daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 3rd, 2011, 01:28 PM   #21
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2087

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
What does it have the kit?. Do any shop sell the "compulsory kit" together or you must go buying loose parts for it?

It seems interesting. Normally nothing happens but...
I guess they are sold with the car in Germany, but you can also buy a complete kit. Since my car is registered in Italy, I don't need it.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 3rd, 2011, 02:14 PM   #22
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1190

In Hungary, drivers are required to carry proof of valid compulsory third-party liability insurance in the vehicle and present it upon demand.
These are commonly mailed by insurance companies, maybe after payment of insurance fee.

Interestingly, such proof (or a "Green card") is not compulsory for Hungarian vehicles in most European countries - the license plate is considered as proof of valid insurance. So foreign countries have more trust in Hungarian drivers to have valid insurance than their own country.
Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2011, 04:23 PM   #23
alserrod
Bienvenue ŕ Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvinus View Post
In Hungary, drivers are required to carry proof of valid compulsory third-party liability insurance in the vehicle and present it upon demand.
These are commonly mailed by insurance companies, maybe after payment of insurance fee.

Interestingly, such proof (or a "Green card") is not compulsory for Hungarian vehicles in most European countries - the license plate is considered as proof of valid insurance. So foreign countries have more trust in Hungarian drivers to have valid insurance than their own country.

I will update information with accuracy...

In Spain, drivers ares required to carry the insurance receipt. Only valid the original, not photocopies or something like that.
The problem is when you have a bank where operating by internet and they send you pdf. I printed it and had problems with the police. They said it was not valid because it could be a photocopy. I said it was a bank operating only by internet and they could check, calling the bank or the insurance company that it was valid.

It is valid until 15 days after expired. This is because you can need time to receive the new receipt (and event if you stop your insurance and change later, the old one must cover you for those 15 days, but only to third people risks).

Since two years ago, insurance companies send information to the traffic administration. So then, any police can ask by radio the information and do not ask for the documents, but just ask to the traffic administration if the car is all right in that way.
Problem???? It is not mandatory for insurances to send data. All of them send it... but it is not mandatory. If a problem with data, the police will require you the bank receipt... and it is your responsibility to show it.
This is why... every year when I receive the pdf file, I print, I go to the bank office (maybe I go three or four times per year and this is one of them), I ask them to stamp it (so then it becomes "original") and I always carry it in my car.

"Green car insurance" is not accepted without any document you can prove that your insurance is on effect. This is why they ask the original bank receipt.

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2011, 05:05 PM   #24
nerdly_dood
Possibly Registered User

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
So if it snows in spring, you don't need chains?
It doesn't snow in spring. If it snows in May then it's still winter.

Some states in America also require proof of insurance to be carried in the car, but not all - it's still wise to have it anyway.
nerdly_dood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2011, 05:27 PM   #25
alserrod
Bienvenue ŕ Saragosse

At Spain, chains aren't required in winter, but if snow or ice, there can be signals that reccommend them or make mandatory, as well as they can restrict the traffic only for cars, cars and buses, etc...

Yes... in the country of the Sun and beaches it also snow on winter. There are a lot of mountains, some of them over 3000m and (correct me if wrong) and 50% of the centre of the country is on an "high plain".
Correct me if wrong... but Madrid is the second highest capital in Europe. It is 650 m over sea level. Highest than Vienna, Vaduz, Bern...

(the highest capital is Andorra la Vella with 990 m over sea level, in the middle of Pyrenees).

Old August 3rd, 2011, 05:42 PM   #26
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2087

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdly_dood View Post
Some states in America also require proof of insurance to be carried in the car, but not all - it's still wise to have it anyway.
In Italy also you must carry the insurance receipt in the car. I guess it is not so in Germany. Once I had an accident in Italy with a German car: I had my proof of insurance with me, and I was amazed that the German guy didn't have his.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2011, 06:06 PM   #27
alserrod
Bienvenue ŕ Saragosse

What at Spain it is required is to prove you have an insurance in case of crash or accident.

