat out ridiculous.
those are tame compared to the Polo Grounds

image hosted on flickr
Old August 10th, 2011, 06:34 AM   #177
Commandant

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
oh nice war !

Cool, I like the new smilie for this!
Commandant no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2011, 07:50 AM   #178
RCM88x

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
oh nice war !

Your obviously just jellous.

Ohio Stadium is the most beautiful stadium in my opinion, especially at night.

The Birds Nest is also amazing.

RCM88x no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2011, 08:04 AM   #179
Marbur66

Quote:
oh nice war !

Troll much? Do yourself a favour and throw your computer out of the window immediately. I know this means you won't be able to engage in your daily online jerk-off session, but you can just close your eyes and use your imagination.
Old August 10th, 2011, 03:45 PM   #180
Alemanniafan

Likes (Received): 20

I'd say it's probably about time to close this thread here now.

Everything on topic has basically been said, and this flamewar surely won't lead anywhere.

And for the entertaining cheese collection... well I'm sure we could open or find another appropriate thread for that.