daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 8th, 2011, 12:35 AM   #1
Uppsala

Likes (Received): 53

A motorway from Berlin to Moscow

I think a motorway from Berlin to Moscow is an old dream for many. Specially for Russia and the EU. That means it is possible to go from London (via Eurotunnel trains) and Paris to Moscow and maybe more east in the future. I think this is something many polititians in Russia and the EU want to have like a symbol.

But we are not there yet. There are quite a lot of missing links now.

There is not any motorway from Berlin to Warsaw yet.

Is this something realistic with a motorway from Berlin to Moscow? Or is this just dreams?
Uppsala no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 8th, 2011, 12:39 AM   #2
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uppsala View Post
Is this something realistic with a motorway from Berlin to Moscow? Or is this just dreams?
I guess the worse problems would be in Belarus, where, I imagine, no good roads exist whatsoever.
Old August 8th, 2011, 12:57 AM   #3
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I guess the worse problems would be in Belarus, where, I imagine, no good roads exist whatsoever.
Would you believe me if I said that Belarus roads are better than Russian and Ukrainian roads? Belarus does not have a developed road infrastructure (motels, restaurants, etc), but the road quality itself is very decent.
Old August 8th, 2011, 01:51 AM   #4
Poul_
薄利多銷寵大企業。

Likes (Received): 839

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uppsala View Post

But we are not there yet. There are quite a lot of missing links now.

There is not any motorway from Berlin to Warsaw yet.
A2 highway from German border to Warsaw will be ready in 2012 , the worse thing is that in the near future there are no plans to build highway from Warsaw to Belarusian border , as I know :/
Old August 8th, 2011, 01:55 AM   #5
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

Quote:
Visas and the not so sympathetic government of Belarus would be much more of an issue than their roads. I've seen photos of their main route to Russia and it was certaionly in good condition
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 03:48 AM   #6
MrAkumana

Likes (Received): 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
Visas and the not so sympathetic government of Belarus would be much more of an issue than their roads. I've seen photos of their main route to Russia and it was certaionly in good condition
Yes, even nowdays a Berlin-Moscow trip would be much easier through Poland, Lithuania and Latvia (all schengen members) and then to Moscow rather than via Poland and Belarus. It's a bit longer but you save time with one border check less (with unpredictable waiting time) and save money with one less visa.
Old August 8th, 2011, 09:07 AM   #7
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19352

Quote:
Huuuuge misconception Belarus has the best roads in the former USSR (well, maybe apart from the Baltics), in fact, nearly all of the route from the Polish to the Russian border is a motorway. I even think Belarus has more motorways than Russia.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 09:07 AM   #8
ChrisZwolle
Road user

M1 in Russia is also a 4-lane highway, the only two-lane sections are in Poland.
Old August 8th, 2011, 09:15 AM   #9
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3705

How many km of motorways does Russia have?
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 09:34 AM   #10
ChrisZwolle
Road user

About 600 kilometers. Russia has many 4-lane routes, but most of them are not continuously grade-separated, they often have U-turns in the median. Belarus has almost 1000 km of motorways, and M1 accounts for approximately 60% of that.
Old August 8th, 2011, 10:30 AM   #11
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1407

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
I don't think visas will be an issue. As far as I know citizens of Belorus do not need a visa for Poland and citizens of Belorus only need passport to enter Russia.

The motorway would certainly be used between those countries.
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 10:58 AM   #12
fredis
Žalgiris Kaunas 4ever

Likes (Received): 3

Will you be satisfied to wait on Belarus border for 4-6 hours? That’s how long takes for Lithuanians to enter Belarus and for Belarusians to enter Lithuania.
fredis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 11:12 AM   #13
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1407

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredis View Post
Will you be satisfied to wait on Belarus border for 4-6 hours? That’s how long takes for Lithuanians to enter Belarus and for Belarusians to enter Lithuania.
what's the waiting time Lithuania-Poland ? if you decide to visit Berlin this future motorway would be useful for all the baltic states.

Now I see estonian trucks on the swedish E4 driving south. I think many of them choose the ferry Tallinn-Stockholm on their route to Germany and other countries because of worn out roads and lengthy custom procedures in the Baltics and Poland.
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 11:14 AM   #14
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordikNerd View Post
what's the waiting time Lithuania-Poland ?
0 minutes since 2007...
Old August 8th, 2011, 11:55 AM   #15
Szatek
hurrapesymista

Likes (Received): 496

Motorway A2 from German border to Warsaw should be ready around December 2012. There was a problem with Chinese contractor on some sections but eventually COVEC withdrew from the investment and the contract with a new company has been signed. Question of second phase of A2 is still unsolved. The government is going to announce a contest for Private Public Partnership in development of 152km-long Motorway A2 to Belorussian border in November 2011. For me it's debatable if they'll manage to find a reliable partner in crisis time but let's hope so...

Last edited by Szatek; August 8th, 2011 at 12:00 PM.
Szatek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 12:03 PM   #16
Fuzzy Llama
Puszysty samiec lamy.

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordikNerd View Post
I don't think visas will be an issue. As far as I know citizens of Belorus do not need a visa for Poland
Yeah, right.

Belorussians need a visa to enter Schengen territory. Those Schengen-wide short stay visas cost about 60€, which is A LOT in the country where average monthly wage is about 200€. They also can obtain free Poland-only visas, but they only applies for long-term stays.

On the other side, getting a Belorussian visa for a Pole is a real nightmare. I've considered a trip East some time ago and I resigned - the visas are expensive and getting one requires dealing with so much paperwork that I've decided that it's not worth the expense.
Fuzzy Llama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 12:13 PM   #17
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Before they even think about a motorway between Germany and Russia, step one would be to ease visa restrictions. I used to have a Russian girlfriend in St Petersburg, and you wouldn't believe how difficult it is to get a visa for Russia. For her it's easier to come to Schengen. Being so close to Finland, the Finnish consulate seems to supply Schengen-visa's like hot-dogs in New York City. I sometimes take her with me cruising around Europe in my van doing express deliveries, but once I have to go to England, she has to end up at a hotel in Calais, as GB isn't a Schengen-country, and she needs a separate visa.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 04:04 PM   #18
ilyan

Likes (Received): 861

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Huuuuge misconception Belarus has the best roads in the former USSR (well, maybe apart from the Baltics), in fact, nearly all of the route from the Polish to the Russian border is a motorway. I even think Belarus has more motorways than Russia.
Indeed Section between Polish and Russian border not motorway. It's 4 lane expressway without crash barriers with pedestrain crossing in one level with highway in some places and intersection in one level in some places. In Russia they have only 4-lane highway almost all intersecion in one level with highway and only some stretchs with crash-barriers. They need much more resources to upgrade this section to motorway standarts then Belarus.
ilyan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 05:20 PM   #19
void0
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2869

Somewhere between Moscow and Minsk
void0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 05:52 PM   #20
Мартин

Likes (Received): 4

How come it isn't night already at 21:35?
Мартин no está en línea   Reply With Quote