And... it can be proved by police (calling the central office and asking) or showing the bank receipt.
Insurances send data but if there is a problem in sending data is your responsibility to carry the receipt (not usual but I read a news about one problem in this way).

And I always talk about the bank receipt because you can ask for an insurance and cancel it later... so then the ask the original receipt. Most of them are payed automatically by bank but if you payed in the insurance office in cash, credit card, etc... and they gave you a receipt, it is also valid as well.
In case of receipts sent by pdf file, you have some days to refuse them. Banks wait that period and they will stamp it with no problem.

In the receipt it must appear the type of car (mark and model), plate number, dates that apply (from... to...) and type of insurance you have (even if all of them have the minimum mandatory requests).

Old August 3rd, 2011, 06:52 PM   #28
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

In the UK in the case of an accident you trade insurance details, but you're not required to have proof on you, nor are you required to have your driving license on you.

In Portugal you always have to have your diving license if driving and the insurance goes on the windscreen.

In Ireland it goes on the windscreen too
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2011, 07:34 PM   #29
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1818

In Estonia, a first aid kit is compulsory for a company car but not for a private car. In addition to that you must have a fire extinguisher, a pair of wheel chocks, a reflective triangle and (as of 1 July 2011) a high visibility jacket, in case you need to stop your car on a hard shoulder when it's dark or the visibility is poor.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2011, 08:16 PM   #30
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Interesting responses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post
One thing is taking your car to Europe with US plates, a totally different story is trying to get your car European registration plates. Which one do you mean?

BTW, snow chains are only necessary in mountainous areas. We have snow in Estonia for 2-4 months every winter and nobody uses snow chains.
My specific question wasn't moving to Europe but what would I need to do to my Pennsylvania-registered car to use it in Europe for, say, a month to a year. As I said, this would require more money and free time than I'll have for the foreseeable future, but a guy can dream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdly_dood View Post
It doesn't snow in spring. If it snows in May then it's still winter.

Who doesn't require proof of insurance to be carried? I wasn't even thinking about paperwork, more physical things about the actual vehicle. That said, though, the first time I drove to Canada, in the '80s, advice published at the time said Americans driving in Canada needed to get a Canadian proof-of-insurance card from your insurance agent; the card you got from your insurer that is sufficient proof of insurance in the U.S. wasn't acceptable in Canada for some reason. I have no idea if this is still true. The last two trips I didn't do that - I didn't decide not to; just forgot about it until afterwards - but I didn't get into any trouble (accident or whatever) anyway so the issue didn't come up.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2011, 08:18 PM   #31
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Seeing all those American cars roaming around Europe on (one of) the license-plate thread(s) provokes me to ask a question: if an American takes his own car to Europe, what sort of things does he need to do for it to be legal there. I'm thinking of British people adjusting headlights as they cross the Channel....
In terms of SHIPPING vehicles from Europe to North America for touring purposes, you need the following: Registration and insurance documents, including an English translation if the vehicle is from a non English speaking country. Canada (and probably the US too) recognizes EU number plates, so a Nationality decal isn't required, though it certainly won't hurt to have one. Your national Driver's License is generally recognized, though an English translation may be required. In some instances, an IDP (International Driver's Permit) is required. Check with your national Auto Club for more info.

For N. American vehicles that are shipped to Europe, much of the same applies. Registration and Insurance papers, with translated copies if required. N. American plates are recognized in Europe, though it is (to the best of my knowledge) required to have a Nationality Decal from the country in which it is registered. Driver's Licenses are recognized, though an IDP is your best bet. Depending on the country, you will need one, or all of the following: Spare bulbs, warning triangle, flares, fire extinguisher and a few other items I can't remember.

In both cases, you can keep your vehicle in a particular country for a maximum ONE year, before you have to register it in that country.
Old August 3rd, 2011, 08:41 PM   #32
Pavlemadrid
Madrileńian member

Likes (Received): 2531

Quote:
At Spain, chains aren't required in winter, but if snow or ice, there can be signals that reccommend them or make mandatory, as well as they can restrict the traffic only for cars, cars and buses, etc...

