daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 20th, 2015, 05:57 AM   #261
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

EVA Air's first flight to Houston just landed earlier today.

EVA Hello Kitty Shining Star Jet Lands in Houston

Quote:
Houston, Texas June 19, 2015. - EVA Air Chairman KW Chang served as captain in charge of the inaugural Taipei- Houston flight for a brand-new specially painted Boeing 777-300ER today. The airline tailored its new plane for Texas and named it the EVA Air Hello Kitty Shining Star Jet. With just one easy stop in Taipei, Houston passengers can now connect on to almost every business and leisure destination in Asia, including Mainland China. Travelers can book and buy tickets through travel agents, EVA ticket offices and online at www.evaair.com.

“The Asian community in Houston is growing at a faster rate than any other demographic group in the city,” said Houston Mayor Annise Parker. “That’s just one of the many reasons why it’s imperative that we establish and maintain strong air service throughout the Asian region. The arrival of EVA Airways is a tremendous step forward in meeting that vital goal.”

With its excellent services, top safety rankings, exceptional route system and co-share alliances, EVA gives travelers from Houston and the Southwest comfortable options for travel worldwide. From North America gateways that include Los Angeles, New York, San Francisco, Seattle, Toronto and Vancouver in addition to Houston, EVA operates more flights from North America with one-stop connections to more destinations throughout Asia than any other airline. Houston passengers can connect onward from Taipei via 86 flights to 10 cities in Southeast Asia, including Singapore, Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon), Manila, Kuala Lumpur, Bangkok, Phnom Penh, Jakarta, Surabaya and Denpasar. With subsidiary UNI Air, EVA operates an additional 131 weekly flights to 29 destinations in Mainland China and also flies to Guam, Korea, 10 major cities in Japan and more. It also makes flying more than just transportation.

Last edited by diablo234; June 20th, 2015 at 04:06 PM.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 15th, 2015, 05:42 PM   #262
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Houston Airport System plans for spaceport approved by FAA

Quote:
Houston, Texas June 30, 2015. - The Houston Airport System (HAS) has been granted a Launch Site License from the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) that enables Ellington Airport (EFD) to establish itself as a launch site for Reusable Launch Vehicles (RLV), making it the 10th commercial spaceport in the United States.

Nearly two years after Houston City Council members gave their overwhelming support for the project, the FAA’s formal approval opens the door for plans that could see Ellington Airport become a focal point for aerospace operations, such as the launching of micro satellites, astronaut training, zero gravity experimentation, spacecraft manufacturing and a host of other potential activities.

“Houston will play a lead role in commercial space operations in the 21st century,” said Houston Mayor Annise Parker. “We believe a licensed Spaceport in Houston will not only serve as an economic generator for the city but also enhance Houston’s well-deserved reputation as a leader and key player in the aerospace industry.”

After working closely with the FAA’s Office of Commercial Space Transportation, HAS now can move forward in establishing the required infrastructure and support facilities needed to accommodate RLVs — which execute horizontal launches, rather than vertical, similar to commercial aircraft.

“Houston has been at the forefront of aviation history and innovation for decades,” Houston Aviation Director Mario C. Diaz said. “Not only does this opportunity reinforce an already long-established connection with the aerospace industry, it offers Houston an opportunity to strengthen its reputation as a forward-looking city and leader in creating high-tech, next-generation type jobs.”

Situated near the Gulf of Mexico, and featuring more than 400 acres of land readily available for development, Ellington Airport is tailor-made for the requirements associated with an operating licensed Spaceport. As a whole, Houston offers a booming economy with a strong aerospace industrial base, a well-educated workforce with experience in the high-tech demands of space exploration and plenty of room for growth at a strategically located airport facility.

diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2015, 10:34 AM   #263
Seljuk

Likes (Received): 178

EVA will add to more flights from 4th February on thier recently launched TPE-IAH route.
Seljuk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2015, 12:09 AM   #264
killerk

Likes (Received): 1120

Houston airport loses international 'oil line' flight due to downturn

- dmca

BadHatter liked this post
killerk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2015, 09:02 PM   #265
Pink Jazz

Likes (Received): 73

From what I read, IAH plans on replacing its aging Inter-Terminal Train. However, the mystery is what will replace it? The existing tunnels are too narrow for any current off-the-shelf people mover system, so either the tunnels would have to be widened or the replacement system would have to be built above ground like the TerminaLink.

