daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 30th, 2011, 02:05 AM   #1
Uppsala

Likes (Received): 53

A motorway from Europe to the Middle East

I think a motorway from Europe to Middle East is an old dream. I think the dream from Europe is specially to have a motorway to Istanbul. That means it is possible to go from London (via Eurotunnel trains) and Paris to Istanbul and the Middle East only with motorways. But we are not there yet. But they are building some of the missing links:

First missing link is E80 from Nis in Serbia to Dimitrovgrad at the Bulgarian border. But in Serbia they are building a new motorway at this part. So this is comming.

Next missing link is E80 from Dimitrovgrad and Kalotina at the Serbian and Bulgarian border to Sofia. I think Bulgaria still not building this missing link. When are they going to start with this?

Next missing link is from Parvomay to Harmanli in Bulgaria. I think this part is under contruction. But how is this going now?

Another missing link is around the border to Turkey from the area around Kapitan Andreevo in Bulgaria to Edirne in Turkey. Some part of it is not even dual carriageway. When do they start building this part?

How is it working in the Middle East? From Ankara there is a lot of missing links to the rest of Turkey and to the neighbor countries in the rest of Middle East. But I think also that motorways are old dreams in Europa. To have motorway to Syria, Lebanon and even Iran and Iraq. But how is this going?

Can we think about a future with motorways from Beirut, Aleppo and Damascus to Europe? And one day even a motorway from Saudi Arabia to Europe? Or is this just dreams?
Uppsala no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 30th, 2011, 04:26 AM   #2
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Why do you need a motorway to Saudi Arabia? If I ever go there by car, I'd be happy there's a road leading there at all. I think our only real interest is a motorway to Istanbul (which still lies in Europe after all), then you already have a motorway to Ankara and that's it. Not many Europeans drive further than that, at least not regularly so they'd need motorways. I think motorways there are pretty much their business.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2011, 12:32 PM   #3
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Turkey has many 4-lane highways in the interior where no official Otoyol do exist.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2011, 12:43 PM   #4
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1931

I want a motorway Europe-Beijing! Following this route from Korczowa, EU Border: Korczowa/Krakovets (UA)-Kyiv-Kharkiv-Volgograd (RUS)-Uralsk (KZ)-Almaty-Horgos (CN)-Urumqi-Hami-Mazongshan-Ejinaqi-Bayannur-Hohhot-Beijing.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2011, 01:46 PM   #5
EUSERB
Anti-EU

Likes (Received): 2523

this road would be nice because of Israel,it has a lot of tourists and nice roads,although it is a very long drive...
EUSERB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2011, 02:52 PM   #6
TrueBulgarian
Meditate on this, I will

Likes (Received): 2359

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uppsala View Post
Next missing link is E80 from Dimitrovgrad and Kalotina at the Serbian and Bulgarian border to Sofia. I think Bulgaria still not building this missing link. When are they going to start with this?
2012 hopefully. It should be ready by 2014-2015. The tenders will be in the beginning of 2012.

Quote:
Next missing link is from Parvomay to Harmanli in Bulgaria. I think this part is under contruction. But how is this going now?
The tenders for all of the remaining sections of the so-called Maritsa motorway have already been completed. It should be completed by 2013. Read more here.
TrueBulgarian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2011, 04:01 PM   #7
PhirgataZFs1694

Likes (Received): 1560

Quote:
I think a motorway from Europe to Middle East is an old dream. I think the dream from Europe is specially to have a motorway to Istanbul. That means it is possible to go from London (via Eurotunnel trains) and Paris to Istanbul and the Middle East only with motorways. But we are not there yet. But they are building some of the missing links:

First missing link is E80 from Nis in Serbia to Dimitrovgrad at the Bulgarian border. But in Serbia they are building a new motorway at this part. So this is comming.

Another missing link is around the border to Turkey from the area around Kapitan Andreevo in Bulgaria to Edirne in Turkey. Some part of it is not even dual carriageway. When do they start building this part?

How is it working in the Middle East? From Ankara there is a lot of missing links to the rest of Turkey and to the neighbor countries in the rest of Middle East. But I think also that motorways are old dreams in Europa. To have motorway to Syria, Lebanon and even Iran and Iraq. But how is this going?

Can we think about a future with motorways from Beirut, Aleppo and Damascus to Europe? And one day even a motorway from Saudi Arabia to Europe? Or is this just dreams?
I strongly support this dream too.

Few corrections&answers:
1)Serbia is building only 1/5 section from Nis-Gradina(SRB/BG border). We are expecting more soon.
2)In Bulgaria we would build Sofia-Kalotina motorway til 2014-1015 as TrueBulgarian said. Then we would build the Northen speedy tangent that is a new motorway north from Sofia city but south from the current northern bypass. It would connect Western Sofia Ring Road with Eastern Sofia Ring Road. Then we would build a second bridge over Sofia-Istanbul railway near Kazichene. Start date:unknown.
3)Half of Parvomay-Harmanli section is already U/C. The contract for the other half would be signed next week.
4)The existing Harmanli-Kapitan Andreevo motorway is half profile around Svilengrad. This section is likely to be finished also by 2014-15.
5)A 4km section is currently U/C bypassing the bulgarian border village of Kapitan Andreevo. Unfortunately the border checkpoint is unlikely to be removed in near future, IMO. So no motorway in this section.
PhirgataZFs1694 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2011, 04:05 PM   #8
ChrisZwolle
Road user