Yes... in the country of the Sun and beaches it also snow on winter. There are a lot of mountains, some of them over 3000m and (correct me if wrong) and 50% of the centre of the country is on an "high plain".
Correct me if wrong... but Madrid is the second highest capital in Europe. It is 650 m over sea level. Highest than Vienna, Vaduz, Bern...

(the highest capital is Andorra la Vella with 990 m over sea level, in the middle of Pyrenees).
Some plains in Spain live these situations in winter:
http://foro.meteored.com/puramente+m...t113914.0.html
Pavlemadrid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2011, 09:40 PM   #33
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
... the first time I drove to Canada, in the '80s, advice published at the time said Americans driving in Canada needed to get a Canadian proof-of-insurance card from your insurance agent; the card you got from your insurer that is sufficient proof of insurance in the U.S. wasn't acceptable in Canada for some reason. I have no idea if this is still true.
It is still true. I drove to Canada 8 times, and most of the time I had a yellow slip with the insurance information written in English and French. However, CBSA people do not check for it and I was never stopped by police in Canada, so I cannot tell what would have happened had I not had it.
Old August 3rd, 2011, 10:49 PM   #34
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post
In Estonia, a first aid kit is compulsory for a company car but not for a private car. In addition to that you must have a fire extinguisher, a pair of wheel chocks, a reflective triangle and (as of 1 July 2011) a high visibility jacket, in case you need to stop your car on a hard shoulder when it's dark or the visibility is poor.
So every car in Estonia is equipped with a fire extinguisher ?

This idea is probably from old soviet times when cars easilly caught fire. I think it's about time you abolish this unnessecary regulation. I actually drove in Estonia but I didn't see any infromation about compulsary fire extinguisher.
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2011, 12:24 AM   #35
alserrod
Bienvenue ŕ Saragosse

Quote:
Who doesn't require proof of insurance to be carried?

In Spain if the insurance company has sent to traffic authority your data insurance. Police can ask all data anywhere calling by radio and check that your insurance is all right.

The next step is make mandatory for all companies to send them. Nowadays the "use" to send, but it is not mandatory (and your responsibility to have a proof of insurance).

On other way... once I went to a garage because I have a car mirror broken. In the garage they asked me the insurance receipt. I asked why and the reason was very simple:
Should the insurance indicates the mirror-break is covered, they will take the name of the company and number of the insurance to send the bill.
Shoul the insurande does not indicate it or should I do not carry, they will make me the invoice and I will have to send it to my company...

Old August 4th, 2011, 12:29 AM   #36
alserrod
Bienvenue ŕ Saragosse

We could make a summary according to different countries.

Is it required to carry:
- Insurance documentation
- Red triangles
- Reflectant jackets
- Spare wheels
- Loose parts
- First aid kit
- Chains

and explain some exceptions if apply.

Who begins?

Old August 4th, 2011, 12:38 AM   #37
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

Quote:
We could make a summary according to different countries.

Is it required to carry:
- Insurance documentation
- Red triangles
- Reflectant jackets
- Spare wheels
- Loose parts
- First aid kit
- Chains

and explain some exceptions if apply.

Who begins?
UK:
-No
-No
-No
-No
-No
-No
Driving license: No
Lights: No
Extinguisher: No

Portugal
-Yes
-Yes
-Yes
-No
-No
-No
Driving license: Yes
Lights: No
Extinguisher: No

Last edited by DanielFigFoz; August 4th, 2011 at 02:35 AM.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2011, 01:10 AM   #38
alserrod
Bienvenue ŕ Saragosse

Spain:
- Yes
- Yes
- Yes
- Yes
- Yes.... (lights) but it is going to be abolished and policemen are recommended to not ask for them
- No
- No
- No
- Driving license: Yes
- Fire extintor: No