What do you think should replace the Inter-Terminal Train? And don't tell me that it is redundant with the TerminaLink, since TerminaLink serves airside traffic while the Inter-Terminal Train serves landside traffic.

I personally think the ideal replacement system would be an elevated landside people mover similar to the ATL SkyTrain or the PHX Sky Train, and would connect each terminal, the Marriot hotel, the EcoPark parking structure, and the light rail station. Of course, this would cost a lot of money.

Alternatively, moving walkways can be placed in the existing tunnels as a lower cost solution.
Pink Jazz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2016, 06:49 PM   #266
Леонид
Espartano

Likes (Received): 873

Just want to share with you guys my recent flight thru Houston // Flying the world : San Pedro Sula - Houston - Guadalajara

Flight 1
United Airlines
San Pedro Sula, Honduras to Houston, US
Boeing 737

Aeropuerto Intl. Ramon Villeda Morales to George Bush Intercontinental Airport
2 hrs aprox - Distance 1,106 m

So we are ready for yet another flight that I was delayed on showing you guys the report, this time to Guadalajara thru Houston, I know it seem weird but it was cheaper than taking Aeromexico.

All set inside the plane.

Aeromexico

Delta right next to us

Up in the air!!

Landing in Houston!!

Changing terminals, now going to the domestic terminal

The famous Houston control tower

Inside the other terminal

Flight 2
United Airlines
Houston, US to Guadalajara, Mexico
Embraer 145

George Bush Intercontinental Airport to Guadalajara Intl. Airport
2 hrs aprox - Distance 820 m

On my way to the plane

New plane

Pushback

On queu

Take off - you can see IAHs long runway

A nice rainbow

No snacks were given so we just landed! hahah

We parked next to Liliana

Thanks for the ride!!

Going to customs

External halls of the airport

Flying the world : Guadalajara - Houston - San Pedro Sula

Flight 3
United Airlines
Guadalajara, Mexico to Houston, US
Airbus A319

Guadalajara Intl. Airport to George Bush Intercontinental Airport
2 hrs aprox - Distance 820 m

I had time to walk the terminal a bit and I must say I really liked it, very clean and modern

Some plane spotting - Interjet

View of the customs area

Right next to Kevin

View from Guadalajara Intl.

Cargo

And we take off!!

Guadalajara from the air!!

Approaching Houston

Landed!!

Look who I found!!

Flight 4
United Airlines
Houston, US to San Pedro Sula, Honduras
Boeing 737

George Bush Intercontinental Airport to Aeropuerto Intl. Ramon Villeda Morales
2 hrs aprox - Distance 1,106 m

So I spent the night at Houston and came back next morning to take the flight back to SAP

This baby is taking me back!!

U cant tell whether its the sea or the sky

Approaching Honduras

Landed!!

Hope you enjoyed this report as much as I did putting it together.

Airports visited:
SAP - TGU - RTB - LCE - SAL - SJO - MIA - IAH - MFE - ATL - EWR - ALC - MAD - BCN - SVQ - FCO - BVA - VLC - BRQ - BTS - DOH - DXB - MXP - JFK - MEX - LHR - IAD - GUA - GDL - TPA - MCI - IND - DFW - GJT - DEN - FLL

My 10 top planes:
A340-600 / B777-300 / A330-300 / B787 / B747 / A350 / A380 / B727 / B737 / EMB190
Леонид no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2016, 09:10 PM   #267
killerk

Did you need a visa to transit through IAH???? I have heard that all international passengers arriving in US have to go through immigration/customs even if they are transit passengers...
Old March 29th, 2016, 11:52 PM   #268
Леонид
Espartano

Likes (Received): 873

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerk View Post
Did you need a visa to transit through IAH???? I have heard that all international passengers arriving in US have to go through immigration/customs even if they are transit passengers...
That is correct you need a valid US visa to transit any major airport in the states, thats why when I purchase any connecting flights I try to make connections with two hours to spare in case customs is taking a long time.

Airports visited:
SAP - TGU - RTB - LCE - SAL - SJO - MIA - IAH - MFE - ATL - EWR - ALC - MAD - BCN - SVQ - FCO - BVA - VLC - BRQ - BTS - DOH - DXB - MXP - JFK - MEX - LHR - IAD - GUA - GDL - TPA - MCI - IND - DFW - GJT - DEN - FLL

My 10 top planes:
A340-600 / B777-300 / A330-300 / B787 / B747 / A350 / A380 / B727 / B737 / EMB190

killerk liked this post
Леонид no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2016, 08:17 PM   #269
killerk

Singapore Airlines Adds Manchester – Houston; Moscow Changes in W16

Singapore Airlines in today’s (21JUL16) schedule update has made further adjustment to North American operation, mainly covering Houston, as well as changes to Manchester and Moscow.