There is a motorway from Europe into the Sahara though, only the Strait of Gibraltar Bridge / Tunnel is missing. You can go all the way to Agadir by motorway.
Old July 30th, 2011, 04:38 PM   #9
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6140

It's gonna be largely one-way with all the immigration going on now
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2011, 12:57 AM   #10
Morsue

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
There is a motorway from Europe into the Sahara though, only the Strait of Gibraltar Bridge / Tunnel is missing. You can go all the way to Agadir by motorway.
Not quite yet, the Rabat bypass in Morocco is still not up to motorway standards. Three years to go for that to happen.
Morsue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2011, 04:31 PM   #11
Jakub Warszauer

Likes (Received): 548

Well... such a motorway (Europe <-> Middle East) will be constructed sooner or later, simply thanks to various projects, which "by the way" will create something bigger.

- It's a mattter of time and money when Balkan Peninsula will have a series of motorway connections with Western and Central Europe. Turkey has already a fine motorway connection to Balkan countries. It's a matter of time and money when Turkey will develop a country-wide motorway system. It's a matter of time and money when Turkey will have a motorway connections with it's southern and eastern neighbours.

All these connections will be build mostly for local, regional, national, inter-EU purpouses. Pure transit is nearly always a small portion of traffic.
Jakub Warszauer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2011, 04:37 PM   #12
PhirgataZFs1694

Likes (Received): 1560

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakub Warszauer View Post
Well... such a motorway (Europe <-> Middle East) will be constructed sooner or later, simply thanks to various projects, which "by the way" will create something bigger.

- It's a mattter of time and money when Balkan Peninsula will have a series of motorway connections with Western and Central Europe. Turkey has already a fine motorway connection to Balkan countries. It's a matter of time and money when Turkey will develop a country-wide motorway system. It's a matter of time and money when Turkey will have a motorway connections with it's southern and eastern neighbours.

All these connections will be build mostly for local, regional, national, inter-EU purpouses. Pure transit is nearly always a small portion of traffic.
IMHO, Tukey has to build two important motorway connections
1)Istanbul-Egnatia Odos
2)A motorway across the Dardanelles
PhirgataZFs1694 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2011, 12:46 PM   #13
bozata90

Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
The road between Kaikule (Turkish BCP) and Edirne is completely 2x2 with shoulders... It is not classified as motorway, because it is the only connectiuon between Edirne and the border, but it is a high-quality highway and traffic flows perfectly there.

A lot was said about the Bulgarian part, so I won't discuss it.

About Turkey - I do not know about any plans to connect Ankara to the coast motorway, but even now it is a 2+2 highway suitable for heavy traffic.
bozata90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2011, 01:00 PM   #14
ChrisZwolle
Road user

O-21 is planned / under construction from Ankara to Tarsus.
Old August 1st, 2011, 01:00 PM   #15
Switek
Zrzęda i Kiep Drogowy

Likes (Received): 150

There's a visualization of African, Asian and European highways network by engineer Eugeniusz Buszma published in 1946:

Source (in Polish): http://www.nowedrogi.pl/index.php?op...d=32&Itemid=93 click Mapa 2 at the bottom
Switek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2011, 03:12 PM   #16
spacetweek

Likes (Received): 255

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switek View Post
There's a visualization of African, Asian and European highways network by engineer Eugeniusz Buszma published in 1946:
Interesting - why is Hammerfest in Lapland so important? Probably they just wanted a road that went the whole way to the top.
http://www.irishmotorwayinfo.com/inex/roads/futures
spacetweek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2011, 09:38 PM   #17
Nima-Farid
BANNED

Likes (Received): 13

In Iran Tehran is connected to Tabriz by Freewa 600 km
There is Freeway planned between Tabriz and Turkish Border 280 km
So if Turkey builds Ankara Dogubayzit (Iran Border) Otoyol we can go from Tehran to Paris!
Nima-Farid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2011, 11:30 PM   #18
mediar
Digital.Creation

Likes (Received): 5335

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacetweek View Post
Interesting - why is Hammerfest in Lapland so important? Probably they just wanted a road that went the whole way to the top.
Or he just wanted motorway to Santa Claus' house. You know, who doesn't want that?

НЕ ИЗПОЛЗВАЙТЕ GOOGLE-СКИ САЙТОВЕ ЗА ХОСТИНГ НА СНИМКИ!!!
mediar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2011, 11:49 PM   #19
gmacruyff

Likes (Received): 1416

Also need a motorway.joining Malko Turnavo(bulgarian-turkish border)with Bourgas and continuing to Varna,Constanta(Romania),Moldova,Odessa(Ukraine).Basically along the European Black sea coast,connecting it to Asia.
gmacruyff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2011, 01:32 PM   #20
Messi
Tinerci Gençlik

Likes (Received): 2429

I don't know about other missing parts across Europe but in Turkey we can't really say there is a missing part. Officially the part between Ankara and Adana might not be a motorway but this is the case with lot of 2x2 roads in Turkey.

For instance the Black Sea coastal road of 600km length is not a motorway officially but in fact it is one.

This is the "missing link" between Ankara and Adana. I think we can say that Europe is already connected to the mideast.
Messi no está en línea   Reply With Quote