daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 1st, 2011, 03:51 PM   #1
rheintram
yeah, whatever

Likes (Received): 910

Converted underground structures

I was looking at pictures of the construction of Vienna's new central railway station (see: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=238889) when I stumbled upon the picture below. The construction site used to be the site of two railway stations. While most of these old stations was demolished, a few artifacts remain, such als the "Steudeltunnel", a former railway tunnel. Now it seems that the tunnel is used to build a sewer or water drainage inside.

I wondered about similar underground structures around the world that were converted into something different.

A very famous example is the London Thames Tunnel, which was a pedestrian tunnel and today forms a part of the East London Line: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thames_Tunnel

Another example is Vienna's U4 club. It was built into an abandoned part of U4 Meidling Hauptstra▀e metro station.
rheintram no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 9th, 2011, 02:43 PM   #2
coxhead andy

Likes (Received): 0

I ever heard about this before read it here I found informative link from above article and it's very useful to know about it in brief and if you have many more information likewise same then please share here with for that thanks in advance.

Last edited by coxhead andy; May 11th, 2012 at 09:39 AM.
coxhead andy no está en línea   Reply With Quote