Singapore – Manchester – Houston NEW routing from 30OCT16 with 3-class 777-300ER. Currently Houston is operated via Moscow. Manchester service becomes nonstop, no longer operating via Munich
SQ052 SIN0235 – 0900MAN1015 – 1435IAH 77W x14
SQ051 IAH1915 – 1005+1MAN1135+1 – 0820+2SIN 77W x25

Singapore – Moscow Domodedovo Service operates as terminator flight, overall frequency reduces from 5 to 4 weekly. 3-class 777-300ER operates this route
SQ362 SIN0025 – 0630DME 77W x357
SQ361 DME1455 – 0625+1SIN 77W x357

Source: http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/...hanges-in-w16/
Old January 24th, 2017, 01:58 PM   #270
()_T

Likes (Received): 2308

Eight new restaurants revealed for United's second phase at IAH

Quote:
Chicago-based United Continental Holdings Inc. (NSYE: UAL) and New York-based OTG, which specializes in airport redesigns, have revealed eight restaurants that will open in the second phase of the ongoing renovation at George Bush Intercontinental Airport.

Additional projects will continue through 2021, as existing restaurant leases throughout the terminals expire, according to Rick Blatstein, OTG’s CEO. Altogether, the projects will cost $120 million when completed, Gavin Malloy, United’s vice president of corporate real estate, previously told the HBJ.

In addition to the eight new planned restaurants in Terminals C South and E, United and OTG will also renovate the holding areas for passengers waiting to board flights, Malloy said.
Agave

[IMG]https://***************/view/img/10312655/iah-tc-south-agave-view-1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://***************/view/img/10312656/iah-tc-south-agave-view-2.jpg[/IMG]

Quote:
Agave from restaurateur Sharon Haynes, who started Taco A Go Go in Houston in 2006, is a casual taqueria that will focus on fajitas. Agave will be in terminal C South.
H-Burger

[IMG]https://***************/view/img/10312654/iah-tc-south-burger-bar-view-2.jpg[/IMG]

Quote:
H-Burger, a burger bar with ranch-to-table offerings with a Houston twist, will be in Terminal C South. H-Burger is from Houston Chef Antoine Ware, the chef behind Harold's Heights.
CIBO Express

[IMG]https://***************/view/img/10312660/iah-tc-south-cibo-express-gourmet-markets-view-1.jpg[/IMG]

Quote:
A new concept to IAH as part of the renovations are the CIBO Express Gourmet Markets, where United customers can use reward miles to purchase food and other items. Terminal E will also include a CIBO Express Gourmet Market.
Magnolia Meatball Shop

[IMG]https://***************/view/img/10312661/iah-tc-south-magnolia-view-1.jpg[/IMG]

Quote:
Magnolia Meatball Shop will offer comfort food and will be in Terminal C South. Magnolia Meatball Shop is a concept from Chef Christopher Williams, who co-founded Lucille's Restaurant in Houston.
BeerHive

[IMG]https://***************/view/img/10312662/iah-te-beerhive-view-1.jpg[/IMG]

Quote:
In Terminal E, BeerHive is a locally sourced craft beer bar. It will also include bar pies, sandwiches, salads and other foods.
Gavi

[IMG]https://***************/view/img/10312665/iah-te-gavi-view-1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://***************/view/img/10312666/iah-te-gavi-view-2.jpg[/IMG]

Quote:
Gavi is an Italian concept by by Chef Ryan Pera and will be in Terminal E. Pera is the chef behind Houston restaurants Coltivare and Revival Market. Gavi will also have a wine bar.
Q

[IMG]https://***************/view/img/10312667/iah-te-q-view-1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://***************/view/img/10312670/iah-te-q-view-2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://***************/view/img/10312669/iah-te-q-view-3.jpg[/IMG]

Quote:
Q is a project by Chef Greg Gatlin of Gatlin's BBQ and will be in Terminal E. Q will include fresh-smoked meats made in a custom smoker along with signature rubs.
Tanglewood Grille

[IMG]https://***************/view/img/10312672/iah-te-tanglewood-grille-view-2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://***************/view/img/10312671/iah-te-tanglewood-grille-view-3.jpg[/IMG]

Quote:
Tanglewood Grille is a collaboration between Chefs Seth Siegel Gardner and Terrence Gallivan. The chefs met developing Maze at the London Hotel in New York and are behind Houston's Pass and Provisions. Tanglewood Grille will be in Terminal E and serve hand-cut steaks, burgers, fresh seafood and farm-to-table greens.
Yume

[IMG]https://***************/view/img/10312673/iah-te-yume-view-1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://***************/view/img/10312674/iah-te-yume-view-2.jpg[/IMG]

Quote:
Yume will be in Terminal E and is a sushi and ramen kitchen with a focus on Japanese-sourced ingredients. Yume will also have an Asian biergarten and is a collaboration between Chefs Chris Kinjo and Mike Tran. Tran is also the chef at Tiger Den, a Houston yakitori and ramen restaurant and Kinjo is behind Houston's MF Sushi.

alemza liked this post
()_T no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2017, 04:47 AM   #271
Weatherguy

Likes (Received): 84

Has anyone had a flight using a gate at United's new north terminal C? It opened in March. Supposedly it's very nice.

I've been watching flights land and take off beyond the new terminal on an Earthcam webcam. However, of late, the stream freezes after 3 to 5 seconds. It's been that way for a couple of weeks.

If anyone is not having that problem, then it must mean the problem is with my laptop or connection. However, my connection tests out to be way faster what should be needed for a live stream. It's testing at about 50 mbps.

Here's the webcam:

http://www.earthcam.net/projects/hou...livestream.php
Weatherguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2017, 09:35 PM   #272
killerk

The question with all the bad PR they have been having should have been:
Has anyone had a flight using United?
Old April 25th, 2017, 04:16 AM   #273
Weatherguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerk View Post
The question with all the bad PR they have been having should have been:
Has anyone had a flight using United?
Haha...I knew someone would say something about that.

But really, I wish I could be able to view the webcam by Terminal C north without the freeze up. Earthcam hasn't responded to my inquiries.
Old August 17th, 2017, 05:27 AM   #274
Weatherguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherguy View Post
Has anyone had a flight using a gate at United's new north terminal C? It opened in March. Supposedly it's very nice.

I've been watching flights land and take off beyond the new terminal on an Earthcam webcam. However, of late, the stream freezes after 3 to 5 seconds. It's been that way for a couple of weeks.

If anyone is not having that problem, then it must mean the problem is with my laptop or connection. However, my connection tests out to be way faster what should be needed for a live stream. It's testing at about 50 mbps.

Here's the webcam:

http://www.earthcam.net/projects/hou...livestream.php

Well, it turns out that the webcam freeze-up occurs with Firefox but not I.E.. So I just use I.E. for the viewing.
Old September 7th, 2017, 10:41 PM   #275
killerk

United Airlines will fly non-stop from Houston to Australia

Ben Mutzabaugh, USA TODAY Published 9:48 a.m. ET Sept. 7, 2017 | Updated 1:32 p.m. ET Sept. 7, 2017

United Airlines will launch a new signature long-haul route from its hub at Houston Bush Intercontinental Airport.

The carrier says it plans to launch service to Sydney on Jan. 18, flying the 8,596-mile flight on Boeing 787-9 "Dreamliners." The route would become the second-longest flown by any U.S. airline and would be the only one connecting Houston to Australia. Flight time in the direction of Sydney is scheduled for 17 hours, 30 minutes, while the return to Houston is scheduled for 15 hours, 45 minutes.

United said the new Sydney service “reaffirmed its commitment to Houston” and its operation there.

“Our Houston hub is stronger than ever and it continues to be an absolutely vital part of our industry-leading network,” United president Scott Kirby said in a statement. “This new route will serve more than 70 cities across North America making one-stop service to Sydney faster and more convenient than ever before.”

Source: https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...lia/641076001/
Old September 19th, 2017, 02:52 AM   #276
ttownfeen

Likes (Received): 17

C North is very nice. Waiting spaces are filled with tables with mounted tablets instead of rows of chairs.
ttownfeen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2017, 01:12 AM   #277
killerk

Korean Air will be leaving Houston due to lack of demand....last flight is on Oct 13, 2017.

Tags
houston, northamerica airport hubs, texas, us airports